Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,265 members, 7,818,902 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:41 AM

Shame On Our Country: 10 Yr Old Chose Death Than Go Back To Nigeria. - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Shame On Our Country: 10 Yr Old Chose Death Than Go Back To Nigeria. (2481 Views)

Nnamdi Kanu Deny Report By Nigeria Media Saying I Prefer Death Than To Apolozis / How President Buhari Chose The Ministerial Nominees – Garba Shehu / Revealed: How Buhari Chose His Nominees - The Nation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Shame On Our Country: 10 Yr Old Chose Death Than Go Back To Nigeria. by Nobody: 4:53pm On Oct 26, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

We Nigerians have a way of looking for any reason to remain in denial. Bottom line is that this girl and her family loathes Nigeria and I am 99% sure its because of living standards and not any cult or FGM. I wouldn't be surprised like OYB said if she staged the suicide attempt.

Kobojunkie:

If it is the case that two of her own brothers were killed by people IN NIGERIA, and you accept that she probably fears the same monsters might come after her as well. Does it then not make sense to ASSUME that she the gal tried to commit suicide out of fear that if deported back to Nigeria, the monsters will get her? Isn’t this saying the same thing the title does in this case?

I hope your question is answered now?

@ aloy emeka

to the best of my knowledge, in Yoruba culture you dont joke or tell lies about something as serious as your family members being dead. Unless the person is suffering from mental illness or another thing.

yes, people can lie about going home to bury a grandparent but not a younger generation.
Re: Shame On Our Country: 10 Yr Old Chose Death Than Go Back To Nigeria. by Nobody: 4:53pm On Oct 26, 2009
she is alleging that 'cult members' are specifically out for them . 'cult member' typically depicts members of a campus cult - how does a 35 year old woman have children in a tertiary institution ?

how old was she when her brothers were killed?
what are their names?
what of the father - or was he also killed by these cult members ?

why are we not hearing anything from the FGM practitioner family members in nigeria?

BS

the mother is just doing the same thing i see so many beggars doing on the streets of lagos - using an impressionable child to pursue her agenda
Re: Shame On Our Country: 10 Yr Old Chose Death Than Go Back To Nigeria. by Nobody: 4:55pm On Oct 26, 2009
oyb:

she is alleging that 'cult members' are specifically out for them . 'cult member' typically depicts members of a campus cult - how does a 35 year old woman have children in a tertiary institution ?

how old was she when her brothers were killed?
what are their names?
what of the father - or was he also killed by these cult members ?

why are we not hearing anything from the FGM practitioner family members in nigeria?

BS

the mother is just doing the same thing i see so many beggars doing on the streets of lagos - using an impressionable child to pursue her agenda

"Cult" may be the closest approximation to what she's trying to describe. It doesnt mean she's referring to the university cults.
Re: Shame On Our Country: 10 Yr Old Chose Death Than Go Back To Nigeria. by ProAnti: 4:57pm On Oct 26, 2009
The girl's name is Adeoti Ogunsola.
The mother's name is Clementina Ogunsola. Clementina's two brothers were killed.

A 35 year old woman can give birth to a 10 year old. Nairalanders should stop this kind of useless arguments.

The mother does not want to come back to Nigeria, so it is natural for the girl to say the same thing.
The mother has a reason- the death of her brothers. The girl's reason is simply her mothers reasons and not the epileptic power situation or our bad government.

What am I saying?
Re: Shame On Our Country: 10 Yr Old Chose Death Than Go Back To Nigeria. by Nobody: 4:58pm On Oct 26, 2009
Pro Anti:

The girl's name is Adeoti Ogunsola.
The mother's name is Clementina Ogunsola. Clementina's two brothers were killed.

A 35 year old woman can give birth to a 10 year old. Nairalanders should stop this kind of useless arguments.

The mother does not want to come back to Nigeria, so it is natural for the girl to say the same thing.
The mother has a reason- the death of her brothers. The girl's reason is simply her mothers reasons and not the epileptic power situation or our bad government.

What am I saying?

makes sense
Re: Shame On Our Country: 10 Yr Old Chose Death Than Go Back To Nigeria. by Nobody: 4:59pm On Oct 26, 2009
could be "ogun idile"
Re: Shame On Our Country: 10 Yr Old Chose Death Than Go Back To Nigeria. by Nobody: 5:04pm On Oct 26, 2009
what are the brothers names?

who is Mrs Ogunsola's husband? abi she is a proficient baby mama ?

how come adeoti does not seem to miss her father or be calling for him to join them?

do you really think that, if these brothers actually existed, mrs ogunsola would not be flashing their pictures at every instant including the gravestones - crying thats hse did not want her daughter to suffer the same fate?

why are the nuclear and extended family silent ?

BS

offtopic -  remember elian gonzalez?
Re: Shame On Our Country: 10 Yr Old Chose Death Than Go Back To Nigeria. by asha80(m): 5:08pm On Oct 26, 2009
oyb:

how come adeoti does not seem to miss her father or be calling for him to join them?

do you really think that, if these brothers actually existed, mrs ogunsola would not be flashing their pictures at every instant including the gravestones - crying thats hse did not want her daughter to suffer the same fate?

BS

offtopic - remember[b] elian gonzalez[/b]?

What later happened to him?Did he remain in US or moved back to cuba?
Re: Shame On Our Country: 10 Yr Old Chose Death Than Go Back To Nigeria. by Nobody: 5:09pm On Oct 26, 2009
ouch i see that they are her - brother not sons

but here is another link

http://www.kentnews.co.uk/newsStory.aspx?id=29206

A 10-year-old girl who lives in fear of being deported to Nigeria where several close relatives have been killed tried to hang herself with an electrical flex.

Adeoti Ogunsola told her mother: “I want to die here, not in Nigeria.”

During a last-ditch effort to stop her deportation on Thursday night, her lawyers won a stay of execution at the High Court.

Lawyer Harriet Wistrich said the judge Mr Justice Sales stopped the removal, but said the Border Agency was determined to go ahead in spite of evidence of risk of serious harm to the child.

Now the case has been put off for a full review this Wednesday.

Her mother Clementina Ogunsola said she has her fingers crossed for a happy outcome, saying: “It is a small step, not we have to wait even more.”

Adeoti, who attends St Mary's Catholic primary school in Gillingham, was being detained at the Tinsley House immigration removal centre near Gatwick airport with her mother.

It’s the second time the youngster has been held under lock and key.

While her mother was already in detention yet again, officials forcibly removed the young girl from relatives in Hempstead, near Gillingham, almost two weeks ago.

Just days later, she got up at night, went to the kitchen at Tinsley House, and tried to commit suicide.

In an exclusive interview with KoS, her mother said: “My baby tried to kill herself.”

Fighting her emotions, she said: “She got up in the middle of the night and went to the kitchen alone.

“There she got a cable either from a kettle or radio, and tied it around her neck. She was going to hang herself, but thankfully was seen before she got too far.

“This is the only real home she has ever known, but even this has been more stressful than any little girl should have had to endure.

“I am also worried she will be subjected to the horror that is female circumcision which I don’t want. It happened to me and I don’t want it for Adeoti.”

Mrs Ogunsola moved into a[b] flat in Jeffrey Street, Gillingham, in February, 2004[/b], and it was raided within hours by police searching for the previous tenant.

She said:“Every time they came to the flat it upset Adeoti over and over. She was becoming more and more withdrawn.

“She was doing well at school, but then the immigration authorities started coming round too, and said we had to leave the country.

“I fell pregnant that year too, but the child was still-born because of all the stress I was under. I was pregnant for over 10 months.

Mrs Ogunsola said she fled to the UK with her daughter because they were under threat at home.

Just this year, she discovered her two brothers and father were murdered in 2004 and 2007, and her mother has fled the family home in fear for her life.

The 35-year-old said: “My husband was violent – he attacked and violated me. I had to escape with my daughter. It was a living hell for me. I do have relatives in the UK but I have no contact for them.”

She added: “Adeoti has seen a psychotherapist who said he is worried she will continue trying to kill herself until this stress is removed from her life.

“I have gone through all the right channels, but have been told I we are not entitled to asylum and will be sent back.”

The head of St Mary's primary school, Bernadette Long told reporters: “Adeoti was clearly traumatised. She was inconsolable about the thought of deportation in September, 2008, when she first heard of it.

“Since then Adeoti has had unsettled periods due to the worry and uncertainty. This has gone on for a whole year now and is an unnecessary act of mental cruelty which is affecting her emotional and mental wellbeing."

Plane tickets were booked for the pair to be flown back to Nigeria late Thursday night.

But her legal team at Birnberg Pierce in London, won over the judge who said they can remain in the UK under lock and key at Tinsley House.

Campaigners want the detention of some 2,000 children a year be stopped.

The Home Office will now consider its position before next Wednesday to decide if it wants to continue its efforts to deport the couple.

David Wood, strategic director of criminality and detention group of the UK Border Agency, said: "When the independent courts find a family has no need for protection we expect them to return home.

“If they refuse to leave voluntarily we have no choice but to enforce their removal, and this can include detaining children, but only as a very last resort.”

you see the multiple stories - now we can't even say if na sons, brothers

husband has become wife beater and she was running from him -

BS

weird timelines as well

does this mean the brothers were killed in the first two months of 2004?

was she running from her husband or cult killers?

i must to stay in UK . end of story
Re: Shame On Our Country: 10 Yr Old Chose Death Than Go Back To Nigeria. by Nobody: 5:12pm On Oct 26, 2009
if she's sent back home, she should just stay somewhere far from people who know her.

End of story.
Re: Shame On Our Country: 10 Yr Old Chose Death Than Go Back To Nigeria. by AloyEmeka6: 5:12pm On Oct 26, 2009
oyb:

BS

Truth is there were no sons and no deaths. What kind of cult that did this because I am guessing her two sons will scarcely be teenagers when they were murdered?.  All these stories were made up in order to stay back in England. If our shit is tight at home, our citizens in the diaspora wouldn't be this scared to get home. No matter how we try to argue it, Nigeria is a cesspit.
Re: Shame On Our Country: 10 Yr Old Chose Death Than Go Back To Nigeria. by AloyEmeka6: 5:17pm On Oct 26, 2009
tpia.:

if she's sent back home, she should just stay somewhere far from people who know her.

End of story.

Nobody is chasing her more than any other Nigerian kid going through the same. I am not blaming the girl becaise its hard to adapt in Nigeria after getting used to a better life. Her frequent ice cream will be substituted with kuli kuli; every hour pepsi will be subsituted with zobo and the constant AC will be sub with fan, annoying mosquitoes and noise from raggedy neighbours. It will not be easy and I am sure her mom must have briefed her on what will go down in that jungle called Nigeria.
Re: Shame On Our Country: 10 Yr Old Chose Death Than Go Back To Nigeria. by Kobojunkie: 5:25pm On Oct 26, 2009
oyb:

Does the name of the brothers matter in the case of a suicide? Why does it matter who her husband is now? Does her being a baby mama change things in some way? Do you realize that there are so many women in Africa today who are SUPPOSEDLY married but living as PROFICIENT baby mamas? Does the presence of a husband change anything for most?

oyb:

UUmm . . . . apparently, this suicide is not about her father. It is possible the father abandoned them or something. Or maybe the father may have had a hand in the killing of the brothers.

oyb:

Yes, I think so. Not all persons who have lost loved ones go around flashing pictures of the dead and gravestones. What you have above sounds like a creepy approach.

oyb:

BS
Nuclear family ke? Which kin world you dey self?

Dude, chill. We need to be careful not to trivialize her situation oo. This is fast reminding me of what happened in church yesterday.
Re: Shame On Our Country: 10 Yr Old Chose Death Than Go Back To Nigeria. by Recognise: 5:27pm On Oct 26, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

. . . I am not blaming the girl because its hard to adapt in Nigeria after getting used to a better life.

Her frequent ice cream will be substituted with kuli kuli; every hour pepsi will be subsituted with zobo and the constant AC will be sub with fan,

Annoying mosquitoes and noise from raggedy neighbours.

It will not be easy and I am sure her mom must have briefed her on what will go down in that jungle called Nigeria.

@^

Kuli-kuli for Ice cream

Zobo for Pepsi

O ma se ooo. Hold up, we cant take it no more and please stop cracking us up
Re: Shame On Our Country: 10 Yr Old Chose Death Than Go Back To Nigeria. by jaybee3(m): 5:29pm On Oct 26, 2009
make una leave that one jare.
it's highly unlikely that the woman is telling the truth abt her sons being killed. Na today Nigerians dey lie.
No be benson lie for UK force program?
A 30+ year old man claiming to be 16 and crying lie a lil fowl just to stay in UK.
Girl must have been coached
Re: Shame On Our Country: 10 Yr Old Chose Death Than Go Back To Nigeria. by Nobody: 5:29pm On Oct 26, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Does the name of the brothers matter in the case of a suicide? Why does it matter who her husband is now? Does her being a baby mama change things in some way? Do you realize that there are so many women in Africa today who are SUPPOSEDLY married but living as PROFICIENT baby mamas? Does the presence of a husband change anything for most?
UUmm . . . . apparently, this suicide is not about her father. It is possible the father abandoned them or something. Or maybe the father may have had a hand in the killing of the brothers.
Yes, I think so. Not all persons who have lost loved ones go around flashing pictures of the dead and gravestones. What you have above sounds like a creepy approach.
Nuclear family ke? Which kin world you dey self?

Dude, chill. We need to be careful not to trivialize her situation oo. This is fast reminding me of what happened in church yesterday.

read my last post
Re: Shame On Our Country: 10 Yr Old Chose Death Than Go Back To Nigeria. by AloyEmeka6: 5:35pm On Oct 26, 2009
Recognise:

@^

Kuli-kuli for Ice cream

Zobo for Pepsi

grin grin Why you de laugh na?. If you be ajebutter, better stay put in obodo oyibo because life no easy for this Naija jungle wey we dey. grin grin
Re: Shame On Our Country: 10 Yr Old Chose Death Than Go Back To Nigeria. by Eziachi: 5:37pm On Oct 26, 2009
Remember someone asked sometime ago here if anyone had ever denied being a Nigeria, and some folk are going banana that they will rather swallow their ball than to deny Nigeria and at the same time they are doing everything including marrying paid prostitutes in order to obtain a foreign passport. Now someone want to kill herself rather than to go back to that cesspit called Nigeria and she is only 10 years old and she hasn't even experience what Nigeria can reduce a human being into. That says it all.
Re: Shame On Our Country: 10 Yr Old Chose Death Than Go Back To Nigeria. by bawomolo(m): 5:47pm On Oct 26, 2009
And seriously never heard of suicide attributed to fear of being packed in a tight space. gob!! People who are afraid of small spaces(especially cause they feel they would DIE IN THERE) are not suicidal. And I didn't know detention centers has TINY SPACES for detainees.

solitary confinement can turn people crazy.

prisoners in protected custody (away from the general population) have an higher rate of suicide than other prisoners.

Recognise:

@^

Kuli-kuli for Ice cream

Zobo for Pepsi

lol poor girl. mr biggs dey now
Re: Shame On Our Country: 10 Yr Old Chose Death Than Go Back To Nigeria. by AloyEmeka6: 5:48pm On Oct 26, 2009
bawomolo:

lol poor girl.  mr biggs dey now

Will you provide the funds for coinstant purchase of Otunba Biggs?
Re: Shame On Our Country: 10 Yr Old Chose Death Than Go Back To Nigeria. by bawomolo(m): 5:50pm On Oct 26, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

Will you provide the funds for coinstant purchase of Otunba Biggs?

that's what the pure water hawking is for.

get to work young girl  cheesy
Re: Shame On Our Country: 10 Yr Old Chose Death Than Go Back To Nigeria. by Kobojunkie: 5:51pm On Oct 26, 2009
bawomolo:

solitary confinement can turn people crazy.

prisoners in protected custody (away from the general population) have an higher rate of suicide than other prisoners.

People who go CRAZY WHEN confined in solitary confinement are not necessarily claustophobic. That can happen to anyone.  Claustophobes are just people with fears of small spaces, many with fear that they would die if put in a small space. That don't mean they kill themselves when cramped into a small space.
Re: Shame On Our Country: 10 Yr Old Chose Death Than Go Back To Nigeria. by AloyEmeka6: 5:53pm On Oct 26, 2009
bawomolo:

that's what the pure water hawking is for.

get to work young girl  cheesy

Nigerian child labour laws prohibits children from working in its entirety unless they are helping their parents to peddle drugs or hide stolen funds
Re: Shame On Our Country: 10 Yr Old Chose Death Than Go Back To Nigeria. by bawomolo(m): 5:55pm On Oct 26, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

Nigerian child labour laws prohibits children from working in its entirety unless they are helping their parents to peddle drugs or hide stolen funds

nigerian laws are meant to be broken.

but come o, does this cult that is chasing their family really exist.   Any records (death certificates) of her dead children.  This story smells
Re: Shame On Our Country: 10 Yr Old Chose Death Than Go Back To Nigeria. by Nobody: 5:58pm On Oct 26, 2009
^^^^

read my links

in this one na her brothers
in another her sons
in another she is running away from cult
in yet another she is running away from husband
in another still na fgm

escape from naija episode 2
Re: Shame On Our Country: 10 Yr Old Chose Death Than Go Back To Nigeria. by bawomolo(m): 5:59pm On Oct 26, 2009
tales by moonlight

it's a superstory
Re: Shame On Our Country: 10 Yr Old Chose Death Than Go Back To Nigeria. by citizenY(m): 6:06pm On Oct 26, 2009
The mother is exploiting this child. Using the child to remain in the UK . Its a shame
that the child is acting roles that must have been prescribed by the mother.
Re: Shame On Our Country: 10 Yr Old Chose Death Than Go Back To Nigeria. by MrCrackles(m): 6:17pm On Oct 26, 2009
Topic. . . .
Na wa ooo. . , sad
Re: Shame On Our Country: 10 Yr Old Chose Death Than Go Back To Nigeria. by AloyEmeka6: 6:19pm On Oct 26, 2009
oyb:

^^^^

read my links

in this one na her brothers
in another her sons
in another she is running away from cult
in yet another she is running away from husband
in another still na fgm

escape from naija episode 2
grin grin grin Nollywood is getting a free script here. Next one will be escape from a Unilorin trained electricity engineer known as Becomerich because his satellite images make them claustrophobic.

Don't mind me, I forgot that Nigerians are threatening Becomerich's life too. He made the report to US and UK the other day.
Re: Shame On Our Country: 10 Yr Old Chose Death Than Go Back To Nigeria. by RichyBlacK(m): 6:26pm On Oct 26, 2009
Another consequence of having the most useless government in the world.

I'm wondering who will even take them to the hospital in ANY Nigerian detention center.

When are we Nigerians going to set aside foolish ethnic divisions, form a mass movement and start doing whatever is necessary to remove ALL the thieves pretending to be our leaders?
Re: Shame On Our Country: 10 Yr Old Chose Death Than Go Back To Nigeria. by AloyEmeka6: 6:44pm On Oct 26, 2009
RichyBlacK:

Another consequence of having the most useless government in the world.

I'm wondering who will even take them to the hospital in ANY Nigerian detention center.

When are we Nigerians going to set aside foolish ethnic divisions, form a mass movement and start doing [b]whatever is necessary to remove ALL the thieves pretending to be our leaders?[/b]

You forgot that ethnic divisions must be present so that our thieves can thrive. As soon as that barrier is broken, their major source of support will go with it and they will become endangered. I am sure it will take some time but in 10-20 years, it will happen because most of these kids growing up today care about their tribes more like Ghana cares about the whereabouts of osama bin laden.

(1) (2) (Reply)

London Money Laundering Trial:theresa Ibori Breaks Down,disowns Husby In London / Benue State Governor, Suswam, In Certificate Forgery Scandal / Fresh Battle In Kano •boko Haram Attack, Burn Police Station

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.