Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,939 members, 7,821,288 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:57 AM

Quick Question! Can A Wife Accuse Her Husband Of Rape? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Quick Question! Can A Wife Accuse Her Husband Of Rape? (4122 Views)

Husband Of Risikat Azeez-Ayegbami: Why I Abandoned My Wife With Blue Eyes / Zimbabwean Wife Caught Having Sex With Another Man, She Starves Husband Of Sex / Lady Finds Out Her Husband Of 4 Months Is A Car Wash Boy And Not A Car Dealer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Quick Question! Can A Wife Accuse Her Husband Of Rape? by mysticgal(f): 5:25pm On Nov 02, 2016
TV01:
Thanks Mysticgal for the well researched input and 5minsmadness for your points.

I don't believe rape should be alleged, let alone chargeable/prosecuted between spouses. Marriage pre-dates the law, and as such the law should at best seek to support and buttress the institution, not meddle - and in a lopsided fashion - especially with regard to Christian marriages from my pov.

Neither a husband or wife should be charged with forced or coercive intercourse. Not unless there is real (and in some cases non-consensual) physical harm should the state even be involved. Then charges of battery may be considered and Christianity would agree with that.

From a Christian pov, spouses own each others bodies and should not deny the others calling. If forced or coerced intercourse is rape, then withholding intimacy - unless by consent or due to some valid reason - should also be chargeable. It is not currently on any statutes as far as I am aware.

I couldn't bear to look at my wife - always jumping my bones when I want to snooze, watch the boxing come to NL etc. grin - and think of her as a rapist cool

TV
You are welcome sir smiley
Re: Quick Question! Can A Wife Accuse Her Husband Of Rape? by mysticgal(f): 5:26pm On Nov 02, 2016
5minsmadness:

My guess:
You rebuked her friend.
She didn't see when her friend mentioned your as*.
Or called your contribution a load of crap.
I never knew grin
Good evening
Re: Quick Question! Can A Wife Accuse Her Husband Of Rape? by mysticgal(f): 5:26pm On Nov 02, 2016
truthsayer007:

Yea, because the girl i dated back then in school was a law student, she had huge impact on me.
Marry a lawyer or marry no onw wink
Re: Quick Question! Can A Wife Accuse Her Husband Of Rape? by peeparty(m): 5:28pm On Nov 02, 2016
mysticgal:
Super bae how you dey
Re: Quick Question! Can A Wife Accuse Her Husband Of Rape? by mysticgal(f): 5:34pm On Nov 02, 2016
peeparty:

Super bae how you dey
I am's fine grin

1 Like

Re: Quick Question! Can A Wife Accuse Her Husband Of Rape? by Nobody: 8:22pm On Nov 02, 2016
mysticgal:

Whats a "onw" ?
Re: Quick Question! Can A Wife Accuse Her Husband Of Rape? by MMotimo: 2:20pm On Nov 06, 2016
mysticgal:
^^^^MMotimo
You are wrong there.
A wife cannot accuse her husband of rape and stealing especially if they are married under the Christian marriage, which means they were married in court or the church, mind you, this does not apply to couple married only traditionally. And the law of rape would only apply when they are separated or divorced

Actually, I am right . Why? Your argument is predicated on forceful sexual intercourse not being rape in Nigeria if the victim is a spouse because the activity does not meet the definition of rape in the Nigerian criminal code. Notice how I already clearly stated "if it meets the definition" I said that because I realize that different countries have different criminal codes. So, again, if it meets the definition in a certain gepgraphic region, then it is rape. If it doesn't, then it is not. I do not speak in absolutes about matters I am not sure of thus my language. If I had said it is rape in Nigeria, then I would have been wrong if it in fact does not meet the definition.

I do not have any other legal opinion about the references you provided (it would make for very awkward conversation with my husband's Nigerian lawyer friends) but I get that the references you provide support that it is not rape in Nigeria.

It is indeed sad that in the context of Nigerian law, (taking your references at face value), a sexual predator could get married and live out all his violent fantasies in the name of matrimony, repeatedly raping his wife because the law enables him. Makes you wonder why such archaic laws still exist in the 21 st century. Thankfully, in many other countries, the criminal code rightly recognizes such activity as rape.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Is Marriage Not Boring? / Help! I Need To End This Before I Run Out Of My Mind / I Caught My Friend's Mom!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.