Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,771 members, 7,809,972 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:03 PM

Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? (26610 Views)

Culture Shock. Caption This Photo. / Is Wearing Western Clothing Forsaking Your Culture? / Have You Ever Experienced Tyre Burst When Carrying Mortar? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by lalasticlala(m): 3:17pm On Aug 15, 2014
Culture shock is the personal disorientation a person may feel when experiencing an unfamiliar way of life due to immigration or a visit to a new country, a move between social environments, or simply travel to another type of life.

I have experienced culture shock severally:

* My first culture shock was when I was 10 years, I went to Lagos for holidays, and was shocked to see Moslem women in Purdah. I nearly ran

* Another one was when I was serving in Bayelsa, my Yoruba corper mates were eating eba with stew used in eating rice. I was shocked.

* The one I experienced today as I travelled from East to North, we got to outskirt of Kaduna, I saw one guy bend down, I was wondering what he was doing , I felt he was defecating, but I was wrong, he was urinating bending down like women. I saw another boy do same. I called my would be host to narrate what I saw and I was told it's their way. I have never seen such before. It was a culture shock to me.

* In Nembe, Bayelsa, during my NYSC, they don't kill snakes, snakes used to litter around. We even saw one at the corpers' lodge where we used to fetch water. And the snakes were quite big and shiny.

* In same Nembe, they built public toilets on the water and when they defecate, the feaces would drop on the water.

* Another one was my cousins that lived in the Northern part of Nigeria before they relocated to Cotonou, when I visited them, I noticed they don't use tissue to wipe their ass after defecating. They rather use water. It was shocking to me. Even my corper room mate then from Benue state also did that and my Yoruba roommate.

* Lastly, Once I was coming back from Cotonou few years back, I saw something like sacrificial food items along the road at Badagry area. I was like, so such things still exist?

Enough of mine. lol.

Please share your culture shock experience with us here.

24 Likes

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by lorRhyMeZ: 3:44pm On Aug 15, 2014
As a northerner,born,bred and buttered I have experienced culture shock severally,mostly from places I have travelled to and even around me here in the north...for example;

1.First time I travelled to lagos,the pace at which everybody was going about their businesses was a shock to me..NoBody got ur time at all! Everybody looking for how they can play a fast one on u! grin. I cudnt stay for more than a week.

2.Next Was when I also travelled to Cross river,I dunno if I shud term it culture shock buh meeehn,can it rain in that town?! It rained everyday n people didn't seem to care...in kano we only get rain during rainy season na!

3.In the same Cross river,I found out that d gals were not as conservative as ours in the north,I mean as a fine malo boy,getting their attention wasn't a problem buh what came after was what I cudnt fathom..and do! They termed me a "Jew-Man"... Phew!

4.Then I went to attend a family friend's wedding in Okene,during one of their masquerade festivals. I was shocked at how able bodied men and women danced and followed a masquerade decked in rags n holding a fat stick it used in flogging them the followers...and they were happy! grin I was shocked!

I dey come mk I eat before I complete am...grin

43 Likes

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by ahnie: 4:00pm On Aug 15, 2014
Seconded...:*.
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by hugelyendowed: 4:04pm On Aug 15, 2014
Mod front page things o i have experienced cultural shok b4. in akwa ibom, if u r up to 20 years or more as a girl and u neva born, they wil b laughing at u

8 Likes

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by musaajebor(m): 4:07pm On Aug 15, 2014
i experienced culture shock for d first tym in my life when i was in d university. Back then in skool i decided to visit my friend from kogi state at his family house. I was shocked at d way they from dat part of d country lived being a young boy dat was raised in a respectable home where there is mutual respect for one another + parental guidance. I corrected my friend severally for talking back to elders/ppl older. He explained to me dat that was how dey have been existing pointing several references as examples.

The second incidence was a case concerning bushmeat. As for me, i have not eaten any other meat other than d regular beef, chicken turkey mutton etc only to find out some families eat birds eg dove bats eagle in fact almost all d birds dat fly were mentioned. Including idiot salamander cats . i found it very shocking.damn

8 Likes

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by Adeoba10(m): 4:18pm On Aug 15, 2014
When I travelled to Abia state (Isialangwa north) and i saw ladies riding bicycle and bike , infact, d husband will sit at d back while d lady will b riding it... I was surprised... U will see 2-3yrs children riding CHOPPER bicycle

34 Likes

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by lalasticlala(m): 4:42pm On Aug 15, 2014
Adeoba10: When I travelled to Abia state (Isialangwa north) and i saw ladies riding bicycle and bike , infact, d husband will sit at d back while d lady will b riding it... I was surprised... U will see 2-3yrs children riding CHOPPER bicycle

yea its common that side. women drive bicycles there wella

2 Likes

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by englishmart(m): 5:12pm On Aug 15, 2014
[size=45pt] I haven't experienced any serious culture shock.
But I've been shocking people with my weird culture.

A man saw me emptying some packs of bottled water into a bucket to wash my clothes. He was like " la ila a inla ila!

A pack costs about #900 and I used 12packs. [/size]

This is my culture!

15 Likes

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by lalasticlala(m): 5:28pm On Aug 15, 2014
another one, I just discovered that there are very few storey buildings here in Kaduna, unlike in the East where storey buildings are the other of the day. in fact it's as if they are in competition to build storey buildings ooo in the east.

17 Likes

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by bustyhelen(f): 5:44pm On Aug 15, 2014
Modes FP things. This is an interesting topic oooo. I wanna learn more about other people's culture ooo

2 Likes

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by Gboliwe: 6:21pm On Aug 15, 2014
lalasticlala: another one, I just discovered that there are very few storey buildings here in Kaduna, unlike in the East where storey buildings are the other of the day. in fact it's as if they are in competition to build storey buildings ooo in the east.
Its a competition for the people of Anambra state. I have heard Adults tell other adults during a rift " how many storey buildings do you have in osha? How many did your father build in osha?"

19 Likes

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by Omexonomy: 8:35pm On Aug 15, 2014
Their is this people from benue state who are having a very funny culture. A man who is a member of the family is alow to have s.ex with all other females being married into the family. To them a woman is being married into a family and not neccesary the property of the man only. A man can use his wife to entertain his visitors or brother.
According to edo culture at the death of a man all his property will be inherited by the first son no matter how wealthy the man might be.

12 Likes

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by Nobody: 8:48pm On Aug 15, 2014
Nice thread, Lemme upload mine.
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by lalasticlala(m): 8:53pm On Aug 15, 2014
Ceasar1: Nice thread, Lemme upload mine.

yea, am Waiting
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by Stillfire: 9:36pm On Aug 15, 2014
I can only remember one now.
A Yoruba girl kneeling to greet me. Gotta admit, it took me aback despite the fact that I know how huge the respect thing is to them. It just felt weird and I felt embarrassed, dunno why. grin I'm still begging her to stop doing it to me. grin

8 Likes

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by MizMyColi(f): 10:04pm On Aug 15, 2014

My own goes thus:

Where I live, their indigenes, when it comes to feeding can be so lavish on Meat! Chizos!!! shocked

Imagine a plate of 50 naira rice with 2kpomo, 2Ishan, 1Eyin, and 2Beef shocked shocked shocked

For 50 naira rice!!!

20 Likes

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by MissSlimbody(f): 11:15pm On Aug 15, 2014
Culture shock? Errrmmm, stil thinkin . I'm not easily shocked.

4 Likes

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by daveP(m): 11:47pm On Aug 15, 2014
Using eyes to talk to your children-Yorubas

Hausa dudes bonding and rarely mixing with other tribes anywhere in Nigeria (rare to see them mix, but the ones ive mixed with are very friendly)

Shaking with left hands before the hug ( maybe its not a culture, but ive come to discover ogboni cultist/Lodge members do that well)

the term ' washing' amongst Yorubas- buy car, u must 'wash' , buy house, u must 'wash, even buy bread sef, u must 'wash' ( i dey fear my people small)

those purdah stuff to me is foreign.

And finally must you pour Libation cos u brot mercedes benz. Before the car was invented, what was libation for? -a new baby?

Thats d lil ive seen and taken note of in 6yrs

7 Likes

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by Nobody: 3:38am On Aug 16, 2014
Interesting.

1 Like

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by maxism2: 6:36am On Aug 16, 2014
interesting!"!!! Thats y it's really good to travel around. don't limit urself to a particular location. when u confine urself in a particular environment, u wouldn't know much about other cultures around u.

a song writer said, travel and see

1 Like

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by hugelyendowed: 6:48am On Aug 16, 2014
mynd44, obinoscopy, pls who are the moderators of this session? I think this is an interesting topic that needs front page, thanks.

at topic, I was shocked when someone told me that in a part of Rivers state , when a male visitor comes to c a family, that the host would give out his wife to the visitor as a form of welcoming him, he will ask the man(visitor) to sleep with his wife .

I found that strange and shocking. someone can equally use this medium to correct this impression if its a hoax, somebody from that region should enlighten us some more pls.

OP, what happens if a stranger kills the snakes?
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by adebisiema(m): 7:01am On Aug 16, 2014
This are not culture shock oo. Stop derrailing the topic. Oloshi

3 Likes

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by lalasticlala(m): 7:05am On Aug 16, 2014
adebisiema: This are not culture shock oo. Stop derrailing the topic. Oloshi

who?
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by kenbee(f): 7:08am On Aug 16, 2014
Mine is;
(1). When I was serving my Nation (NYSC) in Oyo state, I noticed that their women struggle/hustle so hard to provide for the family why their men lazy around baba ijebu/lotto centres.

(2). I grew up in a state where mature Politics is played only to migrate to River state where recycled criminals practice cultism in the name of politics.

9 Likes

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by Wisdytech(m): 7:13am On Aug 16, 2014
It must surely happen or u know na heheheheheheheheehe
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by BUSHHUNTER: 7:13am On Aug 16, 2014
I don't understand this topic
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by TheBigUrban2: 7:14am On Aug 16, 2014
[size=16pt]This is pure ignorance.

The op's examples are not examples of culture shock!!!!!![/size]

It is a far more nuanced issue. Culture shock comes in stages.

Please, those of us who read international business should help the op

3 Likes

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by aladdin001(m): 7:14am On Aug 16, 2014
[size=16pt]NO CULTURE SHOCK...ONLY ELECTRIC SHOCK[/size]

6 Likes

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by adewaleafolabi(m): 7:17am On Aug 16, 2014
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by Buchukwu: 7:18am On Aug 16, 2014
RUBBISH THREAD..
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by hatux: 7:19am On Aug 16, 2014
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by eaglechild: 7:20am On Aug 16, 2014
Being the only black person on a long haul flight in a fully booked Boeing 777 flight was a funny experience.
When you get up to ease yourself you get that "oh boy you miss road" stares.
Have you been in a big city in one of those far flung places where a black person stands out like a stump?
Can be very unsettling till you just try and get used to it.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Why Are Somalian Girls So Beautiful??? / Pictures Of Four Oduduwa Monuments In Different Cities / Some Common Misconceptions Nigerians Have About Other Nigerians.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.