Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,637 members, 7,809,392 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:46 AM

The 10 Most Inspirational Female Engineers In The World - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / The 10 Most Inspirational Female Engineers In The World (1171 Views)

What Do You Think Of Female Engineers? / The 10 Most Inspirational Female Engineers In Nigeria / The 10 Most Inspirational Female Engineers In The World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The 10 Most Inspirational Female Engineers In The World by Lordsurh: 4:11pm On Nov 01, 2016

Technology is one field you won’t find many female engineers but it is a fascinating career option.

As a female engineers it can be a little horrible working in the tech industry, due to high rate of sexism. But nevertheless, there are so many female Engineers who are currently successful in the tech industry and their stories can serve as an inspiration for young and innovative female students out there.

There has been a huge push these days to encourage more girls to learn coding and to hire more women engineers once they graduate. Because, women are vastly outnumbered by men in technical jobs to about 3:1 and that is why sometimes it is necessary to give a shout-out to these female Engineers.
Like it was mentioned, there are so many but in this list we present to you, 10 Inspirational Female Engineers In The World.

10) Erica Baker.

Company: Slack.

Title: Senior engineer.

Erica Baker is an advocate for diversity and inclusion in tech and for expanding access to tech education.

Erica started her career in tech doing domain registrations for University of Alaska Statewide System before joining Google in 2006. She joined Slack in 2015 and currently serves as a tech mentor for Black Girls Code.

She was also included in WIRED Magazine’s 2016 Next List. Erica is currently based in Oakland, California.

The inspiring part of Erica’s career is how she landed a top engineering job at Slack. Erica Baker made headlines when she wrote a post on Medium titled “The Other Side of Diversity” in November 2014. She talked about how difficult it was for a black woman to rise up in Silicon Valley.

At that time Erica was an engineer at Google “I know this: I am not my job. I am not my industry or its stereotypes. I am a black woman who happens to work in the tech industry. I don’t need to change to fit within my industry. My industry needs to change to make everyone feel included and accepted,” Baker wrote.

Reports from leading tech firms reveal that, on average, 71% of employees are men, 29% are women, 60% identify as white, 23% Asian, 8% Latino, and 7% black.

After staying at Google a few more months, she landed a job at Slack as a build-and-release engineer in May 2015.

Read her full story here.>>>http://finance.yahoo.com/news/slack-senior-engineer-erica-baker-stewart-butterfield-diversity-in-tech-silicon-valley-154010403.html

9) Avni Shah.

Company: Google.

Title: Director, Product management.

Shah graduated from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology with a B.Sc in Computer Science, she heads up heads up Chrome development at Google. She was one of the few women to have given a presentation at Google’s Developer conference I/O. Most especially because Google is really trying to close the gap between men and women in tech and it needed to show that by show casing some of its women engineers in top leadership position.

Her LinkedIn profile.>>>https://www.linkedin.com/in/avni24

cool Emily White.

Title: COO.

Company: Snapchat.

Emily graduated from Vanderbilt University, U.S. She has been a popular name in the tech industry for a while now due to her past work experience, Emily headed Business Operations at Instagram, then worked at Facebook on Mobile Business Development and Partnerships. Even before this she was Director, Sales and Operation at Google in 2009, and was promoted to head Emerging Businesses the following year.

Emily is a current board member of Hyperloop Technologies.

Her LinkedIn profile.>>>https://www.linkedin.com/in/emily-white-5ab263

7) Merline Saintil.

Title: Head of Operations for the office of the CTO at Intuit.

Company: Intuit.

Merline is currently the head of operations for the office of the CTO at Intuit and has distinguished herself as a leader in fast growing sectors of cloud computing, mobile, online payments and commerce.

Her path has taken her from engineering, PMing, to executive roles at Yahoo!, PayPal, Adobe and Sun. Before her role at Intuit, she was the head of global engineering operations for mobile and emerging products at Yahoo, where she was part of their massive platform shift to mobile

Prior to her time at Yahoo, Saintil was writing software and managing systems at Sun Microsystems, Adobe, PayPal, and Joeyent Inc.

Saintil earned a B.S. in computer science from Florida A&M University, Summa Cum Laude, and also attended Stanford University.

Her LinkedIn profile.>>>[img]https://www.linkedin.com/in/msaintil[/img]

6) Susan Wojcicki

Susan at her garage that helped kickstart Google.

Title: CEO.

Company: YouTube.

Susan is another top name in the tech industry due to her position as the CEO of Youtube. She graduated from Harvard University with an honours in Literature and History.

One great thing that inspires us all about Susan is that, In September 1998, the very same month that Google was incorporated, its founders Larry Page and Sergey Brin set up office in Wojcicki’s garage in Menlo Park. Before working at Google which started as it’s first marketing manager in 1999, susan worked in the marketing department also with Intel then proceeded to work as a Management Consultant at Bain & Company, R.B. Webber & Company.

She was the brain behind Adsense which is now Google’s second largest source of revenue. It was also reported that she was the one who asked the board to purchase Youtube, which was then a small-startup competing with Google.

In February 2014 she became the CEO of YouTube.

Her LinkedIn profile.>>>https://www.linkedin.com/in/susan-wojcicki-b136a99

5) Marissa Mayer.

Title: President & CEO.

Company: Yahoo.

Marissa is the current CEO of Yahoo, She started off as a pre-medical student at the prestigious Standford University, but after sometime she changed her major to Symbolic Systems.

Marrissa also completed her M.S. in Computer Science with a specialization in Artificial Intelligence and was awarded an honoris causa doctorate degree by Illinois Institute of Technology in 2009, for her contribution in the field of Search.

In her early days she worked at Google as employee number 20 and was the company’s first female engineer. She oversaw the layout of Google’s well-known, unadorned search homepage.

When we talk about female engineers in the World you can do without mentioning Marissa.

Her LinkedIn profile.>>>https://www.linkedin.com/in/marissamayer

See remaining 4 here>>>http://smartgeek.com.ng/2016/11/01/inspirational-female-engineers-world/

1 Like

Re: The 10 Most Inspirational Female Engineers In The World by yeyeboi(m): 4:13pm On Nov 01, 2016
Ok
Re: The 10 Most Inspirational Female Engineers In The World by Temitoppe(m): 4:38pm On Nov 01, 2016
inspiring
Re: The 10 Most Inspirational Female Engineers In The World by IDEALCASH(m): 4:21am On Nov 02, 2016
Re: The 10 Most Inspirational Female Engineers In The World by Tumikate97(m): 7:22am On Nov 02, 2016
Engr. Mrs. Joanna O. Maduka, the first female engineer in Nigeria.
Read more about her here:
www.nae.org.ng/fellows_profiles.asp?id=52
Re: The 10 Most Inspirational Female Engineers In The World by Lordsurh: 2:59pm On Nov 02, 2016
cool
Re: The 10 Most Inspirational Female Engineers In The World by Lordsurh: 6:33pm On Nov 02, 2016
ya
Re: The 10 Most Inspirational Female Engineers In The World by Jamaticulus(m): 11:38pm On Nov 02, 2016
Thumbs up to these ones. Not those cucumber feasting females.
Aaataa Cucumba Chidinmaa grin
Re: The 10 Most Inspirational Female Engineers In The World by Lordsurh: 8:32am On Nov 03, 2016
lmao
Jamaticulus:
Thumbs up to these ones. Not those cucumber feasting females.

Aaataa Cucumba Chidinmaa grin
Re: The 10 Most Inspirational Female Engineers In The World by Ademat7(m): 11:23am On Nov 03, 2016
inspiring! our girls be following *make up *Music *beauty contest; miss this miss that
Re: The 10 Most Inspirational Female Engineers In The World by Lordsurh: 6:44pm On Nov 03, 2016
LMAO
Ademat7:
inspiring!
our girls be following
*make up
*Music
*beauty contest; miss this miss that
Re: The 10 Most Inspirational Female Engineers In The World by Lordsurh: 8:45am On Nov 04, 2016
cool

(1) (Reply)

I Need Someone To Sponsor My Football Career pls I'm a girl / Top 25 Best Companies To Work For In Nigeria 2022 + How To Get Hired / Nebosh Courses Offer In Lagos (HSE)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.