Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,801 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:24 AM

Today In Ondo Town, Ladies Are Not Allowed To Go Out - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Today In Ondo Town, Ladies Are Not Allowed To Go Out (26626 Views)

Oluwo Of Iwo Denied Rumour Of Not Allowed Into Vip Area At Eagles Square / Meet Princess Taiwo Oyebolo Agbona, The Only Female Ruler In Ondo State / Meet Taiwo Oyebola Agbona, Regent Of Aaye Town In Ondo State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Today In Ondo Town, Ladies Are Not Allowed To Go Out by Nobody: 7:40am On Nov 03, 2016
[b]The 'festival' is called ODUN MOKO. It happens once in a year in ondo town. During the celebration of the festival, women across all age grades are barred from coming out in the morning of its celebration till evening when it would come to an end.

As a child, we were told that if you go out, you won't be able to conceive when the time comes. My grandma even told me that in the olden days, no cooking of food or any other activities by the women.

As a child, I remember that whenever this 'day' comes, i will wear trouser and tell my dad I'm now a boy simply because I hate being restricted. I guess the feminist in me started very Early.

I once asked the 'Lisa' of Ondo the meaning of this festival and he told me that it not meant to punish the womenfolk, but is done in line with the age-long tradition and culture of the people of the community.

It is on this day that we all know the importance of women in the Society because the town is always quiet like a grave yard. It's the sound of little boys playing football on the street that you can hear in the corner of the room.

Lalasticlala, is this another form of oppression of the women folk . Move to front page please [/b]

11 Likes

Re: Today In Ondo Town, Ladies Are Not Allowed To Go Out by alonzoiv(m): 7:41am On Nov 03, 2016
Though I'm not a fan of tradition, it's best to leave them be and allow them do their thing. After all, it is just for a day. To avoid stories that touch(the heart).

5 Likes

Re: Today In Ondo Town, Ladies Are Not Allowed To Go Out by whitebeard(m): 7:47am On Nov 03, 2016
what u are saying is that when guys go out anytime today they would only see guys..!! That tradition is gangster

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Today In Ondo Town, Ladies Are Not Allowed To Go Out by kinggogo: 7:53am On Nov 03, 2016
Africans n our traditions

4 Likes

Re: Today In Ondo Town, Ladies Are Not Allowed To Go Out by matrixme(m): 8:22am On Nov 03, 2016
Interesting development, especially as Nigerians now celebrate Halloween. We are a lost and confused people.

6 Likes

Re: Today In Ondo Town, Ladies Are Not Allowed To Go Out by Nobody: 10:12am On Nov 03, 2016
alonzoiv:
Though I'm not a fan of tradition, it's best to leave them be and allow them do their thing. After all, it is just for a day. To avoid stories that touch(the heart).
I guess this is what I will read here
matrixme:
Interesting development, especially as Nigerians now celebrate Halloween. We are a lost and confused people.
it's fvcking pesky
kinggogo:
I'm tired
whitebeard:
what u are saying is that when guys go out anytime today they would only see guys..!! That tradition is gangster
lol at gangster cheesy[

2 Likes

Re: Today In Ondo Town, Ladies Are Not Allowed To Go Out by Nobody: 10:12am On Nov 03, 2016
Lalasticlala
Re: Today In Ondo Town, Ladies Are Not Allowed To Go Out by lasisi69(f): 12:52pm On Nov 03, 2016
End time

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Today In Ondo Town, Ladies Are Not Allowed To Go Out by Nobody: 12:53pm On Nov 03, 2016
grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Today In Ondo Town, Ladies Are Not Allowed To Go Out by nbright: 12:55pm On Nov 03, 2016
What does it entails to be a feminist in Nigeria?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Today In Ondo Town, Ladies Are Not Allowed To Go Out by sherif4owo(m): 12:55pm On Nov 03, 2016
Its women's lazy day... no cooking, no washing nothing nothing... Enjoy your Telemundo

8 Likes

Re: Today In Ondo Town, Ladies Are Not Allowed To Go Out by blazetitov: 12:55pm On Nov 03, 2016
lol. This is the time that rulers get missing in schools most grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Is this another form of oppression of the women folk?

NO!!!

5 Likes

Re: Today In Ondo Town, Ladies Are Not Allowed To Go Out by telemapreye1(f): 12:56pm On Nov 03, 2016
What kind of slavery tradition is this?

2 Likes

Re: Today In Ondo Town, Ladies Are Not Allowed To Go Out by megareal: 12:57pm On Nov 03, 2016
Op, please explain, how does that tradition show the value of women in the society?

1 Like

Re: Today In Ondo Town, Ladies Are Not Allowed To Go Out by Lanre4uonly(m): 12:57pm On Nov 03, 2016
It is noted. Tradition & culture must be respected.

1 Like

Re: Today In Ondo Town, Ladies Are Not Allowed To Go Out by arsenal33: 12:57pm On Nov 03, 2016
kinggogo:

Every culture worldwide has traditions.

If you are uncomfortable, relocate to china (oh, sorry they also have traditions)

13 Likes

Re: Today In Ondo Town, Ladies Are Not Allowed To Go Out by Phonefanatic: 12:58pm On Nov 03, 2016
They belong to the kitchen today

2 Likes

Re: Today In Ondo Town, Ladies Are Not Allowed To Go Out by sylvar02(m): 12:59pm On Nov 03, 2016
And ladies going to Ondo today nko? Like my babe left Lagos this morning... hope no issue
Re: Today In Ondo Town, Ladies Are Not Allowed To Go Out by Saintbado(m): 12:59pm On Nov 03, 2016
remembered when i was still a student of A.C.E, during this festival females were not allow out of their compound, but i usually see females outside scanty though, maybe the braves ones

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Today In Ondo Town, Ladies Are Not Allowed To Go Out by samwizzye(m): 12:59pm On Nov 03, 2016
observing for no reason

2 Likes

Re: Today In Ondo Town, Ladies Are Not Allowed To Go Out by Mcobama(m): 12:59pm On Nov 03, 2016
hnwa

3 Likes

Re: Today In Ondo Town, Ladies Are Not Allowed To Go Out by ernimirah: 1:00pm On Nov 03, 2016
If the Male folks get to run all the errands and I get to just sit and watch. very cool #cooltradition

1 Like

Re: Today In Ondo Town, Ladies Are Not Allowed To Go Out by NaijaMutant(f): 1:00pm On Nov 03, 2016
Ok
Re: Today In Ondo Town, Ladies Are Not Allowed To Go Out by pembisco(m): 1:01pm On Nov 03, 2016
arsenal33:

Every culture worldwide has traditions.

If you are uncomfortable, relocate to china (oh, sorry they also have traditions)

9 Likes

Re: Today In Ondo Town, Ladies Are Not Allowed To Go Out by ogesonopt(m): 1:02pm On Nov 03, 2016
Yes Op, am in Ondo city as we speak. No women is seen outside till evening.

2 Likes

Re: Today In Ondo Town, Ladies Are Not Allowed To Go Out by sylvar02(m): 1:02pm On Nov 03, 2016
maxiuc:
Am not surprised. Afonjas and tradition
With style now human sacrifice go include

The evil done by them is why their roofs remains brown

E gò díè shá

14 Likes

Re: Today In Ondo Town, Ladies Are Not Allowed To Go Out by BIDOO(m): 1:02pm On Nov 03, 2016
Ondo is known for obnoxious fetish anyday,anytime.
Everyday is their festival day range from OGUN to OYA to OBATALA.
Only God save me the very first time i set my foot on that soil.

2 Likes

Re: Today In Ondo Town, Ladies Are Not Allowed To Go Out by emmalexabl(m): 1:03pm On Nov 03, 2016
This is not sophisticated but pure primitive practice.. ... grin grin

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Today In Ondo Town, Ladies Are Not Allowed To Go Out by STENON(f): 1:04pm On Nov 03, 2016
Loll..Gone are those days ...
Re: Today In Ondo Town, Ladies Are Not Allowed To Go Out by Nobody: 1:06pm On Nov 03, 2016

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Google in Yoruba / Oba Ewuare II Suspends Community Development Associations In Benin Kingdom / Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.