Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,827 members, 7,810,173 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:28 PM

Why Do People Always Have Bad Notions About The Mbaise People? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do People Always Have Bad Notions About The Mbaise People? (12639 Views)

Why The 'mbaise' Stereotype In South East / Mbaise People Celebrates New Yam Festival Today Popularly Know As Ji 'mbaise' / Facts About The Mbaise People (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do People Always Have Bad Notions About The Mbaise People? by ebonflexy(m): 11:28am On Nov 13, 2016
Pchidexy:

Why don't you leave Igbo Matter and focus on Edo state. How would you feel if I say that all Edo women are prostitutes and that all Edo men are armed robbers( judging from all the robberies that happens at Benin bye pass along Benin -- Lagos road)

Useless Mugu feeding on sterotypes and generalization.

FYI: Mbaise people are very educated and get mouth in all spheres of life. So, I don't think they need you.

Mechonu undecided
As if all this talk will still stop you people from selling your daughters when time for serious talk comes.
Abi thief dey agree say him be thief? Never. He go get rationalization to him thiefery. To una, that rationalization na "culture" and "Haba, this "small" request is not expensive for a good wife (As if na Virgin Mary the girl be)", followed by kindergaten-grade attempts at psyching the other party like "If you can't handle it, you're a small boy, etc etc".

These tactics aren't new. Marry yourselves please.
We'll continue to make sure we avoid your daughters for you, so please stop flooding the area with your swarm of unmarried (for obvious reasons) females so we can see road to daughters of more sensible tribes!

3 Likes

Re: Why Do People Always Have Bad Notions About The Mbaise People? by Nnysher: 11:50am On Nov 13, 2016
I am Igbo and I love Mbaise people. Igbo bu ofu! One love

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Always Have Bad Notions About The Mbaise People? by aswani(m): 12:19am On Nov 18, 2016
Google Oliver Dr Coque and Mbaise for why anti-Mbaise feelings persist in Iboland.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do People Always Have Bad Notions About The Mbaise People? by puregrace(m): 11:54am On Nov 20, 2016
I will only ask this question ; "What's capital money?" An uncle of mine paid 100k to our inlaw as bride price but the father in law called it "capita money ". After a week of vigorous and emotional negotiations, we later paid 90k,just 10k reduction. Several other homoguous things on list as well. Greed is all I know from them.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Always Have Bad Notions About The Mbaise People? by decub: 11:26am On Apr 17, 2017
hibiscus76:
[b]Over the years I've heard a lot of people speak ill about mbaise, now this is my fatherland, my grassroots and I have never observed anything thing out of the ordinary from our behaviors and relations with people. I feel very saddened when people ask me, "hey, beautiful girl where are you from" and immediately I say Mbaise they act all surprised and unimpressed...there was even this guy that told me that "you're a very nice girl, but the only problem I have with you is your village, why are you even from Mbaise" huh!! undecided undecided now this is quite immature if you ask me.. the trend is that Mbaise people are Overly wise,hates to be cheated but likes to cheat..this myth I have only heard but not seen nor experienced...I mean why would anyone be judged by where they hail from??
N/b: Mbaise is a part of Imo state that makes up 3 of the 27 local government areas in the state..the 3 l.g.a s of mbaise includes Aboh Mbaise, Ahaizu mbaise and Ezinihitte mbaise
Most times I even hear people say that "if you ever come across a snake and an Mbaise man, endeavour to kill the mbaise man first" like seriously?? Oh puhleeeeaaaaaase
This thought is very sickening as well as it is myopic....
Please I'd like to know why people have these beliefs, does anyone know anything? [/b]
I actually started hearing this from childhood back in the days in the East. When I gained admission, I decided to experience things myself. I had a lodgemate from Mbaise whom I experienced this with, I also had a very good friend, quite older than myself(over 10yrs) who is from Isiala Ngwa-at least, you can place the 2 regions and understand what I mean if you know the origin of both as believed by many.

I decided to try out this Mbaise guy on what is believed to be the character of an average Mbaise guy and I can tell you, the guy is a direct opposite of what people believe of Mbaise ppl. He is so liberal, generous, accommodating, non self centered and takes everyone as a friend. One day, I called this my friend and told him about my discoveries and he said I should ask this guy where he was born and bred(Port Harcourt). What I deduced was that environmental influence could have played a very big role but at least, I took something home; certain people are not as black as we paint them.

Yet another time, during my finals, I met another whom I found difficult to believe she is from this region(though trained in Lagos) cos of her character and when I told this my friend, he gave me another reason; that it's because this one wasn't trained at home too.

I didn't stop there and upon graduation, I ran into one one day during our CDS and was glad he was bred at home, as a matter of fact, everything about him is Mbaise. All his words are full of proverbs and adage, even that accent was there. We became acquaintances and at a point, I started getting closer to him to clear that doubt. Though he is not as bad as certain people would paint them, but I experienced some degree of tricks and crafty characters in him. He always wants to be in an advantaged position. Always bent on playing on your intelligence and wouldn't want to get a lesser dose even when it is sacrificial for him to do so.

My conclusion about them, having met some others thereafter is that: an average Mbaise have that trait in him or her even though there are exceptions.

It's not peculiar to Mbaise, other tribes or regions have things they are known for.

On the snake thing, I heard it has to do with being crafty and the tendency to easily outsmart you. Those who know about the story said it started with The late "Dr Sir Warrior" when some deal turned sour.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do People Always Have Bad Notions About The Mbaise People? by Chelseafan1: 6:52am On Apr 25, 2017
hibiscus76:
Over the years I've heard a lot of people speak ill about mbaise, now this is my fatherland, my grassroots and I have never observed anything thing out of the ordinary from our behaviors and relations with people. I feel very saddened when people ask me, "hey, beautiful girl where are you from" and immediately I say Mbaise they act all surprised and unimpressed...there was even this guy that told me that "you're a very nice girl, but the only problem I have with you is your village, why are you even from Mbaise" huh!! undecided undecided now this is quite immature if you ask me.. the trend is that Mbaise people are Overly wise,hates to be cheated but likes to cheat..this myth I have only heard but not seen nor experienced...I mean why would anyone be judged by where they hail from??
N/b: Mbaise is a part of Imo state that makes up 3 of the 27 local government areas in the state..the 3 l.g.a s of mbaise includes Aboh Mbaise, Ahaizu mbaise and Ezinihitte mbaise
Most times I even hear people say that "if you ever come across a snake and an Mbaise man, endeavour to kill the mbaise man first" like seriously?? Oh puhleeeeaaaaaase
Please I'd like to know why people have these beliefs, does anyone know anything? [/b]

The bolded right there is the truth, my experience with my last girlfriend, very pretty mbaise girl, when she turned slay queen in part 2,na den wahala start, she became a cheat, just because of her beauty, different rich guys would pull over for her and eventually get her number, till dey started seeing each other without my knowledge while still forming the perfect gf whenever I went to see her, the day she saw me pick up a girl who stopped me to help her, come and see world war 3 after the girl alighted.

When she started seeing a yahoo guy who deceived her was when I decided it was over between us, after the guy has spoilt the little good manners she still had any fuccccked nonsense from her brain, he apparently hit 100m and dumped her, she has went on to date another guy who left for Dubai and came home, she has other guys she is dating just after about 7 months of breaking up, I am still here taking my time, looking for the right girl.

I have joined the other pple who have ill things to say about them.. ..lemme not even start with how her father maltreats their mom and their family problem.

Even tho i still believe there are good mbaise pple, I have also had my own fair share of their wickedness.

At the end of the day, with her overstretched and expired pucci, they'll now be looking for one maga to pay her bride price and bride list...Tufiakwa!! !!

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People Always Have Bad Notions About The Mbaise People? by Pchidexy(m): 6:46pm On Apr 26, 2017
Chelseafan1:

The bolded right there is the truth, my experience with my last girlfriend, very pretty mbaise girl, when she turned slay queen in part 2,na den wahala start, she became a cheat, just because of her beauty, different rich guys would pull over for her and eventually get her number, till dey started seeing each other without my knowledge while still forming the perfect gf whenever I went to see her, the day she saw me pick up a girl who stopped me to help her, come and see world war 3 after the girl alighted.

When she started seeing a yahoo guy who deceived her was when I decided it was over between us, after the guy has spoilt the little good manners she still had any fuccccked nonsense from her brain, he apparently hit 100m and dumped her, she has went on to date another guy who left for Dubai and came home, she has other guys she is dating just after about 7 months of breaking up, I am still here taking my time, looking for the right girl.

I have joined the other pple who have ill things to say about them.. ..lemme not even start with how her father maltreats their mom and their family problem.

Even tho i still believe there are good mbaise pple, I have also had my own fair share of their wickedness.

At the end of the day, with her overstretched and expired pucci, they'll now be looking for one maga to pay her bride price and bride list...Tufiakwa!! !!
The lamentations of a broke, frustrated lover boy. Sorry bro!
Re: Why Do People Always Have Bad Notions About The Mbaise People? by Chelseafan1: 7:21pm On Apr 26, 2017
Pchidexy:
The lamentations of a broke, frustrated lover boy. Sorry bro!

Abi o, Na so we see am.
Re: Why Do People Always Have Bad Notions About The Mbaise People? by Konquest: 2:35pm On Jun 25, 2017
ebonflexy:
Look, character has nothing to do with it. It's all about the wallet.
Getting married to an Mbaise girl, will bankrupt any young man (especially if he is considered an outsider).
Ain't nobody got time for that in this day and age, but traditionalists will never learn.

Your village people no dey carry last when it comes to CHOPPING pesin and using his money to open several shops all because he wants to marry a young woman from their area.

The sad thing also is that, there is very little the girl's immediate family can do....no matter how 'toosh' they are.
SOMEBODY must sort your greedy village people, and they don't care who.

If you haven't seen greed before, wait until you see your uncles and aunties dragging about how much they want to sell you for when that time comes.

^^^^^^
^^^^^^
Interesting post... Mbaise is where
Dr. Roger Stewart a British Colonial
medical doctor was killed in 1905
around the Onicha Ezinaihite axis
and he was EATEN after being killed
and his bicycle was HUNG or tied
to a tree to prevent it from RUNNING
away! grin

This event is well recorded in the
British official documents and Sir
Allan Burns, the Substantive Governor
General of Nigeria clearly indicated
this in his book "The History of Nigeria"
where he indicated that Ibos were much
addicted to CANNIBALISM, even well
past 1900. Even Chinua Achebe
wrote this account in his Things Fall
Apart but did not mention how
the white man [Dr. Stewart] was killed
and eaten.

This led to a punitive expedition against
Mbaise by the British in 1906 over
Dr. Rogers Stewart's killing. This is part
of the reasons Mbaise may be facing
some discrimination.

But I have met some intelligent
Mbaise people while living in PH.
Need I say that Genevieve Nnaji and
the delectable Rita Dominic have
their roots from there!
Re: Why Do People Always Have Bad Notions About The Mbaise People? by Konquest: 2:43pm On Jun 25, 2017
decub:

I actually started hearing this from childhood back in the days in the East. When I gained admission, I decided to experience things myself. I had a lodgemate from Mbaise whom I experienced this with, I also had a very good friend, quite older than myself(over 10yrs) who is from Isiala Ngwa-at least, you can place the 2 regions and understand what I mean if you know the origin of both as believed by many.

I decided to try out this Mbaise guy on what is believed to be the character of an average Mbaise guy and I can tell you, the guy is a direct opposite of what people believe of Mbaise ppl. He is so liberal, generous, accommodating, non self centered and takes everyone as a friend. One day, I called this my friend and told him about my discoveries and he said I should ask this guy where he was born and bred(Port Harcourt). What I deduced was that environmental influence could have played a very big role but at least, I took something home; certain people are not as black as we paint them.

Yet another time, during my finals, I met another whom I found difficult to believe she is from this region(though trained in Lagos) cos of her character and when I told this my friend, he gave me another reason; that it's because this one wasn't trained at home too.

I didn't stop there and upon graduation, I ran into one one day during our CDS and was glad he was bred at home, as a matter of fact, everything about him is Mbaise. All his words are full of proverbs and adage, even that accent was there. We became acquaintances and at a point, I started getting closer to him to clear that doubt. Though he is not as bad as certain people would paint them, but I experienced some degree of tricks and crafty characters in him. He always wants to be in an advantaged position. Always bent on playing on your intelligence and wouldn't want to get a lesser dose even when it is sacrificial for him to do so.

My conclusion about them, having met some others thereafter is that: an average Mbaise have that trait in him or her even though there are exceptions.

It's not peculiar to Mbaise, other tribes or regions have things they are known for.

On the snake thing, I heard it has to do with being crafty and the tendency to easily outsmart you. Those who know about the story said it started with The late "Dr Sir Warrior" when some deal turned sour.

^^^^^^^^^
Your post got me laughing in
some paragraphs... grin
Re: Why Do People Always Have Bad Notions About The Mbaise People? by Nobody: 11:15pm On Oct 04, 2017
hibiscus76:
[b]Over the years I've heard a lot of people speak ill about mbaise, now this is my fatherland, my grassroots and I have never observed anything thing out of the ordinary from our behaviors and relations with people. I feel very saddened when people ask me, "hey, beautiful girl where are you from" and immediately I say Mbaise they act all surprised and unimpressed...there was even this guy that told me that "you're a very nice girl, but the only problem I have with you is your village, why are you even from Mbaise" huh!! undecided undecided now this is quite immature if you ask me.. the trend is that Mbaise people are Overly wise,hates to be cheated but likes to cheat..this myth I have only heard but not seen nor experienced...I mean why would anyone be judged by where they hail from??

Don't mind them... It's due to their superiority complex...and has little or nothing to do with the culture of the Mbiase people
Re: Why Do People Always Have Bad Notions About The Mbaise People? by Nobody: 11:17pm On Oct 04, 2017
decub:

What can i say? Funny post
Re: Why Do People Always Have Bad Notions About The Mbaise People? by Unik3030: 11:18pm On Oct 05, 2017
Na since when I dey very small Dem don warn me never to have anything doing with mbaise people, whether male or female. those people, even Mathias tire for there matter

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Always Have Bad Notions About The Mbaise People? by Probz(m): 11:33pm On Oct 05, 2017
Because they’re silly cunts for the most part. Never trust an Ifeanyi from Mbaise. Especially if he goes to Redeemed.
Re: Why Do People Always Have Bad Notions About The Mbaise People? by oluebubeneo(f): 8:54pm On Oct 06, 2017
Hmm.... After some people will start shouting racism and xenophobia... Nigerians and stereotypes... something else. Have you ever thought of it this way? If there were no local governments and states, who'll be blamed? the entire igbos abi? lol. Whether some people like it or not, people from mbaise keep succeeding in all aspects of their lives. This depends on individuals you know. It's shameful to think that with all the level of education some people have acquired, they're still stereotypical. How has your stereotypes made the world a better place? Maybe people should pay more attention to educating their minds and see people for who they really are.
Re: Why Do People Always Have Bad Notions About The Mbaise People? by BabaRamota1980: 5:53am On Oct 08, 2017
Are Mbaise people Ngwa or Wawa?
Re: Why Do People Always Have Bad Notions About The Mbaise People? by ChinenyeN(m): 3:05pm On Nov 27, 2017
BabaRamota1980:
Are Mbaise people Ngwa or Wawa?

Major parts of Mbaise share linguistic, cultural and ancestral affinity with Ngwa.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Always Have Bad Notions About The Mbaise People? by Williepkean: 11:57am On Sep 14, 2021
[/color]
hibiscus76:
[color=#006600][b]Over the years I've heard a lot of people speak ill about mbaise, now this is my fatherland, my grassroots and I have never observed anything thing out of the ordinary from our behaviors and relations with people. I feel very saddened when people ask me, "hey, beautiful girl where are you from" and immediately I say Mbaise they act all surprised and unimpressed...there was even this guy that told me that "you're a very nice girl, but the only problem I have with you is your village, why are you even from Mbaise" huh!! undecided undecided now this is quite immature if you ask me.. the trend is that Mbaise people are Overly wise,hates to be cheated but likes to cheat..this myth I have only heard but not seen nor experienced...I mean why would anyone be judged by where they hail from??

It's obvious in most girls in mbaise, they careless if you're not bouyant enough and fucking mean and stubborn to men. Well, let imo marry imo cos it suites, Anambra can marry from there but enugu Keep off, if you still love your feelings
Re: Why Do People Always Have Bad Notions About The Mbaise People? by Williepkean: 12:18pm On Sep 14, 2021
I have seen Alot from my girlfriend from mbaise, I thought that since she didn't grew up in mbaise her character would be different, but I think I've started believing what I'm hearing about this village, this girl has never focus on one man. Even to the extent of meeting a side boyfriend in her apt the day I decided to visit her without her notice, guess what happened when I met this guy in her house" we greeted eachother and tell the guy well-done and take my leave. I can't come and kill myself for relationship... Mbaise girls na mostly olosho dem full in.
Re: Why Do People Always Have Bad Notions About The Mbaise People? by Swiftgrp: 4:51pm On Oct 03, 2023
Konquest:

^^^^^^
^^^^^^
Interesting post... Mbaise is where
Dr. Roger Stewart a British Colonial
medical doctor was killed in 1905
around the Onicha Ezinaihite axis
and he was EATEN after being killed
and his bicycle was HUNG or tied
to a tree to prevent it from RUNNING
away! grin

This event is well recorded in the
British official documents and Sir
Allan Burns, the Substantive Governor
General of Nigeria clearly indicated
this in his book "The History of Nigeria"
where he indicated that Ibos were much
addicted to CANNIBALISM, even well
past 1900. Even Chinua Achebe
wrote this account in his Things Fall
Apart but did not mention how
the white man [Dr. Stewart] was killed
and eaten.

This led to a punitive expedition against
Mbaise by the British in 1906 over
Dr. Rogers Stewart's killing. This is part
of the reasons Mbaise may be facing
some discrimination.

But I have met some intelligent
Mbaise people while living in PH.
Need I say that Genevieve Nnaji and
the delectable Rita Dominic have
their roots from there!

Bump.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ooni Goes Into Seclusion, Seeks Spiritual Intervention Over Economic Hardship / Should Inter-tribal Marriages Be Encouraged? / Ibeyi Talk About Their Yoruba Heritage In A New Interview

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.