Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,896 members, 7,814,029 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:00 AM

Lest We Forget - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Lest We Forget (828 Views)

Lest We Immortalize Nuisance…the “goldie” Situation By Eseoghene Al-faruq Ohwoje / Lest You Forget, What Happened In Burma / Lest We Forget (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Lest We Forget by freditua: 11:03am On Oct 27, 2009
LEST WE FORGET
I remember the words of Martin Luther king Jr, that truth crushed to earth shall rise again because lies do not last forever. It is a common phenomenon in Nigeria to see the inhuman treatment melted out on true Nigerians who have served this country meritoriously. They are either removed from office disgracefully or treated with the greatest disdain when they eventually leave office. Many Nigerians still cannot find answers to many issues that are begging for attention. Nigeria is one of the few countries, if not the only country in the world that celebrates vices and throws virtues into the bin. It will be immaterial if I begin to enumerate Nigerians who in my opinion and in the opinion of other Nigerians deserve to be stoned to death, instead, they are still part of the cabal that decide the future of this country. In this piece of writing, I shall endeavor to remind Nigerians should in case we have forgotten so soon, where we have been, where we are now and what lies ahead of us if we do not question the old order.
Without any sentiments, many Nigerians will agree with me that Obasanjo’s second term in office experienced some wonderful growth in some key sectors of this country. Upon his re-election in 2003, he brought in some of Nigeria’s finest economic team to champion a course for this country. And in doing this, he embrace all the various groups in the country irrespective of their creed or tribe. That government saw the emergence of the likes of Nuhu Ribadu, Charles Soludo, Okonjo Iweala, Obi Ezekwesili, Dora Akunyili, Nasir El Rufai and others. These calibers of Nigerians championed some of the finest economic developments this country has ever seen. The irony of it all is that, none of these technocrats is a citizen of the Yoruba nation. As it is being practiced in other emerging economies of the world, the Yar’ Adua government would have employed the services of these great Nigerians to further strengthen these institutions and in doing that, we will create a stable economy.
Technically, institutions like the EFCC, NAFDAC, Due Process Office, The FCT, etc that were managed by these worthy Nigerians are today begging for local recognition, talk less of good performance. Yar’ Adua as a president may have the noblest intentions to lift this nation up and forward. But tell me, what can a sick man do if not to be concerned about his own dilapidating health? There is an adage in my place that a man who is desperate to release waste products from his system does not settle any quarrels until he is relieved of his own burden. Such is the case of our amiable president Yar’ Adua. He lacks the will to implement decisions that will define a better course for this nation.
Guilty Nigerians accused Mallam Nuhu Ribadu that he was never fair in the way he handled anti-corruption fight in this country. Some have even accused him that he was very selective. The truth must be told. Of all the Nigerians, that EFCC prosecuted during Nuhu Ribadu as the chairman of the commission, is there anyone that would boast of being innocent and accused wrongly? ‘’A man who could go after the richest ex-military ruler, a man who arrested, convicted and jailed his Inspector General of Police, who arrested powerful ex-governors and reduced them to tears in court, who influenced the choice of the previous administration in choosing their successors is a very powerful leader. Ribadu never gave excuses for an inability to prosecute corruption, he knew it was a cancer that has reduced Nigeria to a laughing stock and impeded her progress and he did something about it. Due to his efforts, Nigeria, which was blacklisted by the Financial Action Task Force before he came on board, was delisted and we improved significantly on the Transparency International Corruption Perception Index. There was also a robust cooperation between the EFCC under Ribadu and the Metropolitan police of London, The FBI and other world law enforcement bodies. Interestingly on the same day that his successor and the current president granted interviews severely criticizing him, Ribadu was invited by no less a body than the U.S congress to educate it on the issue of 3rd world corruption. It just goes to show you that you can not keep a good man down!” (An excerpt from Pat Utomi’s The Difference between Leadership and Management)
Recently, this same Ribadu was invited by the Liberian government to tutor some of its institutions on how to tackle corruption. If indeed he was guilty as its been rumoured by some section of the country, why could a nation as powerful as the US and our neighbor, Liberia invite him? This goes to show that we do not value our best.
The case of Nasir El Rufai is another logical example. He wrestled with the high and mighty just to bring back sanity to the nation’s capital and restore the master plan. Today, some members of the National Assembly who felt cheated during the exercise are now asking for his pound of flesh. Okonjo Iweala and Obi Ezekwesili are quite lucky not to have been accused of any serious wrong doings. Maybe they did not step on powerful toes like Nuhu Ribadu and El Rufai. Dora Akunyili is still enjoying the best of praise simply because she is part of the government. I hope she will not be a victim of her own good. The more recent and the most alarming is that of Charles Soludo. The vibrancy being enjoyed in the banking sector is the handiwork and brainchild of this noble son of Nigeria. Maybe he is not an expert in risk management like Lamido Sanusi, but he has done well enough to deserve our praise.
Everyday in Nigeria, national honours are being conferred on thieves rather than on worthy Nigerians who have served this nation at the expense of their own comfort and lives. At times, I just wish I was never a Nigerian and then I realize how fortunate I am to be one. Inspite of all the wrong things that have marred the development of this nation, I still believe the future of the nation is bright. It might not be God’s own country like the US or Israel, I am still positive that the future will be great. We must also realize one truth that God will not do for us what we can do for ourselves. The growth and development of this country is a responsibility for all. In the course of criticizing this country, also ponder on how much you can contribute to its development and growth.
In the final analysis, Nigerians should shun the habit of singing praises only when the journey is good. We must support what is right and just. We should be slow to judge people. We should also learn to respect our own. The same way we expect people to commend us whenever we deserve some praises, we should also extend the same trend to those living LEGENDS who have done so well for the good of this country, LEST WE FORGET.
Itua Fred Odianosen,
Lagos, Nigeria.

(1) (Reply)

Your Blogging Niche / Meet The Adebanjo’s (new Uk Sitcom) Launches A Day After Standnetwork / The Nitty-gritty Of Nigerian Essay Writing Contest

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.