Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,887 members, 7,817,613 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:31 PM

11 Most Expensive Dog Breeds You'll Find In Nigeria - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / 11 Most Expensive Dog Breeds You'll Find In Nigeria (7571 Views)

Top 5 Dog Breeds That Are Best For Guarding Nigerian Homes / Checkout The Most Dangerous DOG Breeds. / Most Expensive Dog Tibetan Mastiff (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

11 Most Expensive Dog Breeds You'll Find In Nigeria by DogLover24(f): 8:54am On Nov 05, 2016
Purebred dogs are sold for a range of prices depending on how well they meet the breed standard. The cost of obtaining a pooch is also dependent on other factors such as location and importation cost. This post focuses on dogs that are bred in Nigeria.

1. Tibetan Mastiff

The Tibetan Mastiff is arguably the most expensive dog in the world! which is probably why they are so rare in Nigeria although a few 'brave' breeders breed them. Puppy Price: 750k - 1.5 million Naira.

2. French Bulldog

This breed is a personal favorite of mine because they are simply beautiful and easy to groom. Acceptable colors under the breed standard are the various shades of brindle, fawn, tan or white with brindle patches (pieds). The most common colors are brindle, then fawn, with pieds being less common than the other colors. Puppy price: 250k - 400k Naira.

3. English Bulldog

Sometimes referred to as the British Bulldog or simply Bulldog, the breed is the official mascot of the United States Marine Corps. Bulldogs were the fourth most popular pure breed dogs in the United States in 2015 according to the American Kennel Club, they are not very common in Nigeria. Puppy price: 250k - 400k Naira.

4. Neopolitan Mastiff

We have had a Neopo before but unfortunately lost her at about 5 months old. The breed's ancestry is thought to date as far back as 3000 BCE, the beginning of the Bronze Age. Although Neopolitan Mastiffs are massive in size and look imposing the breed have low energy levels and can be gentle and calm. Puppy price : 200k - 350k Naira.

5. Cane Corso

Also known as the Italian Mastiff, this dog breed was developed to guard property and hunt game. The Cane Corso is closely related to the Neapolitan Mastiff. As puppies, they require strong leadership and consistent training and it is encouraged to begin socialization as soon as possible.Puppy price : 200k - 350k Naira.

6. Bull Mastiff

Bullmastiffs can be easily mistaken for Boerboels because they share some similarities in size and structure. The breed was recognized as a purebred dog by The Kennel Club in 1924. They are quiet dogs and very rarely bark. Puppy price : 200k - 300k Naira.

7. Caucasian Shepherd

This breed officially called Kavkazskaya Ovtcharka or Caucasian Ovcharka only recently became popular in Nigeria. They are territorial and suspicious of strangers and will protect their flock, family, and property from danger. This breed is not suitable for first-time owners, they are for experienced dog owners who can dedicate a lot of time to train and socialize them. Puppy price : 200k - 280k Naira.

8. Boerboel

Also known as the south African Mastiff, the Boerboel is one of the most common dog breeds in Nigeria. They were bred in South Africa as working farm dogs and are one of the most powerful dog breeds. Puppy price : 150k - 280k Naira.

9. Rottweiler

Rottweilers are also very common in Nigeria, the breed is regarded as a medium to large dog. The Rottweiler is one of the oldest of herding breeds, with a history possibly dating back to the Roman Empire. In 1931 the Rottweiler was officially recognized by the American Kennel Club. Here in Nigeria, the breed started gaining popularity in the 1980’s. Puppy price : 150k - 250k Naira.

10. German Shepherd Dog (GSD)

Probably the world’s most numerous breed of dog, today's German Shepherds descend from a small population of working shepherd dogs from Northwest Germany. Growing up in Nigeria almost everyone I knew had an 'Alsatian', the breed has been around here since colonial times. They are very intelligent, a trait that makes them desirable as police, guard, search and rescue dogs. Puppy price : 150k - 250k Naira.

11. Chow Chow

Although they are steadily becoming popular in Nigeria, a lot of people are still unaware of their presence. The fascinating thing about them is their thick mane and their purple/blue-black tongue. The Chow Chow is a dog breed originally from northern China, where it is referred to as Songshi Quan which means “puffy-lion dog”. Puppy price : 150k - 200k Naira.

Finding a full breed dog in Nigeria is sometimes difficult, always demand to see the papers and meet the owners and parents of any puppy you want to adopt. If you think i left out a certain breed from the list, please indicate in the comment section.

Source: WOOFLINE PETS BLOG - http://wooflinepets.com/2016/10/31/11-expensive-dogs-youll-find-nigeria/ You can head over there to see the pictures of these breeds.

1 Like

Re: 11 Most Expensive Dog Breeds You'll Find In Nigeria by Siberia101: 9:09am On Nov 05, 2016
Nice

1 Like

Re: 11 Most Expensive Dog Breeds You'll Find In Nigeria by AkProsper(m): 9:27am On Nov 05, 2016
Op picture pls

1 Like

Re: 11 Most Expensive Dog Breeds You'll Find In Nigeria by DogLover24(f): 11:07am On Nov 05, 2016
AkProsper:
Op picture pls

Sorry couldn't attach pictures here, please check here to see the pictures http://wooflinepets.com/2016/10/31/11-expensive-dogs-youll-find-nigeria/
Re: 11 Most Expensive Dog Breeds You'll Find In Nigeria by DogLover24(f): 10:35pm On Nov 05, 2016
Siberia101:
Nice

Thanks grin
Re: 11 Most Expensive Dog Breeds You'll Find In Nigeria by okikiosibodu(m): 1:31am On Nov 07, 2016
OP, great job you've done here with the great information you divulged. It would have been more interesting if you supported the write up with pictures of each breed mentioned here. You also should have ensured to stress out that the price you stated here, are for PEDEGREE dogs, not the non-peds.
I am still having a though time choosing between German Shepherd Dog, Rottweiler , Boerboel and Caucasian Ovcharka

1 Like

Re: 11 Most Expensive Dog Breeds You'll Find In Nigeria by DogLover24(f): 12:09pm On Nov 07, 2016
okikiosibodu:
OP, great job you've done here with the great information you divulged. It would have been more interesting if you supported the write up with pictures of each breed mentioned here. You also should have ensured to stress out that the price you stated here, are for PEDEGREE dogs, to the non-peds.
I am still having a tough time choosing between German Shepherd Dog, Rottweiler , Boerboel and Caucasian Ovcharka

Thanks! Glad you liked it. in the beginning of the post, it was stated that the prices are relative to BREED STANDARD. Also, I cant post more than 4 pictures on here, which is why in included the link to the post source (which has all the photos) http://wooflinepets.com/2016/10/31/11-expensive-dogs-youll-find-nigeria/

As per having a tough time choosing a breed, you should just do some research to see which breed personality and temperament suits your needs. This might be of help sha http://wooflinepets.com/2016/10/08/things-consider-dog/
Re: 11 Most Expensive Dog Breeds You'll Find In Nigeria by henrhiy: 12:47pm On Nov 07, 2016
breeds i can agree that cost dat much are d tibetan mastif & french bull dog.boerboel & rott average price na 80k,gsd don loose pedigree na im cheap pass..

2 Likes

Re: 11 Most Expensive Dog Breeds You'll Find In Nigeria by imeyalo09: 7:22pm On Nov 07, 2016
Get more infor about pet care here and also win a lots of freebies. Visit http://pethealth.top
Re: 11 Most Expensive Dog Breeds You'll Find In Nigeria by okikiosibodu(m): 8:46am On Nov 08, 2016
DogLover24:

Thanks! Glad you liked it. in the beginning of the post, it was stated that the prices are relative to BREED STANDARD. Also, I cant post more than 4 pictures on here, which is why in included the link to the post source (which has all the photos) http://wooflinepets.com/2016/10/31/11-expensive-dogs-youll-find-nigeria/

As per having a tough time choosing a breed, you should just do some research to see which breed personality and temperament suits your needs. This might be of help sha http://wooflinepets.com/2016/10/08/things-consider-dog/
As for conformity to breed standard, I am not sure it has more influence on the price of the dog, as it's pedigree detail would. A non-pedigree dog that meets up with breed standard, won't be as expensive as a pedigree that doesn't conform all that well like the non-pedigree. My point is: a pedigree dog will always be more expensive than a non-pedigree. #ItIsMyConclusionThough
I have gone through the URL, thank you. Is helped me in finally eliminating Caucasian Ovcharka. I can't cope with his fluffy furs, and the stress (and risk in terms of infections) of cropping it's ears. Also, it's rare to find a through Cauc now adays.... many of them have the physique of a malnurished German Shepherd Dog.
I love Boerboels (I love brindles more), but feeding them, na die. Dem fit chop house finished.
Rottweilers on the other end, I love the way the tan an black colouring on its fur is distributed, especially the mahogany dots close to the eyes, but the ones I see, usually have one comma or the other...either the shoulders are nw well formed, or the head is not box, or the dog is docile.
German Shepherd Dog, hmmmmmnn. I am extremely choosy with the especially. I love the sable-coated one, with a black mask on the mouth (I am indifferent as to slant or straight back....they both have pros and cons), and getting this spec is quite a huge challenge. The market for GSD as also crashed in Nigeria (I don't plan being a breeder for now, but atleast I should get encouraged when I sell of the offsprings). People will rather go for 25k non-pedigree GSD than a 150k one. If one goes for a 150k one, e might be tempted to sell the offspring at ridiculous prices, just to clear off the stock.
So my sister, please advise me
Re: 11 Most Expensive Dog Breeds You'll Find In Nigeria by DogLover24(f): 9:49am On Nov 08, 2016
okikiosibodu:

As for conformity to breed standard, I am not sure it has more influence on the price of the dog, as it's pedigree detail would. A non-pedigree dog that meets up with breed standard, won't be as expensive as a pedigree that doesn't conform all that well like the non-pedigree. My point is: a pedigree dog will always be more expensive than a non-pedigree. #ItIsMyConclusionThough
I have gone through the URL, thank you. Is helped me in finally eliminating Caucasian Ovcharka. I can't cope with his fluffy furs, and the stress (and risk in terms of infections) of cropping it's ears. Also, it's rare to find a through Cauc now adays.... many of them have the physique of a malnurished German Shepherd Dog.
I love Boerboels (I love brindles more), but feeding them, na die. Dem fit chop house finished.
Rottweilers on the other end, I love the way the tan an black colouring on its fur is distributed, especially the mahogany dots close to the eyes, but the ones I see, usually have one comma or the other...either the shoulders are nw well formed, or the head is not box, or the dog is docile.
German Shepherd Dog, hmmmmmnn. I am extremely choosy with the especially. I love the sable-coated one, with a black mask on the mouth (I am indifferent as to slant or straight back....they both have pros and cons), and getting this spec is quite a huge challenge. The market for GSD as also crashed in Nigeria (I don't plan being a breeder for now, but atleast I should get encouraged when I sell of the offsprings). People will rather go for 25k non-pedigree GSD than a 150k one. If one goes for a 150k one, e might be tempted to sell the offspring at ridiculous prices, just to clear off the stock.
So my sister, please advise me

LMFAO, nice analysis. So true about Caucasians, you should look for a very good breeder as regards the rott . Or you could just consider another breed altogether; maybe a bull mastiff or french mastiff (i love purebred GSDs tho, super intelligent). Subscribe to the blog to stay updated about dogs.. grin
Re: 11 Most Expensive Dog Breeds You'll Find In Nigeria by okikiosibodu(m): 10:34am On Nov 08, 2016
DogLover24:

LMFAO, nice analysis. So true about Caucasians, you should look for a very good breeder as regards the rott . Or you could just consider another breed altogether; maybe a bull mastiff or french mastiff (i love purebred GSDs tho, super intelligent). Subscribe to the blog to stay updated about dogs.. grin
grin
I don't like Bull-Mastiffs, I get disgusted with the short upper jaw (gives me an impression that they have medical conditions grin), I will stick to my Boerboel like that (eventhough Boerboel is an hybrid of Bull-Mastiff). I don't like the folds on french mastiffs too. I am considering getting a GSD, Boerboel, and Rottweiler when I am ready to own dogs, but what gender of each breed do I get? I don't want cross breeds. I am however skeptical about female Rottweilers 'cause all the ones I have had encounter with, are extremely possessive and jealous.
thanks for understanding my sentences. My phone's autocorect and I constantly fight for ownership over my phone. I also do not help matters 'cause I lack the patience of reading what I type before posting it.
I usually check your blog from time to time for updates but I have not subscribed to it. Ama subscribe now. Cheers

2 Likes

Re: 11 Most Expensive Dog Breeds You'll Find In Nigeria by DogLover24(f): 3:45pm On Nov 09, 2016
okikiosibodu:

grin
I don't like Bull-Mastiffs, I get disgusted with the short upper jaw (gives me an impression that they have medical conditions grin), I will stick to my Boerboel like that (eventhough Boerboel is an hybrid of Bull-Mastiff). I don't like the folds on french mastiffs too. I am considering getting a GSD, Boerboel, and Rottweiler when I am ready to own dogs, but what gender of each breed do I get? I don't want cross breeds. I am however skeptical about female Rottweilers 'cause all the ones I have had encounter with, are extremely possessive and jealous.
thanks for understanding my sentences. My phone's autocorect and I constantly fight for ownership over my phone. I also do not help matters 'cause I lack the patience of reading what I type before posting it.
I usually check your blog from time to time for updates but I have not subscribed to it. Ama subscribe now. Cheers

LMAO, you seem picky. Wish you all the best, when you eventually get a puppy please share his/her photo with the rest of us wink. Cheers.
Re: 11 Most Expensive Dog Breeds You'll Find In Nigeria by okikiosibodu(m): 10:27pm On Nov 09, 2016
DogLover24:

LMAO, you seem picky. Wish you all the best, when you eventually get a puppy please share his/her photo with the rest of us wink. Cheers.
Hmmmmmnn, that has been said by many grin
I sure will create THREADS on my canine companion when I eventually get one. You can check out some of my write-ups here

https://www.nairaland.com/3289738/diary-last-visit-dogbreath-kennel

https://www.nairaland.com/3294815/diary-visit-bada-kennel-ketu

https://www.nairaland.com/3379160/attending-1st-anniversary-online-dog

1 Like

Re: 11 Most Expensive Dog Breeds You'll Find In Nigeria by freezyprinzy(m): 6:52pm On Nov 10, 2016
Pictures haba op

Re: 11 Most Expensive Dog Breeds You'll Find In Nigeria by DogLover24(f): 8:55pm On Nov 10, 2016
freezyprinzy:
Pictures haba op

lol, sorry o. You can see their pictures here o http://wooflinepets.com/2016/10/31/11-expensive-dogs-youll-find-nigeria/
Re: 11 Most Expensive Dog Breeds You'll Find In Nigeria by RashidatJones: 11:42am On Nov 22, 2016
DogLover24:
Purebred dogs are sold for a range of prices depending on how well they meet the breed standard. The cost of obtaining a pooch is also dependent on other factors such as location and importation cost. This post focuses on dogs that are bred in Nigeria.

1. Tibetan Mastiff

The Tibetan Mastiff is arguably the most expensive dog in the world! which is probably why they are so rare in Nigeria although a few 'brave' breeders breed them. Puppy Price: 750k - 1.5 million Naira.

2. French Bulldog

This breed is a personal favorite of mine because they are simply beautiful and easy to groom. Acceptable colors under the breed standard are the various shades of brindle, fawn, tan or white with brindle patches (pieds). The most common colors are brindle, then fawn, with pieds being less common than the other colors. Puppy price: 250k - 400k Naira.

3. English Bulldog

Sometimes referred to as the British Bulldog or simply Bulldog, the breed is the official mascot of the United States Marine Corps. Bulldogs were the fourth most popular pure breed dogs in the United States in 2015 according to the American Kennel Club, they are not very common in Nigeria. Puppy price: 250k - 400k Naira.

4. Neopolitan Mastiff

We have had a Neopo before but unfortunately lost her at about 5 months old. The breed's ancestry is thought to date as far back as 3000 BCE, the beginning of the Bronze Age. Although Neopolitan Mastiffs are massive in size and look imposing the breed have low energy levels and can be gentle and calm. Puppy price : 200k - 350k Naira.

5. Cane Corso

Also known as the Italian Mastiff, this dog breed was developed to guard property and hunt game. The Cane Corso is closely related to the Neapolitan Mastiff. As puppies, they require strong leadership and consistent training and it is encouraged to begin socialization as soon as possible.Puppy price : 200k - 350k Naira.

6. Bull Mastiff

Bullmastiffs can be easily mistaken for Boerboels because they share some similarities in size and structure. The breed was recognized as a purebred dog by The Kennel Club in 1924. They are quiet dogs and very rarely bark. Puppy price : 200k - 300k Naira.

7. Caucasian Shepherd

This breed officially called Kavkazskaya Ovtcharka or Caucasian Ovcharka only recently became popular in Nigeria. They are territorial and suspicious of strangers and will protect their flock, family, and property from danger. This breed is not suitable for first-time owners, they are for experienced dog owners who can dedicate a lot of time to train and socialize them. Puppy price : 200k - 280k Naira.

8. Boerboel

Also known as the south African Mastiff, the Boerboel is one of the most common dog breeds in Nigeria. They were bred in South Africa as working farm dogs and are one of the most powerful dog breeds. Puppy price : 150k - 280k Naira.

9. Rottweiler

Rottweilers are also very common in Nigeria, the breed is regarded as a medium to large dog. The Rottweiler is one of the oldest of herding breeds, with a history possibly dating back to the Roman Empire. In 1931 the Rottweiler was officially recognized by the American Kennel Club. Here in Nigeria, the breed started gaining popularity in the 1980’s. Puppy price : 150k - 250k Naira.

10. German Shepherd Dog (GSD)

Probably the world’s most numerous breed of dog, today's German Shepherds descend from a small population of working shepherd dogs from Northwest Germany. Growing up in Nigeria almost everyone I knew had an 'Alsatian', the breed has been around here since colonial times. They are very intelligent, a trait that makes them desirable as police, guard, search and rescue dogs. Puppy price : 150k - 250k Naira.

11. Chow Chow

Although they are steadily becoming popular in Nigeria, a lot of people are still unaware of their presence. The fascinating thing about them is their thick mane and their purple/blue-black tongue. The Chow Chow is a dog breed originally from northern China, where it is referred to as Songshi Quan which means “puffy-lion dog”. Puppy price : 150k - 200k Naira.

Finding a full breed dog in Nigeria is sometimes difficult, always demand to see the papers and meet the owners and parents of any puppy you want to adopt. If you think i left out a certain breed from the list, please indicate in the comment section.

Source: http://wooflinepets.com/2016/10/31/11-expensive-dogs-youll-find-nigeria/ You can head over there to see the pictures of these breeds.

Nice Article!
Re: 11 Most Expensive Dog Breeds You'll Find In Nigeria by DogLover24(f): 8:57am On Nov 23, 2016
RashidatJones:

Nice Article!

Thanks

(1) (Reply)

Samoyed Dogs For Sale / CBD Oil For Dogs: 10 Things You Didn’t Know / Need To Give Someone My Male German Shepherd

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.