Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,780 members, 7,831,514 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 08:02 PM

Top 5 Parenting Mistakes Not To Make In Raising Your Children - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Top 5 Parenting Mistakes Not To Make In Raising Your Children (564 Views)

Steps In Raising Children With Healthy Self Esteem / 7 Terrible Mistakes People Make In Marriage / Uncommon PHOTO: See Top Parenting Mistakes Mom With Newborn Babies Make (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Top 5 Parenting Mistakes Not To Make In Raising Your Children by OwanbeAdmin: 9:34am On Oct 27, 2016
Growing up can be really difficult especially when it has gotten to the point at which you want to be in control of every situation. While growing up, we tend to make some parenting mistakes that can either be permanent or temporary. Before I go into details, let me brush up on the different stages of growth and development in humans.

Stages of Growth in Human
Infancy – this is from the time of delivery to 2 years. Here, the child does not know what is right and what is not.
Early childhood – this is known as “the grooming stage” and it ranges from 3 to 8 years.
Middle childhood – this is when a child falls from 9 to 14 years.
Adolescence (Teen) – I call this “the pruning stage”; 15 to 18 years. It is the stage in which the child would decide to do things to please them. I also like to call it “the headache stage” as some mothers who have low tolerance level.

As the saying goes, children are rewards from the lord. I met a lady one day; after having a long talk with her, she told me that she is tired of her children- teen to be exact. I asked why. The response she gave was that they are just “too stubborn”. Then I asked her; ”didn’t you pass through the stage they are in now?”.

he said,” I didn’t give my momma the headache they are giving me now”. Of course, it was something to laugh over.

It is true that training up a child is tedious and sometimes, as parents, we tend to make mistakes without knowing it. I hope this article would shed more light and also help you amend where you have missed it.

Parenting Mistakes And Amendments
1. YELLING: it is true that kids can get on your nerves and you blow your top. This would only put them in “shutdown” mode. Nothing you tell them would get into their heads. So, whenever something wrong is done, simply caution them with calmness and love. As they

2. COMPETITIVE PARENTING: It is true that every parent wants their children to be the best but when it becomes something of great competition, maybe among family members or among friends, you tend to overwork the child and instead of leading the child in the path of destiny, the child ends up doing what he or she doesn’t want and it affects the child psychologically.
3. WITHHOLDING VITAL FACTS/INFORMATION FROM THEM: It is of great sadness that parents of today find it repulsive to inadequate to tell children stuff that ought to be known from a particular age till they fall into the hands of advantage-takers. The thought of talking to a teen about sex seems inappropriate to some parents but do you know that a 9-year old girl can get pregnant? It is important that at a certain age, you should sit your child down, either boy or girl and talk about sex so they won’t decide to “experiment”.
[b]4. OVERWORKING THEM: [/b]There is a saying that “all work and no play make Jack a dull boy”. I remember when I was little; my dad never let me mix with other kids. It was either I read or I write or I just get busy with academic work of any kind. It affected me when I got into the university because I found it very hard to involve myself in social activities. I later got a hang of it though. When they are tired, give them a break. Everything isn’t all about work.
[b]5. EMOTIONAL NEGLECT: [/b]Growing up has taught me a whole lot of things. I remember when my kid brother was growing up, anytime he wants to cry, my dad would tell him boys don’t cry. It got me thinking; “how is that possible?”. That is one hell of a parenting mistake. My aunt then told me that it is very important that one must let out his or her emotions. So, my advice is, let your kids let their emotions out. It is relieving.
I could go on and on but I want these to sink in. As parenting mistakes are made, they can be corrected. Enjoy!!

Source: http://owanbeparries.com/2016/10/26/top-5-parenting-mistakes-not-made/

(1) (Reply)

Five Causes Of Divorce In Marriage Today / INTRIGUE 101 / Understanding Food Allergies In Babies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.