Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,922 members, 7,828,205 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 06:13 AM

Lagos Prince Kazeem Eletu Odibo Makes History, Rediscovers Family Root In Benin - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Lagos Prince Kazeem Eletu Odibo Makes History, Rediscovers Family Root In Benin (4975 Views)

Yoruba's Are Migrants In Lagos, The Awori's Own Lagos- Prince Adebiyi / Ezelekhae Ewuare: The Crown Prince Of Benin Kingdom Unveiled In Edo (Photos) / Chief Tajudeen Gbadesere Is Dead (The Eletu Odibo Of Lagos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Prince Kazeem Eletu Odibo Makes History, Rediscovers Family Root In Benin by samuk: 5:04am On Nov 02, 2016
Lagos Prince Kazeem Eletu Odibo Makes History, Rediscovers Family Root In Benin

Chief Igbinedion, Esama of Benin Kingdom and Prince Kazeem Eletu-Odibo of Lagos State
The name Gbadamosi Eletu Odibo is a big name in Lagos. Until his death, the late Chief was the Traditional Prime Minister to the Oba of Lagos, a kingmaker. Winning their land case of 254.558 hectares in Osapa London, Lekki area of Lagos made them more popular and has made Eletu Odibo family one of the richest families in Lagos. While some people would say, it is because 4 of Eletu Odibo brothers drive the latest Rolls Royce Phantom and that has made more people to know them.
Recently, Eletu Odibo name has been seen and heard everywhere around Lagos, in one way or the other because of the way Prince Kazeem Gbadamosi Eletu-Odibo values the importance of the name and the legacy of his father in Lagos while he was alive.
Prince Kazeem Eletu Odibo is a business tycoon, who has done a lot of remarkable projects in the real estate sector. Prince Kazeem just won City People’s Property Developers Award for its contribution in real estate sector.
The young and handsome man is the last born of Chief Gbadamosi Eletu Odibo but he has a very big heart. Prince Kazeem is also a big philanthropist, a free giver.
Recently, the quiet and lanky Prince (Prince Kazeem) took a giant step to rediscover his root. He went back to Benin Kingdom, where his great grand fathers migrated from.
Last week, City People’s ISAAC ABIMBADE met with him at his Osapa London new house, called White House, where he revealed what made him locate his root back to Benin and how they welcomed him.
HOW ELETU ODIBO CAME TO LAGOS

According to Prince Kazeem, he said the connection between Benin Kingdom and Eletu Odibo started in the year 1600, when Oba of Benin then appointed Eletu Odibo, Obanikoro and other Chiefs to come to Lagos to crown the first king, which was Oba Ado. But the temporary Chief, who ruled Lagos before Oba Ado was Ashipa (1600-1630).
Eletu Odibo were known in Benin as White Cap Chiefs then. So when Eletu Odibo came to Lagos, they settled in Isale Eko, Iga-Iduganran, Lagos. Since then Eletu Odibo family have been in Lagos and they have not gone back to Benin. From that time, any Oba that died in Lagos we used to take them back to Benin to bury. It was during Oba Akintoye they stopped taking their corpse back to Benin. No Oba or Chiefs have gone back to Benin since then”.
Prince Kazeem also told City People how they got to Osapa Village, now called Osapa London, He said his grandfather used to stay in Itele in Ota. He had problem with child bearing then because they used to die before they grow up. So he consulted the oracle, where he was told to go and settle where there is a big Lagoon. That was how he left Itele for Osapa. When he came here (Osapa), he met a hunter with his daughter. The hunter and his daughter lived in Osapa as their base then, because Ojomu family gave them (Hunter and his daugther) for farming then.
The hunter accepted him when he explained what led him to Osapa. Later, my grandfather now got married to the hunter’s daughter, they had children and my grandfather also took another women in marriage, which was over 200 years ago.
When my father’s was growing up, he took after his father. He was also a herbalist”.
OUR RELATIONSHIP WITH OBA OF BENIN

According to Prince Kazeem, he said he knows how it all happened according to history. He said “Oba of Benin sent Eletu Odibo, who were popularly known as White Cap Chiefs then in Benin to come Lagos to crown their first king, King Ado and after Ado ruled from 1630-1669. We have King Gabaro from 1669 to 1704, and King Akinsemoyin from 1704 to 1749, and Eletu Kukere 1749, King Ologun Kutere 1749-1775, Adele Ajosun 1775 – 1780 and 1832 – 1834, Eshilokun 1780 – 1819, Oba Idowu Ojulari 1819-1832, King Oluwole 1836 – 1841, King Akintoye 1841 – 1845 and 1851 -1852, Oba Kosoko 1845-1851, King Dosunmu (Docemo) 1853 – 1885, Oba Oyekan 1885-1900, Oba Eshugbayi Eleko 1901-1925 and 1932, Oba Ibikunle Akitoye 1925 – 1928, Oba Sanusi Olusi 1928-1931, Oba Falolu Dosunmu 1932 – 1949, Oba Adeniji Adele 1949-1964, Oba Adeyinka Oyekan II 1965 – 2003 and Oba Rilwan Akinolu 2003 till present. These are the list of kings that have ruled Lagos till date.
Prince Kazeem Eletu Odibo said his father was one of those people that crowned Oba Oyekan in 1965. “Even when Oyekan had problem then, it was my father he ran to. He stayed in Osapa for 3 months before my father took him back and he was crowned King. So it was my father’s younger brother, Eletu Odibo who crowned Oyekan then. Our Uncle, which is there now, Chief Gbadesere crowned Oba Akiolu.

Prince Kazeem Eletu-Odibo in his glamourous royal attire
WHY I WENT BACK TO BENIN TO RECLAIM OUR ORIGIN

“So, when I wanted to marry my wife from Ishan, Benin in Edo State, before that time I have read from history that Eletu Odibo family comes from Benin in Edo State. So, I called one of the secretaries at the palace. I told him the history and everything. We now wrote a letter to the palace, my friend took it there (Benin Palace) and they asked me to come after they have read the letter.
When I was going to Ishan, I stopped at the Palace where I was told the history, that we are truly from Benin. They prayed for me. We then later went to Ishan, where we had the introduction.
When the old Oba of Benin left to join his ancestors some months ago, we wrote another letter to pay a condolence visit to the new crowned Prince, they accepted us with open arms. We went their (Palace) to greet him and from there, they fixed the date for coronation. They sent me an invitation for the coronation. Since I have been going to Benin they have not told me where my family house is but when I went this time, my friend, Osama now called Esama of Benin which is Chief Igbinedion. Osama introduced me to Esama of Benin, he said one of his friends from Lagos, Prince Kazeem Eletu-Odibo has been coming to Benin but he does not know where is family house is and he also wants to pay a royalty to you as the Esama of Benin. We went there on Wednesday 19th October, 2016 to Esama Palace. He was expecting Sultan of Sokoto, Emir of Kano and Ooni of Ife but we were there before they arrived. So, he had enough time to welcome us.
We offered him some kolanuts we brought from Lagos. When I told Esama of Benin that our family name is Eletu Odibo, that since we left nobody has come back to know where our Palace is and he (Esama of Benin) laughed at me! He said your family left and forgot everything, that the way you do your tradition in Lagos is different from here. Esama now confirmed to me that our family house is at Ibiwe road, in Benin, that the Oba of Benin, that has just been crowned has to pass through the road (Ibiwe) before going to the palace. He also told me that, our family is very important and popular in Benin Kingdom, that Eletu Odibo is not a small name in Benin Kingdom”.

Prince Kazeem Eletu-Odibo, when offering kola nut to the Esama of Benin, Chief Igbinedion.
HOW DID THEY RECEIVE YOU IN BENIN

Although, I have not met with the new Oba of Benin, I have to book an appointment to see him and that is going to be very soon.
During the coronation, they called my name twice, that “we use this opportunity to introduce the prominent person representing Eletu Odibo in the person of Prince Kazeem Gbadamosi Eletu Odibo."
A lot of people were there, Sultan of Sokoto, Emir of Kano, Ooni of Ife, Aliko Dangote, Vice President, Yemi Oshibanjo were there and all the eminent people around the world.
I was also introduced to the next crown King of Benin through Osama.
I really, really enjoyed my stay in Benin. I have told some of the Chiefs who came to my hotel room to bless me that, I would come back to Benin that they should help me to locate my family house there. I have told them, if I can find the family house that I want to renovate it and I also want to build my personal house, so that I can be coming to Benin from time to time.
I pray to God for His wisdom, so that I can do what I have in mind. May our ancestors guide me. All I want to achieve is to bring back that name where it used to be and also back to Benin”.
Re: Lagos Prince Kazeem Eletu Odibo Makes History, Rediscovers Family Root In Benin by bigeagleeye(m): 5:08am On Nov 02, 2016
cool I am not sure Lalasticalala will be interested in this long essay without source!
But then pls wake me up when he does!
Re: Lagos Prince Kazeem Eletu Odibo Makes History, Rediscovers Family Root In Benin by FreshBoss007: 5:22am On Nov 02, 2016
bigeagleeye:
cool I am not sure Lalasticalala will be interested in this long essay without source!
But then pls wake me up when he does!
dkt
Re: Lagos Prince Kazeem Eletu Odibo Makes History, Rediscovers Family Root In Benin by macof(m): 10:02am On Nov 02, 2016
that's nice. I'm also planning on locating the house my family progenitor came from in Egbe before migrating to our hometown (the place we claim now)

one should strive to trace his ancestry as far back as possible

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Roxy Amusement Park Kano (video + Pics) / European Distortion Of Black African History / A-z:list Of Oba’s That Have Ruled The Ancient Benin Kingdom((1180-present)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.