Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,706 members, 7,837,589 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 07:45 AM

How Buhari Can Crash The Dollar/naira Disparity- Ifeanyi Ubah - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How Buhari Can Crash The Dollar/naira Disparity- Ifeanyi Ubah (33510 Views)

Naira Rate Against The Dollar, Pounds And Euros Today 27/04/2017 / Today's Naira Exchange Rate Against The Dollar, Pounds And Euro / Today's Naira Exchange Rate Against The Dollar, Pounds And Euro (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Buhari Can Crash The Dollar/naira Disparity- Ifeanyi Ubah by BlackMbakara1(m): 12:27pm On Nov 01, 2016
I'm surprised peeps here just spew thrash without reflecting, is there anything new that he has just said? The government before and now had already granted licenses for refineries, what has become of those licenses?

Would you force "politcal" investors?

Let him build one, then i'll take him serious...a patriotic citizen doesn't need to be consulted.

2 Likes

Re: How Buhari Can Crash The Dollar/naira Disparity- Ifeanyi Ubah by eyimba02(m): 12:27pm On Nov 01, 2016
Take ur time ⌚ an read the article carefully an see his point an don't just comment cause his name is ifeanyi

1 Like

Re: How Buhari Can Crash The Dollar/naira Disparity- Ifeanyi Ubah by bilulu(m): 12:29pm On Nov 01, 2016
Sibrah:
So Ubah is just realizing that we have bad economic manager? When we sold oil for $120pb+ on a budget benchmark of less than $80pb and still borrowed, build no new refinery, fix old refinery or built modular refineries, he didn't realize there was bad management then.
We even exhausted over $120B in forex between 2008 - 2015 and Ubah didn't see bad management.
Suddenly his wisdom and 'love' for One-Nigeria has come alive when oil is going for far less.
He even thinks the idea of a modular refinery is new and is trying to say Nigerians don't know about it.
This man is delusional at best and parading as a grade A clown.
Y do u people keep living in d past? So because tins went dat way means dis administration can't find other means? He jux gave a possible way out instead of commending him u re insulting him cuz he's not from d West or North........ Reason we'll continue to fail as a country
Re: How Buhari Can Crash The Dollar/naira Disparity- Ifeanyi Ubah by harmbhrosz(m): 12:29pm On Nov 01, 2016
Akinwerndey:
less than a Month I've joined Nairaland, I've never seen a post from you that a sane person will agree with you. You and host of other fellow zombies are the ones making people to insult SW meanwhile not all SWesterners think like lunatic. At least try engage your brain and link it with reality. Haba!
lol you mean the guy before?
Re: How Buhari Can Crash The Dollar/naira Disparity- Ifeanyi Ubah by CHYMZZY(m): 12:33pm On Nov 01, 2016
NaijaEfcc:
Southerners are the only people that can salvage this country! But hope nothing happens to this man!
Remove the Igbo's and see Nigeria crumple like a bread.
A northerner once told me that the Igbo's need to be in power to change the ugly face of Nigeria diversification of of resourses...
Now my brother from Nnewi is sayin' the same thing that [b]"their is nothin' wrong with our economy, just that mismanagement is killing us."

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Buhari Can Crash The Dollar/naira Disparity- Ifeanyi Ubah by Ratello: 12:34pm On Nov 01, 2016
Sibrah:
So Ubah is just realizing that we have bad economic manager? When we sold oil for $120pb+ on a budget benchmark of less than $80pb and still borrowed, build no new refinery, fix old refinery or built modular refineries, he didn't realize there was bad management then.
We even exhausted over $120B in forex between 2008 - 2015 and Ubah didn't see bad management.
Suddenly his wisdom and 'love' for One-Nigeria has come alive when oil is going for far less.
He even thinks the idea of a modular refinery is new and is trying to say Nigerians don't know about it.
Are u aware that you are older than Ifeanyi Ubah?

1 Like

Re: How Buhari Can Crash The Dollar/naira Disparity- Ifeanyi Ubah by Nobody: 12:36pm On Nov 01, 2016
Ifeanyi Ubah is very intelligent..

Too intelligent.

They say making money is an art. I agree..

1 Like

Re: How Buhari Can Crash The Dollar/naira Disparity- Ifeanyi Ubah by chiozor: 12:36pm On Nov 01, 2016
^^^^^^ grin grin grin
Re: How Buhari Can Crash The Dollar/naira Disparity- Ifeanyi Ubah by obailala(m): 12:38pm On Nov 01, 2016
Islie:

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/11/buhari-can-crash-dollarnaira-disparity-ifeanyi-ubah/
qualityovenbake:
The federal government economy team needs to wake up and remove the dimness or blindness from their eyes. They should put their ego's aside and implement this useful information.
kings09:
Wit all d advisers buhari has, none cld even come up wit a practical solution as suggested in d article. Well am nt surprised, a dullard can only be surrounded by those as himself - bunch of dullards

Since last year the talk of modular refineries have been on the table. Early this year, Kachikwu announced that 22 licenses were given to private individuals to build modular refineries. Whether the private firms are actually building is a story for another day. It seems everyone is waiting patiently for Dangote to complete his mega-refinery and take over the entire market before others wake up and start wailing about monopoly.

Nothing exactly new has been said here by Oga Ifeanyi.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/03/22-modular-refineries-bring-new-1-429mbpd-capacity/

Meanwhile one of the first private modular refineries seems to be at an advanced stage and may hopefully be completed soon.
http://thenewsnigeria.com.ng/2016/04/nigerias-first-modular-refinery-ready-this-year/

2 Likes

Re: How Buhari Can Crash The Dollar/naira Disparity- Ifeanyi Ubah by Akinwerndey: 12:39pm On Nov 01, 2016
www.nairaland.com/3437831/absence-auditor-general-may-stall#50646542.... The guy too dey yarn dust... Him posts no dey get meaning. I tire for the guy! That link na the yeye argument weh him been they make yesterday, common question he nor fit answer... I wish say I fit seize him phone begin slap am make him go sleep.
Re: How Buhari Can Crash The Dollar/naira Disparity- Ifeanyi Ubah by Nobody: 12:39pm On Nov 01, 2016
Sibrah:
This man is delusional. Even though he made sense, he is trying blow the influence of his suggestions out of proportion here . . . .
There is no way 75% of forex can be used for fuel alone. Modular refinery concept is good but being exargerated by Ubah.

Are you a billionaire ? If you are not, then you can not argue with a billionaire(Ifeanyi).

Can you compare Ifeanyi's panacea to healing Nigerias economy with that of Dangote who said we should sell NLNG. The same Dangote went to one Scandinavian country and bought an LNG company last month.

Can you see who is patriotic among them and who is blindly selfish ?

4 Likes

Re: How Buhari Can Crash The Dollar/naira Disparity- Ifeanyi Ubah by Dezik58: 12:41pm On Nov 01, 2016
I can't remember how many times he suggested this to the past government who enjoyed oil price boom
Re: How Buhari Can Crash The Dollar/naira Disparity- Ifeanyi Ubah by obailala(m): 12:42pm On Nov 01, 2016
mesoprogress:
Uba is right. What he said is absolutely right. Fix petrol importation, fix rice importation (not by banning but increasing local production), naira will appreciate. This can be done in less than a year.
How exactly can this be done in less than a year?... The nation has only dead and decomposed refineries which are approaching 40 years old, do you really think refineries can be built in one year from conception to commissioning?
Re: How Buhari Can Crash The Dollar/naira Disparity- Ifeanyi Ubah by jaybee3(m): 12:45pm On Nov 01, 2016
ephi123:

But at the same time you are mentioning it as a reason why the government should not give oil marketers loans. If it is not a viable business, then that makes it of no relevance.

That consideration remains valid because:

A govt has many ways of making money and as such can augment potential losses from other income streams

Same as

Dangote who has his hands in many pots and can equally augment potential losses

However, oil marketers are experts in one field alone therefore it's all about profit for them. Who covers the potential losses when it's almost certain that it's a probable rather than likelihood
Re: How Buhari Can Crash The Dollar/naira Disparity- Ifeanyi Ubah by shamecurls(m): 12:45pm On Nov 01, 2016
Clinton9000:
This is why the powers there be...don't want them to get Biafrra. I can see the sense in what he saying. He came into the downstream oil business barely 8 yrs ago, within months, he chased Zenon and all that crowd out of business, and became the largest downstream oil distributor in Nigeria, today with the largest depot and reserve.

Chai!

You can lie

Thanks to Google, would have swallowed all the plantain you served.
Re: How Buhari Can Crash The Dollar/naira Disparity- Ifeanyi Ubah by Hardtalkjoe: 12:48pm On Nov 01, 2016
Re: How Buhari Can Crash The Dollar/naira Disparity- Ifeanyi Ubah by ephi123(f): 12:51pm On Nov 01, 2016
jaybee3:

That consideration remains valid because:

A govt has many ways of making money and as such can augment potential losses from other income streams

Same as

Dangote who has his hands in many pots and can equally augment potential losses

However, oil marketers are experts in one field alone therefore it's all about profit for them. Who covers the potential losses when it's almost certain that it's a probable rather than likelihood

I'm sorry to say but you are contradicting yourself. You yourself said "refinery is not a viable business" but yet you say it is a valid consideration. What is the point of considering an option which is not viable?
Re: How Buhari Can Crash The Dollar/naira Disparity- Ifeanyi Ubah by deriod(m): 12:53pm On Nov 01, 2016
Going through d comments here ,i understand why nigerians will continue groaning in hardship,this man just proffered d best solution,but because of tribalism a lot of us are criticising without understanding what's on ground ,if continue dis way till december I'm scared some of you here will eat sand for christmas .

1 Like

Re: How Buhari Can Crash The Dollar/naira Disparity- Ifeanyi Ubah by Abbeyme: 12:53pm On Nov 01, 2016
So easily said
Re: How Buhari Can Crash The Dollar/naira Disparity- Ifeanyi Ubah by 989900D: 12:56pm On Nov 01, 2016
The below was my reaction in February 2016:

989900:
As annoyingly repetitive as it may seem, we can't get out of this quagmire without addressing the below 'causes' -- even if we devalue the Naira to N1,000 to a Dollar!

1. Check excess liquidity and currency racketeering/fraud (see Henry Boyo's explanation. . . I have posted many stuffs about it previously), while promulgating industry revolutionizing monetary policies.

2. Amend our laws to draw in investors (use propaganda if need be).

3. Amend power generation and transmission laws to attract investors in that sector . . . do everything possible on earth and beyond to achieve at the least, 15 hours stable power supply averagely (this would catalyze industrial revolution, while reducing demand for refined pet. products).

4. Refineries -- we need all four gov't refineries, and tens of modular ones running since last decade -- until we stop the importation of refined petroleum products that eats up, up to 30-40% of our Forex, we are going no where!
We were bringing in hundreds of millions of dollars in the early 90s from refined products exports, right now, we should have colonized West Africa with NNPC products everywhere (refined products have no OPEC cap)!

5. Encourage exports, and local content.

Re: Senator Bruce: As much as I admire his vigor and enthusiasm about the whole 'buyNaija' awareness, it's just a fraction in the scheme of things!

While importing palm oil from the same Malaysia we introduced palm oil to, importing eggs from South Africa we fought and paid to liberate, importing rice from a politically unstable Thailand, or toothpicks from hell are all 'weirdos', they account for far less than what
importation of refined petroleum products cost us; then we have the importation of aircrafts and parts and servicing which costs us hundreds of millions of dollars annually -- but Bruce believes it's about our average $20-$50 shoes or bags, $100 phones, or what-not (roughly 10-20 percent of our forex demand), or about our cheap $5,000 cars which by the way generates income for customs when they 'land', while gov't and it's officials are actually the ones bringing the forex gulping machines (probably without paying custom duties).
NBS just released a report indicating between January 2010 - September 2015, we spent over N20 trillion (roughly $130 BILLION . . . 2014 dollar) on just importation of PMS, AGO, and DPK alone!
Same refined products we mine from our backyards, same refined products we were net exporters of (raking in millions of dollars from), 25 years ago! If this is not madness, what is?

Re: Ifeanyi Ubah: Though he is yet to disclose his so called "secret" or magic wand (but I guess it is: probably supporting the country's fuel import-consumption . . . probably for some while).

My own idea of bringing the dollar exchange rate to below N200 in say 3 months would be namely:

Stop the importation of refined products now and find alternative to how we survive without it -- it gulps 40% of our forex!

Crazy, right? However, we probably can (everyone's contribution and criticism would be helpful here), if the gov't is serious about it, and if it can carry the people along especially with the budding awareness of the demise of our economy.

1. Get the NNPC, special task forces, Armed forces, and the people on board as regards protecting the pipelines.

2. Get NNPC to make sure the refineries do not slouch again, rather, increasing in production.

3. Get the few trains we have working, and create an awareness on conserving fuel.

4. Provide very affordable mass transit buses, while encouraging car owners to shed usage, or re-introduce something similar to our old 'odd number/even number system' for cars that should have access to the road on particular days.

5. Provide gas, give free/cheap cylinders to boot if necessary.

6. Power: without fairly stable power supply it will be a difficult one. Fairly stable power reduces the need for PMS and AGO, reduces importation of generators and alternative power equipment.

7. Checkmate cross-border fuel smuggling.

8. Modular refineries: they can be imported and made operational in months.

9. Sell off some portion of gov't assets to foreign investors. #ppp

Additionals:

10. Encourage Nigerians overseas to invest back home.

11. Recover all debts, 'stolens', and 'accruables'.

12. Reduce gov't recurrent expenditure and buying local for all gov't purposes if available -- starting with them senator's cars, and presidential budget and travels.

13. Consider changing currency colors.

14. Agric exports.

If we can do all the above (sounds crazy though . . . desperate situation calls for desperate measures), our refined fuel consumption rate should drop to 'near' what NNPC can support, or at worst, greatly reduce importation of refined fuel by more than 60%. Then we "buynaija"; the Naira will firm up, and the CBN can probably tweak the exchange rate to gain say N2-N4/$, which will indicate a direction of positive purpose, causing the BM, hoarders, and racketeers to panic-sell their dollars, while the CBN tries its best to enforce and enhance/support a strict range for bank rates.

Devaluation in our case', is a symptomatic approach to a systematic malady: underlying causes won't be cured!
It's like taking paracetamol as a curative for stage 4 cancer -- it 'probably' might make your pain dissipate (very likely it won't), but just for a very little while.

*Everyone's contribution and criticism would be helpful here.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Buhari Can Crash The Dollar/naira Disparity- Ifeanyi Ubah by Ddy(m): 1:03pm On Nov 01, 2016
Sibrah:

U are going hungry everyday,he is making millions still u insult him. Hunger will kill u soon
Re: How Buhari Can Crash The Dollar/naira Disparity- Ifeanyi Ubah by jozee8: 1:08pm On Nov 01, 2016
What this man is saying, me think it's the truth! but watch how everything would be politicized and 'tribalized' and ' christinized' plus including ' islamized' on here.
Re: How Buhari Can Crash The Dollar/naira Disparity- Ifeanyi Ubah by jaybee3(m): 1:10pm On Nov 01, 2016
ephi123:

I'm sorry to say but you are contradicting yourself. You yourself said "refinery is not a viable business" but yet you say it is a valid consideration. What is the point of considering an option which is not viable?

I remember using "Isn't necessarily" in my first submission.

The qualifier suggests you are more likely to lose money than make money. That doesn't mean money can't be made only that it's very difficult for reasons such as, overhead costs, price of crude and allowable margin and availability of energy

The government usually ventures into such business not necessarily to make money but to provide her citizens with basic amenities as it trickles down economic channel

1 Like

Re: How Buhari Can Crash The Dollar/naira Disparity- Ifeanyi Ubah by logicapps: 1:12pm On Nov 01, 2016
bligs:
The only thing wrong in the country is bad economy managers that's nothing but the truth.

You will certainly receive devine favour from above this very month for speaking my mind.... we cant do nothing against the truth!
Re: How Buhari Can Crash The Dollar/naira Disparity- Ifeanyi Ubah by Sibrah: 1:14pm On Nov 01, 2016
Akinwerndey:
less than a Month I've joined Nairaland, I've never seen a post from you that a sane person will agree with you. You and host of other fellow zombies are the ones making people to insult SW meanwhile not all SWesterners think like lunatic. At least try engage your brain and link it with reality. Haba!
You are a pretender . . .
Re: How Buhari Can Crash The Dollar/naira Disparity- Ifeanyi Ubah by excelconcept: 1:14pm On Nov 01, 2016
Sibrah:
This man is delusional. Even though he made sense, he is trying blow the influence of his suggestions out of proportion here . . . .
There is no way 75% of forex can be used for fuel alone. Modular refinery concept is good but being exargerated by Ubah.
what are your prove to make this man statement delusional. please
Re: How Buhari Can Crash The Dollar/naira Disparity- Ifeanyi Ubah by ephi123(f): 1:16pm On Nov 01, 2016
jaybee3:

I remember using "Isn't necessarily" in my first submission.

The qualifier suggests you are more likely to lose money than make money. That doesn't mean money can't be made only that it's very difficult for reasons such as, overhead costs, price of crude and allowable margin and availability of energy

The government usually ventures into such business not necessarily to make money but to provide her citizens with basic amenities as it trickles down economic channel

Okay, noted.
Re: How Buhari Can Crash The Dollar/naira Disparity- Ifeanyi Ubah by Akinwerndey: 1:23pm On Nov 01, 2016
Sibrah:
You are a pretender . . .
pls pls abeg no use mouth odour kill me... Why should I pretend in the face of reality? You're the pretender because you're suffering from Buhari's mess and draconian rule yet you're smiling! So who's nw pretending? Chai U need to go and buy jik to brush ya mouth!

2 Likes

Re: How Buhari Can Crash The Dollar/naira Disparity- Ifeanyi Ubah by lastmessenger: 1:28pm On Nov 01, 2016
it’s not about academics, it’s about being streetwise.’ “Money-making is an art. There is nobody that can’t make money. It depends on how you design the art of how you want to make money.

Ifeanyi Uba
Re: How Buhari Can Crash The Dollar/naira Disparity- Ifeanyi Ubah by omenka(m): 2:07pm On Nov 01, 2016
Sibrah:
Re: How Buhari Can Crash The Dollar/naira Disparity- Ifeanyi Ubah by mrvitalis(m): 2:21pm On Nov 01, 2016
mesoprogress:
Uba is right. What he said is absolutely right. Fix petrol importation, fix rice importation (not by banning but increasing local production), naira will appreciate. This can be done in less than a year.
Uba is so smart he is not evejn seeing the fact that dangote and otedolar will soon chase him out of business.. .

Where was he when the minister of petroleum was giving licence for 10 module refineries??

Bro there is no magic in economic growth.. All what he said buhari has put in motion months ago...
Licence has been granted to 10 module refineries to utilise the supply link of the old refineries. .. But seriously whats the future in that with dangote refineries coming up soon.. Ajnd he has said otedolar will be his only distributor??

As for rice.. Go around and see people buying Nigeria rice

Our mean issue for foof is wheat and apple

He actually said nothing

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How To Start A Manufacturing Company In Nigeria / Standard Chartered Bank Of Nigeria Gives Out Loan Without Collateral / How Much Of Old Naira Note Is With You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.