Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,493 members, 7,830,491 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 11:28 PM

Oracle, Open Source And Other Dba's This Is For You! - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Oracle, Open Source And Other Dba's This Is For You! (1383 Views)

Microsoft Takes .NET Open Source and Cross-platform / [C++ Open Source] Relax! ( File Management Tool) / Creating An Open-source Java Web Service (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oracle, Open Source And Other Dba's This Is For You! by determined: 10:47pm On Jan 01, 2007
finally, Ive done my 1z0-042 and passed with 100%. is it a common trend or is it totally difficult?
and yes i do believe DBA's should have a special thread on this forum because first of all, we're quite and number and we are extremely important.
are there any DBA's who would like to start a forum to share ideas, and sometimes meet here in Lagos to rub minds and share experiences over a meal (say ocean view) and we could even birth new DBA's and introduce them into the field, helping them with study guides and dumps. how does this sound
lets hook up!
Re: Oracle, Open Source And Other Dba's This Is For You! by gbengaijot(m): 11:35pm On Jan 01, 2007
of course hy not?, as long as you will pay for my meal at ocean view resuatrant.
Re: Oracle, Open Source And Other Dba's This Is For You! by determined: 11:38pm On Jan 01, 2007
ok let me make it quite clear. its dutch style for any restaurant we have to go to or else we get a piggy bank! i cant possible afford to pay for big professionals like you guys.
Re: Oracle, Open Source And Other Dba's This Is For You! by gbengaijot(m): 7:39am On Jan 02, 2007
if you cannoit pay, then please don't suggest it, grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Oracle, Open Source And Other Dba's This Is For You! by nateone(m): 10:56pm On Jan 13, 2007
determined:

finally, Ive done my 1z0-042 and passed with 100%. is it a common trend or is it totally difficult?
and yes i do believe DBA's should have a special thread on this forum because first of all, we're quite and number and we are extremely important.
are there any DBA's who would like to start a forum to share ideas, and sometimes meet here in Lagos to rub minds and share experiences over a meal (say ocean view) and we could even birth new DBA's and introduce them into the field, helping them with study guides and dumps. how does this sound
lets hook up!

hi
come 22 of this month i will be starting a class on oracle certified associate which i learn is the beginner course, i wil like to know if this is the right direction to take since i will be paying up to 40k for the classes in one of this school that also acts as a testing centre.
am really in need of advice before i pay them this money.thanks
Re: Oracle, Open Source And Other Dba's This Is For You! by determined: 5:01pm On Feb 12, 2007
nateone:

hi
come 22 of this month i will be starting a class on oracle certified associate which i learn is the beginner course, i wil like to know if this is the right direction to take since i will be paying up to 40k for the classes in one of this school that also acts as a testing centre.
am really in need of advice before i pay them this money.thanks
well, its totally up to you whether to pay or not. but personally, i just thought it was a lot of money to study for it in a nigerian study center so i did it in the UK during a holiday and all i had to do was personal study and just to pay for the exam in a testing centre (£68) and i passed with 100%. and of course i dint regret not paying N350, 000 in NIIT to do it.

but in your case, its currently not possible to pay for the exam online from nigeria so for N40k i think its worth it. but you need to add a lot of self study to it.

all the best though.
Re: Oracle, Open Source And Other Dba's This Is For You! by zai(f): 1:40pm On Feb 13, 2007
Hi,pls am new here n found ur posting interesting.Am presently working with sybase and will like to go for oracle.Can u pls tell me ao related this dbms are.
Re: Oracle, Open Source And Other Dba's This Is For You! by determined: 2:49pm On Feb 13, 2007
zai:

Hi,please am new here n found your posting interesting.Am presently working with sybase and will like to go for oracle.Can u please tell me ao related this dbms are.

well if you ask me (im trying not to be biased), from a general point of view, oracle is well advanced and addresses a whole lot of dbms issues which makes it vast and more desired by large companies. however, sybase to others is much simpler to understand and infact some people are of the opinion that there is no need to be an oracle dba when you already are with sybase.
my advice is, no knowledge is ever lost. if you become an oracle dba you have an edge over others because you are conversant with both dbms. oracle dbas are currently the most sought after basically but you can search the web and find out other peoples opinions. try this link:

http://searchoracle.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid41_gci1210703,00.html

i hope its helpful
Re: Oracle, Open Source And Other Dba's This Is For You! by zai(f): 4:32pm On Feb 13, 2007
thanx so much 4 d response.i so believe someone might be used to both system thats why i asked 4 ur opinions.
The site is much than useful.
Re: Oracle, Open Source And Other Dba's This Is For You! by determined: 4:41pm On Feb 13, 2007
zai:

thanx so much 4 d response.i so believe someone might be used to both system thats why i asked 4 your opinions.
The site is much than useful.

you're most definitely welcome!
Re: Oracle, Open Source And Other Dba's This Is For You! by zai(f): 4:59pm On Feb 13, 2007
pls,i will also appreci8 if u can send me any useful hints/material for Oracle beginner
n if i may ask do u know anywhere in Abuja where i can enrol for d certification exam.
ur quick response will be gr8ly appreci8ed.my e-mail id is zeenak2005@rediffmail.com
thanx
Re: Oracle, Open Source And Other Dba's This Is For You! by determined: 5:06pm On Feb 13, 2007
zai:

please,i will also appreci8 if u can send me any useful hints/material for Oracle beginner
n if i may ask do u know anywhere in Abuja where i can enrol for d certification exam.
your quick response will be gr8ly appreci8ed.my e-mail id is zeenak2005@rediffmail.com
thanx

well zai,
there should be at least one place you can do it in abjua. you can check on www.prometric.com
however, nigerians cant pay online except you are taking the exam abroad then you can use a credit card abroad.
and for the books and materials you can get the whole 1z0-042 + 1z0-043 dumps and books at a very cheap price.

email: mysql@onedollarthingys.com

all the best!
Re: Oracle, Open Source And Other Dba's This Is For You! by IG: 7:27pm On Feb 14, 2007
Are we talking only about Oracle here or other dbms are welcomed ?
If yes then checkout firebird

I think it's the best thing to happen in the rdbms world.

www.firebirdsql.org

The features and benefits are too many to be listed here.
I've been using it for a couple of years now, if you're interested in it and need any help
just talk to (aig@linuxmail.org)
Re: Oracle, Open Source And Other Dba's This Is For You! by chionwa(f): 8:29am On Feb 16, 2007
i am really interested in becoming a DBA, but i was adviced to started with MCSE, i don't know if that is OK. i don't mind knowing you, i need direction in this as i don't want to deviate from my field
Re: Oracle, Open Source And Other Dba's This Is For You! by determined: 1:05pm On Feb 16, 2007
chionwa:

i am really interested in becoming a DBA, but i was adviced to started with MCSE, i don't know if that is OK. i don't mind knowing you, i need direction in this as i don't want to deviate from my field

hi chionwa.
you dint say what field you are in. however, i dont know about starting out with mcse.
i dont even have that and it is not a prerequisite to becoming a dba. what i can say though is that if you have a knowledge of sql, you have an edge and it will be easier for you to understand oracle dbms or any other dbms.
Re: Oracle, Open Source And Other Dba's This Is For You! by Xceptional: 8:54am On Feb 17, 2007
Please anybody, to what extents can the dumps take u in ur OCA certification, as im about to write my OCA in 2 weeks. Thanks
Re: Oracle, Open Source And Other Dba's This Is For You! by determined: 12:12pm On Feb 17, 2007
Xceptional:

Please anybody, to what extents can the dumps take u in your OCA certification, as im about to write my OCA in 2 weeks. Thanks

dumps can take you a long way as long as you understand the questions and can explain the answers to the questions. and you also need to have a general overview of how the oracle dbms works so that youre not just cramming the dumps withouth an understanding.
Re: Oracle, Open Source And Other Dba's This Is For You! by larryoncol(m): 3:42pm On Mar 26, 2007
YEAH THATS VERY TRUE, THERE ARE TWO THINGS, IT'S EITHER YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING AND THEN GO AND CRAME THE DOMES AND PASS AND WHEN YOU COME TO A PRODUCTION DATABASE YOU START TO MOB WHEN YOU ARE ASKED TO IMPLEMEMNT SOMETHING, SO FOR ALL THOSE WHO FEEL THAT YOU CAN JUST CRAME THE DOMES AND PASS PLS PLS PLS DON'T LET ANYONE DECIEVE YOU OK. IF YOU SHOULD CRASH A DATABASE OF AN ORAGNISATION THAT IS VERY VITAL, YOU CAN GET ARRESTED OK,

LARRY (oca)
Re: Oracle, Open Source And Other Dba's This Is For You! by larryoncol(m): 3:52pm On Mar 26, 2007
DETERMINED:

i do not really agree on you with that on ok, if i where to give anyone an advice on any database course to hold onto it would be oracle becasue we both know that when it come to RDBMS it ORACle for now. i am very well into databses i have done my oca and studied my ocp, designed database's for a few people. the fact is for some one who really understand oracle, you can work with any other database, don't you agree with me,.

larry

(1) (Reply)

Making My Program Into .exe With Vb.net Or Vb 2005 / Somebody Should Help Me With Php Function That Generate Barcode(qr CODE) / Android Developer Ready To Volunteer In Kaduna

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.