Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,466 members, 7,816,090 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:11 AM

Mermaids – Do They Exist Or Not? - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Mermaids – Do They Exist Or Not? (13298 Views)

Islamic Ruling On Eating Mermaids / Argument of Possibility And Necessity - Does God Exist / Did Dinosaurs Really Exist? Islamic Views (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mermaids – Do They Exist Or Not? by Nobody: 1:11pm On Nov 03, 2016
someone sent this to me claiming its a fatwa from shaykh munajid website, a question about mermaids;

Praise be to Allaah.

A mermaid is a creature that lives in water and looks like a human. As to whether it really exists or it is a mythical being, that is subject to further discussion.

It says in a footnote in al-Mawsoo’ah al-Fiqhiyyah (5/129): From the modern academic resources that are available to us, it may be understood that the mermaid, which is called Sirène in French, is a mythical creature that is described in fairy tales as having an upper body like a woman and a lower half like a fish.

See the French Larousse encyclopédique on the word Sirène.

The encyclopaedia goes on to say: The widespread notion in ancient times was that the wonders and animals of the sea were more and greater than the wonders of dry land, and that there was no kind of animal in the sea that did not have a counterpart on land. This was confirmed by Prof. Muhammad Fareed Wajdi in his encyclopaedia, quoting from modern academic sources. See: Daa’irah Ma’aarif al-Qarn al-‘Ishreen: Bahr – Hayawiyan. End quote.

Al-Dumayri said in Hayaat al-Haywaan al-Kubra: Mermaid: it resembles a human but it has a tail. Al-Qazweeni said: Someone brought one of them in our time. End quote.

Many of the fuqaha’ mentioned mermaidsand differed on the ruling concerning them.
End quote.

Now i remember reading from shaykh fawzaan about this same issue, and I remember it was the same kind of answer that was given, now my question is, do mermaids really exist? and is it exactly like a woman? because i watched a video from YouTube where they allegedly captured a mermaid, and when it was shown the face was white, as in white as white paper.
Re: Mermaids – Do They Exist Or Not? by lanrexlan(m): 7:59pm On Nov 03, 2016
Mermaids are myths just like dragons are myths. They only exist in fairy tales, tales by the moon. Like Ijapa tiroko.

To me, those videos are "videoshopped". It is like the video showing "an angel" descending on kabba!

But if they truly exist, since everything in the water is edible, Lexicon how about me and you having a barbecue of mermaid or pepper soup of it?! Can you feel the taste? cheesy cheesy grin
Re: Mermaids – Do They Exist Or Not? by Nobody: 8:21pm On Nov 03, 2016
lanrexlan:
Mermaids are myths just like dragons are myths. They only exist in fairy tales, tales by the moon. Like Ijapa tiroko.

To me, those videos are "videoshopped". It is like the video showing "an angel" descending on kabba!

for this;

"....and that there was no kind of animal in the sea that did not have a counterpart on land. This was confirmed by Prof. Muhammad Fareed Wajdi in his encyclopaedia, quoting from modern academic sources."

I tend to believe that they exist, although not up to the size or exact facial appearance being portrayed in movies like "pirate of the Caribbean on stranger tides" why do i say this, we've seen catfish, dogfish, horsefish, etc and these fishes i mentioned look like their counterparts on land although their sizes are smaller compared to the ones on land, so there is a high possibility a "human-fish" exist but might be smaller in size.

But if they truly exist, since everything in the water is edible, Lexicon how about me and you having a barbecue of mermaid or pepper soup of it?! Can you feel the taste? cheesy cheesy grin

It will make my day, especially the head grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Mermaids – Do They Exist Or Not? by Nobody: 8:38pm On Nov 03, 2016
lanrexlan:

LOL, brother..u na JAGABAN o!!! P.soup wey go give man catarrh..is good naa!
Re: Mermaids – Do They Exist Or Not? by lanrexlan(m): 8:42pm On Nov 03, 2016
lexiconkabir:

for this;

"....and that there was no kind of animal in the sea that did not have a counterpart on land. This was confirmed by Prof. Muhammad Fareed Wajdi in his encyclopaedia, quoting from modern academic sources."

I tend to believe that they exist, although not up to the size or exact facial appearance being portrayed in movies like "pirate of the Caribbean on stranger tides" why do i say this, we've seen catfish, dogfish, horsefish, etc and these fishes i mentioned look like their counterparts on land although their sizes are smaller compared to the ones on land, so there is a high possibility a "human-fish" exist but might be smaller in size.
Yes, you are right but the truth is that these animals and their counterparts are NOT PRIMATE. And moreover, human is higher animal.

Yet, we are yet to see a primate counterpart of an animal on land in the see. Have you seen gorillafish, monkeyfish, baboonfish et al. Since these animals are closer to humans in genetics and we are yet to see their sea counterparts, will it be safe if I say there's nothing like humanfish?

lexiconkabir:

It will make my day, especially the head grin
It will be my pleasure akhee cheesy
Re: Mermaids – Do They Exist Or Not? by lanrexlan(m): 8:48pm On Nov 03, 2016
RABIUSHILE04:

LOL, brother..u na JAGABAN o!!! P.soup wey go give man catarrh..is good naa!
Lol, which catarrh be that baba? Na good pepper soup better than catfish pepper soup. grin

(1) (Reply)

Why Islam Is A Religion Of Peace / Do You Observe Your 5 Daily Salat? / For He Who's Contemplating Suicide Or She Who Thinks Life Is Too Difficult.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.