Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,652 members, 7,816,677 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:58 PM

It Was Great Honour Handing Staff Of Office To Oba — Oshiomhole - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / It Was Great Honour Handing Staff Of Office To Oba — Oshiomhole (10346 Views)

IPOB Members Storm UN Office To Protest Against Buhari. Photos/video / Jonathan In Gbamaturu For Presentation Of Staff Of Office To HRM Oboro-Gbaraun / 5 Things Oshiomhole Did Before Handing Over To Obaseki (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

It Was Great Honour Handing Staff Of Office To Oba — Oshiomhole by jchima14: 8:43pm On Oct 25, 2016

The Governor of Edo State, Adams Oshiomhole has said that it was a big privilege for him to present the staff of office to an Oba of Benin.

The governor made the statement when he addressed State House correspondents shortly after he paid a thank you visit to Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.
Recall that the historic coronation of Omo N’Oba N’Edo Uku Akpolokpolo Ewuare II took place in Benin on Thursday with Nigerians and people of other cultures in attendance.

“On my part, I felt very privileged.
“In my eight years of stewardship in Edo State that assignment of having to hand over the staff of office to the Oba of Benin is the most singular important event that God has given me the privilege to preside,’’ Oshiomhole said.

He said that the first time in the 1930s when Oba Akenzua ascended the throne that same staff of office was presented by the Queen of England when the country was under British colonial rule.
He added that in a recent time, the other time the staff was handed to an Oba was in the 1980s through a military governor who was not an Edo indigene.

“This is the first time an Edo man, full-blood son of the soil, decked in Edo costume, presented the most important staff of office to the man we all celebrate as the Oba of Benin,’’ he said.

Oshiomhole said that the attendance to the event by the Sultan of Sokoto,Alhaji Sa’ad Abubakar III and a host of other traditional rulers from across the country, was “extremely significant’’.
He said the Sultan was not only of Sokoto but the head of the Islamic Council in the country and was at the ceremony as the utmost religious leader in Nigeria.

“To have the Caliphate across the Niger, extending that hand of fellowship and brotherhood and bringing the Durbar from the Caliphate to Benin to celebrate the coronation of the Oba was historic.

“Those royal handshakes and bonds not only speak to history that had existed before the political amalgamation of Northern and Southern Nigeria.

“It shows that our people, regardless of those interventions by the British authority, that the bonds have always been there and that even today those responsible for our tradition are doing their part to sustain those bonds.’’

He said this was so important at this time that the political class was preaching to primordial sentiments in a manner that threatened the country’s unity when they were frustrated.

“I think that royal handshake and bonding shows that at that level of leadership, Nigeria is one and we are committed to one and indivisible Nigeria and those royal fathers have led us by example,’’ he added.

The governor observed that one of the weaknesses of our country “`is that we don’t celebrate our tradition.
“What was unique was that the Oba observed all the cultural rites in the installation, including the most tedious of trekking certain distance to his palace.’’

He said that the exercise was to enable the monarch to place himself in the position of the common man in order to administer the domain well.

“Seeking for those traditions was extremely important because if you do not understand the pains the people under you go through you can’t have empathy and cannot do justice to them.’’
The governor commended the Bini people for behaving in a mature and orderly manner during the coronation of the Oba in spite of the large crowd.

He said the disposition of the Bini and the attendance of many from across the divide elevated Edo to an uncommon height adding that it could not have been better than that.

Source: http://nigeriabreakingnews.com.ng/it-was-great-honour-handing-staff-of-office-to-oba-oshiomhole/

2 Likes

Re: It Was Great Honour Handing Staff Of Office To Oba — Oshiomhole by CecyAdrian(f): 8:48pm On Oct 25, 2016
It is truly a great honor. It might seem like a small non important act but it signifies a lot.

4 Likes

Re: It Was Great Honour Handing Staff Of Office To Oba — Oshiomhole by thesicilian: 9:25pm On Oct 25, 2016
Oshiomhole said that the attendance to the event by the Sultan of Sokoto,Alhaji Sa’ad Abubakar III and a host of other traditional rulers from across the country, was “extremely significant’’.
He said the Sultan was not only of Sokoto but the
head of the Islamic Council in the country and was
at the ceremony as the utmost religious leader in
Nigeria.
“To have the Caliphate across the Niger, extending
that hand of fellowship and brotherhood and
bringing the Durbar from the Caliphate to Benin to
celebrate the coronation of the Oba was historic.
That Sultan of Sokoto is one of my most respected traditional rulers in this country, in short, the most respected after the Oba of Benin. Always easy going, hardly tribalistic and peace loving. I wish all Nigerian leaders were like him.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: It Was Great Honour Handing Staff Of Office To Oba — Oshiomhole by Nobody: 10:14pm On Oct 25, 2016
grin
Re: It Was Great Honour Handing Staff Of Office To Oba — Oshiomhole by Nobody: 10:14pm On Oct 25, 2016
Re: It Was Great Honour Handing Staff Of Office To Oba — Oshiomhole by babdap: 11:15pm On Oct 25, 2016
Pastor Ize Iyamu is still crying over his election loss.

2 Likes

Re: It Was Great Honour Handing Staff Of Office To Oba — Oshiomhole by Unblockable: 12:28am On Oct 26, 2016
babdap:
Pastor Is Iyamu is still crying over his election loss.

Let him cry till eternity, he wouldn't set his foot in the Government House as our Governor. We've since rejected him and his looting gangs!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: It Was Great Honour Handing Staff Of Office To Oba — Oshiomhole by capatainrambo: 6:44am On Oct 26, 2016
thesicilian:

That Sultan of Sokoto is one of my most respected traditional rulers in this country, in short, the most respected after the Oba of Benin. Always easy going, hardly tribalistic and peace loving. I wish all Nigerian leaders were like him.
sultan after who?

oba don brush teeth?

2 Likes

Re: It Was Great Honour Handing Staff Of Office To Oba — Oshiomhole by saint047(m): 7:05am On Oct 26, 2016
My outgoing governor, please go and sit down and stop looking for relevance

1 Like

Re: It Was Great Honour Handing Staff Of Office To Oba — Oshiomhole by Benjom(m): 8:43am On Oct 26, 2016
Hmn... Your excellency, it's time to take a loonng vacation with your beautiful wife.
Re: It Was Great Honour Handing Staff Of Office To Oba — Oshiomhole by martineinstein(m): 8:43am On Oct 26, 2016
impotent govnor shud just shut up...he s trying by all means to get favour from oba
Re: It Was Great Honour Handing Staff Of Office To Oba — Oshiomhole by Neimar: 8:44am On Oct 26, 2016
black mamba grin
Re: It Was Great Honour Handing Staff Of Office To Oba — Oshiomhole by MicroBox: 8:45am On Oct 26, 2016
No be Oba teeth we dey see so....
Someone said on this forum that we can not see Oba's teeth or smiles due to tradition..
Nairaland with sabi-sabi....

4 Likes

Re: It Was Great Honour Handing Staff Of Office To Oba — Oshiomhole by SurePresident: 8:48am On Oct 26, 2016
At the end, we are all humans.

1 Like

Re: It Was Great Honour Handing Staff Of Office To Oba — Oshiomhole by iamswizz(m): 8:50am On Oct 26, 2016
The senate should just scrap all these traditional kings :/
Re: It Was Great Honour Handing Staff Of Office To Oba — Oshiomhole by Abugab(m): 8:51am On Oct 26, 2016
That was epic and I concur with him.
First time a civilian and an indegene is doing it.
It will go down in history even when he is not remembered as a governor.
He is really privileged

1 Like

Re: It Was Great Honour Handing Staff Of Office To Oba — Oshiomhole by ezechueze(m): 8:52am On Oct 26, 2016
The Oba is glued to his seat...
See what Top Bond can do
Re: It Was Great Honour Handing Staff Of Office To Oba — Oshiomhole by xreal: 8:57am On Oct 26, 2016
iamswizz:
What is this one saying?

Congratulations to Oshiomhole for such an historical mark.

4 Likes

Re: It Was Great Honour Handing Staff Of Office To Oba — Oshiomhole by ajoskele(m): 8:58am On Oct 26, 2016
saint047:
My outgoing governor, please go and sit down and stop looking for relevance
What relevance again?

He was your governor for uninterrupted eight years!

1 Like

Re: It Was Great Honour Handing Staff Of Office To Oba — Oshiomhole by RentALodge: 9:04am On Oct 26, 2016
I urge the Oba not to be partisan but rule wisely by being a father to all and embrace everybody. This will ensure peace and give a sense of belonging to everyone. After all, politicians come and go, but the monarchy is a constant institution in every society. It is good that Ewuare II has said he would pay attention to all matters of customs and traditions, security and development of the people.

**If you are a student and you would like to work for RentALodge as a RentALodge contact in your school, see the signature for address. We are recruiting for all schools in Nigeria.**

1 Like

Re: It Was Great Honour Handing Staff Of Office To Oba — Oshiomhole by Nobody: 9:05am On Oct 26, 2016
And so?
Re: It Was Great Honour Handing Staff Of Office To Oba — Oshiomhole by themosthigh: 9:08am On Oct 26, 2016
It is a pity the sword of Othman Dan fodio did not touch and conquer the Benin kingdom but I am very sure that it would soon be a fief of sokoto because only through this meanss will the barbaric customs of the southerners be subjugated and peace spread across the federation.

Re: It Was Great Honour Handing Staff Of Office To Oba — Oshiomhole by kidman96(m): 9:13am On Oct 26, 2016
jchima14:

The Governor of Edo State, Adams Oshiomhole has said that it was a big privilege for him to present the staff of office to an Oba of Benin.
The governor made the statement when he addressed State House correspondents shortly after he paid a thank you visit to Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.
Recall that the historic coronation of Omo N’Oba N’Edo Uku Akpolokpolo Ewuare II took place in Benin on Thursday with Nigerians and people of other cultures in attendance.
“On my part, I felt very privileged.
“In my eight years of stewardship in Edo State that assignment of having to hand over the staff of office to the Oba of Benin is the most singular important event that God has given me the privilege to preside,’’ Oshiomhole said.
He said that the first time in the 1930s when Oba Akenzua ascended the throne that same staff of office was presented by the Queen of England when the country was under British colonial rule.
He added that in a recent time, the other time the staff was handed to an Oba was in the 1980s through a military governor who was not an Edo indigene.
“This is the first time an Edo man, full-blood son of the soil, decked in Edo costume, presented the most important staff of office to the man we all celebrate as the Oba of Benin,’’ he said.
He said the Sultan was not only of Sokoto but the head of the Islamic Council in the country and was at the ceremony as the utmost religious leader in Nigeria.
“To have the Caliphate across the Niger, extending that hand of fellowship and brotherhood and bringing the Durbar from the Caliphate to Benin to celebrate the coronation of the Oba was historic.
“Those royal handshakes and bonds not only speak to history that had existed before the political amalgamation of Northern and Southern Nigeria.
“It shows that our people, regardless of those interventions by the British authority, that the bonds have always been there and that even today those responsible for our tradition are doing their part to sustain those bonds.’’
He said this was so important at this time that the political class was preaching to primordial sentiments in a manner that threatened the country’s unity when they were frustrated.
“I think that royal handshake and bonding shows that at that level of leadership, Nigeria is one and we are committed to one and indivisible Nigeria and those royal fathers have led us by example,’’ he added.
The governor observed that one of the weaknesses of our country “`is that we don’t celebrate our tradition.
“What was unique was that the Oba observed all the cultural rites in the installation, including the most tedious of trekking certain distance to his palace.’’
He said that the exercise was to enable the monarch to place himself in the position of the common man in order to administer the domain well.
“Seeking for those traditions was extremely important because if you do not understand the pains the people under you go through you can’t have empathy and cannot do justice to them.’’
The governor commended the Bini people for behaving in a mature and orderly manner during the coronation of the Oba in spite of the large crowd.
He said the disposition of the Bini and the attendance of many from across the divide elevated Edo to an uncommon height adding that it could not have been better than that.
Source: http://nigeriabreakingnews.com.ng/it-was-great-honour-handing-staff-of-office-to-oba-oshiomhole/
CecyAdrian:
It is truly a great honor. It might seem like a small non important act but it signifies a lot.
thesicilian:

Unblockable:

Let him cry till eternity, he wouldn't set his foot in the Government House as our Governor. We've since rejected him and his looting gangs!
right0100:
Captain oshiomole the man
Abugab:
That was epic and I concur with him.
First time a civilian and an indegene is doing it.
It will go down in history even when he is not remembered as a governor.
He is really privileged

I Concur.
Re: It Was Great Honour Handing Staff Of Office To Oba — Oshiomhole by emeijeh(m): 9:21am On Oct 26, 2016
Ok we hear.

1 Like

Re: It Was Great Honour Handing Staff Of Office To Oba — Oshiomhole by kidman96(m): 9:24am On Oct 26, 2016
SurePresident:
At the end, we are all humans.

The Oba of Benin is a god to us binis.

1 Like

Re: It Was Great Honour Handing Staff Of Office To Oba — Oshiomhole by saint047(m): 9:29am On Oct 26, 2016
ajoskele:
What relevance again?

He was your governor for uninterrupted eight years!
that's the more reason why he should go and sit down and allow Godwin abaseki to start doing the talking
Re: It Was Great Honour Handing Staff Of Office To Oba — Oshiomhole by ajoskele(m): 9:33am On Oct 26, 2016
saint047:
that's the more reason why he should go and sit down and allow Godwin abaseki to start doing the talking
The last time I checked, Oshiomole is still the governor.

1 Like

Re: It Was Great Honour Handing Staff Of Office To Oba — Oshiomhole by Lescalier: 9:45am On Oct 26, 2016
You are an Edo man, but not a Bini Man.
Re: It Was Great Honour Handing Staff Of Office To Oba — Oshiomhole by kidman96(m): 9:57am On Oct 26, 2016
iamswizz:

The last Military Governor of Edo State placed the former Oba of Benin on house Arrest for some weeks. He lost his mother, his wife and two children in one week.he died some years later in mysterious circumstances.

1 Like

Re: It Was Great Honour Handing Staff Of Office To Oba — Oshiomhole by kedeojo(m): 9:57am On Oct 26, 2016
ajoskele:
The last time I checked, Oshiomole is still the governor.
don't mind those children of hate, its relevance will receive another high after his tenure cos he will be the new minister of petroleum which Baba itself his holding now and because that is the organ of the economy he put be put to a no nonsense person who will preside that important ministry for uplift of the citizen by not the careless looting of one of our sister who was in the saddle recently.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Hope Uzodinma: My Successor Should Probe Me If I Steal Imo Money / Stop Deceiving Bayelsans With Non-functional Airport – Sylva Warns Dickson / Northern Governors Accused Of Turning Kidnapping To Money-Spinner

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.