Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,592 members, 7,812,929 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:50 PM

BMWs Can Be Stolen By Hackers With $30 Tool - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / BMWs Can Be Stolen By Hackers With $30 Tool (11237 Views)

Top 10 Best Bmws Of All Time / How And Why That Your Car Will Be Stolen With A Laptop And Tablet / Showcasing Classic Bmws (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

BMWs Can Be Stolen By Hackers With $30 Tool by Slyr0x: 6:32pm On Sep 17, 2012
This is a video of a £43,000 BMW 1M Stolen at 3am in 3 minutes without keys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLHo-GYG25Q

BMWs and other high-end cars are being stolen by unskilled criminals using a $30 tool developed by hackers to hack the onboard security systems. The new tool is capable of reprogramming a blank key, and allows non-techie car thieves to steal a vehicle within two or three minutes or less.

On-board diagnostics (OBD) bypass tools are being shipped from China and Eastern Europe in kit form with instructions and blank keys, says a news report linking the release of the tool to a spike in car thefts in Australia, Europe and elsewhere during 2012. Would-be car thieves need to grab the transmission between a valid key fob and a car before reprogramming a blank key, which can then be used to either open the car or start it, via the OBD system.

"Crooks only need to monitor a person using the key or interrogate the key fob to get enough information to decipher the key," explained Professor David Stupples, of the centre for cyber security sciences, at London's City University.

Weak cryptography combined with a security-through-obscurity approach in the OBD specification allows the tactic to succeed.

Police in the UK have also begun warning about the approach, which was highlighted by a recent BBC Watchdog investigation.

In response, BMW told the BBC that the carjacker/hacker technique was developed after its cars were designed and was limited to "older" BMW models – those built before September 2011.

The German car giant added that the issue was not limited to BMW, and promised to help mitigate the attack, in a statement published last Wednesday.

BMW prides itself on its vehicle security systems and all BMWs meet all UK and global security standards. Our engineers and technicians review all aspects of our vehicles constantly, including security systems.

After extensive research we are clear that none of our latest models - new 1 Series Hatch, 3 Series, 5 Series, 6 Series and 7 Series - nor any other BMW built after September 2011 can be stolen using this method. However, as a responsible manufacturer we are looking at ways of mitigating against this new kind of attack.

A spokesman for the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders, the UK trade association, said it was aware of the issue but wasn't able to say how many other manufacturers were involved. "BMW [is] updating its systems and it could well be that other manufactures will do something similar," he said, adding that although SMMT was working with UK police forces on the issue it didn't have any information to hand on the scale of the problem.

http://packetstormsecurity.org/news/view/21505/BMWs-Can-Be-Stolen-With-30-Worth-Of-Gear.html
Re: BMWs Can Be Stolen By Hackers With $30 Tool by Nobody: 6:52pm On Sep 17, 2012
Not sure how the Crypto codes work in BMW's. But I do know that Audi, Mercedes-Benz, Volkswagen and Porsche use Rolling Codes. Which means the code generated by the key fob is different with each ignition cycle. And the RFID signal to lock and unlock the door is different with each press of the button. Unless BMW is running Static Code (which I find hard to believe) the tools currently available commercially will be useless.

Audi have gone further, in addition to Rolling Codes, with Fingerprint Recognition. The owner's finger, thumb or both are programmed when the car is ordered from new. Without this print, the car ain't starting.

I wonder what year of BMW are being stolen by the codes being read? As far as I'm aware, the code readers pick up RFID signals for locking and unlocking the car, very different to the Crypto Transponder (TX) that the IMMO (RX) reads from the Crypto chip in the base of the key fob.

3 Likes

Re: BMWs Can Be Stolen By Hackers With $30 Tool by Wallie(m): 6:55pm On Sep 17, 2012
Here's the post from the guy that owned the BMW in the

My 6 month old AW 1M was stolen from my drive last night. Despite my best attempts to deter them, with CCTV and a house alarm, they managed to steal it in just under 3 minutes at 2am.

Luckily the CCTV caught them, the Police now have it so fingers crossed.

Just really to let you all know how they did it. BMW have identified a 'black spot' in the car's alarm on the inside of the car. Apparently this is on the passenger side, but on the 1M it appears to be on the driver side.

They smashed a small area of the driver door glass near to the wing mirror, put their hand down to the ECU in the footwell (in the black spot) then plugged in a device that can then 're-program' ANY BMW keyfob with the Radio Frequency of the car they are stealing and make that key the car key.

One of them then got in the car, released the handbrake and three of them pushed it off the drive and down the road where I guess they started it and hopefully wrapped themselves around a tree and slowly killed them in a fireball.

On the plus side I have GAP insurance, and also a set of brand new Michelin Pilot Super Sports for the rear so if anyone wants to brighten my week and buy them off me for what I paid (£600) please PM me.

Hope you all enjoy yours as much as I did mine. 6 months of pure pleasure, I wont be buying another as It will just happen again, so until I have the house in the country with a garage, I wont be buying another!

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=669883
Re: BMWs Can Be Stolen By Hackers With $30 Tool by Lilspicer(f): 6:58pm On Sep 17, 2012
Abeg hw me i go tak steal papa iyabo keke napepe him to dey use am mak noise for ma area

5 Likes

Re: BMWs Can Be Stolen By Hackers With $30 Tool by Wallie(m): 6:59pm On Sep 17, 2012
Siena: Not sure how the Crypto codes work in BMW's. But I do know that Audi, Mercedes-Benz, Volkswagen and Porsche use Rolling Codes. Which means the code generated by the key fob is different with each ignition cycle. And the RFID signal to lock and unlock the door is different with each press of the button. Unless BMW is running Static Code (which I find hard to believe) the tools currently available commercially will be useless.

Audi have gone further, in addition to Rolling Codes, with Fingerprint Recognition. The owner's finger, thumb or both are programmed when the car is ordered from new. Without this print, the car ain't starting.

I wonder what year of BMW are being stolen by the codes being read? As far as I'm aware, the code readers pick up RFID signals for locking and unlocking the car, very different to the Crypto Transponder (TX) that the IMMO (RX) reads from the Crypto chip in the base of the key fob.

Rolling codes are used between the remote key and the ECU, I think. This guys actually broke the OBDII code (or base code) and actually use the OBDII port itself to reprogram a blank key. As you can see in the video, they needed to get physical access into the car by breaking the window before being able to drive off with the car.

1 Like

Re: BMWs Can Be Stolen By Hackers With $30 Tool by DonaldGenes(m): 7:06pm On Sep 17, 2012
No comment yet till am done muchinq fufu

3 Likes

Re: BMWs Can Be Stolen By Hackers With $30 Tool by Denn(m): 7:06pm On Sep 17, 2012
i think the codes for BMW are not static. motion sensors are in BMWs (even as late as 2000 models) and am surprised why an area as key as the OBD port is not covered by this sensor beam (as per the black spot post).

i have always had a pride that my BMW cant be stolen except you snatch my key but am beginning to have doubts.
Re: BMWs Can Be Stolen By Hackers With $30 Tool by redcliff: 7:09pm On Sep 17, 2012
Omo this thread na fi le fun for siena and co. Our clearance no reach here.lol

5 Likes

Re: BMWs Can Be Stolen By Hackers With $30 Tool by Wilsoncaleb(m): 7:10pm On Sep 17, 2012
Pls are you trying to turn us all to thieves.pls am not down with this
Re: BMWs Can Be Stolen By Hackers With $30 Tool by Wallie(m): 7:13pm On Sep 17, 2012
From the link above:

...The device mentioned earlier in this thread doesn't code the key to the car, it codes the car to the key - it adds the key to the CAS as an accepted key which then opens and starts the car as normal. You can code one key to multiple cars in this manner. The key is in effect "solid state" and can't be re-coded or given a new identity, and doesn't need to be.
It is almost exclusively M-sport trim vehicles being taken. Diesels are very commonly stolen, along with all points of the model ranges. Premium specs are seemingly targeted like 335i's, 335d's but again without knowing the relative sales numbers its hard to know what's significant. 120d's, 5 series of all engine variants are going just as regularly so it's by no means only big engined or the most powerful cars being sought by thieves (but nice trim and spec ones and left hand drives do certainly seem to be more nickable)
Vehicles 2006 to present are affected, so long as it's an 'electronic' key without a physical ignition barrel. 2006-2009 seem worst hit. Again one assumes becuase it's parts demand driving theft and there's less parts demand for brand new cars.

Sorry, [b]I nearly forgot the important bit, which is of course the Crime Prevention advice:

1) Park somewhere overlooked and garage the car if you can.
2) Disable the OBD port in some cunning way.
3) Use additional physical security such as a steering wheel lock.
4) Consider additional and aftermarket immobilisers/trackers. Something perhaps that cuts fuel and is independant of the keyed ignition. Sadly I think this kind of security may become an necessity from an insurance point of view as time wears on.[/b]

1 Like

Re: BMWs Can Be Stolen By Hackers With $30 Tool by Manchikoabu: 7:14pm On Sep 17, 2012
Technology tools dey dis world wey person never hear before.
Re: BMWs Can Be Stolen By Hackers With $30 Tool by Intrepid1(m): 7:19pm On Sep 17, 2012
Lilspicer: Abeg hw me i go tak steal papa iyabo keke napepe him to dey use am mak noise for ma area

Bros, u b big fool! grin
Lilspicer: Abeg hw me i go tak steal papa iyabo keke napepe him to dey use am mak noise for ma area

Bros, u b big fool!
Re: BMWs Can Be Stolen By Hackers With $30 Tool by gsmcoder: 7:19pm On Sep 17, 2012
hahaha when I tell kid programmers that cryptography is not an infinitesimal the doubt.
This 100% possible. I reversed a neighbour's cpa keys after tapping from trabsmitted signal
and enjoyed what he enjoyed.

Good job hackers. grin grin grin
Re: BMWs Can Be Stolen By Hackers With $30 Tool by Intrepid1(m): 7:45pm On Sep 17, 2012
Re: BMWs Can Be Stolen By Hackers With $30 Tool by mrkels(m): 8:05pm On Sep 17, 2012
[size=15pt]After stealing they would import to nigeria and other african countries, then our politicians wud be posing forming big boys here with stolen money and stolen cars[/size] grin
Re: BMWs Can Be Stolen By Hackers With $30 Tool by Josh316(m): 8:13pm On Sep 17, 2012
Abeg, what about Hondas and Toyotas from 2003 and above? I thought they too use sensor keys? i hope it doesnt become possible here, else, na die o! undecided
Re: BMWs Can Be Stolen By Hackers With $30 Tool by Nobody: 8:18pm On Sep 17, 2012
Josh316: Abeg, what about Hondas and Toyotas from 2003 and above? I thought they too use sensor keys? i hope it doesnt become possible here, else, na die o! undecided

Doesn't really matter in Nigeria - if armed robbers want your car, you just get stopped, flung out of your car, they get in and zoom off! grin

3 Likes

Re: BMWs Can Be Stolen By Hackers With $30 Tool by vislabraye(m): 8:19pm On Sep 17, 2012
Hackers again!!! When we go cashless I fear. Money go dey disappear from account.
If such cars are stolen, the companies should be able to locate and disarm them.

1 Like

Re: BMWs Can Be Stolen By Hackers With $30 Tool by erico2k2(m): 8:19pm On Sep 17, 2012
Siena: Not sure how the Crypto codes work in BMW's. But I do know that Audi, Mercedes-Benz, Volkswagen and Porsche use Rolling Codes. Which means the code generated by the key fob is different with each ignition cycle. And the RFID signal to lock and unlock the door is different with each press of the button. Unless BMW is running Static Code (which I find hard to believe) the tools currently available commercially will be useless.

These guys can decode any car, they are targetting xpenssive BMWs at the moment
Re: BMWs Can Be Stolen By Hackers With $30 Tool by erico2k2(m): 8:22pm On Sep 17, 2012
Denn: i think the codes for BMW are not static. motion sensors are in BMWs (even as late as 2000 models) and am surprised why an area as key as the OBD port is not covered by this sensor beam (as per the black spot post).

i have always had a pride that my BMW cant be stolen except you snatch my key but am beginning to have doubts.

All cars can be stolen bro, its not the cars just the computer get hacked, the have a reprogram tool
Re: BMWs Can Be Stolen By Hackers With $30 Tool by Nightshift(m): 8:30pm On Sep 17, 2012
I trust BMW engineers , they will soon find a solution to the affected models. Their respective owners will be directed to bring their cars to BMW workshops for pimping . A Münchner is always special - Freude am fahren !
Re: BMWs Can Be Stolen By Hackers With $30 Tool by Denn(m): 9:01pm On Sep 17, 2012
erico2k2:
All cars can be stolen bro, its not the cars just the computer get hacked, the have a reprogram tool

Not all cars can be stolen the same way. A 2000 toyota camry just needs a simple metal key cut. A BMW of the same year will require more than that ceteris paribus.
Re: BMWs Can Be Stolen By Hackers With $30 Tool by Scarpon(m): 10:05pm On Sep 17, 2012
omo see thief on a high level now na cpu them dey use thief no more gun wan day na to dey hack bank account na hin remain ni
Re: BMWs Can Be Stolen By Hackers With $30 Tool by hardbody: 10:27pm On Sep 17, 2012

Can u break this down?
Re: BMWs Can Be Stolen By Hackers With $30 Tool by vislabraye(m): 11:07pm On Sep 17, 2012
Everyone is quiet. They've ran from this thread because there's no Tonto or Toolz. Lol. Where's Afam and co.?
Re: BMWs Can Be Stolen By Hackers With $30 Tool by zumbigbo(m): 11:40pm On Sep 17, 2012
See BIG Bros struggle to enta car @ 1:48! smiley
Re: BMWs Can Be Stolen By Hackers With $30 Tool by ZIMDRILL(m): 12:08am On Sep 18, 2012
Slyr0x: This is a video of a £43,000 BMW 1M Stolen at 3am in 3 minutes without keys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLHo-GYG25Q

BMWs and other high-end cars are being stolen by unskilled criminals using a $30 tool developed by hackers to hack the onboard security systems. The new tool is capable of reprogramming a blank key, and allows non-techie car thieves to steal a vehicle within two or three minutes or less.

On-board diagnostics (OBD) bypass tools are being shipped from China and Eastern Europe in kit form with instructions and blank keys, says a news report linking the release of the tool to a spike in car thefts in Australia, Europe and elsewhere during 2012. Would-be car thieves need to grab the transmission between a valid key fob and a car before reprogramming a blank key, which can then be used to either open the car or start it, via the OBD system.

"Crooks only need to monitor a person using the key or interrogate the key fob to get enough information to decipher the key," explained Professor David Stupples, of the centre for cyber security sciences, at London's City University.

Weak cryptography combined with a security-through-obscurity approach in the OBD specification allows the tactic to succeed.

Police in the UK have also begun warning about the approach, which was highlighted by a recent BBC Watchdog investigation.

In response, BMW told the BBC that the carjacker/hacker technique was developed after its cars were designed and was limited to "older" BMW models – those built before September 2011.

The German car giant added that the issue was not limited to BMW, and promised to help mitigate the attack, in a statement published last Wednesday.

BMW prides itself on its vehicle security systems and all BMWs meet all UK and global security standards. Our engineers and technicians review all aspects of our vehicles constantly, including security systems.

After extensive research we are clear that none of our latest models - new 1 Series Hatch, 3 Series, 5 Series, 6 Series and 7 Series - nor any other BMW built after September 2011 can be stolen using this method. However, as a responsible manufacturer we are looking at ways of mitigating against this new kind of attack.

A spokesman for the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders, the UK trade association, said it was aware of the issue but wasn't able to say how many other manufacturers were involved. "BMW [is] updating its systems and it could well be that other manufactures will do something similar," he said, adding that although SMMT was working with UK police forces on the issue it didn't have any information to hand on the scale of the problem.

http://packetstormsecurity.org/news/view/21505/BMWs-Can-Be-Stolen-With-30-Worth-Of-Gear.html

there is no hacker there simple procedure

with tools like this one

http://www.diagnostics4u.com/prod/65/ad90-key-programmer
NB for link to open the full picture fot the product just select UK as your location
and remember the car'S VIN is there it makes it even simple
Re: BMWs Can Be Stolen By Hackers With $30 Tool by Nobody: 6:59am On Sep 18, 2012
::gsmcoder:::
hahaha when I tell kid programmers that cryptography is not an infinitesimal the doubt.
This 100% possible. I reversed a neighbour's cpa keys after tapping from trabsmitted signal
and enjoyed what he enjoyed.

Good job hackers. grin grin grin
yes oh which confirms my thinking "what is made by man, by man it can be unmade this car is an example; but what is made by God, like DNA, nada man fit phantom"

1 Like

Re: BMWs Can Be Stolen By Hackers With $30 Tool by pappilo(m): 8:11am On Sep 18, 2012
erico2k2:
These guys can decode any car, they are targetting xpenssive BMWs at the moment

That is not true. This flaw affects only BMWs most especially the E series between '05 and '11. On forums I visit, there has been two claims of an F series car been stolen and it was by tge same person who claimed his 7 series was stolen and the replacement 7 series was stolen 2 weeks later.

The cars have been going missing since last year but BMW and other car forums started pickibg up on this in Feburary. I have followed a thread on Pistonheads since April and on that thread alone, up to 20 cars have been stolen. Sheyi Adebayor also had his week old X6 stolen in the summer . The BBC did a report on this problem on Watchdog last week.

BMW have denied that their cars have flaws that make their cars easy to steal and claim that other marques are being stolen as well but how the hell do you explain 300 BMW cars being reported stolen by the Midland Constabulary between January and June 2012 compared to the just 34 BMW cars reported stolen by the same constabulary between the same period last year?

The main flaws are the dead spot in the alarm sensor which means you can carefully break the glass and slide your hand down tge drivers footwell and access the OBD port. The second flaw is the open state of the OBDII. Although EU regulations mean car manufacturers have to make the OBD ports in their cars accessible to independentvworkshops, nowhere do the EU say manufacturers should allow blank keys to be programable by connecting an £80 piece of hardware to the OBD port. Mercedes allow access to their ports too that is why anyone can buy a STAR machine, plug in and do diagnostics but it is secure. You cant programm a blank key to work through the OBD port on a Mercedes.

BMW have buried their head in the sand claiming their cars are Thatcham approved but it seems the recent Watchdog episode has made them remove their finger. They are now claiming a software update will be available in about 8 weeks. I am sure this is no consolation for BMW owners whose cars are liable to be stolen between before then.
Re: BMWs Can Be Stolen By Hackers With $30 Tool by yungboss(m): 10:34am On Sep 18, 2012
really dissapointed in this...smh.
Re: BMWs Can Be Stolen By Hackers With $30 Tool by emekson(m): 12:15pm On Sep 18, 2012
embarassed :Phow did this content made frontpage
i still believe dis will nt change d cost of a particular white substance in da market
Re: BMWs Can Be Stolen By Hackers With $30 Tool by Dopefiend(m): 3:29pm On Sep 18, 2012
*sippin G4 wit cold water nearby

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nairaland Audi Users, Make Una Help Me Oh! / Thousands Of Damaged Cars Are Headed For Nigeria. / What Are The Dangers Involved In Doubling Head Gaskets

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.