Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,146 members, 7,811,237 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:20 AM

Egypt Devaluation To Test CBN Resolve On Naira - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Egypt Devaluation To Test CBN Resolve On Naira (25338 Views)

Analysts Predict Naira Devaluation To N400/$ / Analysts Foretells Naira Devaluation To N400/$ / IMF Hints At Fresh Devaluation, Says Naira Is Overvalued (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Egypt Devaluation To Test CBN Resolve On Naira by pat077: 7:29am On Nov 06, 2016
So complicated
Re: Egypt Devaluation To Test CBN Resolve On Naira by Edoblakky(m): 7:29am On Nov 06, 2016
Why other currencies are being devalued in relation to the dollar is what I'm yet to comprehend. When will the dollar be devalued in relation to other currencies?

Egypt's reserve was $16B while ours was almost $30B before this administration came in. How come Egypt had a lower reserve in comparison to ours yet their currency had a higher value. How much were we spending to defend our currency and how much was Egypt spending to defend theirs?
Re: Egypt Devaluation To Test CBN Resolve On Naira by Nobody: 7:31am On Nov 06, 2016
mrvitalis:
Yes it is painful but i feel Buhari should allow the naira get her true value and allow market forces to determine price.. Cbn should stop selling dollars cheap... They should sale at the market price

When it cost more to import the to produce here then no one will tell the importers and investors to start producing here and this will create employers

Ever wondered why foreign firms with far much more wage bill and tax produce cheaper goods?? Because we had an over priced currency

if Dollar is out of reach for manufacturer. how will they buy their equipment. CBN should only sell to real investors.

1 Like

Re: Egypt Devaluation To Test CBN Resolve On Naira by LoveDecay(m): 7:32am On Nov 06, 2016
grandstar:
The proper economic tool to use is a float of the currency and it must be as clean as possible. That means that the exchange rate must be determined by market forces with little intervention from the government.

The CBN float does not make the cut. It's extremely dirty with the government fixing the rate at below 310. It had earlier dropped to 360 in June but the government intervened and made it less than 310. The huge disparity between the official and black market is the biggest signal that the float has been corrupted.

Buhari's mishandling of the forex market is the primary reason why the economy plunged into a recession. I have written off the economy due to his lamentable understanding of economics and his refusal to allow technocrats do their job.

Sidon there China has been manipulating the Yuan value in this same manner for years.

The US does not have such issue because the dollar is in high demand it will always be of high value. Countries like Nigeria et.al have to play hard ball if they want to survive and defending the naira is not much different from defending Nigeria's territorial integrity.

4 Likes

Re: Egypt Devaluation To Test CBN Resolve On Naira by Topmaike007(m): 7:33am On Nov 06, 2016
olamirewaju6190:
how does this helps change price of rice for market??
the pure truth about buhaha and our own economy is dat …a president who could not generate wealth for himself in his private business cannot generate wealth for you through government business. A president who had to take bank loan to buy his nomination form would definitely have to take another bank loan to fulfill his campaign promises!
so Nigerians brace yourself, he don talk already say make Nigerians who get any country way He FT go make dem run o
what is this one saying

1 Like

Re: Egypt Devaluation To Test CBN Resolve On Naira by onatisi(m): 7:35am On Nov 06, 2016
Re: Egypt Devaluation To Test CBN Resolve On Naira by rusher14: 7:36am On Nov 06, 2016
olamirewaju6190:
the pure truth about buhaha and our own economy is dat …a president who could not generate wealth for himself in his private business cannot generate wealth for you through government business. A president who had to take bank loan to buy his nomination form would definitely have to take another bank loan to fulfill his campaign promises!
so Nigerians brace yourself, he don talk already say make Nigerians who get any country way He FT go make dem run o
Let's just make Dangote president. Oops! He takes loans too.

1 Like

Re: Egypt Devaluation To Test CBN Resolve On Naira by onatisi(m): 7:36am On Nov 06, 2016
The bitter truth is This buhari government has created more serious problems for the nation than it met on ground. Now the dullard is going for a whooping $30 billion loan , debt servicing issues will crop in soon. In about 3-4 years time ,Nigeria will be back to the pre obasanjo era
Re: Egypt Devaluation To Test CBN Resolve On Naira by grandstar(m): 7:38am On Nov 06, 2016
LoveDecay:

Sidon there China has been manipulating the Yuan value in this same manner for years.

The US does not have such issue because the dollar is in high demand it will always be of high value. Countries like Nigeria et.al have to play hard ball if they want to survive and defending the naira is not much different from defending Nigeria's territorial integrity.

Do these countries have a differential between the official and black markets of 50% like Nigeria.

The present policy isn't working. Intervention must respect the market and not ignore. That is the problem.

1 Like

Re: Egypt Devaluation To Test CBN Resolve On Naira by daneni1(m): 7:40am On Nov 06, 2016
olamirewaju6190:

When last did u buy a bag of rice?

1 Like

Re: Egypt Devaluation To Test CBN Resolve On Naira by LorDBolton(m): 7:42am On Nov 06, 2016
olamirewaju6190:

Oga pls keep quie...you're dull
Re: Egypt Devaluation To Test CBN Resolve On Naira by Dolypson04(m): 7:42am On Nov 06, 2016
BTW I am still looking for the first person that will finish reading that epistle up there. Gone are those days I care about dollar-naira value. Wether it or depreciates appreciates, I still win.

1 Like

Re: Egypt Devaluation To Test CBN Resolve On Naira by Nobody: 7:42am On Nov 06, 2016
martineverest:
was really surprised to see them devalue their pounds...the recession is really bitting harder in many countries........nigeria is still better compared to others

most countries that rely on oil have their currency battered even the Russian rubble is not spared.

2 Likes

Re: Egypt Devaluation To Test CBN Resolve On Naira by rusher14: 7:42am On Nov 06, 2016
onatisi:
The bitter truth is This buhari government has created more serious problems for the nation than it met on ground. Now the dullard is going for a whooping $30 billion loan , debt servicing issues will crop in soon. In about 3-4 years time ,Nigeria will be back to the pre obasanjo era

Debt servicing at 0% interest.

Can you proffer a better solution?
Re: Egypt Devaluation To Test CBN Resolve On Naira by LorDBolton(m): 7:45am On Nov 06, 2016
Edoblakky:
Why other currencies are being devalued in relation to the dollar is what I'm yet to comprehend. When will the dollar be devalued in relation to other currencies?

Egypt's reserve was $16B while ours was almost $30B before this administration came in. How come Egypt had a lower reserve in comparison to ours yet their currency had a higher value. How much were we spending to defend our currency and how much was Egypt spending to defend theirs?

It's about the "source of forex"

Egypt has a thriving tourist industry amongst others, they have a lot of locally produced goods & possibly there closeness to trade partners (oil rich Arab states) helps trade flourish.

Sir EXCEPT for oil, what is our main source of revenue? If i'm not mistaken the custom service generates our highest internal revenue? Abi na FIRS?

Oil is the reason why our naira is crashing

3 Likes

Re: Egypt Devaluation To Test CBN Resolve On Naira by eezeribe(m): 7:48am On Nov 06, 2016
Financial Literacy Eludes many according to Robert Kiyosaki..
If you are among the Eluded majority, Quote me
Re: Egypt Devaluation To Test CBN Resolve On Naira by eezeribe(m): 7:48am On Nov 06, 2016
Financial Literacy Eludes many according to Robert Kiyosaki..
If you are among the Eluded majority, Quote me
Re: Egypt Devaluation To Test CBN Resolve On Naira by eejo(m): 7:49am On Nov 06, 2016
lies Egypt devaluation of it currency is a condition for imf loan it has nothing to do with cbn policy

1 Like

Re: Egypt Devaluation To Test CBN Resolve On Naira by LorDBolton(m): 7:50am On Nov 06, 2016
grandstar:

Do these countries have a differential between the official and black markets of 50% like Nigeria.

The present policy isn't working. Intervention must respect the market and not ignore. That is the problem.

Oga we still have to face "reality" forget these oyibo talk what did the last develuation do to our naira?

I believe it was over 350/$ before the first develuation? Did it work? NO!

Now we even saw 460/$ parallel market. That shows u the system is flawed, the market will always be distorted due to profiteering and hoarding by members of the supply chain.

That is why even dangote stated this current exchange rate is NOT The true value of the naira... it's being artificially decreased

So if CBN hands off completely expect 1000/$

6 Likes

Re: Egypt Devaluation To Test CBN Resolve On Naira by Ijaya123: 7:54am On Nov 06, 2016
grandstar:
The proper economic tool to use is a float of the currency and it must be as clean as possible. That means that the exchange rate must be determined by market forces with little intervention from the government.

The CBN float does not make the cut. It's extremely dirty with the government fixing the rate at below 310. It had earlier dropped to 360 in June but the government intervened and made it less than 310. The huge disparity between the official and black market is the biggest signal that the float has been corrupted.

Buhari's mishandling of the forex market is the primary reason why the economy plunged into a recession. I have written off the economy due to his lamentable understanding of economics and his refusal to allow technocrats do their job.

You were making sense until you mentioned Buhari. Is it Buhari that is handling the forex market? And who are the technocrats that are not allowed to do their jobs?

1 Like

Re: Egypt Devaluation To Test CBN Resolve On Naira by qualityalone: 7:57am On Nov 06, 2016
why this comparison when Egyptian pounds is 18/$ and naira is above #400/$. If naira is like we for complain??

1 Like

Re: Egypt Devaluation To Test CBN Resolve On Naira by tinsel: 7:57am On Nov 06, 2016
Some people are still pressing for further devaluation of naira.
Re: Egypt Devaluation To Test CBN Resolve On Naira by qualityalone: 7:59am On Nov 06, 2016
why this comparison when Egyptian pounds is 18/$ and naira is above #400/$. If naira is like that we for complain??

2 Likes

Re: Egypt Devaluation To Test CBN Resolve On Naira by linearity: 8:01am On Nov 06, 2016
deenee:
Naira is already free floating.

The main reason why there is still a wide margin between the official rate is as follows:

Corrupt politicians who steal money and covert to FX for storage at any cost. These morons now know that it is almost impossible to keep their stolen loot in Naira or even in any bank (all thanks to BVN) so what they do now is steal naira, get the aboki guys that sell dollar to mop up dollar at any cost for them and then they keep the dollar cash stashed away in various secret locations.

Importers that still patronise the black market esp those that import some of the items on the list of banned items that CBN won't allocate dollar for. Top of this list is fish, rice, tomato paste, frozen turkey/chicken furniture just to mention a few. I read a report somewhere (can verify if the data is true though) that Nigerians smuggle raw eggs worth over 8billion monthly through our borders. 30 billion naira worth of fish monthly. I don't even want to start quoting the figure for rice These figure is true are quite alarming. I just can't begin to imagine how much jobs we are creating for the countries where these food items come from. Jobs that should be in Nigeria. Hopefully the govt's efforts at self sufficiency will help reduce this trend.

Finally fuel importers and I pray Dangote's refinery will help solve this as over4 40 percent of our FX needs is channelled towards fuel import.

God bless Nigeria

Your analogies are incorrect and this is why:

1. "Politicians who steal Naira, then connive with black markers to hype dollar and store those money as dollars for storage"

In the above scenario, the politicians would be better off if dollar was low. e.g. If I steal N900, it is illogical for me to push the price of dollar up to say N450/$, so I can convert my loots into dollar and get a small amount of $2 for my troubled. On the flip side, if I pushed dollar lower, say to N300/$, that same loot of N900 will fetch me $3.

2. Those items were not bad from been imported, only that, no Forex will be allocated to it. Plus, these importers did not run to black market to get dollars at higher rates just because they love to do it. It is merely because the demands for these items by Nigerians like myself and you for these items are higher and there is no comparable local alternatives for the suppliers or that, we Nigerians have strictly dictated to these suppliers that, we want the foreign ones. So, if you want to help, stop eating eggs, fish, etc.

3. Fuel importation is merely about 30% or so of our Forex demands. You would have scored a huge point is you indicated that, this situation was given raise to buy corrupt politicians. They killed our refineries, so that they will be room to import fuel, thereby lining up their pockets.

3 Likes

Re: Egypt Devaluation To Test CBN Resolve On Naira by Edoblakky(m): 8:09am On Nov 06, 2016
LorDBolton:

It's about the "source of forex"

Egypt has a thriving tourist industry amongst others, they have a lot of locally produced goods & possibly there closeness to trade partners (oil rich Arab states) helps trade flourish.

Sir EXCEPT for oil, what is our main source of revenue? If i'm not mistaken the custom service generates our highest internal revenue? Abi na FIRS?

Oil is the reason why our naira is crashing
If I'm not mistaking, someone on this forum gave a report from either the budget planning ministry or that of bureau of statistics that oil only contributes less than 20% to our GDP. How come oil now controls everything in Nigeria seems like an aberration.
Re: Egypt Devaluation To Test CBN Resolve On Naira by googlepikins: 8:11am On Nov 06, 2016
AntiWailer:
Buhari has scattered Egypt too.

Signed,
Wailers.
no it means there's a dullard in Egypt destroying the country. Abi you zombies will blame PDP misrule?

Re: Egypt Devaluation To Test CBN Resolve On Naira by persius555(m): 8:14am On Nov 06, 2016
deenee:
Naira is already free floating.

The main reason why there is still a wide margin between the official rate is as follows:

Corrupt politicians who steal money and covert to FX for storage at any cost. These morons now know that it is almost impossible to keep their stolen loot in Naira or even in any bank (all thanks to BVN) so what they do now is steal naira, get the aboki guys that sell dollar to mop up dollar at any cost for them and then they keep the dollar cash stashed away in various secret locations.

Importers that still patronise the black market esp those that import some of the items on the list of banned items that CBN won't allocate dollar for. Top of this list is fish, rice, tomato paste, frozen turkey/chicken furniture just to mention a few. I read a report somewhere (can verify if the data is true though) that Nigerians smuggle raw eggs worth over 8billion monthly through our borders. 30 billion naira worth of fish monthly. I don't even want to start quoting the figure for rice These figure is true are quite alarming. I just can't begin to imagine how much jobs we are creating for the countries where these food items come from. Jobs that should be in Nigeria. Hopefully the govt's efforts at self sufficiency will help reduce this trend.

Finally fuel importers and I pray Dangote's refinery will help solve this as over4 40 percent of our FX needs is channelled towards fuel import.

God bless Nigeria

FYI, the only reason people smuggle eggs and all you have mentioned is because there is no sufficient supply of these goods to the nigerian market. We are about 180 million and rely on small scale farm production of these goods to sustain ourselves. How is this sustainable.
If we refuse to import, then its only a matter of time before famine sets in.
The government of the day has to do more, evolve policies and ideas that will encourage people to go into manufacturing and agriculture. It must be long term planning and not a program that you dump immediately another government comes in.

1 Like

Re: Egypt Devaluation To Test CBN Resolve On Naira by XaintJoel20: 8:35am On Nov 06, 2016
sekundosekundo:
God I can't thank you enough. You hv blessed me without measure. I SAY THANK YOU. As I aged with GRACE.
Is this story true?
Re: Egypt Devaluation To Test CBN Resolve On Naira by CuteTj(m): 8:38am On Nov 06, 2016
mrvitalis:
Yes it is painful but i feel Buhari should allow the naira get her true value and allow market forces to determine price.. Cbn should stop selling dollars cheap... They should sale at the market price
I disagree. Nigeria is a peculiar country!!

If the CBN dare allow a true float, then Nigeria will be doomed and everything will grind to a halt in the short run. Is it now that we still don't produce anything and all we do is import or the speculators who have warehoused dollars waiting to further attack our Naira. Are you aware that Nigerians have almost $20b in their domiciliary accounts? With that amount to play around with, then the naira is going to be totally murdered. Or is it the price of fuel that will shoot so high? Or the terrific spike of inflation beyond levels we have never witnessed before?

In as much as your advise is truly the best way out but with how Nigeria is currently, it is going to be the worst way out. We should get out of recession first, start producing something in Nigeria for export, decrease dependence on the dollar then can we now allow the naira to float to heaven or to hell.

1 Like

Re: Egypt Devaluation To Test CBN Resolve On Naira by afanide: 8:41am On Nov 06, 2016
Useless CBN policy
Re: Egypt Devaluation To Test CBN Resolve On Naira by bettercreature(m): 8:46am On Nov 06, 2016
eejo:
lies Egypt devaluation of it currency is a condition for imf loan it has nothing to do with cbn policy
Yes condition for 12billion dollars loan,I read it on abokifx few days ago.IMF will never give you loan without condition reason Buhari must not be allowed to get the $30billion loan
The fact is PMB can raise half of that loan locally through treasury bill,Nigerians are that rich
Re: Egypt Devaluation To Test CBN Resolve On Naira by onatisi(m): 8:49am On Nov 06, 2016
tinsel:
Some people are still pressing for further devaluation of naira.
there is no shortcut,the currency will be devalued greatly In January. The respite ppl are having now is due to the fact that this is the festive season and money comes in during this period due to holidays and ppl going home. By January when full business takes on again the dollars will surpass N500,

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Biometrics To Replace Atm's Soon - CBN / Did The Attitude Of People Towards You Change When You Became Rich? / Recession: EU Advises Nigeria To Devalue Naira.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.