Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,531 members, 7,819,911 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:24 AM

5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Car. - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Car. (23875 Views)

Man Filmed Driving A Self-made Car On The Streets Of Lagos (photos) / 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Transmission Car / 10 Reasons Why You Should Learn To Drive The Manual Car. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Car. by UncutSk(m): 7:10am On Oct 27, 2016
who manual epp
Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Car. by Fabolousibk1(m): 7:15am On Oct 27, 2016
I prefer my keke napep jare(maruwa)..bt d problem is shock absorber,..Na so i carry one fat woman yestaday,dis woman just shift for anoda passenger to enter,my keke just tumble...My broda am cryin..
Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Car. by Symdy(m): 7:27am On Oct 27, 2016
Thanks for the info. Very educative and entertaining

1 Like

Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Car. by Zhyoncross(m): 7:27am On Oct 27, 2016
Good one

1 Like

Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Car. by Jethrolite(m): 7:27am On Oct 27, 2016
Whizpeter:
Number One is the reason why driving manual in traffic is stressful!!!
In traffic you clutch down fully and use your brake, no need to be changing gear endlessly.
Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Car. by Katyusha(m): 7:29am On Oct 27, 2016
AnusOdourInhaler:
Buy Auto and be free
Bros, this your moniker name nawa o.
Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Car. by bogolobango(m): 7:30am On Oct 27, 2016
@ op no 5 you're completely wrong I learnt how to drive With a manual car by the time you want to make use hand brake you're definitely gonna hit somebody at the back

1 Like

Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Car. by AnusOdourInhaler: 7:49am On Oct 27, 2016
Katyusha:
Bros, this your moniker name nawa o.
Bro MI! Na so I see am wo
Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Car. by upuphim(m): 8:01am On Oct 27, 2016
@Op. I find your post useful. Don't hesitate to share anything. No knowledge is a loss. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Car. by SuperSuave(m): 8:52am On Oct 27, 2016
MotoringNigeria:
The clutch engagement shouldn't be used on a hill, no one should even think of it.
I had a hard time learning how to do it while learning how to drive, I now do it perfectly even in hold-up on a slightly hilly terrain
Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Car. by macsilver(m): 8:59am On Oct 27, 2016
I'm guilty of almost all, but op, please which one is gear engagement on a hill. Please use normal English so we go understand am so. Thank you
Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Car. by soonest(f): 9:01am On Oct 27, 2016
I thank God that the days of manual in my life are over. I was guilty of number 4. Manual na really work
Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Car. by macsilver(m): 9:02am On Oct 27, 2016
SuperSuave:
I had a hard time learning how to do it while learning how to drive, I now do it perfectly even in hold-up on a slightly hilly terrain
Is it when climbing up or coming down the hill?
Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Car. by SuperSuave(m): 9:05am On Oct 27, 2016
macsilver:

Is it when climbing up or coming down the hill?
going up ofcos, you'll have your leg on the break when going down to avoid stories that touch
Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Car. by Psyrus(m): 9:11am On Oct 27, 2016
Now let's burn some rubber,
Don't forget to press hard in the clutch till it hits the floor before changing gear.

1 Like

Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Car. by Ricmayak1: 9:12am On Oct 27, 2016
vanndubi:
Avoid coasting! That's when the clutch is fully depressed (pushed down to the floor) while the car is moving.

http://blackamberdrivingschool..com.ng/2011/03/coasting-in-vehicle.html?m=1

Clutch is not used during coasting
Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Car. by FashionandStyle: 9:41am On Oct 27, 2016
You can't do without number 4 on Nigerian roads; your car will always be rolling back on hills without applying clutch management technique.
Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Car. by Whizpeter(m): 9:46am On Oct 27, 2016
Jethrolite:
In traffic you clutch down fully and use your brake, no need to be changing gear endlessly.

The clutch suffers for it... Moreover if its an auto, I only need to use the brake unless the traffic clears a bit, then I would use the accelerator!
Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Car. by Originalsly: 9:58am On Oct 27, 2016
#1.... not a car pro... but learned along the way.... never park your car without putting on handbrake..... if bumped hard... your transmission can be damaged. I guess it's the same for manual if parked in gear.
Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Car. by ndcide(m): 10:17am On Oct 27, 2016
MotoringNigeria:
The clutch engagement shouldn't be used on a hill, no one should even think of it.

Some times your car keep rolling back. So you just have to do it.
Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Car. by ndcide(m): 10:18am On Oct 27, 2016
Originalsly:
#1.... not a car pro... but learned along the way.... never park your car without putting on handbrake..... if bumped hard... your transmission can be damaged. I guess it's the same for manual if parked in gear.

Not every car has its hand break working fine.
Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Car. by MotoringNigeria: 10:21am On Oct 27, 2016
ndcide:

Some times your car keep rolling back. So you just have to do it.

for a pro, maybe
but for a beginner, I wouldn't recommend
Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Car. by ndcide(m): 10:23am On Oct 27, 2016
joedams:
Some people will tell you the reason they prefer manual is because you can push it to start when it breaks down. I always ask, so you still dey reason to push car for this century? Guy, suffering is in ur DNA.

Till today people still push their cars. Even those who talk like you suddenly got stranded and wished they could push the car and get going.

You people should get off this high horse.

1 Like

Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Car. by MotoringNigeria: 10:23am On Oct 27, 2016
SuperSuave:

Good for u wink
Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Car. by streetzdreamz(m): 10:31am On Oct 27, 2016
I don't understand your first point, how do one stop the vehicle from rolling over without engaging the gear?? hand breaks are Bullshits! and I rest my hand on the gear stick as much as I want,how heavy is ones hand to cause a glitch to the ball bearings?, I put my foot on the clutch as long as I want, and for years now have not had any issue resulting from t,dunno where your points are coming from though.

1 Like

Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Car. by streetzdreamz(m): 10:41am On Oct 27, 2016
joedams:
Some people will tell you the reason they prefer manual is because you can push it to start when it breaks down. I always ask, so you still dey reason to push car for this century? Guy, suffering is in ur DNA.
you are probably new to the auto world to make this statement,pray that auto u cherish so much don't have a start up problem, or a failing alternator.

1 Like

Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Car. by wisestman(m): 10:50am On Oct 27, 2016
bennymark:
Manual cars are the sweetest and smartest to drive.

Automatic is for lazy drivers wey no sabi need for speed

if u live in lagos, i guess u wont be saying this...
Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Car. by vanndubi: 11:16am On Oct 27, 2016
KingRex1:

Why? this ensures a cool ride down a slope, disengages the engine n doesnt burn the clutch.
No harm

I don't mean cruising. Coasting involves applying and holding down the clutch while the vehicle is in motion.

An example is after clutching down to change to a higher gear and clutch is still applied, no matter how small.

Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Car. by vanndubi: 11:20am On Oct 27, 2016
Ricmayak1:

Clutch is not used during coasting

If clutch is not involved, what then is involved?

Note there is difference between cruising and coasting.

You can google the term coasting.

Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Car. by Umejiaku87(m): 11:32am On Oct 27, 2016
Recommended alternative for point number 4 is to find your bitting point. If you can find your bitting point, then you've not really perfected manual.
Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Car. by SunnDash(m): 12:42pm On Oct 27, 2016
driving manual car gives one the experience and technical knw how of a car/vehicle.i ve be a situation where a 4matic benz 350 is to be taken to smwhere I was surprised dat d guys around me could not drive it until I raised up my hand dat I can.auto drivin is good buh it increases a lot of accident on our road.if road safety stop most of d cars drivers on way n conduct drivin txt 4 dem u'll see dat 60% of d people driving her unqualify n fit...cos in abroad dat's dey ll do to certify u b4 issuance of drivers license. I stop here
Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Car. by Pamelayoung: 2:20pm On Oct 27, 2016
No wonder my clutch plate just dey spoil anyhow. Tnx op 4d info

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

2014 Range Rover Sport Unveiled With Lighter Look / FRSC - Items You Must Have In Your Vehicle Always / 7 Ways To Make Money With Your Car

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.