Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,637 members, 7,809,391 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:42 AM

Cyber Security In Nigeria! - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Cyber Security In Nigeria! (3544 Views)

What Do You Know About Cyber Security In Nigeria / Data Science Or Cyber Security? / Cyber Security Free IT School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cyber Security In Nigeria! by AceQueen(f): 1:13pm On Oct 26, 2016
Hello everyone I'm looking forward to an exciting career in cyber security here in Nigeria. Exciting because I kinda have passion for it. Though I right now, I have little or no knowledge in that area but I believe any skill is learnable. I've read a little bit about it, I'd like to get some opinion and knowledge from you guys. Like they say, experience is the best teacher. What are the necessary certifications anyone looking in this direction ought to go after? I know about Security+, CCNA and CCNP. Which should I go for first? Also, does it really make any difference if I get those certifications in India or here in Nigeria? Thanks
Re: Cyber Security In Nigeria! by Oliverkahn(m): 1:28pm On Oct 26, 2016
Indian will be best to learn Cyber security.

Learning Cyber security involve a continous learning because of the contious advancement in technology.
Re: Cyber Security In Nigeria! by AceQueen(f): 4:13pm On Oct 26, 2016
Oliverkahn:
Indian will be best to learn Cyber security.

Learning Cyber security involve a continous learning because of the contious advancement in technology.
Thanks Oliver. You know of any school or organization you can recommend where I will not only get certificate but also and more importantly, gain proper, sound knowledge/skill?
Re: Cyber Security In Nigeria! by Whytelyon(m): 7:15pm On Oct 26, 2016
India and the entire Asia Pacific is by far the worst place to learn cyber security, they just good at the programming part ,to secure it, becomes a super problem.
Read about the hack carried out In india largest bank (HDFC) then you should understand.

http://www.massivealliance.com/2016/09/19/countries-facing-worst-cyber-security-challenges

Talking about security, there is nothing like security. Just protect while you can and always be alert. You wouldn't believe these days even big countries like the USA have open ports on their servers.

I would say you be talking about Israel, China, Russia, Japan, Romania, Brazil. Google where the best hackers live, there you would see the best cyber security experts.

Salem.
Re: Cyber Security In Nigeria! by Bishop(m): 12:41am On Oct 27, 2016
Estonia, is good place but Very competitive

2 Likes

Re: Cyber Security In Nigeria! by okwyee(m): 12:37pm On Oct 27, 2016
ahem, I don't know how this my advise might look to you, it might be a good idea, maybe not....

once in highschool, my school introduced a program for us to get familiar with IT stuffs (fortunately, that's where I learnt most of what I know about the computer now, and also where I developed the passion for IT).

though then most of what we were taught were boring because as you would expect in Nigeria more theory less practical although they tried in the practical aspect (at least still better than what I'm experiencing here I'm the university).

Back to the point, We called the program Cisco because it was a Cisco initiative, and thereafter I got the 1st level certificate (it's called compitiA) we were mostly taught how the computer operates, operating systems, computer parts, networking, trouble shooting among many others which are the fundamental stuffs you have to know if you definitely have passion for IT.
I'm not saying you should look for where to take-up the course because it's damn expensive, last I heard about it, it's more than 150k but I was lucky I had It in school because it was ridiculously cheaper... well that's well over two years ago...

fast forward to 2 weeks ago, I met someone on FB, he's really into cyber security stuffs and he's just 15.. he uses his skills mostly for menacing, I don't blame him though, he's still young and don't really know the worth of what he can do.... but overall the guy's very good, communicating further with him, he introduced me to a website, https://www.cybrary.it I checked it out and I was really baffled, all what I learnt in highschool were there when I checked out their compitiA course and their courses are free and it's mostly video tutorials with some written ones too, further looking into the site, Many more courses, like pentesting etc. the website is just all about cyber security, with about 600k people using it, though I haven't explored the site that much but it looks like they've got an active forum too and issue certificate too once you complete their courses and exams. and they also have companies ready to people from the website (just check the site out and you'll see what I'm talking about). you have to create an account first to access their courses (of course)

Though, the thing is all these IT stuffs are better understood when you're being taught by an expert, but my friend told me he knew all he knows from that site by watching numerous YouTube videos, courses from the website, reading many books and most importantly practicing... he recently showed me how to get a Wi-Fi password, which I tried at a café, since then I've been using their Wi-Fi for free (I feel guilty about this but I'll be leaving soon), he also told how he learnt how to hack emails with Python courtesy of a course he learnt there too..

so all in all, you should check that site, know if it works for you and continue learning with anything you can lay your hands on.
if it doesn't, you could look for where to learn it like the people above me have suggested.
Note: it all depends on you and your learning attitude..
goodluck.

2 Likes

Re: Cyber Security In Nigeria! by AceQueen(f): 9:31pm On Oct 27, 2016
Wow thanks so much everyone that commented.
okwyee, on my way to the website already cheesy
Re: Cyber Security In Nigeria! by Whytelyon(m): 8:48am On Oct 28, 2016
okwyee:
ahem, I don't know how this my advise might look to you, it might be a good idea, maybe not....

once in highschool, my school introduced a program for us to get familiar with IT stuffs (fortunately, that's where I learnt most of what I know about the computer now, and also where I developed the passion for IT).

though then most of what we were taught were boring because as you would expect in Nigeria more theory less practical although they tried in the practical aspect (at least still better than what I'm experiencing here I'm the university).

Back to the point, We called the program Cisco because it was a Cisco initiative, and thereafter I got the 1st level certificate (it's called compitiA) we were mostly taught how the computer operates, operating systems, computer parts, networking, trouble shooting among many others which are the fundamental stuffs you have to know if you definitely have passion for IT.
I'm not saying you should look for where to take-up the course because it's damn expensive, last I heard about it, it's more than 150k but I was lucky I had It in school because it was ridiculously cheaper... well that's well over two years ago...

fast forward to 2 weeks ago, I met someone on FB, he's really into cyber security stuffs and he's just 15.. he uses his skills mostly for menacing, I don't blame him though, he's still young and don't really know the worth of what he can do.... but overall the guy's very good, communicating further with him, he introduced me to a website, https://www.cybrary.it I checked it out and I was really baffled, all what I learnt in highschool were there when I checked out their compitiA course and their courses are free and it's mostly video tutorials with some written ones too, further looking into the site, Many more courses, like pentesting etc. the website is just all about cyber security, with about 600k people using it, though I haven't explored the site that much but it looks like they've got an active forum too and issue certificate too once you complete their courses and exams. and they also have companies ready to people from the website (just check the site out and you'll see what I'm talking about). you have to create an account first to access their courses (of course)

Though, the thing is all these IT stuffs are better understood when you're being taught by an expert, but my friend told me he knew all he knows from that site by watching numerous YouTube videos, courses from the website, reading many books and most importantly practicing... he recently showed me how to get a Wi-Fi password, which I tried at a café, since then I've been using their Wi-Fi for free (I feel guilty about this but I'll be leaving soon), he also told how he learnt how to hack emails with Python courtesy of a course he learnt there too..

so all in all, you should check that site, know if it works for you and continue learning with anything you can lay your hands on.
if it doesn't, you could look for where to learn it like the people above me have suggested.
Note: it all depends on you and your learning attitude..
goodluck.

Very funny. What I said,and what the 15 year old is doing obviously has no difference don't you think so? The ones who know it are left behind,and the ones who don't have a single idea are employed. You, in your right senses think he wouldn't steal or do evil with his skills? Not everyone has conscience like you and me, I hope you know that.

AceQueen:
Wow thanks so much everyone that commented.
okwyee, on my way to the website already cheesy

Good luck on your endeavour. But bear in mind, penetrative testing is no more 100% concerned on server side apps. Flaw of security is no more eagle eyed on Web application. It's extended, and the more the technology, the more the loop hole.

Think about it.
Re: Cyber Security In Nigeria! by haggai247: 12:03am On Nov 03, 2016
the key to information technology is to learn and also assume you know nothing

(1) (Reply)

My Collections Of Python Projects / TimeCoin - Developers wanted / Need School Management Software

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.