Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,775 members, 7,817,178 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:53 AM

Car Dealers Help Needed Here - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Car Dealers Help Needed Here (689 Views)

Are Nigerian Car Dealers In The Usa Fraustrated Already ? / Car Dealers In Abuja / Used Car Dealers Around Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Car Dealers Help Needed Here by olasboy: 2:32pm On Oct 26, 2009
Are you are car dealer or you know about cars,

I am being offered to buy a caravan Dodge (mini) tokunbo, seems clean but has odometer reading above 250k. I known the car is not very common and I'm being sceptical.

Kindly post what you know or think about this type of space bus, your comments are welcomed and invaluabe to me.

An idea of reasonable price will also be appreciated.

Keep them coming, Thx
Re: Car Dealers Help Needed Here by kenkruse: 3:42pm On Oct 26, 2009
I have a similar ordeal about crazily high mileage car.
mine seems better cos the car is widely used in Nigeria and as such, parts are affordable.

I dont really know, short of words. undecided

but hey! lets wait for the experts in the house.
Re: Car Dealers Help Needed Here by olasboy: 4:14pm On Oct 26, 2009
Thanks man. Experts pls talk
Re: Car Dealers Help Needed Here by familierl: 7:32pm On Oct 26, 2009
hi poster, 250k is a lot, anyway, what year is the van and what state was it been used. The car has been heavily used and has shot or no life left in it,probarble 6months - 1yr. This depends on the previous user's maintanace on the van.
Re: Car Dealers Help Needed Here by alanbolo(m): 8:19pm On Oct 26, 2009
Ola, it's true that the mileage is very high, As much as I will agree that it depends on the past users in regard to maintenance, what u should look for is the cost to replace the engine and transmission at worst case scenario.

I have dealt with numerous cars over 200k and those that bought it are still appreciable till date. At times, u may have the odometer very high while the actual engine mileage might be very low compared to the dash board readings.
Re: Car Dealers Help Needed Here by bandore(m): 8:20pm On Oct 26, 2009
@poster, 250k is on the high side but does not necessarily means the engine is somewhat bad. they could be motor way miles,, what if it was rolled backed, you would never know. The seller should be trusted herefore. I sell cars but would never tamper with that before I ship it. I had a jag with over 180k miles ,,(not kilometer) and it has full jaguar service history ,drives better than some 70k miles jags, I travel around europe raking in thousands of miles in some weeks,
if the price is right, and you are ready to gamble then go ahead!
goodluck.
Re: Car Dealers Help Needed Here by sultaan(m): 9:53pm On Oct 26, 2009
Pass
Re: Car Dealers Help Needed Here by BizBooks(m): 10:08pm On Oct 26, 2009
250k miles is a bit high. If it were a Honda or Toyota product, I would say go ahead if the price is right. But for a Dodge Caravan, I don't know. Post the VIN, let's see how many previous owners.
Re: Car Dealers Help Needed Here by olasboy: 8:26am On Oct 27, 2009
Thanks good people for your candid opinion

@ Bizbooks here is the VIN:
2B4FP2538TR838207
Re: Car Dealers Help Needed Here by kenkruse: 10:10am On Oct 27, 2009
I told you the experts will do justice to your request, I've garnered some idea that i needed to evaluate my own predicament. smiley

thanks guys,
Re: Car Dealers Help Needed Here by BizBooks(m): 10:19am On Oct 27, 2009
VIN: 2B4FP2538TR838207
Year : 1996
Make : Dodge
Model: Caravan
Style/Body: Wagon 3D
Class: Van - Mini
Engine: 3.0L V6 EFI
Country of Assembly: Canada
Vehicle Age: 13 year(s)
Calculated Owners: N/A
Last Reported
Odometer Reading: N/A

This AutoCheck Score 65

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Caravan (2B4FP2538TR838207)

Event Date Event Location Odometer Reading Data Source Event Detail
11/13/2001 OAKVILLE, ON Motor Vehicle Dept. CANADIAN RENEWAL
05/26/2003 OAKVILLE, ON Motor Vehicle Dept. CANADIAN RENEWAL
06/01/2005 OAKVILLE, ON Motor Vehicle Dept. CANADIAN RENEWAL
06/28/2007 ETOBICOKE, ON Motor Vehicle Dept. CANADIAN RENEWAL
03/28/2008 SCARBOROUGH, ON Motor Vehicle Dept. CANADIAN RENEWAL
06/27/2008 SCARBOROUGH, ON Motor Vehicle Dept. CANADIAN RENEWAL
Re: Car Dealers Help Needed Here by olasboy: 10:54am On Oct 27, 2009
Thanks Bizbooks.

Pls I'm a bit naive on autos. From the above facts, would you still advice I go ahead? Despite the fact that calculated owner and odometer reading are not available.

Is AutoCheck score of 65 good enough? Is it accident free too?

Kindly reply.

Thanks you for good stuff you're doing.

Regards
Re: Car Dealers Help Needed Here by olorogun1: 11:21am On Oct 27, 2009
@poster,think twice b4 you go for that car,i ve got a cousin that bought that carravan of a thing called ''dog'' and its given him a lot of problem.though he got it @ a cheaper rate like what you are offering on this.but i don't pray you should have his kind of experience,expecially with all these thieve without gun called mechanics.anyway you can try out your luck.but look b4 you leap
Re: Car Dealers Help Needed Here by BizBooks(m): 11:24am On Oct 27, 2009
An Autocheck score of 65 is okay. But it is misleading in this case. They did the calculation without knowing the mileage and number of previous owners. Also they have no information on the first five years of the Van's life (1996 - 2000). If they had all these information, the score may be closer to 50 than 65.

As I said before, I'm mainly into Hondas and Toyotas. So I don't know what to tell you on this. Olorogun1 has provided some useful information above.
Re: Car Dealers Help Needed Here by alanbolo(m): 5:14pm On Oct 29, 2009
@ Ola, Olorogun1 and BizBooks have spoken wisely but in parables and I will sound it out loud to you, STAY AWAY FROM THAT DODGE MINI-VAN,  the agaggravationsater on is not worth it.
Re: Car Dealers Help Needed Here by kenkruse: 5:18pm On Oct 29, 2009
good you noticed the hand writing on the wall,
Re: Car Dealers Help Needed Here by olasboy: 6:05pm On Oct 29, 2009
Thank you Guys.

You are too much. I like you to know that none of the posts here was a waste and I took them very seriously.
I HAVE BURSTED THE DEAL. I NO DEY BUY AGAIN!

Special Thanks to Kenkruse, Familier, Alanbolo, Bandore, Bizbooks and Olorogun1 in no particular order.
Thank you.
Re: Car Dealers Help Needed Here by raffite: 3:52pm On Aug 11, 2010
I urgently need a good clean car (any brand) for at most Five hundred and Fifty thousand (N550,000) with factory fitted Air condition. I live in Warri and I need it fast. Contact me on 08035070731.

(1) (Reply)

Toyota Corolla2000 Tokunbo(1.1m) / Clean Lagos Cleared Honda Civic / M/benz Ml 320 2000 Model@ Give Away Price 2.1 Million Naira

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.