Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,753 members, 7,820,614 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:16 PM

5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Car. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Car. (23877 Views)

Man Filmed Driving A Self-made Car On The Streets Of Lagos (photos) / 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Transmission Car / 10 Reasons Why You Should Learn To Drive The Manual Car. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Car. by milestonejnr(m): 3:15pm On Oct 25, 2016
SOURCE: http://nolongtalk.com/driving-manual-wrongly-5-things-shouldnt-driving-manual-car/

As it stands now and with the current trend in car technology, majority of drivers will give you 1001 reasons why automatic cars are better than manual cars. However, there are different strokes for different folks; some petrol heads still stick to the good old manual transmission. They just want to be in control. I’m one of them.

You may have been unintentionally messing up your transmission with the way you handle it. Be it as it may, I’m here to help you in my own little way.

Relax, read, assimilate and put it to practice.

Here are 5 things you shouldn’t do if you drive manual transmission.

#1. Do not leave your car in gear when you have no intention to move.

You might be wondering why on earth you shouldn’t do this. It is very simple.

It is bad to do so because when you leave it engaged in a gear, your clutch will suffer from unnecessary wear and tear.

When the clutch is depressed, three main parts of the clutch press against the other – the spring, the bearing, and the diaphragm. This will gradually wear out.

So, next time you’re warming your car, at the stop light, have no intention of moving ASAP when the engine is cranked, just move the gear lever to the Neutral position in order not to overwork or stress your clutch.

#2. Do not rest you hand don the gear lever.

All those times you have been forming gangster, cruising your car with one arm on the steering and the other comfortably resting on the lever, you have been getting it all wrong.

This one is particularly a bit surprising, but it is true. It is bad.

The weight of your arm can actually cause the parts responsible for gear shifting to rub against each other. This wears out your selector fork (transaxle shift forks). This on the long run might make your car start jumping out of gear.

Do your gear shift and take back your hand back to the steering wheel. It is also a good driving habit to leave both hands on the wheel for proper control.

#3. Do not floor you throttle/gas pedal when your engine is at low RPM.

Behind the scene, a lot is happening in a manual transmission. Flooring your throttle at a low RPM is unhealthy to the engine. By so doing, you tell the engine to accelerate as hard as it can. This brings much stress to the engine; it makes the engine work really hard.

Instead of flooring the throttle at a very low RPM, just downshift – move to a lower gear.

#4. Do not use the clutch to hold your car on a hill.

I have heard many people call this ‘clutch engagement’. I don’t know how it came to be anyway.

This is the habit of using the clutch and throttle simultaneously so it could act as brake to avoid rolling back when in a hilly terrain.

When you do this, you are actually burning out the friction material on your clutch disk. Avoid this.

Use the conventional break and the handbrake (E-brake) in worst case scenarios.

#5. Do not rest your foot on the clutch.

This makes your clutch not to be fully engaged. It causes wearing out of the clutch. It might also cause you car not to putting down full engine power.

Good luck and shift safely!

41 Likes 8 Shares

Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Car. by sheantip(m): 5:37pm On Oct 25, 2016
guilty of 4 and 5
Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Car. by Whizpeter(m): 6:14pm On Oct 25, 2016
Number One is the reason why driving manual in traffic is stressful!!!

4 Likes

Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Car. by AnusOdourInhaler: 7:07pm On Oct 25, 2016
Buy Auto and be free

16 Likes

Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Car. by aieromon(m): 7:40pm On Oct 25, 2016
I can't even remember the last time I drove a car with manual transmission.
Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Car. by adepiero: 6:15am On Oct 27, 2016
Driving a manual car requires a manual undecided

21 Likes

Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Car. by dguizman(m): 6:16am On Oct 27, 2016
Who manual epp...auto all the way.

3 Likes

Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Car. by dangerzone: 6:17am On Oct 27, 2016
99% nigerians drive automatic anyway,@op this post might be useful in sweden

10 Likes

Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Car. by kinnlive(m): 6:18am On Oct 27, 2016
that's why I prefer automatic stress free
Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Car. by Nobody: 6:23am On Oct 27, 2016
Manual ko, stick ni. Manual cars are too stressful to drive.
Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Car. by Nobody: 6:24am On Oct 27, 2016
I still drive manual n am enjoying it, tho am gultt of 4 n 5.
Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Car. by MotoringNigeria: 6:27am On Oct 27, 2016
The clutch engagement shouldn't be used on a hill, no one should even think of it.

3 Likes

Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Car. by joedams: 6:27am On Oct 27, 2016
Some people will tell you the reason t prefer manual is because you can push it to start when it breaks down. I always ask, so you still dey reason to push car for this century?

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Car. by bennymark(m): 6:27am On Oct 27, 2016
Manual cars are the sweetest and smartest to drive.

Automatic is for lazy drivers wey no sabi need for speed

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Car. by joedams: 6:28am On Oct 27, 2016
Some people will tell you the reason they prefer manual is because you can push it to start when it breaks down. I always ask, so you still dey reason to push car for this century? Guy, suffering is in ur DNA.

1 Like

Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Car. by bennymark(m): 6:29am On Oct 27, 2016

Automatic is for lazy drivers wey no sabi need for speed.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Car. by vanndubi: 6:31am On Oct 27, 2016
Avoid coasting! That's when the clutch is fully depressed (pushed down to the floor) while the car is moving.

http://blackamberdrivingschool..com.ng/2011/03/coasting-in-vehicle.html?m=1
Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Car. by KingRex1(m): 6:31am On Oct 27, 2016
The best transmission type is the dual clutch . A blend of auto n manual which maximally conserves fuel n increases acceleration speed.

1 Like

Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Car. by geraldmartins(m): 6:32am On Oct 27, 2016
manual is fun ...

1 Like

Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Car. by seunlly(m): 6:32am On Oct 27, 2016
sad
Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Car. by KingRex1(m): 6:34am On Oct 27, 2016
vanndubi:
Avoid coasting! That's when the clutch is fully depressed (pushed down to the floor) while the car is moving.

http://blackamberdrivingschool..com.ng/2011/03/coasting-in-vehicle.html?m=1
Why? this ensures a cool ride down a slope, disengages the engine n doesnt burn the clutch.
No harm
Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Car. by hotobo(m): 6:39am On Oct 27, 2016
The number 4 is unavoidable if you must drive professionally in a hilly situation. Using Your 4. Advice as a Convoy Driver isn't professional... There are some driving rules that doesn't apply to some situation. By the way clutch has to burn with time no matter what technique used in driving. Depending on professionalism.

Since i became a Convoy Driver and 5years earlier i haven't burn any clutch using the 4. Methods.

It just depend on who is driving and the manner

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Car. by Histrings08(m): 6:42am On Oct 27, 2016
Thanks
Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Car. by Okaakoko(m): 6:43am On Oct 27, 2016
I dey do 1, 2 and 4
Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Car. by rattlesnake(m): 6:44am On Oct 27, 2016
6.Do not drive a manual car

4 Likes

Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Car. by tripoli007(m): 6:46am On Oct 27, 2016
bennymark:

Automatic is for lazy drivers wey no sabi need for speed.

Ooshe who speed EPP Paul walker ...Lagos traffic never jam u abii

3 Likes

Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Car. by nijanigga: 6:48am On Oct 27, 2016
How I wish they will do away with all automatic cars;manual transmission will actually save lives because you cannot be driving and texting,

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Car. by kherlly(m): 6:51am On Oct 27, 2016
Thanks for the tips op
As for me whether auto or manual any car is good anyday anytime in as much it perform tis function

1 Like

Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Car. by gustav25: 6:54am On Oct 27, 2016
Am just here waiting for those that have no cars like me coming to type bullocks

3 Likes

Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Car. by ameer2: 6:55am On Oct 27, 2016
Go gt yosef an auto car n save yosef frm stress.
Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Car. by laprince(m): 6:56am On Oct 27, 2016
Manual and principles.

I really appreciate the mods for bringing car threads here. Its a very potent educative measure.

1 Like

Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Car. by masterP042(m): 7:03am On Oct 27, 2016
Good info

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Gazzuzz: Dubious, Insultive And An Arrogant Being / 2014 Range Rover Sport Unveiled With Lighter Look / FRSC - Items You Must Have In Your Vehicle Always

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.