Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,032 members, 7,841,921 topics. Date: Monday, 27 May 2024 at 05:05 PM

2017/2018 PTDF Scholarship Scheme (Overseas And Local) - Education (46) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 2017/2018 PTDF Scholarship Scheme (Overseas And Local) (630225 Views)

2018 PTDF UK Scholarship: Check If You Have Been Shortlisted / 2018 PTDF Scholarship China/France/Germany: Shortlisted Applicants / 2017/2018 Ptdf Scholarship- Check If You Have Been Shortlisted (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) ... (214) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 2017/2018 PTDF Scholarship Scheme (Overseas And Local) by DreManuel(m): 8:42am On Apr 18, 2017
guiddoti:
I think that PTDF is marginalising the local scholars. I am yet to read one from foreign scholars on here.

What pained me most is seeing PTDF giving scholarship to someone who didn't write the test or interview. And, most importantly, to someone who does not merit it.

I recall during my youth service in 2012, I had an idea of designing and fabricating a model Solar Dryer for Agricultural products in rural areas. Thinking that the Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development will be a condign sponsor based on the scope of the project, I approached the ministry with my well articulated proposal and budget.

After about 3 months of follow-ups and few weeks to my POP when NYSC was on my neck to deliver the project, I eventually got a response from the ministry and it was; "this is not part of our mandate". That left me wondering what the mandate of the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development could be if it can't sponsor a project of designing a Solar Dryer for Agricultural Products in Rural Areas. The irony frightened me. And how much did I budget for? A "whopping" NGN15,000. Enough said.

That leads me to your concerns: if we extapolate my experience to the LSS, we can see some parallels. It seems to me that LOCAL projects that cost so little sometimes are the most difficult for the decision makers to fund (whether such budgets are difficult to inflate and misrepresent, your guess is as good as mine), and some boondoggles get easy nods.

Again, the fact that the best Paediatric graduate from Uniport recently got ONLY a prize worth NGN 250 (yes 250 Naira!) speaks volume about how much we value merit in this land. Enough said.

3 Likes

Re: 2017/2018 PTDF Scholarship Scheme (Overseas And Local) by DreManuel(m): 9:06am On Apr 18, 2017
cc150615:

Actually I know quite a number of overseas scholars that still have some hitches with their payment too. I'm beginning to lose hope in the whole ptdf thingy....after all the hype we used to hype them.

I'm not trying to sermonize but we are in the same boat and since you raised an open concern I'd just say you can't afford to lose hope. "Hope maketh not ashamed." And as they say: "When the going gets tough; only the tough gets going".
What country did you apply to? Are you considering other options like funding from the school such as RA/TA?

I leave you with these words that cheer me up when I feel weary sometimes about the NIGERIAN situation and they are words of George Bernard Shaw;

"People are always blaming their circumstances for what they are. I don't believe in circumstances. The people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want, and if they can't find them, make them."

Keep Hope Alive.

5 Likes

Re: 2017/2018 PTDF Scholarship Scheme (Overseas And Local) by Nobody: 9:41am On Apr 18, 2017
toprealman:

Quote me, the merit list they release is only a mere fraction compared to what they actually sponsor.
guiddoti:
I think that PTDF is marginalising the local scholars. I am yet to read one from foreign scholars on here.

What pained me most is seeing PTDF giving scholarship to someone who didn't write the test or interview. And, most importantly, to someone who does not merit it.

The lss fraud is massively dispiriting. Back in 2013/2014, different schools hosted different programmes under ptdf lss.
Uniben hosted chemical engineering, university of Ibadan hosted petroleum engineering, uniport hosted petroleum geoscience, etc.

I wanted uniport and so I had to settle for petroleum geoscience, even though geoscience wasn't what I wished for. On that note, I downloaded and printed two petroleum geoscience textbooks to help secure the scholarship.

It is noteworthy that the exams for oss and lss were not merged back then. After the shortlist of successful candidates was released and oss wrote their exams, it became due for lss to follow suit.

On one fateful day, in the plot of still awaiting the lss exam and engaged in further studies, i decided to resume my habitual net surfing for general updates. Behold, I saw a headline about list of awardees for ptdf lss. I quickly contacted some prospective scholars to ask if they either got invitation or heard of any interview for the lss, but they all affirmed negative.

I felt utterly disappointed. My pain augmented when I bitterly went through the list of awardees to see some manipulations: the uniport awardees were petroleum engineering students, not petroleum geoscience!

After recovering from the shock, a former classmate called me to inquire if I would be interested in buying ptdf oss slot for N600,000.00. That was the point where I became totally broken

However, it is also true that there are genuine scholars in the ptdf scheme.

2 Likes

Re: 2017/2018 PTDF Scholarship Scheme (Overseas And Local) by guiddoti: 8:31pm On Apr 18, 2017
passedpawns:

The lss fraud is massively dispiriting. Back in 2013/2014, different schools hosted different programmes under ptdf lss.
Uniben hosted chemical engineering, university of Ibadan hosted petroleum engineering, uniport hosted petroleum geoscience, etc.

I wanted uniport and so I had to settle for petroleum geoscience, even though geoscience wasn't what I wished for. On that note, I downloaded and printed two petroleum geoscience textbooks to help secure the scholarship.

It is noteworthy that the exams for oss and lss were not merged back then. After the shortlist of successful candidates was released and oss wrote their exams, it became due for lss to follow suit.

On one fateful day, in the plot of still awaiting the lss exam and engaged in further studies, i decided to resume my habitual net surfing for general updates. Behold, I saw a headline about list of awardees for ptdf lss. I quickly contacted some prospective scholars to ask if they either got invitation or heard of any interview for the lss, but they all affirmed negative.

I felt utterly disappointed. My pain augmented when I bitterly went through the list of awardees to see some manipulations: the uniport awardees were petroleum engineering students, not petroleum geoscience!

After recovering from the shock, a former classmate called me to inquire if I would be interested in buying ptdf oss slot for N600,000.00. That was the point where I became totally broken

However, it is also true that there are genuine scholars in the ptdf scheme.
Absolutely, corrupt organisation. That's what they do.
Re: 2017/2018 PTDF Scholarship Scheme (Overseas And Local) by guiddoti: 8:38pm On Apr 18, 2017
DreManuel:

I recall during my youth service in 2012, I had an idea of designing and fabricating a model Solar Dryer for Agricultural products in rural areas. Thinking that the Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development will be a condign sponsor based on the scope of the project, I approached the ministry with my well articulated proposal and budget.

After about 3 months of follow-ups and few weeks to my POP when NYSC was on my neck to deliver the project, I eventually got a response from the ministry and it was; "this is not part of our mandate". That left me wondering what the mandate of the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development could be if it can't sponsor a project of designing a Solar Dryer for Agricultural Products in Rural Areas. The irony frightened me. And how much did I budget for? A "whopping" NGN15,000. Enough said.

That leads me to your concerns: if we extapolate my experience to the LSS, we can see some parallels. It seems to me that LOCAL projects that cost so little sometimes are the most difficult for the decision makers to fund (whether such budgets are difficult to inflate and misrepresent, your guess is as good as mine), and some boondoggles get easy nods.

Again, the fact that the best Paediatric graduate from Uniport recently got ONLY a prize worth NGN 250 (yes 250 Naira!) speaks volume about how much we value merit in this land. Enough said.
I feel your pain, bro. These organizations are scam, especially, when you have no god-father. What they publish on the dailies is different from what you get, deceiving people. If they say 50, expect 150.

1 Like

Re: 2017/2018 PTDF Scholarship Scheme (Overseas And Local) by toprealman: 9:24pm On Apr 18, 2017
guiddoti:
Sure!
I was mad inside but I could not act otherwise. one of them failed woefully. It is very shameful.
This guy failed like six modules or so.

6 modules out of?
Re: 2017/2018 PTDF Scholarship Scheme (Overseas And Local) by guiddoti: 9:36pm On Apr 18, 2017
toprealman:
6 modules out of?
10! my guy just come UK con flex.
Re: 2017/2018 PTDF Scholarship Scheme (Overseas And Local) by toprealman: 9:57pm On Apr 18, 2017
guiddoti:
10!
my guy just come UK con flex.
Eeyaa. Won't blame the guy sha.....na the faulty system!
Heard of one guy with his state government scholarship AND NDDC....yet guy man still no finish PhD. He abandoned the program.... family pressure cited!

1 Like

Re: 2017/2018 PTDF Scholarship Scheme (Overseas And Local) by Nobody: 10:30pm On Apr 18, 2017
I think i should mention, after much restrain, that you and others carrying this notion are in a sorry state of mind, with due respect. And i hope you will give chance to people who still have faith in the system to adequately prepare for the exam. Many of these people here will appear on next year's trend discussing on how to write the test again not because it is rigged but they kept rigmarolling instead of having 'just a little faith on the system, no thanks to the quoted text on this message. You must agree with me that the list brought out by Ptdf is merit ( about 175 of them). If the problem is how manage there are more people than 175 being sent for study, then maybe u need to know more. Ptdf scholarship board is a channel for awarding nysc presidental scholarship, tetfund, pressid of blessed memory and federal government scholarship or so. In as much as i agree with you in airing your opinion, i hope i have convinced a few people who would rather have been discouraged by comments like this. The system still works.

guiddoti:
Absolutely, corrupt organisation. That's what they do.
Re: 2017/2018 PTDF Scholarship Scheme (Overseas And Local) by DreManuel(m): 11:44pm On Apr 18, 2017
tundeloveday:
I think i should mention, after much restrain, that you and others carrying this notion are in a sorry state of mind, with due respect. And i hope you will give chance to people who still have faith in the system to adequately prepare for the exam. Many of these people here will appear on next year's trend discussing on how to write the test again not because it is rigged but they kept rigmarolling instead of having 'just a little faith on the system, no thanks to the quoted text on this message. You must agree with me that the list brought out by Ptdf is merit ( about 175 of them). If the problem is how manage there are more people than 175 being sent for study, then maybe u need to know more. Ptdf scholarship board is a channel for awarding nysc presidental scholarship, tetfund, pressid of blessed memory and federal government scholarship or so. In as much as i agree with you in airing your opinion, i hope i have convinced a few people who would rather have been discouraged by comments like this. The system still works.

Hi,

You just made some salient points.

But your statement; "You must agree with me that...." is extreme. I and others on this platform MUST not agree with you on anything - people still have the freedom to believe what they choose however puerile it might seem to you. Yet, I AGREE with you on one thing: we should NOT become cynical of the system and totally dismiss it as disreputable. After all, most of us will be happy to still receive the PTDF scholarship, and I personally I'm thankful the fund is even set up in the first place. So, I'm of the opinion that we should NOT speak ill of the PTDF but that does not preclude constructive criticism of it where appropriate.

Nevertheless, Mr. Tundeloveday, you sound as though you are a past scholar of PTDF 'cos I figure that some of your views are no way garden-variety. Cheers!

1 Like

Re: 2017/2018 PTDF Scholarship Scheme (Overseas And Local) by aphrodisiac(m): 6:54am On Apr 19, 2017
[quote author=aphrodisiac post=55575322][/quote]
Can someone please answer me
Re: 2017/2018 PTDF Scholarship Scheme (Overseas And Local) by DMainMan: 7:05am On Apr 19, 2017
[quote author=tundeloveday post=55693637]Ie]

nice one. Nysc awardees, pressid, tetfund and others are also run by ptdf.

It is different from ptdf aptitude test merit list. U all should just prepare for your test and try Germany and Brasil schools which PTDF suggested as it is free tuition and other free tuition schools abroad.

There is no money as before in d oil and gas with only few vacancies. People are getting sacked everyday. The Ptdf budget allowance have not yet been approved which is causing delay. Even oil and companies in UK who pay about one-third or half of international students school fees for UK students are no longer sponsoring as before.
Most oil and gas departmental prospective students have dwindled.

It seems many people will b pushed 2 local university and d suggested foreign schools which PTDF has partnered with due 2 low finance.

Only d best might b granted 2 UK, US etc

1 Like

Re: 2017/2018 PTDF Scholarship Scheme (Overseas And Local) by Anfieldboss: 12:19pm On Apr 19, 2017
I think it's the non-passing of the 2017 Appropriation bill that is delaying this scholarship. Let us hope the senate pass the appropriation bill by next week Thursday April 27 as they have promised.
Re: 2017/2018 PTDF Scholarship Scheme (Overseas And Local) by Region(m): 12:39pm On Apr 19, 2017
Genius000:
I sent an email to the administrators, and was informed by the administrators, that the exam will hold this month. However, they withheld the date saying it will be communicated soon.

I wish you all the best.
Re: 2017/2018 PTDF Scholarship Scheme (Overseas And Local) by Nobody: 1:29pm On Apr 19, 2017
timochie:
@ Dmainman pls can you send me recent past questions on English and subsea / offshore engineering, I will really appreciate. my email ogbechie.timothy@yahoo.com

oluwatolajolalo@gmail.com
Re: 2017/2018 PTDF Scholarship Scheme (Overseas And Local) by guiddoti: 1:46pm On Apr 19, 2017
tundeloveday:

It seems you are deluded with what we are discussing. Did I say it is not working? It does work but too many corruption. Having faith in the system is giving scholarship to who merit it. There should be no back doors of whatsoever, in as much as we are equal before the law.

Bro, each of these you mentioned has their budget, right. PTDF fund is not for Tetfund. Perhaps, Tetfund is for lecturers. Stop confusing yourself, thinking, we are discouraging anyone

1 Like

Re: 2017/2018 PTDF Scholarship Scheme (Overseas And Local) by dazzlingd(m): 2:11pm On Apr 19, 2017
Same as last year with several speculations, at the end, the successful scholars are currently overseas enjoying their studies.
This year will come and go as well and successful scholars will be studying overseas this time next year.

This is your opportunity, take it.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2017/2018 PTDF Scholarship Scheme (Overseas And Local) by DreManuel(m): 2:21pm On Apr 19, 2017
grin grin
dazzlingd:
Same as last year with several speculations, at the end, the successful scholars are currently overseas enjoying their studies.
This year will come and go as well and successful scholars will be studying overseas this time next year.

This is your opportunity, take it.

dazzlingd been making sense since 1447
Re: 2017/2018 PTDF Scholarship Scheme (Overseas And Local) by Anfieldboss: 3:03pm On Apr 19, 2017
Guys, would you advise I study the old PTDF past questions, I noticed current affairs were set prior to last year but only English was set last year.
I'm trying not to leave any stone unturned. Is there a possibility they might revert back to the old pattern and set current affairs?

Pls I need your advise.

cc DMainman
Re: 2017/2018 PTDF Scholarship Scheme (Overseas And Local) by dazzlingd(m): 3:14pm On Apr 19, 2017
DreManuel:
grin grin
dazzlingd been making sense since 1447
lol
Re: 2017/2018 PTDF Scholarship Scheme (Overseas And Local) by Nobody: 8:31pm On Apr 19, 2017
Anfieldboss:
Guys, would you advise I study the old PTDF past questions, I noticed current affairs were set prior to last year but only English was set last year.
I'm trying not to leave any stone unturned. Is there a possibility they might revert back to the old pattern and set current affairs?

Pls I need your advise.

cc DMainman

I think you already advised yourself by the expression, "I'm trying not to leave any stone unturned". Therein lies your piece of advice.

please can any past lss scholar assist in confirming if folks actually received the lss grant? testimonies of lss grants are rare.
Re: 2017/2018 PTDF Scholarship Scheme (Overseas And Local) by DreManuel(m): 8:49pm On Apr 19, 2017
passedpawns:

I think you already advised yourself by the expression, "I'm trying not to leave any stone unturned". Therein lies your piece of advice.

please can any past lss scholar assist in confirming if folks actually received the lss grant? testimonies of lss grants are rare.

You took that out of my mouth.....

IMHO, I don't think anyone here sets questions for PTDF to be privy to what or what not they are going to set.

So, exploring all possible question types will not only make one better positioned to ace the test but also better intellectually.

One love.
Re: 2017/2018 PTDF Scholarship Scheme (Overseas And Local) by DMainMan: 5:09am On Apr 20, 2017
2017 AFRICAN UNION (PAN AFRICAN) SCHOLARSHIP FOR PROSPECTIVE STUDENTS IN SELECTED UNIVERSITIES IN AFRICA (FINANCES PAID IN DOLLARS)

https://www.nairaland.com/3751590/2017-african-union-pan-african#55730654
Re: 2017/2018 PTDF Scholarship Scheme (Overseas And Local) by Fabnas(m): 8:01am On Apr 20, 2017
Good morning to the house. I am requesting of anyone dat has past question on energy economics and technology to help me with it. the course is new to me so I need to no wat the questions wud look like. the mail is rotimiolumide68@gmail.com. tnx
Re: 2017/2018 PTDF Scholarship Scheme (Overseas And Local) by makamasenrep: 9:02am On Apr 20, 2017
Please do you have the past questions for it in oil and gas
Re: 2017/2018 PTDF Scholarship Scheme (Overseas And Local) by makamasenrep: 9:05am On Apr 20, 2017
please do you have the it in oil and gas pq, it will be greatly appreciated email; makamasenrep@yahoo.com
delphuch:
i have not seen any IT past questions.. i could not find the mail you sent to me
Re: 2017/2018 PTDF Scholarship Scheme (Overseas And Local) by makamasenrep: 9:07am On Apr 20, 2017
please can you forward the material email; makamasenrep@yahoo.com
opeobats:

my email's opeobats@gmail.com. I would appreciate it if you could send the materials to me as well. Thanks!

(1) (2) (3) ... (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) ... (214) (Reply)

Nigerian Defence Academy Admission Processes..........68-76RC / 2016/2017 Uniben Admission Thread Guide. / University Of Ibadan(UI) 2017/2018 Admission Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.