Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,594 members, 7,812,943 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:11 PM

Maso's Week ;) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Maso's Week ;) (483 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Maso's Week ;) by Elizay(f): 8:08am On Oct 28, 2016

She quietly followed the vintage dressed middle aged woman who ushered her through the congregation, after the liturgy, to the pew overlooking the chancel, few feet below the gallery where the Camera crew and the Choir was seated. Glad she had chosen a monochrome outfit with a matching hat, gorgeously accessorized with the glitz clutch purse. She had alighted from the cab to a sea of cars parked in the beautiful medieval Cathedral of St Paul, sighed “darn, I'm so late.” She looked at the Vegans Silver studded watch on her wrist. It was barely 8:30 am and wondered how the lots could be these filled. Technically she was not late, even if, Churches don't sanction late comers.
She learnt from childhood to be time conscious. She neither arrives too early nor too late to an occasion, worst off, 30 minutes after commencement of such event or gatherings with friends. Here she was at 8:25 am, not to School or to a function, but to Church and the parks are at full capacity. She concluded she must have missed last week's announcement.

She had woken at 7:15 am after what she called ‘wonderful night out with Delana’ whom she met 24 hours earlier. His aptness of generosity had saved her some embarrassment when She rushed to the mart to buy some groceries and sanitary. The queue at the till had grown exponentially behind her while trying to pay; after the first swiping of her card and the transaction was declined.
“Would you let her step aside; some of us don't have the whole day.” A lady grumbled behind her.
She ignored her derogatory comment knowing she would have slighted more especially if the situation was reversed. The attendant persisted and tried the second time. Ideally she would have opted for cash payment by now however not today. She was certain Alhaji Marwa transferred a Hundred Thousand Naira to the Diamond Account. She silently replayed in her head- how she received the alert sometimes in the night. She checked the card again to be sure she took the right one.
“Of course, I picked the right Card, more so he never pays into any other.” She mumbled while the attendant tried one more time. She checked her pocket for any stray cash: she picked this Card because of the bulk paid into it. The second card has roughly Fifteen Thousand Naira meanwhile she won’t exceed Ten thousand however she liked the feeling she get when there’s enough cash on her. She couldn't call Nana to bring some cash from her wallet either. After the raucous frenzy with one of the porters which led to her hotplate being impounded for cooking in the room against the general Kitchen rule; she ponytailed her hair and rushed out for some alternative necessities. The attendant has tended to her often and, she had tipped her once or twice. “This is really embarrassing!” She picked up her card and resolved to using an ATM machine outside, then return for her groceries. The attendant was informing her she should return within thirty minutes else the items would be returned to the shelf. She knew she shouldn't take that long and was collecting her card when she heard the unanticipated interloper....
“You can charge them to this account. Your financial institution isn't available.” She looked behind her to catch, for the first time a glimpse of the intruder. Strange cute dark guy though... “I have been to that ATM myself, their service isn't available.” She was obviously flustered. She watched silently as the transaction was checked in; stepped aside to thank him while the lady between them rounded up at the till.

She remorsefully allowed him to drop her off at the hostel though it negates her principle of 'One at a time.'
Subsequently he invited her to a friend's get-together in the evening which she casually rejected. “Sorry to decline I have lots of activities lined up for today.” She had commitment with Bola. It started about this time last week. They met at the Cinema and connected, couldn't stopping calling and texting... and the high point of their adventure was today and she had been looking forward to it and nothing could stand in her way. “Thank you though.” She said. Hugged, and alighted from the blue small Kia Dexteria.
“Please call me, should you change your mind.”
“Never.” She murmured. “Wait your time dude, you’d find your ‘happy hour’.” She giggled as she dashed into the Hall.

“Your phone has being ringing like crazy. B2 has been calling all morning.” Nana said as she entered.
“That is Bola, he is probably anxious about today. You won't believe what just happened? I....” She said as she hurled the groceries across the room and snapped up her phone to see 16 missed calls. “Wow, what happen! 16 in 47 minutes, you are so right; this guy is really struck. Gee!”
“Hate to be right, all the time… would you call him back?”
“Yeah! Whatever…. of course but... as I was saying I me....” Her loud ringtone cut them short.
“Be Below, how far? Just saw your calls, went to- Repeat what you just said, please. What sort of thing is that? No… Don't tell me that. I cleared my schedule for you. Could be home now, doing something meaningful instead of hanging around, waiting for you to come. More so, this whole arrangement was your Idea. Pff!” Pause. “I have been looking forward to this evening. you know now, I really... What could be more important for Christ sake, you planned this evening yourself! We would be at the beach then retire to the heights. What could be more important Ugh!? Why? What will I be doing at the damn hotel by myself? Bleep off please... yeah, right!” She hung up and shied the phone on the bed missing the wall. “Can you imagine the idiot? Ugh... The annoying part is that he doesn't have a candid reason for canceling except to meet some clients, really! Shouldn't our arrangement count as a meeting, so they find another day?” Her roommate thought otherwise though.
“Sorry dear, you would figure something out.” Pause “Or, you could come with us. Moyo, Tiloluwa and I would be going to the Screening at the African Shrine; remember it is October 1st and most people will be out there celebrating the Independence.”

She slouched on the bed, aberrated and staring at the ceiling, she looked towards the wardrobe, at the hung shredded jean and sexy studded cage top she had ordered from Coliseum. “Pff! don’t let me mess up your plan, I will find something to do. Worse off, I will tune in to Channels and listen to some idiots discuss the economy over and over, then do nothing to either stop the squanderers or a participatory resolve to end it.”

“You dropped this.” Nana tossed the grocery bag at her
“Of course.” She gave some of the chocolates to her. “Ahem! I was glad I didn't do any long-throat-confident-eating-before-paying today. You saw how pissed I was after that petty porter incident- So I went to Yem Yem to vent on shopping. All I took was a debit card with no cash. I picked a few items and when it was time to pay with my card, the stupid financial institution wasn't available. Eh!”
“What? But... is it the Diamond account?” She nodded in affirmative. “Didn't you get their Message? They sent a Notice for a 24 hour System upgrade.”
“What crazy upgrade is that? By the way, who checks Bank SMS? Guess you do, well I don't. I just delete as they come in. I see it as extortion gimmick and since the amount is insignificant I just let it sly. Yuck, see embarrassment! so much, the lady behind me, god knows from what shack she scrammed from, was ready to seize the opportunity; If not for the fine dude who probably has been watching me ‘squalor and pinch’ my pocket for the cash that wasn't there. Well, he sorted the bill and saved me from the nosy gossip, ready to cast whatever on me. He even gave me his card and invited me for some get-together this evening: a kind of farewell party for his colleague which I refused. The poor guy persisted but I bluntly refused because of this foolhardy.”

“You know, you could actually ring him up, to let him know your plans changed.” Nana suggested.
“Yikes! After my entire refusal…' Huh? The guy is not even my type.'
“Hello... who said anything about him being your type or not? Does he have to be your type for you to ‘just go out’ with him?” Nana glared
“Who would have thought I would have to beg Delana to candy me for the day?”
“Would you call the guy to let him know you are available or would you keep talking silly?” Nana scolded
“What choice do I have now? Rather a guest at the party than alone in this room.” She retrieved the card from the grocery bag. Nana moved closer.
Having heard her repudiate her unavailability, he negotiated an earlier appointment since she is available all day. Nana spurred her acceptance.
They decided her initial outfit may still work unless proven otherwise, and then she could stop over for a change before the main event.

It ended up being a squad outing. He arrived at 11:00 am, met Nana who bade them goodbye as he was arriving. She excused herself while he waited in the car. He sighted her returning in the rear view mirror wearing the same outfit he saw her in ten minutes earlier however with a blue Chanel studded leather crossover bag and a matching pair of Knee length sandal. He stepped out to open the door, she chuckled a “Thanks.”
He asked to use an ATM. She was quick to ask if it was a Diamond account which he replied
“No, it is a different account, I later saw the SMS they sent for an upgrade after you left.” He drove to the nearest ATM.

After the withdrawal, he walked back to the car met her playing with her phone. As he was about to pull out, he caught a glimpse of... “Isn't that your friend on the queue at the other side of the road?”
“Yes, she is going for an event at Ikeja.” She adjusted the belt to peer. “They are probably waiting for the bus.”
“Okay. We can give them a ride, can't we?” Before she could- he meandered to that side of the road, slowing down beside them. Nana saw him and excused herself from the queue.
“Hey! Shouldn't you guys be going that way?”
“Well, we came to use the ATM and saw you on the queue.” He replied
“We are waiting to get the ticket, the bus is over there.” She pointed. “Alright, you guys should run along.” She hurried.
“On a Second thought…” He turned to her. You know… an idea occur to me now. Won't it be more fun if we invite your friend?”
“Nah! She has her own thing. More so, she is with some friends.”
“Okay... that was well taken.” He slowly turned to Nana.
“Huh, really, if it's not a bother to either of you; would totally stay out of your hair, provided they, (She pointed) tag along.”
“What, with Tiloluwa? See, I told you she has a gang with her.”
“I have told you she is not a bad person if you give her a chance, moreover you will hardly notice we were there. Please...”
“Fine, since he finds the crowd a merry, why not a crusade!”
“It is only a suggestion; if you are not cool with it, we can just drop them off, and be on our way.”
“Of course, with Nana looking ghostly; if I said NO she'd faint.”
“No, I won't... anyways... Yay!!!" Nana cheered. She signaled hurriedly at her friends who joined her in the car without much ado.

He drove them to Lekki Miami. The girls were thrilled. True to their words, they neither bothered nor intruded in their conversation; to the extent that their quietness became so loud. “You guys really need to stop wandering off under the pretext of giving us privacy, except, you are bored.” So, they quit strolling; played 'Hangman, Bull and Cow.' Built giant sand castle and named it "October's five." They had so much fun, enjoyed the ambience, food and music. Hashtag Independence went crazy on Instagram and Twitter with their pictures and updates.
They returned to the hostel at 5:00 pm.

She had so much to reminisce about last night. His gentleness on her skin. The studded clutch purse he presented to her when he picked her up at 7:00 pm. She wrestled with the urge to refuse however the beauty allured her to accept.
She valued more the blessings in yesterday's disappointment. Amassed strength, and poise for today's challenge.
The usher had emerged from nowhere before she decided whether to return to the hostel or dash for the rest room which is closer till the Psalm was being chanted when she could sneak in to the nearest seat.
She settled in her seat, collected the Service victuals and joined the congregation in singing Handel.

[size=8pt][/size]
[color=#000099][/color][img][/img]

Re: Maso's Week ;) by sirblero(m): 11:13am On Oct 28, 2016
Nice Story.... Following... *more Ideas To Your Story... Keep It Coming!

(1) (Reply)

Missing Girls / She's A Murderer!!!! / FICTION: Lily Hooks Up With An Old Friend

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.