Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,701 members, 7,813,306 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:37 AM

The Real Truth On Doing SEO For Client - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / The Real Truth On Doing SEO For Client (398 Views)

Anyone With Links To Download Good Tutorials On SEO For Digital Marketing. / SEO For Begininers- How To Rank In Google / SEO For Bloggers: How To Nail The Optimization Process For Your Posts - Climax (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Real Truth On Doing SEO For Client by akinjuly77(m): 3:17am On Oct 28, 2016
Hello, Am [url=alamu-akinyemi.climaxbox.com]Akinyemi[/url] of Climaxbox Digital Marketing Agency .

I will like to share you what Craig Campbel as to say about Doing SEO for Clients . I Read it in his Blog .

Clients often employ SEO agencies or Freelance SEO experts to do SEO for them which is always good for people who provide SEO services but what are they actually getting for that money. The real truth about doing SEO’s for clients is that it can be a bit of a nightmare.

I do have a handful of clients I do SEO for and will always be happy to do SEO for these guys because I’m simply allowed to get on with the job, but from time to time I do get some clients come to me asking about SEO and they get confused as to why I decline to do the work.

Sure offering anyone money to provide a service they offer seems like a done deal? It is not really like that in the world of SEO, there are many problems that can happen when taking on a new SEO client. I’m listing a few of them below so that people can understand it from the SEO’s point of view. As doing SEO for a high number of clients is impossible unless you have the right set-up and structure in place.

Expectation of Success

When working with a new client who has next to no idea what’s involved in internet marketing you can be sure that the expectation level in almost every case is going to be highly unrealistic. What happens is the client comes on board and gives you exactly what they want to rank for. After 2 or 3 months if they are not ranking position 1 on page 1 for every single one of them, the moaning starts.
Part of the original proposal is that there is NOT a focus on one particular keyword, the job is to get more traffic to clients websites via a number of different keywords, and at times a number of different sources too, whether that be social media, AdWords and SEO.

Clients want Reports, Communication & Changes all the time

When pricing an SEO package it is very hard, I need to take into consideration how much time and effort is going to have to be put into rank well in the niche I’m quoting on. Now there are tools available to do competitor analysis, keyword research and all of that type of thing which means that this can be done quickly.
An SEO will use such tools to save time and automate some of the research that goes in by choosing to use whatever tools they want to use.

What I can’t quote accurately for is the amount of time that goes into working out how different clients want to know different things, they want to dig deep into what’s involved in SEO and some of them even ask for weekly updates ( that isn’t a joke ). Now clients do deserve a report monthly or quarterly whichever you agree too, but do you need weekly communication, do you need the interruptions when the phone goes for the client to ask the most bizarre question going? Can’t the client understand that the SEO guy might not want to answer the phone whilst he is in the middle of doing some work.

I do SEO for myself alongside doing work for clients, the great thing is when I rank my own sites, I don’t get the calls, emails or have to do any reporting, which allows me more time to crack on and do some valuable work on my websites.

I suspect that around 40% of most clients budgets can be spent on things that offer no value to the client. By that I mean there is so much time being spent reporting, answering questions and doing general admin duties which as a result take up a whole lot of time that isn’t actually being spent marketing the clients business a lot of it is pure admin and appearance work.

Even Big Companies Make Mistakes

I’m asked regularly to do website audits or consultancy work on websites that are in a lot of cases not ranking as well as they should be. Some of these companies turn over millions of pounds but end up running into problems because of things like :

- The bosses nephew or some bloke down the pub was building the links
- The company employed someone who read an SEO book for a couple of hours and took 3k a month of them for doing nothing at all Or the company wanted so much reporting done the SEO guy had no time left in the day to do any work
- There is a massive need for good honest SEO people who are able to provide a good job, so you need to be careful when doing work for clients as it is very easy to get bogged down with certain clients.

Here is my own Story about Clients in SEO

The fault is sometimes with some SEO Folks , who tell clients they can give them Instant results . In a Competitive Search auction some SEO folks will still say the client site will Rank in 3 weeks ! That is so pathetic ! Are they Google ?

When this kind of expectations are created the Good SEO guys become doubted , clients no longer want to trust them . I remember working with my First Client a Data Recovery Company in my geographical Location Nigeria .

I offered them this SEO Service and then the company boss said they got a mail from some Indian's that there websites can get ranked on First page in 3 months . Well the question i asked is How can they be so sure the site will rank on First page in 3 months time ? Are they Google ? Do they want to use Black hat techniques? I simply told them the hazards of using Blackhats and that patience is the most significant aspect of SEO ,i had to risk assuring them they will Rank on First page before 8 months .

Well i did the Good Job on the site ! In Six months time there site was on Position 8 on First page for Several Long tail Keywords for "Data Recovery" then the boss again came to Challenge me that , Hey Akinyemi my site is still on number 8 Position ,why is it not on Position number 1-3 .

I smiled and assured him that very soon they will be ranked 1-3 but also made him to understand that am not Google , but i did what was proper to enable the Site to Rank and hit #1.

Here we go there site Appears 1-3 for Most of there keywords like : "Data Recovery Company in Nigeria" "Data Recovery training in Nigeria"and more than 50 Ranked Keywords. There sales have increased drastically and they are happy with my SEO Service .

SEO can be Very Costly

This is what some Companies looking for Good SEO Expert do not Understand , Experts who are actually very good will collect high fees from you . No Cheap SEO ! Especially if you want your SEO Expert to devote more time on your Website . In SEO of 2016 SEO Folks have to Learn most used Programming Code and CMS in order to optimize websites , it as become a necessesity then How can SEO Service be Cheap ?

Even the basic Audit part of it can't be Cheap ! SEO is a marathon and not a Sprint .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Real Truth On Doing SEO For Client by Nobody: 8:25am On Oct 28, 2016
akinjuly77:
Hello, Am [url=alamu-akinyemi.climaxbox.com]Akinyemi[/url] of Climaxbox Digital Marketing Agency .

I will like to share you what Craig Campbel as to say about Doing SEO for Clients . I Read it in his Blog .

Clients often employ SEO agencies or Freelance SEO experts to do SEO for them which is always good for people who provide SEO services but what are they actually getting for that money. The real truth about doing SEO’s for clients is that it can be a bit of a nightmare.

I do have a handful of clients I do SEO for and will always be happy to do SEO for these guys because I’m simply allowed to get on with the job, but from time to time I do get some clients come to me asking about SEO and they get confused as to why I decline to do the work.

Sure offering anyone money to provide a service they offer seems like a done deal? It is not really like that in the world of SEO, there are many problems that can happen when taking on a new SEO client. I’m listing a few of them below so that people can understand it from the SEO’s point of view. As doing SEO for a high number of clients is impossible unless you have the right set-up and structure in place.

Expectation of Success

When working with a new client who has next to no idea what’s involved in internet marketing you can be sure that the expectation level in almost every case is going to be highly unrealistic. What happens is the client comes on board and gives you exactly what they want to rank for. After 2 or 3 months if they are not ranking position 1 on page 1 for every single one of them, the moaning starts.
Part of the original proposal is that there is NOT a focus on one particular keyword, the job is to get more traffic to clients websites via a number of different keywords, and at times a number of different sources too, whether that be social media, AdWords and SEO.

Clients want Reports, Communication & Changes all the time

When pricing an SEO package it is very hard, I need to take into consideration how much time and effort is going to have to be put into rank well in the niche I’m quoting on. Now there are tools available to do competitor analysis, keyword research and all of that type of thing which means that this can be done quickly.
An SEO will use such tools to save time and automate some of the research that goes in by choosing to use whatever tools they want to use.

What I can’t quote accurately for is the amount of time that goes into working out how different clients want to know different things, they want to dig deep into what’s involved in SEO and some of them even ask for weekly updates ( that isn’t a joke ). Now clients do deserve a report monthly or quarterly whichever you agree too, but do you need weekly communication, do you need the interruptions when the phone goes for the client to ask the most bizarre question going? Can’t the client understand that the SEO guy might not want to answer the phone whilst he is in the middle of doing some work.

I do SEO for myself alongside doing work for clients, the great thing is when I rank my own sites, I don’t get the calls, emails or have to do any reporting, which allows me more time to crack on and do some valuable work on my websites.

I suspect that around 40% of most clients budgets can be spent on things that offer no value to the client. By that I mean there is so much time being spent reporting, answering questions and doing general admin duties which as a result take up a whole lot of time that isn’t actually being spent marketing the clients business a lot of it is pure admin and appearance work.

Even Big Companies Make Mistakes

I’m asked regularly to do website audits or consultancy work on websites that are in a lot of cases not ranking as well as they should be. Some of these companies turn over millions of pounds but end up running into problems because of things like :

- The bosses nephew or some bloke down the pub was building the links
- The company employed someone who read an SEO book for a couple of hours and took 3k a month of them for doing nothing at all Or the company wanted so much reporting done the SEO guy had no time left in the day to do any work
- There is a massive need for good honest SEO people who are able to provide a good job, so you need to be careful when doing work for clients as it is very easy to get bogged down with certain clients.

Here is my own Story about Clients in SEO

The fault is sometimes with some SEO Folks , who tell clients they can give them Instant results . In a Competitive Search auction some SEO folks will still say the client site will Rank in 3 weeks ! That is so pathetic ! Are they Google ?

When this kind of expectations are created the Good SEO guys become doubted , clients no longer want to trust them . I remember working with my First Client a Data Recovery Company in my geographical Location Nigeria .

I offered them this SEO Service and then the company boss said they got a mail from some Indian's that there websites can get ranked on First page in 3 months . Well the question i asked is How can they be so sure the site will rank on First page in 3 months time ? Are they Google ? Do they want to use Black hat techniques? I simply told them the hazards of using Blackhats and that patience is the most significant aspect of SEO ,i had to risk assuring them they will Rank on First page before 8 months .

Well i did the Good Job on the site ! In Six months time there site was on Position 8 on First page for Several Long tail Keywords for "Data Recovery" then the boss again came to Challenge me that , Hey Akinyemi my site is still on number 8 Position ,why is it not on Position number 1-3 .

I smiled and assured him that very soon they will be ranked 1-3 but also made him to understand that am not Google , but i did what was proper to enable the Site to Rank and hit #1.

Here we go there site Appears 1-3 for Most of there keywords like : "Data Recovery Company in Nigeria" "Data Recovery training in Nigeria"and more than 50 Ranked Keywords. There sales have increased drastically and they are happy with my SEO Service .

SEO can be Very Costly

This is what some Companies looking for Good SEO Expert do not Understand , Experts who are actually very good will collect high fees from you . No Cheap SEO ! Especially if you want your SEO Expert to devote more time on your Website . In SEO of 2016 SEO Folks have to Learn most used Programming Code and CMS in order to optimize websites , it as become a necessesity then How can SEO Service be Cheap ?

Even the basic Audit part of it can't be Cheap ! SEO is a marathon and not a Sprint .
I am not understanding

(1) (Reply)

Great Website Makes A Great YOU / BENEFITS You Also Get FREEEEEE! / Tbc Coins For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.