Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,523 members, 7,819,882 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:51 AM

Monster HR Personnels; A Nightmare For Job Seekers. Share Your Experience - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Monster HR Personnels; A Nightmare For Job Seekers. Share Your Experience (14654 Views)

N-Power Registration 2020: Share Your Experience / Civil Defence Recruitment: 2.5m Job Seekers Groan Over Tight Measures Adopted / Real Reason Why NPF Recruitment Of 10,000 Personnels Is Taking Too Long (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Monster HR Personnels; A Nightmare For Job Seekers. Share Your Experience by haibe(m): 9:00am On Nov 08, 2016
Adebimpe1:

Guy, grow up. With this kind of attitude no HR will sit more than 1min with you.

Change your orientation and grow up. No offence.

Well i have gotten up to 4 different jobs this year alone passing through core HR processes. So u really have no point here, you should be the one trying to be more professional in your recruitment process. Some bosses will fire you if you let potential "game changers" leave because of your style of recruitment.

3 Likes

Re: Monster HR Personnels; A Nightmare For Job Seekers. Share Your Experience by christhavemercy(f): 9:23am On Nov 08, 2016
Adebimpe1:

Did I? well, I'm sorry about that....

But then, as humans, we need a little motivation that looks like 'pride' sometimes. My intention is to motivate, that in-spite of hard and trying times, you can still be happy.

I understand you.. i'm sure we can all learn one or two things from your experiences. As a budding HR professional myself, I can tell you dat sometimes, some Nigerian HR people cross the boundaries on certain things dat should be left personal. For example Religion, I have been asked why I am not a moslem at one interview but I simply replied "because I was born Christian" on a normal day I would have argued dat Christianity is the true religion yadayadayada..

You just have to know how to comport yourself, answer the questions in a courteous manner even if its offensive. If you get the job fine, if you dont.. you probably dont need to be in such environment either.

*coughs* emm please do you guys need HR assistant or Trainee in ur company? Lemme forward my CV grin cheesy
Re: Monster HR Personnels; A Nightmare For Job Seekers. Share Your Experience by paragon40(m): 9:27am On Nov 08, 2016
Faceless forum shaa people just dey pour liesss... i single handedly did this. undecidedwho u epp??

4 Likes

Re: Monster HR Personnels; A Nightmare For Job Seekers. Share Your Experience by Setaje(f): 9:34am On Nov 08, 2016
All I know is, for a girl, it is better to be interviewed by men. Women hr are the worst set of people. In fact I don't no how women in leadership roles make decisions wiv out being emotionally biased. All the interviews I have gone for where a man interviewed me, it has always been relatively good. They listen to every details even when u derail due to tension and fear. Sometimes they'd even tell you to calm down when they see fear. I don't know if it's due to gender differences. But men do a good and thorough job. I don't no if they do the same to male applicants.

Women in the other hand, perhaps because I studied Psychology, I read their facial expression and every utterances they make. they start to make u feel like you are at their mercy. Talk down at you in a subtle manner just to show authority over the female applicant. They interfere in your response and sometimes try to make u feel you are talking rubbish. we are our own worst enemy!!!!

In general, interviews are just avenues to tell bogus lies. Interviews to me should be more conversational than theoretical. Ask questions relating to real life experiences. Sometimes your personal life experiences throws some light to who you are bringing in.
Even if those questions seem irrelevant, as a psychologist, I know those irrelevant questions throw some light into the personality of who you want to recruit. I applied for a job in an international firm, the kind of questions they asked me where not even related to what I applied for. E.g, they asked me for my worst life experience and how it has changed me, what is your defining moment in your life, describe a situation where u failed in achieving your goal etc.

Now this people are not stupid for asking this questions. They know everybody go through situations and u would not even have a need to lie about it. This is what they in turn use to judge who they hire.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Monster HR Personnels; A Nightmare For Job Seekers. Share Your Experience by drnoel: 9:41am On Nov 08, 2016
Heard those people are menace to jobseekers but myself have always had good experiences with them maybe cos wifey is also into HR.

I think regardless of how hard they might want to be the environment determines the mood. Another determinant in my point of view is also what credentials one brings to the table. I mean they would be nicer to someone who presents with a phd and years of experience and is obviously prepared for the interview as someone who comes with just a bsc with no experience. Thats what I have noticed so far as regards HR recruiters in Nigeria. Though some of em are just cut out to be nasty.

1 Like

Re: Monster HR Personnels; A Nightmare For Job Seekers. Share Your Experience by Nobody: 9:43am On Nov 08, 2016
Adebimpe1:
For those who think I quickly doled out my profile to "form", well you're mistaken. If a man call you "un-trained" and you just 'waka past it'll stick on you..

I can peruse few CVs.

Let's see what happens next. If my organization doesn't have seat for international candidates, I have a few friends to give the CVs to.

For now, drop me a line on my LinkedIn inbox to view your stats. LinkedIn: Adebimpe Babatunde .

May the peace be with you.

If you are trained, you will understand the need to control what you share online. The fact that you are a manger does not make you a competent HRM. Do you have personality issues, how does your six sigma affect the price of garri for the thousands of jobless Nigerians.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Monster HR Personnels; A Nightmare For Job Seekers. Share Your Experience by Respect55(m): 9:47am On Nov 08, 2016
Haven't been invited for an interview before. God dey
Re: Monster HR Personnels; A Nightmare For Job Seekers. Share Your Experience by drnoel: 9:58am On Nov 08, 2016
Adebimpe1:

I see you! 90% of Nairalanders only post silly comment and it's certainly clear you're at the top of the class. If you seriously think I need training on what you mentioned, then I will like to meet up with you to rate your level of IQ.

I work as a senior manager for The AES Corporations, a fortune 200 company, registered with the NYSE and generates a profit of more than 5 billion dollars annually, and about 123 guys reports to me directly. I single handedly recruited my own team, and led a project of $350 million to completion. My own team, that I recruited personally generates more than $5 million monthly for my company and please know, that I asked them "silly" questions during the interview stages.

I am a certified Lean Six Sigma Black Belt, a change advocate and process driver (am not sure you know what that means) For you record, there's not more than 20 ASQ certified Black Belts in the whole of Nigeria. So, do you still think I need your training?

If you're jobless, email me and I'd arrange an interview for you. Pls, be warned, I will only ask silly questions. The more silly I get, the more your chances of getting a job from me.

The first paragraph of ur epistle was the only one necessary the other parts was just blowing ur trumpet and was uncalled for.
Now I wonder if you as u say a manager and recruiter can't keep ur cool when provoked how are u able to recuit ur team without sentiments?
U forget there are many children on NL who are just out to annoy and u fell into such a trap. U also forget that just as u are a demi-god in ur own words in ur organisation there are also other demi-gods here on NL watching. Guy, u should have let it ride. Am just saying.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Monster HR Personnels; A Nightmare For Job Seekers. Share Your Experience by Nobody: 10:02am On Nov 08, 2016
drnoel:

The first paragraph of ur epistle was the only one necessary the other parts was just blowing ur trumpet and was uncalled for.
Now I wonder if you as u say a manager and recruiter can't keep ur cool when provoked how are u able to recuit ur team without sentiments?
U forget there are many children on NL who are just out to annoy and u feel into such a trap. U also forget that just as u are a demi-god in ur own words in ur organisation there are also other demi-gods here on NL watching. Guy, u should have let it ride. Am just saying.

Another trump on our hand, great guy but uncontrolled emotions

1 Like

Re: Monster HR Personnels; A Nightmare For Job Seekers. Share Your Experience by nmreports: 10:13am On Nov 08, 2016
@ Adebimpe1, excellent profile and very impressive too.
Your recruitment style can get you sued.
Silly questions will only get you lies.
HR is a scientific process not a gamble.
Watch out for passion, intelligence, communication skills and a hands-on person at your next interview.
Will check you up on LinkedIn.

@ Haibe, I admire the fact that you were not totally insolent with your responses. Great character.

3 Likes

Re: Monster HR Personnels; A Nightmare For Job Seekers. Share Your Experience by seuncyrus(m): 10:37am On Nov 08, 2016
Adebimpe1:

Move you ass up and take a life. In the midst of conflicts, God glory is made manifest. I've got guys who started off with as low as 20K and they, they control millions.
Stop shouting BUHARI upandan and dust your life, move up take advantage of the current economic recession to make a brilliant living. If everyone is eating Plantain, bring up cocoyam and sell it to them. Be different and you will start praying for Buhari. He's not my brother, neither do I hate him. But re-arranging our future for us...I'm sure you not able to see that.

brov you couldn't have said it any better . I see countless people like him on NL everyday blaming Buhari for their misfortune when they are actually the architect of their problems. instead of sitting down in one place blaming buhari , think about your life and take action . naira is 470 - why can't you freelance and earn dollars but no ...its easier to blame buhari ..silly people
Re: Monster HR Personnels; A Nightmare For Job Seekers. Share Your Experience by Aremu01(m): 10:56am On Nov 08, 2016
It's not their fault now When supply far exceeds demand... What do you expect?

1 Like

Re: Monster HR Personnels; A Nightmare For Job Seekers. Share Your Experience by vislabraye(m): 11:33am On Nov 08, 2016
peterpeteru:

Uhmmm. Lots my brother.
Last month, I got interviewed for a teaching position, a member of the panel whom I presumed to have been consulted was just asking me software and website development related questions. Technical ones o. It got to a stage I wanted to ask how those questions relate with the position I applied for.

At another interview, before the interview commenced, we were made to wait outside in the scorching sun. Then it began to rain, thought they would ask us in, for where? We had to stand in the corridor of a building nearby. In that condition, I swore I was not gonna work there even if they offered me the job.
When the interview started, none of the panelists apologised. The so called Hr was just cutting into mine and the others conversation.

I must add this, just last week, I had another interview, oh! it was wonderful. The panellists were well mannered and respectful. All applicants were even served snacks before being served lunch.

At the end of the day, did u get the job ?

I've had my own experience with these HR people especially in schools.
I'll tell you the few I can remember,, not really in chronological order.

1. Was called for an interview in a school some years ago. After being made to wait for more than 3 hours, it finally got to my turn. Well, the lady was polite actually and asked some sensible questions. At the end of the day, I got the job. Left there though. I was later told that we were made to wait long in order to test out patience.

2. Got another school interview. As usual I had to wait for long. When it was time, I wrote the written test. Some tough maths questions. No scientific calculator allowed and couldn't use my phone calc. We had to solve not less than 60 obj questions and about 10 theory questions where one will have a, b, c and the a will have i, ii, iii...
After the test it was time for teaching practice. Some two clowns that were supposed HOD for maths dept asked me to solve problems in polynomial. I did not used the terminology they were used to and the kept asking a particular question. When I tried to solve a question they asked, they said "time up."
It was so stupid. Upon all the topics in maths/f. Maths, they only chose to access my knowledge on what they knew.

3. The last interview I received was conducted by a recruitment firm. It was held in Abuja. Those guys were professionals. Before the test commenced, we were asked to take a light refreshment. After the oral test, we had a buffet grin . And at the end of the day, I got the job. And that's where I am at the moment.

3 Likes

Re: Monster HR Personnels; A Nightmare For Job Seekers. Share Your Experience by vislabraye(m): 11:45am On Nov 08, 2016
seuncyrus:

brov you couldn't have said it any better . I see countless people like him on NL everyday blaming Buhari for their misfortune when they are actually the architect of their problems. instead of sitting down in one place blaming buhari , think about your life and take action . naira is 470 - why can't you freelance and earn dollars but no ...its easier to blame buhari ..silly people

The same way people were blaming Gej. In fact, if you blamed Gej even though you could not get your wife pregnant, people will blame him with you. But 2day, if you blame Buhari what you'll get is insults. What is good for the goose he's also good for the gander.
Before anyone thinks I hate Buhari, I happen to get my greatest break during this period of recession. I just had to pray hard and think outside the box.
Re: Monster HR Personnels; A Nightmare For Job Seekers. Share Your Experience by geekybabe(f): 11:52am On Nov 08, 2016
personally I think the HR profession in Nigeria is pretty messed up., or maybe some organizations do not get it. Job seekers are not losers. But some HR professionals treat them as if they are begging for the jobs.

Its sad because there are hardly jobs sef, and the Job seekers keep increasing at an alarming rate.

I personally also feel that HR should have defined fields.. or areas. e.g An HR interviewing for an accounting/ marketing role does not automatically qualify to interview for a Tech role. The skills are different. You cant ask me stupid silly questions that are not directly related to the role i am applying for. If you need to access my psychological or temperamental behavior, there are a million aptitude tests to do that.

In the end you ask all your stupid questions and you still wont pay more than peanuts. angry

These silly and stupid questions they dont ask foreigners before giving them jobs and paying them in USD.
Re: Monster HR Personnels; A Nightmare For Job Seekers. Share Your Experience by Nobody: 12:36pm On Nov 08, 2016
christhavemercy:

I understand you.. i'm sure we can all learn one or two things from your experiences. As a budding HR professional myself, I can tell you dat sometimes, some Nigerian HR people cross the boundaries on certain things dat should be left personal. For example Religion, I have been asked why I am not a moslem at one interview but I simply replied "because I was born Christian" on a normal day I would have argued dat Christianity is the true religion yadayadayada..

You just have to know how to comport yourself, answer the questions in a courteous manner even if its offensive. If you get the job fine, if you dont.. you probably dont need to be in such environment either.

*coughs* emm please do you guys need HR assistant or Trainee in ur company? Lemme forward my CV grin cheesy

Spot on. Been calm is KEY tho
Re: Monster HR Personnels; A Nightmare For Job Seekers. Share Your Experience by Nobody: 2:27pm On Nov 08, 2016
I am not understanding tongue
Re: Monster HR Personnels; A Nightmare For Job Seekers. Share Your Experience by Aniomaman81(m): 2:53pm On Nov 08, 2016
The majority of HR professionals we have in Nigeria tend to be quite unprofessional in their approach and those in recruitment are even worse, they feel candidates are at their mercy and treat them with total disrespect!

I'm a HR professional, so this isn't some outsider and when I moved back to Nigeria, it was so glaring that we do need a change in that professional, but sometimes I don't blame those "HR Professionals" though but the people who put them in those positions; you employ someone straight out of school with training in sciences and engineering and put them in a "HR Consultant" role, the one that baffles me is how we bandy the word "Consultant" around so easily...Seriously how do you expect such a person to deliver with the same emotional intelligence as someone who has the requisite training and experience in the profession.

I remember my interview with a popular bank when I just returned to Nigeria 5 years; the then ED (He's risen higher now) saw my profile on Linkedin and sent me a message to ask if I was interested in a job within his HR team, I readily accepted and he asked someone in the team to contact me. I think the Senior HR Managers were probably pissed that my CV came from the top, however I didn't know the ED from nowhere. After a humilating interview, where they didn't ask the most remote questions to what my role was meant to entail, I was shocked when a friend who I didn't inform of this interview called to tell me how I performed and that they didn't want to offer me the job; I was shocked at the lack of confidentiality with the HR Managers.

Competency based approach of interviewing is a good way of seeking out answers from candidates and not asking them "silly questions" as that doesn't give you any indication of what this person is bringing to the role; For the Bros who boasted about it on this thread, I do hope your organisation doesn't come across your post.

HR professionals in Nigeria need to step up though and make the candidate and colleagues experience a lot better for all, it takes nothing away from you!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Monster HR Personnels; A Nightmare For Job Seekers. Share Your Experience by piagetskinner(m): 3:03pm On Nov 08, 2016
Most HR personnels don't know their jobs....
Re: Monster HR Personnels; A Nightmare For Job Seekers. Share Your Experience by ymx(m): 5:51pm On Nov 08, 2016
Adebimpe1:
Very funny how we all want to be employed but are not willing to answer simple questions. If I had a company and I'm willing to recruit new guys, I certainly will ask questions, regarded as "dumb" by candidates. These "dumb" questions are simply meant to test you psychological limits, how far you can stretch emotionally, and also to see if you've got anything to hide.

It is not an offence, neither is it "personal" to ask candidates if he/she takes alcohol, even though the job has nothing to do with alcohol. I wouldn't employ a dirty drinker, or someone who feels relationship questions are personal, and should not be asked in interviews. If I wanted to recruit for a certain position, I will go as far as asking silly questions, to see how the candidate would handle issues in a tight situation, especially if the situation has to do with his/her ego. I will never employ someone who gets angry at the slightest push, thereby making me lose clients and customers.

I once attended one interview and the HR guy asked what I was doing in school that I graduated with 2:2 when my mates were breezing past 2:1. Well, I blew it and asked him; "what was your own grade"? and I did lose the Job that would have gotten me 275K monthly as at 2009.

Bottom line: Be humble, be patient, answer all questions like your close pally asked you. With that, it will seem normal and they will even love you for being so natural, and the job will be yours.

It is not appropriate no matter what you are testing for to ask candidates personal and unrelated questions during interview. It is grossly a lack of employment laws or HR professionals not adhering to employment laws. By asking personal questions or questions not related to the job, you are opening your organization up for legal law suit. Well again, I am referring to a system that works and I not even sure folks have rights in Nigeria, so anything goes. That is why HR people would ask questions unrelated to the job and get away with it.

1 Like

Re: Monster HR Personnels; A Nightmare For Job Seekers. Share Your Experience by Whytdot(f): 7:47pm On Nov 08, 2016
Lol, wawu...This is absolutely unnecessary
Adebimpe1:

I see you! 90% of Nairalanders only post silly comment and it's certainly clear you're at the top of the class. If you seriously think I need training on what you mentioned, then I will like to meet up with you to rate your level of IQ.

I work as a senior manager for The AES Corporations, a fortune 200 company, registered with the NYSE and generates a profit of more than 5 billion dollars annually, and about 123 guys reports to me directly. I single handedly recruited my own team, and led a project of $350 million to completion. My own team, that I recruited personally generates more than $5 million monthly for my company and please know, that I asked them "silly" questions during the interview stages.

I am a certified Lean Six Sigma Black Belt, a change advocate and process driver (am not sure you know what that means) For you record, there's not more than 20 ASQ certified Black Belts in the whole of Nigeria. So, do you still think I need your training?

If you're jobless, email me and I'd arrange an interview for you. Pls, be warned, I will only ask silly questions. The more silly I get, the more your chances of getting a job from me.

Re: Monster HR Personnels; A Nightmare For Job Seekers. Share Your Experience by ymx(m): 8:20pm On Nov 08, 2016
Whytdot:
Lol, wawu...This is absolutely unnecessary

Guys don't take Adebimpe too seriously. He attended LASU, what do you expect?? LOL

1 Like

Re: Monster HR Personnels; A Nightmare For Job Seekers. Share Your Experience by ymx(m): 8:28pm On Nov 08, 2016
Adebimpe1:

Well, I am a Sr. HR professional and I work for a fortune 5 company with revenue of approx $200 billion annually. I can tell you for a fact that asking unprofessional and personal questions in an interview is crossing the line.

I can see your company's HQ is in Virginia, USA.. I don't think you are representing them well with your comments on social media admitting to ask unrelated and personal questions during interview. You need to be careful!!

2 Likes

Re: Monster HR Personnels; A Nightmare For Job Seekers. Share Your Experience by Zirah: 8:41pm On Nov 08, 2016
Are you kidding me? Pls which school did you finish from..cos your grammar is wack!

ymx:

Guys don't take Adebimpe too seriously. He attended LASU, what do you expect?? LOL
ymx:

ymx:

It is not appropriate not matter what you are testing for to ask candidates personal and related questions during interview. It is grossly a lack of employment laws or HR professionals not adhering to employment laws. By asking personal questions or questions not related to the job, you are opening your organization up for legal law suit. Well again, I am referring to a system that works and I not even sure folks have rights in Nigeria, so anything goes. That is why HR people would ask questions unrelated to the job and get away with it.

Re: Monster HR Personnels; A Nightmare For Job Seekers. Share Your Experience by chimacee(m): 8:54pm On Nov 08, 2016
vislabraye:

At the end of the day, did u get the job ?
I've had my own experience with these HR people especially in schools.
I'll tell you the few I can remember,, not really in chronological order.
1. Was called for an interview in a school some years ago. After being made to wait for more than 3 hours, it finally got to my turn. Well, the lady was polite actually and asked some sensible questions. At the end of the day, I got the job. Left there though. I was later told that we were made to wait long in order to test out patience.
2. Got another school interview. As usual I had to wait for long. When it was time, I wrote the written test. Some tough maths questions. No scientific calculator allowed and couldn't use my phone calc. We had to solve not less than 60 obj questions and about 10 theory questions where one will have a, b, c and the a will have i, ii, iii...
After the test it was time for teaching practice. Some two clowns that were supposed HOD for maths dept asked me to solve problems in polynomial. I did not used the terminology they were used to and the kept asking a particular question. When I tried to solve a question they asked, they said "time up."
It was so stupid. Upon all the topics in maths/f. Maths, they only chose to access my knowledge on what they knew.
3. The last interview I received was conducted by a recruitment firm. It was held in Abuja. Those guys were professionals. Before the test commenced, we were asked to take a light refreshment. After the oral test, we had a buffet grin . And at the end of the day, I got the job. And that's where I am at the moment.

Please, is there any entry level/graduate trainee position open in the Abuja place where you are now? Cos I'm in need of a job in Abuja. Please help if you can. My email address is chimaceedj@yahoo.com if you'd like to contact me. Thank you very much
Re: Monster HR Personnels; A Nightmare For Job Seekers. Share Your Experience by vislabraye(m): 9:07pm On Nov 08, 2016
chimacee:

Please, is there any entry level/graduate trainee position open in the Abuja place where you are now? Cos I'm in need of a job in Abuja. Please help if you can. My email address is chimaceedj@yahoo.com if you'd like to contact me. Thank you very much

My brother, don't lose hope. There's nothing I can do but what I'll advise you is to pray and believe in God. It wasn't easy for me but I never stopped believing. Just keep improving yourself and do all that needs to be done.
Re: Monster HR Personnels; A Nightmare For Job Seekers. Share Your Experience by manopaka(m): 11:33pm On Nov 08, 2016
Adebimpe1:

Hello Sir,I am Henry Paul. Your post here caught my attention: I am an elect elect Engr.I just ended a contract job as Field/Control Room Operator with a power generation company (Engro Power Services),powering NNPC through Gas turbines.I've got yrs of experience.
I would really cherish an opportunity to communicate with you, and see the possibility of an opportunity to be engaged or to meet with prospective employers.
Thanks in anticipation. My num:07033566240 , 08059482599. henroskipauloski@gmail.com
Re: Monster HR Personnels; A Nightmare For Job Seekers. Share Your Experience by Nobody: 7:11pm On Nov 09, 2016
I haven't been to a lot of interviews but I had one horrible experience. I wasn't even allowed to meet the HR.

So I saw an advertisement for an Indian company for a receptionist and since I was on holiday at that time, I thought it would be a great way to earn some cash. Now, the ad had a number and an email address to it. Instead of just sending my CV. I called the number, asked a few questions to clarify and informed the person that I would be sending in my CV. I sent in my CV and sent a text message to alert the person to look at it.
The lady calls me back and asks me to come for an interview. I MADE IT CLEAR that was a nursing student and I had no experience or whatsoever. She told me it was fine and that I should just come for the interview the next day. When the lady sent me the location, I once again told her that I was still a student and I had no experience and she reassured me that it was okay.

The next day came, I woke up very early, put on my nice abaya and matched my shoes with my bag.
Finding the location wasn't so easy but I found the company. I walked in there and met the lady who was already expecting me. I handed in a copy of my CV and she went through it and said.... oh you are nurse? I was like ewo leleyi/ what is this?
I responded saying that I was a nursing student.
Then she says oh I am sorry we can't hire you. This is a full time job.

I was just thinking..... what!!?? Are you serious? Didn't you have a look at my CV? I literally called and sent in a text!!

I asked if I could at least attend the interview and she was like no. I'm sorry.

Honestly, at that point I thought of creating a scene and giving the receptionist/lady a piece of my mind but then I thought ...ha contact17 if you embarrass yourself that your problem.. you know you aren't sharp- tongued..... if all these Indians decided to insult you now... you are pretty much OYO.

So I kukuma respected myself, carried my bag with my matching shoes, and left the midst of the other applicants who were already looking at me.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Monster HR Personnels; A Nightmare For Job Seekers. Share Your Experience by Adebimpe1(m): 9:40pm On Nov 09, 2016
A Senior HR professional who think asking personal questions are wrong really needs to buckle up. Organizations differ, and questions relating to the job being interviewed for are to be asked, as the case may be.

But then, you don't just ask questions relating to the job alone. It is quite advisable to get to know the candidates you're interviewing. No one will ask you about your family problems, how many times you've been with a woman, or other nasty questions. But questions relating to alcohol, drugs, temper-based, psychological, emotional and stress-related questions are often times viewed as personal questions.

Most job seekers do not actually understand what personal questions are. A candidates that sees "how often do you take alcohol" questions as being personal and decline to answer, will certainly get drunk to the plant, gets himself killed and put the lives of others at risk.

As a professional in the HR, you will not want to recruit someone with anger problems. Most times, candidates lose the chance of getting a well paid job because they refuse to answer certain question. Most candidates even sees "why did you graduate with 2-2 when your mates had 1st class" questions as personal. Not all interviews require job-based questions. As a professional. I only need to ask you two questions that only people very experienced in the field will know. You guys in the HR often ask unrelated questions, and ends up recruiting the wrong guys who ends up destroying the whole job.

As for my post, I used the word "silly" to emphasize on it being used by the young man who replied me. The questions that I have mentioned above are seen as "silly" by most Nigerian job seekers. I was like that until I lost several offers.

Finally, I represent my company in good light, even though you're fighting hard to believe that.

ymx:

Well, I am a Sr. HR professional and I work for a fortune 5 company with revenue of approx $200 billion annually. I can tell you for a fact that asking unprofessional and personal questions in an interview is crossing the line.

I can see your company's HQ is in Virginia, USA.. I don't think you are representing them well with your comments on social media admitting to ask unrelated and personal questions during interview. You need to be careful!!
Re: Monster HR Personnels; A Nightmare For Job Seekers. Share Your Experience by Aniomaman81(m): 9:51am On Nov 10, 2016
Have you heard the saying, 'Quit while you are ahead' ? That's the advice I would give to you at this stage. In an earlier post, you said the sillier the questions gets, the closer the person is to getting a job from you.

I don't know the HR professionals whom you've worked with who recruit the wrong guys and end up 'destroying the whole job' but I hope it isn't the HR team at your current organisation; you have put your Linkedin name on here and you should really be mindful of what you put online, if you are truly a professional.

How personal can you go with questions at an interview before it becomes offensive, uncomfortable or downright against labour regulations? You can get away with it in Nigeria but in some countries, you will set up your firm for a law suit because of your indiscretions. Any professional knows that drinking on the job is gross misconduct which can lead to dismissal, so how does their alcohol intake outside of work affect their performance on the job? The average professional in the UK goes to the pub after work in the UK, so if someone takes a pint everyday, that makes them unable to perform in their role? How do you judge someone's temperament by the 'personal questions' you ask them at the interview? Do you understand there are psychometric tests which help bring out those traits these days, rather than you putting your organisation in trouble by asking what would really be 'silly questions'?

You really need to stick to what your profession is and stay out of HR and recruiting, because I would be worried as your employer with the calibre of people you must have recruited over the past years based on your utterances here; I'm a HR Director and my advice would be to keep details of these violations you are committing on behalf of your organisation offline...The Internet never forgets.

Quit while you are ahead...

Adebimpe1:
A Senior HR professional who think asking personal questions are wrong really needs to buckle up. Organizations differ, and questions relating to the job being interviewed for are to be asked, as the case may be.

But then, you don't just ask questions relating to the job alone. It is quite advisable to get to know the candidates you're interviewing. No one will ask you about your family problems, how many times you've been with a woman, or other nasty questions. But questions relating to alcohol, drugs, temper-based, psychological, emotional and stress-related questions are often times viewed as personal questions.

Most job seekers do not actually understand what personal questions are. A candidates that sees "how often do you take alcohol" questions as being personal and decline to answer, will certainly get drunk to the plant, gets himself killed and put the lives of others at risk.

As a professional in the HR, you will not want to recruit someone with anger problems. Most times, candidates lose the chance of getting a well paid job because they refuse to answer certain question. Most candidates even sees "why did you graduate with 2-2 when your mates had 1st class" questions as personal. Not all interviews require job-based questions. As a professional. I only need to ask you two questions that only people very experienced in the field will know. You guys in the HR often ask unrelated questions, and ends up recruiting the wrong guys who ends up destroying the whole job.

As for my post, I used the word "silly" to emphasize on it being used by the young man who replied me. The questions that I have mentioned above are seen as "silly" by most Nigerian job seekers. I was like that until I lost several offers.

Finally, I represent my company in good light, even though you're fighting hard to believe that.

1 Like

Re: Monster HR Personnels; A Nightmare For Job Seekers. Share Your Experience by Zirah: 10:55am On Nov 10, 2016
Adebimpe1:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Urgent Vacancy At Spectranet Limited / List Of Released Candidates For Consol 8 For Customs Recruitment / List Of Organizations That Give Loan Without Collateral At Very Low Interest

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 149
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.