Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,801 members, 7,820,805 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:06 PM

Car Parts: Brand New Vs Tokunbo - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Car Parts: Brand New Vs Tokunbo (10951 Views)

7 Most Recycled Car Parts / These Amazing Art Pieces Were Created From Salvaged Vintage Car Parts / US Presidential Armored Beasts: Side-by-side Comparison Between The New Vs Old (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Car Parts: Brand New Vs Tokunbo by bigchica(m): 8:54pm On Oct 27, 2016
BRAND NEW VS FAIRLY USED (TOKUNBO) VEHICLE PARTS.

Car users are always faced with the dilemma of choosing between buying a new or tokunbo car parts. While many believe that new parts are way better, others stick with the fairly used ones. Which is actually better?

When you take your car to the dealership for repair, you know you are getting Original Equipment Manufacturer car part (OEM). However, if you take your car to an independent auto mechanic workshop, you will most likely get an after market car part, which is also brand new.

What is an after market part? An after market part is any part for a vehicle that is not sourced from the car's manufacturer. A number of companies make parts designed to function the same, or in some cases better than the original; well some are not so better.
About 80 percent of new parts flocking the automobile market are after market parts! Ever wonder why some tokunbo parts are actually more expensive than some new parts?

Tokunbo parts are "supposed" to be used OEM car parts. But how do you tell whether or not it is a used OEM or a used after market part? This is when you begin to hear of tokunbo "grade 1". These grade 1 parts are suppose to be fairly used OEM and not used after market parts. Have you ever requested for a tokunbo spare part which looks exactly like the one you want to change in your car, but it does not seems to work with your car even after a technician have confirmed that the tokunbo part is sound? Well what happened was that you got an after market tokunbo part and not a manufacturer's part.
Before getting your tokunbo car parts, make research, note down the part series number, and get the exact replica.

I always advice you go for a brand new Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) car parts, but when you cannot afford it due to cost or availability, do well to settle for an OEM tokunbo grade 1 parts popularly known as "follow come". However if you are familia with after market brands, they would serve also as their advantages abound!

http://www.everydaycarz.com.ng/2016/07/auto-parts-brand-new-vs-fairly-used_24.html?m=1

www.everydaycarz.com.ng

2 Likes

Re: Car Parts: Brand New Vs Tokunbo by Pavore9: 6:37am On Oct 31, 2016
There is much faith in "follow come".

3 Likes

Re: Car Parts: Brand New Vs Tokunbo by nony43(m): 6:38am On Oct 31, 2016
I think Tokunbo is better

1 Like

Re: Car Parts: Brand New Vs Tokunbo by diportivo: 6:39am On Oct 31, 2016
. However if you are familia with after market brands, they would serve also as their advantages abound

grin
Re: Car Parts: Brand New Vs Tokunbo by Qmerit(m): 6:39am On Oct 31, 2016
Tokubo serve longer for me anytime i change part in the car, New parts opt to be the best but imitation/fake won't let you know the good ones.

2 Likes

Re: Car Parts: Brand New Vs Tokunbo by Rekit: 6:42am On Oct 31, 2016
If you are not buying from the manufacturer's car shop, tokumbo is better.
Re: Car Parts: Brand New Vs Tokunbo by francis247(m): 6:44am On Oct 31, 2016
Tear leather any time any day

1 Like

Re: Car Parts: Brand New Vs Tokunbo by Darkseid(m): 6:44am On Oct 31, 2016
I never buy car so make I just park on one side and listen to my elders.
Re: Car Parts: Brand New Vs Tokunbo by paschal47(m): 6:45am On Oct 31, 2016
first of all I don't like anything that is fairly used, I consider them fake because if e no be original e no fit be like original
Re: Car Parts: Brand New Vs Tokunbo by Samanza89: 6:47am On Oct 31, 2016
Tokunbo is advisable because it probably do comes directly from the manufacturer, but brand new can be couple anywhere in any form without meeting the standard of the main manufacturer.

2 Likes

Re: Car Parts: Brand New Vs Tokunbo by imehjunior(m): 6:49am On Oct 31, 2016
Qmerit:
Tokubo serve longer for me anytime i change part in the car, New parts opt to be the best but imitation/fake won't let you know the good ones.
You can't be more correct. I manage a fleet of trucks and I have come to realise that the fake/immitation dominates the market and you have no way of knowing. You only even get guarantees on Tokunbo not new ones .

1 Like

Re: Car Parts: Brand New Vs Tokunbo by Nobody: 6:50am On Oct 31, 2016
But in a country like nigeria, new parts can be very hard to get sometimes and even when you get it, it can also be an imitation...

Market/Product trust issues in nigeria can sometimes be terrible and annoying..
Re: Car Parts: Brand New Vs Tokunbo by Icon4s(m): 6:51am On Oct 31, 2016
The ball joint of my Honda CRV all of a sudden started failing frequently. It even pulled out once on the road.

I replaced abt 3 ball joints, all new, withing a space of abt 4months.

I brought this problem to nairaland car talk section and i was advised to go for a tokumbo.
I did that. 3months down the lane and still counting no sign of weak ball joint.

3 Likes

Re: Car Parts: Brand New Vs Tokunbo by armadeo(m): 6:53am On Oct 31, 2016
Toks everyday.

Those new parts are made in China or Taiwan for a German car.

The Toks are original from the car.

1 Like

Re: Car Parts: Brand New Vs Tokunbo by FTbomb(m): 6:54am On Oct 31, 2016
new parts, if they're truly new, are better. nothing beats 'new' when the cash is available. at least, you have the guarantee of long durability.
some tokunbo parts are overused and have outlived their usefulness but the dealers keep repairing/polishing them to look clean. getting quality tokunbo parts is by chance....they don't come with guarantee..

1 Like

Re: Car Parts: Brand New Vs Tokunbo by eezeribe(m): 6:59am On Oct 31, 2016
Nice

1 Like

Re: Car Parts: Brand New Vs Tokunbo by princemillla(m): 7:07am On Oct 31, 2016
Tokunbo tends to be the best but then there are some manufacturers who sells original parts(new ones) from the company.
Re: Car Parts: Brand New Vs Tokunbo by Fantastic2m(m): 7:10am On Oct 31, 2016
I'd say depend on the part
Re: Car Parts: Brand New Vs Tokunbo by harffie(m): 7:19am On Oct 31, 2016
Tokunbo is better than the new.....the new parts are mass production....how should I explain sef...
Re: Car Parts: Brand New Vs Tokunbo by kolaaderin: 7:28am On Oct 31, 2016
The answer balls down to if u can get the Original manufacturer standard parts... New is better and will always be better than secondhand if and only if u could get the main original, if not Tokunbo helping Nigerian driver since the days of JESUS.... But to be candid most tokunbo has outlived their life span and you dont even know how much its has been used previously.

This is just another sign that Nothing is normal in This Country, we are always on the opposite side of the coins to the rest of the world.

So operator depending on where u live on this planet here is ur table to buying spare parts for ur cars.

Country parts to buy

USA ------- New parts

UK ------------ New Parts

Germany ---------New parts

Switzerland ------- New parts

Canada ----------- New parts

Nigeria ----------- Tokunbo parts

Japan ----------- New parts

Australia ---------- New parts

South Africa -------- New parts

Ghana -------------- Tokunbo Parts ( to be on a safer side the people are learning fast on fake parts from china)

China -------------- New Parts ( fake are made for african largest porous economy market, they dont use them)
Re: Car Parts: Brand New Vs Tokunbo by erico2k2(m): 7:35am On Oct 31, 2016
New Parts are always better . However you need to source for Original part . It does not make any sense buying a used bearing or ball joint or brake pads and spark plugs cos of wear and tear . But if you are buying parts that has no wear and tear in its life circle ie.glass,body panels etc then used parts is great.you are best to source for OEM brand new if you could afford it.This is one of the reasons I laugh hard when someone says Japanese car part are cheap cod Original parts are not cheap .
Re: Car Parts: Brand New Vs Tokunbo by erico2k2(m): 7:37am On Oct 31, 2016
harffie:
Tokunbo is better than the new.....the new parts are mass production....how should I explain sef...
Xtreemly wrong idealogy . Put your money where your mouth is and toy will get original parts. You can order your parts on Amazon . Or Ebay brand new .

(1) (2) (Reply)

DIY: Replacement Of Downstream (bank 1 Sensor 2) O2 Sensor On 03-07 Accord 4cyl / My Terrible Experience With Luvinhubby / Driving Schools In Lagos: Someone Help Me Out Pls

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.