Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,630 members, 7,816,597 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:42 PM

Is Intelligence Inherited In A Family? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is Intelligence Inherited In A Family? (25848 Views)

7 Look-alike Sisters In A Family Photo In Rwanda / What TV Channel Do You Watch Together As A Family? / Comparison In A Family. How Healthy Is It? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Intelligence Inherited In A Family? by baby124: 5:03pm On Oct 31, 2016
Rapmoney:
That's the nature-nurture controversy in Psychology! cheesy Though, I believe traits like criminal tendencies and the likes are leaning more towards nurture i.e the environment.
Criminal tendency like any Character trait exists genetically and is passed on. Trust me I have been able to observe behaviors of grandkids in my family and they each behave quite similarly to how their older relatives were at childhood. If those traits can be passed on, I don't think criminal tendency is impossible. For example I have a niece that behaves exactly like me. We do not live in the same house or the same country.lmao.

1 Like

Re: Is Intelligence Inherited In A Family? by sisisioge: 7:45am On Nov 01, 2016
Dear OP, intelligence is not necessarily inherited but mostly developed, in my opinion.

Although it's a good start to have intelligence in the family, a child's brain learn intelligence. I once watched a documentary where different mothers were made to go through different things while pregnant and they got different results. Families used were judged on same parameters yet their babies came out differently.

It was discovered that pregnant women who listen more to a certain kind of music have more intelligent babies! Isn't that just lovely?

Then, after the babies arrive, certain kind of exposure help too. The way people relate around them, the cartons they watch, the toys they are exposed to, the food they eat, their state of health, etc. The simple acts of loving shown to a baby helps a great deal, I heard. Maintain eye contacts, hug him, encourage him to talk the baby talk...etc.

Anyways, I don't have a baby and haven't taught babies before but the documentaries I saw made sense and the little I have seen around me help fueled the suggestions. I once read a story of a professor married to another bookie but had a child who was always lost in class, to the dismay of her professor of maths mother. Maybe, there was too much silence around her while she was in the womb and when she arrived grin Those peeps can be sooooo boring ke. But, I'm very sure the girl will eventually catch up albeit slowly wink

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Intelligence Inherited In A Family? by tosyne2much(m): 10:58am On Nov 01, 2016
I am of the opinion that intelligence is sometimes hereditary so as dumbness... It sometimes flows in a family

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Intelligence Inherited In A Family? by rosalieene(f): 3:52pm On Nov 01, 2016
tosyne2much:
I am of the opinion that intelligence is sometimes hereditary... It sometimes flow in a family

2 Likes

Re: Is Intelligence Inherited In A Family? by Nobody: 7:56pm On Nov 01, 2016
It's hereditary we got ours from Dad and Mum. Both 2:1 graduates in Physics and Engineering.

2 Likes

Re: Is Intelligence Inherited In A Family? by Nobody: 10:08pm On Nov 01, 2016
baby124:

Criminal tendency like any Character trait exists genetically and is passed on. Trust me I have been able to observe behaviors of grandkids in my family and they each behave quite similarly to how their older relatives were at childhood. If those traits can be passed on, I don't think criminal tendency is impossible. For example I have a niece that behaves exactly like me. We do not live in the same house or the same country.lmao.

True and there is research going on about it . I remember reading a few years ago that some people are more likely to steal because of their genes.
Re: Is Intelligence Inherited In A Family? by cococandy(f): 8:21am On Nov 02, 2016
MMotimo:
I once read somewhere that the Dad's genes determines a child's intelligence so if you're super smart, be grateful to your Dad
I'm sure I read it's the mom.

6 Likes

Re: Is Intelligence Inherited In A Family? by Nobody: 8:39am On Nov 02, 2016
sisisioge:

It was discovered that pregnant women who listen more to a certain kind of music have more intelligent babies! Isn't that just lovely?

Classical music precisely. It's called the Mozart effect.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Intelligence Inherited In A Family? by sisisioge: 8:43am On Nov 02, 2016
DarkRebel101:

Classical music precisely. It's called the Mozart effect.

You too know book,darkie wink

1 Like

Re: Is Intelligence Inherited In A Family? by Nobody: 8:57am On Nov 02, 2016
Intelligence is inherited, could be acquired, and is also highly influenced by enviromental factors. Genes do not always underlie intelligence judging from the numerous cases of outliers i.e cases of unintelligent parents birthing a genius and vice versa.

Intelligence is 50% hereditary and 50% determined by the environmental circumstances in which one finds him-herself.

Your parents could both be Einsteins, but if you grew up in a third world country, was deprived of quality education, balanced diet, clean water and healthy living in general, you would most likely not be more practically intelligent than the person who was born with a borderline average intelligence but who was priviledged to receive the best education that money can buy, who was born into wealth and enjoyed a healthy living, who can afford the luxury of travelling, who can easily access books to read etc.

All in all, one should not let his-her intelligence be the slave of his-her genes or environmental circumstances for that matter.

If you want to be smart then you have to work hard towards it -- the peregrination toward a transcendental intellect is attained by blood and sweat.

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Is Intelligence Inherited In A Family? by Nobody: 9:01am On Nov 02, 2016
sisisioge:

You too know book,darkie wink

cheesy
Re: Is Intelligence Inherited In A Family? by Pidggin(f): 1:41pm On Nov 02, 2016
Indeed intelligence and character traits are inherited

2 Likes

Re: Is Intelligence Inherited In A Family? by Nobody: 5:31pm On Nov 02, 2016
DarkRebel101:
Intelligence is inherited, could be acquired, and is also highly influenced by enviromental factors. But genes do not always underlie intelligence judging from the numerous cases of outliers i.e cases of unintelligent parents birthing a genius and vice versa.

Intelligence is 50% hereditary and 50% determined by the environmental circumstances in which one finds him-herself.

Your parents could both be Einsteins, but if you grew up in a third world country, was deprived of quality education, balanced diet, clean water and healthy living in general, you would most likely not be more practically intelligent than the person who was born with a borderline average intelligence but who was priviledged to receive the best education that money can buy, who was born into wealth and enjoyed a healthy living, who can afford the luxury of travelling, who can easily access books to read etc.

All in all, one should not let his-her intelligence be the slave of his-her genes or environmental circumstances for that matter.

If you want to be smart then you have to work hard towards it -- the peregrination toward a transcendental intellect is attained by blood and sweat.

I agree with everything but would like to modify the last sentence - if you allow me. If you do not, I will do it anyway. grin

All this hard work gibberish. tongue
My father is a walking encyclopedia and a man who I consider to be intellectual and with a foresight like no other. He has predicted the situation as we know it in the Middle East today a long time ago and the precision with which he has done so is astonishing. However, trust me when I say he has not acquired his knowledge and understanding by blood and sweat. He is far too comfortable to do it in this way. grin He loves reading. I do not know anyone who has read more books and newspapers than he has. He has enjoyed reading and learning and it has proven to be a very successful method.
Re: Is Intelligence Inherited In A Family? by Nobody: 5:58pm On Nov 02, 2016
Mindfulness:

I agree with everything but would like to modify the last sentence - if you allow me. If you do not, I will do it anyway. grin

My father is a walking encyclopedia and a man who I consider to be intellectual and with a foresight like no other. He has predicted the situation as we know it in the Middle East today a long time ago and the precision with which he has done so is astonishing. However, trust me when I say he has not acquired his knowledge and understanding by blood and sweat. He is far too comfortable to do it in this way. grin He loves reading. I do not know anyone who has read more books and newspapers than he has. He has enjoyed reading and learning and it has proven to be a very successful method.

And he did not predict anything for Nigeria?

And what did he say will become of the middle east?

By the way i think we are mistaking innovative/creativity with being knowledgeable.

Like Einstein said, imagination supersedes knowledge.

A man who formulated the theory of relativity that eventual led to nuclear energy never knew how to drive.

3 Likes

Re: Is Intelligence Inherited In A Family? by Nobody: 6:10pm On Nov 02, 2016
Vorpal:

And he did not predict anything for Nigeria?

He has.

And what did he say will become of the middle east?

What you see has become of it today.

By the way i think we are mistaking innovative/creativity with being knowledgeable.

No, I am not.

Like Einstein said, imagination supersedes knowledge.

I agree with Einstein but I did not talk about knowledge but about knowledge and understanding. Einstein would not have been able to develop his theories without knowing mathematics and physics and without understanding it. So knowledge and understanding are the basis, creativity and imagination take it to a whole new level.

A man who formulated the theory of relativity that eventual led to nuclear energy never knew how to drive.

So?

3 Likes

Re: Is Intelligence Inherited In A Family? by Nobody: 6:28pm On Nov 02, 2016
Mindfulness:

He has.

And what were his predictions?
What you see has become of it today.
and what will become of the major player in the field at the moment?
Re: Is Intelligence Inherited In A Family? by Nobody: 6:46pm On Nov 02, 2016
Vorpal:

And what were his predictions?

and what will become of the major player in the field at the moment?

Do you want me to give you my father's contact details? cheesy
Re: Is Intelligence Inherited In A Family? by Nobody: 6:54pm On Nov 02, 2016
Mindfulness:

Nativism has always been a major aversion of mine.
I prefer that hardwork and effort be my footholds, rather than latching tenuously to some belief that one is divinely gifted or innately intelligent.

I'm sure you know the story of the two men who went to the oracle in order to know what the future has in store for them.

One was told that it's been foreordained that he would be rich, and so he slumbered all day and never worked. At the end he died poor and miserable.

While the other man who was told that he was destined to live and die in squalor set out to confound expectations by working hard, and eventually became very wealthy. cheesy

Make tinkerings to the last part of my post all you want. I remain unmoved like the great Iroko tree. grin

My father is a walking encyclopedia

Walking encyclopedia sounds more like knowledgeable.

and a man who I consider to be intellectual and with a foresight like no other. He has predicted the situation as we know it in the Middle East today a long time ago and the precision with which he has done so is astonishing. However, trust me when I say he has not acquired his knowledge and understanding by blood and sweat. He is far too comfortable to do it in this way. grin He loves reading. I do not know anyone who has read more books and newspapers than he has. He has enjoyed reading and learning and it has proven to be a very successful method.

Like I said, intelligence is inherited as well as influenced by the environmental circumstances in which one finds himself.

Let's say your dad is naturally intelligent but didn't build on it by studying, by reading books and newspapers as you said, do you not think that it would have caused his intellect to shrink both in size and potency?

Sweat and blood are metaphors for effort and I'm sure your dad put in lots of effort to be the repository of knowledge that he is. That you can't deny.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Intelligence Inherited In A Family? by Nobody: 7:07pm On Nov 02, 2016
DarkRebel101:

Nativism has always been a major aversion of mine.
I prefer hardwork and effort rather than latching tenuously to some suspicious belief that one is divinely gifted or innately intelligent.

Obviously, I have not expressed myself clearly enough. I am not a nativist although I believe that people who are innately intelligent exist.
What I was saying is that too much emphasis is put on hard work and effort - possibly because people feel the urge to prove their worth by doing it the hard way? Or is it just part of the social conditioning which we have all gone through? Or both?

I believe that intellectual work and expansion can be done and achieved - even if not always - with ease and joy and not sweat and blood. It can a very fulfilling enterprise, not only in the result but also the process.

I'm surw you know the story of the two men who went to the oracle in order to know what the future has in store for them. One was told that it's been foreordained that he would be rich, and so he slumbered all day and never worked. At the end he died poor and miserable.

While the other man who was told that he was destined to be poor set out to confound expectations by working hard, and eventually became very wealthy. cheesy

As above. You got me wrong. My bad.
And I do not even believe in destiny.

Make tinkerings to the last part of my post all you want. I remain unmoved like the great Iroko tree. grin

Then continue sweating and bleeding. I will continue to seek more knowledge and understanding and enjoy it. wink

Walking encyclopedia sounds more like knowledgeable.

He is a walking encyclopedia and - as I have already implied - has outstanding analytical skills.

Like I said, intelligence is inherited as well as influenced by the environmental circumstances in which one finds himself.
Let's say your dad is naturally intelligent but didn't build on himself by studying, by reading books and newspapers as you said, do you not think that it would have caused his intellect to shrink both in size and potency?

I have never questioned the fact that a human being is influenced by both - nature / genes and the environment.

Sweat and blood are metaphors for effort and I'm sure your dad put in lots of effort to be the repository of knowledge that he is. That you can't deny.

Do you want to tell me that you know my father better than I do? LOL

2 Likes

Re: Is Intelligence Inherited In A Family? by Nobody: 8:44pm On Nov 02, 2016
Mindfulness:

Obviously, I have not expressed myself clearly enough. I am not a nativist although I believe that people who are innately intelligent exist.

I do too.

What I was saying is that too much emphasis is put on hard work and effort - possibly because people feel the urge to prove their worth by doing it the hard way? Or is it just part of the social conditioning which we have all gone through? Or both?

How do you become ultra-smart if you do not put in effort or do not work hard toward it? Are you even listening to yourself?

I believe that intellectual work and expansion can be done and achieved - even if not always - with ease and joy and not sweat and blood It can a very fulfilling enterprise, not only in the result but also the process.

Sweat and blood prefigures ease and joy.
Highbrow readers for example who can read any material with relative ease today had to worm through a complication of words, and had to make several road trips to the dictionary until they overtime developed a fail-proof instinct in deducing the meaning of words just by their contextual usage.

As above. You got me wrong. My bad.
And I do not even believe in destiny.

Then continue sweating and bleeding. I will continue to seek more knowledge and understanding and enjoy it. wink

I'm way past the stage of sweating and bleeding. grin
Well, unless I'm making incursions into fields outside my area of expertise.

He is a walking encyclopedia and - as I have already implied - has outstanding analytical skills.

I have never questioned the fact that a human being is influenced by both - nature / genes and the environment.

Do you want to tell me that you know my father better than I do? LOL

Are you trying to say that he put absolutely no effort in becoming what he is today?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Intelligence Inherited In A Family? by Nobody: 9:02pm On Nov 02, 2016
DarkRebel101:

I do too.
How do you become ultra-smart if you do not put in effort or do not work hard toward it? Are you even listening to yourself?

I do not remember my brother, who used to play football professionally and very successfully, ever say 'I have been efforting to be better' but I do know that he was passionate about playing and enjoying it with every fibre of his body and soul.

It is passion, fulfillment and eagerness that make people successful. There may be effort involved but it is not what makes people exceptional 'cause almost everyone is efforting but a lot less are enjoying tremendous success.

Einstein did not struggle to be a better student but he followed his calling passionately and was focused.

Sweat and blood prefigures ease and joy.
Highbrow readers for example who can read any material with relative ease today had to worm through a complication of words, and had to make several road trips to the dictionary until they overtime developed a fail-proof instinct in deducing the meaning of words just by its contextual usage.

Are you sure they all efforted, sweated and bled and did not enjoy the process and the development?
Are you sure all of them were having a hard time and none of them was actually playing with it with great motivation?

I'm way past the stage of sweating and bleeding. grin
Well, unless I'm making incursions into fields outside my area of expertise.

I do not make incursions into fields outside my area of expertise until I enjoy it. School days are over. grin

Are you trying to say that he put absolutely no effort in becoming what he is today?

Minimal effort. He is my role model. cool grin

1 Like

Re: Is Intelligence Inherited In A Family? by zeb04(f): 9:30pm On Nov 02, 2016
I like the debate, it is beautiful, clean and clear

Go on guys

3 Likes

Re: Is Intelligence Inherited In A Family? by Nobody: 3:48am On Nov 03, 2016
Mindfulness:

I do not remember my brother, who used to play football professionally and very successfully, ever say 'I have been efforting to be better' but I do know that he was passionate about playing and enjoying it with every fibre of his body and soul.

You are talking like a mad woman, Mindy. grin
Passion without hardwork, passion without training, is like running a car on water rather than on fuel.

I don't know if your brother is half as good as you claim he is, but I do know that Lionel Messi, who is a paragon of footballing talent, observes a strict training regimen to remain at top echelon. If Leo Messi does that, then what does that tell you?

Do you know how much work Bruce Lee put into being the best martial artist and stuntman?

Why not cast a screening look at his training regiment, you can easily find it online.
You would be a-bubble with disbelief once you realize how overly austere and Spartan his workout regiment was. And yet this was someone who was profoundly talented from nascence.

It is passion, fulfillment and eagerness that make people successful. There may be effort involved but it is not what makes people exceptional 'cause almost everyone is efforting but a lot less are enjoying tremendous success.

Wrong. Passion and eagerness are what keeps you interested, not what makes you stand out.
Hardwork on the other hand is the supervitamin for exceptionality.

Einstein did not struggle to be a better student but he followed his calling passionately and was focused.

Being focused is also an integral part of hardwork. It takes mental toughness, immense discipline, and strength of character to not lose sight of goal.

Did Einstein become a household name in the scientific firmament simply because he was passionate about his work? The answer is no, and that's because hardwork was the key ingredient in the recipe that brought about his success.

You said it yourself that he had to fully understand mathematical formulas et al. That sounds like something you work hard to come to grips with.

Are you sure they all efforted, sweated and bled and did not enjoy the process and the development?
Are you sure all of them were having a hard time and none of them was actually playing with it with great motivation?

I never said they did not enjoy the process.

One sweats profusely and one's body is usually in awkward folds and contortions when one is having sex, does that mean because one sweated to attain climax, that the ‘sweating process’ was grunt work and pointblank unenjoyable? grin

I do not make incursions into fields outside my area of expertise until I enjoy it. School days are over. grin

Same here. But some situations warrant getting out of your comfort zone.

Minimal effort. He is my role model. cool grin

You can keep deceiving yourself.

I would love to meet your dad, though -- the much touted reservoir of knowledge and timeless wisdom. cheesy Does he play chess?

All I see here is a lazy woman who is too afraid to sweat and work hard, and who is trying to dream up tenous excuses to make a case for her laziness. grin

Apparently, we are two continents of opinion as regards what constitutes the life-straw of every success story – whether it is the twofold of ‘passion and enthusiasm’, or whether it is the virtues of hardwork and effort. But, we can always agree to disagree, right?

5 Likes

Re: Is Intelligence Inherited In A Family? by Nobody: 6:52am On Nov 03, 2016
DarkRebel101:

You are talking like a mad woman, Mindy. grin
Passion without hardwork, passion without training, is like running a car on water rather than on fuel.

I don't know if your brother is half as good as you claim he is, but I do know that Lionel Messi, who is a paragon of footballing talent, observes a strict training regimen to remain at top echelon. If Leo Messi does that, then what does that tell you?

Do you know how much work Bruce Lee put into being the best martial artist and stuntman?

Why not cast a screening look at his training regiment, you can easily find it online.
You would be a-bubble with disbelief once you realize how overly austere and Spartan his workout regiment was. And yet this was someone who was profoundly talented from nascence.

And I am sure most of the time they enjoy the training.

Wrong. Passion and eagerness are what keeps you interested, not what makes you stand out.
Hardwork on the other hand is the supervitamin for exceptionality.

You talk like everyone else.

Being focused is also an integral part of hardwork. It takes mental toughness, immense discipline, and strength of character to not lose sight of goal.

Bla bla bla.

Did Einstein become a household name in the scientific firmament simply because he was passionate about his work? The answer is no, and that's because hardwork was the key ingredient in the recipe that brought about his success.

Passion and focus. And passion is what made him focus.

You said it yourself that he had to fully understand mathematical formulas et al. That sounds like something you work hard to come to grips with.

He had a natural inclination toward these sciences. This is where nature comes into play.

I never said they did not enjoy the process.

But you have omitted the most important aspect of it all because hard work is so virtuous. Social conditioning, social conditioning. So un-Rebel like.

One sweats profusely and one's body is usually in awkward folds and contortions when one is having sex, does that mean because one sweated to attain climax, that the ‘sweating process’ was grunt work and pointblank unenjoyable? grin

Perfect example of what I mean. Just because Messi is sweating, does not mean he is killing himself to achieve a result but rather enjoys the process and the result is a natural outcome of his talent, passion and focus couple with the time he invests because he loves to do what he does.

Same here. But some situations warrant getting out of your comfort zone.

You can keep deceiving yourself.

I would love to meet your dad, though -- the much touted reservoir of knowledge and timeless wisdom. cheesy Does he play chess?

You wouldn't want to meet him. He is not nice to people other than his family. grin

All I see here is a lazy woman who is too afraid to sweat and work hard, and who is trying to dream up tenous excuses to make a case for her laziness. grin

YES, I AM LAZY AND I LOVE IT.

Apparently, we are two continents of opinion as regards what constitutes the life-straw of every success story – whether it is the twofold of ‘passion and enthusiasm’, or whether it is the virtues of hardwork and effort. But, we can always agree to disagree, right?

I am a success story. wink

I don't know about you. tongue

3 Likes

Re: Is Intelligence Inherited In A Family? by Emmyk(m): 7:01am On Nov 03, 2016
Yes, it is.
Re: Is Intelligence Inherited In A Family? by Nobody: 9:07am On Nov 03, 2016
Mindfulness:

And I am sure most of the time they enjoy the training.

You talk like everyone else.

Bla bla bla.

And you talk like lazy people do.

Passion and focus. And passion is what made him focus.

He had a natural inclination toward these sciences. This is where nature comes into play.

But you have omitted the most important aspect of it all because hard work is so virtuous. Social conditioning, social conditioning. So un-Rebel like.

So because I strongly believe in the values of work ethics, that means I've been programmed to do so by social conditioning?

LOL. You are clutching at straws here.
I don't know about you but I get islanded in a sea of bliss whenever I work hard and push myself to the limits to achieve something -- something of the intellectual variety --, and like I said in my previous post, our orientations vary, so stop trying to obtrude your beliefs upon me.

Perfect example of what I mean. Just because Messi is sweating, does not mean he is killing himself to achieve a result but rather enjoys the process and the result is a natural outcome of his talent, passion and focus couple with the time he invests because he do what he does.

You wouldn't want to meet him. He is not nice to people other than his family. grin

YES, I AM LAZY AND I LOVE IT.

Yeah, Yeah -- I already said it, hardwork doesn't translate to the process being unenjoyable. You can both work hard and derive joy from the process.

How many of your boyfriends did he have to shoot before they finally got the message? grin

I am a success story. wink

I don't know about you. tongue

I AM WHAT I AM. tongue

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Intelligence Inherited In A Family? by ElsonMorali: 5:31pm On Nov 03, 2016
Intelligence is inherited from the mother.

A man should be careful who he marries.

1 Like

Re: Is Intelligence Inherited In A Family? by Rapmoney(m): 12:24am On Nov 06, 2016
ElsonMorali:
Intelligence is inherited from the mother.

A man should be careful who he marries.
There's no monopoly. It can come from either parent cool

1 Like

Re: Is Intelligence Inherited In A Family? by ElsonMorali: 8:02am On Nov 06, 2016
Rapmoney:

You can Google the various scientific studies. undecided

1 Like

Re: Is Intelligence Inherited In A Family? by sisisioge: 8:07am On Nov 06, 2016
Rapmoney:

Hmmmm...groovy! Hails to our smart mothers cool

2 Likes

Re: Is Intelligence Inherited In A Family? by MMotimo: 2:26pm On Nov 06, 2016
@vorpal
@cococandy

I went to Google and yes, it appears that whatever I read back then was inaccurate

1 Like

Re: Is Intelligence Inherited In A Family? by Nobody: 2:42pm On Nov 06, 2016
cococandy:

I'm sure I read it's the mom.

No wonder humanity made a quantum leap forward in the evolution in the century in which tertiary education was opened to women.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

My Father Preferred My Younger Brother. / Eniola ‘Mae’ Adeniji: "My Devastating Marriage Experience" / Updated: My Pre-wedding Photos Before Editing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.