Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,184 members, 7,811,472 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:24 PM

Egypt Devaluation To Test CBN Resolve On Naira - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Egypt Devaluation To Test CBN Resolve On Naira (25340 Views)

Analysts Predict Naira Devaluation To N400/$ / Analysts Foretells Naira Devaluation To N400/$ / IMF Hints At Fresh Devaluation, Says Naira Is Overvalued (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Egypt Devaluation To Test CBN Resolve On Naira by PeridotBelle(f): 8:53am On Nov 06, 2016
AntiWailer:
Buhari has scattered Egypt too.

Signed,
Wailers.

Hahahahahahahaha
Re: Egypt Devaluation To Test CBN Resolve On Naira by onatisi(m): 8:55am On Nov 06, 2016
Re: Egypt Devaluation To Test CBN Resolve On Naira by onatisi(m): 8:56am On Nov 06, 2016
CuteTj:

I disagree. Nigeria is a peculiar country!!

If the CBN dare allow a true float, then Nigeria will be doomed and everything will grind to a halt in the short run. Is it now that we still don't produce anything and all we do is import or the speculators who have warehoused dollars waiting to further attack our Naira. Are you aware that Nigerians have almost $20b in their domiciliary accounts? With that amount to play around with, then the naira is going to be totally murdered. Or is it the price of fuel that will shoot so high? Or the terrific spike of inflation beyond levels we have never witnessed before?

In as much as your advise is truly the best way out but with how Nigeria is currently, it is going to be the worst way out. We should get out of recession first, start producing something in Nigeria for export, decrease dependence on the dollar then can we now allow the naira to float to heaven or to hell.
I disagree with you. If the naira is allowed to float freely,definitely it will reach a peak of about 700 ,then importation will be totally discouraged because ppl won't be able to buy imported goods,local production of agricultural produce will increase as that will be the only alternative ,dollars wont be scarce as it is now .without anyone manipulating it ,the demand for dollars will automatically drop since many importers will be forced to stop . There is no 2 ways to beat this problem but to start producing and you can never produce when you can get the same thing at a cheaper cost else where than ur own high cost ones.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Egypt Devaluation To Test CBN Resolve On Naira by sekundosekundo: 9:14am On Nov 06, 2016
XaintJoel20:
Is this story true?
Very true dear.
Re: Egypt Devaluation To Test CBN Resolve On Naira by MrGerald(m): 9:21am On Nov 06, 2016
AntiWailer:
Buhari has scattered Egypt too.

Signed, Wailers.
Gej caused the recession.
Signed, Zone Bs.
Re: Egypt Devaluation To Test CBN Resolve On Naira by CuteTj(m): 9:47am On Nov 06, 2016
onatisi:
I disagree with you. If the naira is allowed to float freely,definitely it will reach a peak of about 700 ,then importation will be totally discouraged because ppl won't be able to buy imported goods,local production of agricultural produce will increase as that will be the only alternative ,dollars wont be scarce as it is now .without anyone manipulating it ,the demand for dollars will automatically drop since many importers will be forced to stop . There is no 2 ways to beat this problem but to start producing and you can never produce when you can get the same thing at a cheaper cost else where than ur own high cost ones.
I understand your point but you think its as easy as just increasing price without putting something in place? Importation isn't bad in it self but reliance on importation is what is bad, which is the position we find ourselves in.

In an ideal situation, your strategy is the way out but Nigeria's situation is not normal. The way you have painted it on paper is sweet but you and I know that putting it in reality is the difficult part.

We have just semi-floated a while ago (then we got into a recession. Although that's not the cause of the recession but you and I know it had an impact on it) we should wait for that to bring the desired and expected results and when that has happened we can then move on to the next stage.

Once again I agree with you but what I don't agree with you on is the timing. In my opinion, a free float should be carried out say in the next 18 - 24 months depending on how this semi float and the market responds (coupled with ending the recession, less dependency on importation as a result of us starting to produce many things).

1 Like

Re: Egypt Devaluation To Test CBN Resolve On Naira by uckennety(m): 9:47am On Nov 06, 2016
linearity:

Your analogies are incorrect and this is why:

1. "Politicians who steal Naira, then connive with black markers to hype dollar and store those money as dollars for storage"

In the above scenario, the politicians would be better off if dollar was low. e.g. If I steal N900, it is illogical for me to push the price of dollar up to say N450/$, so I can convert my loots into dollar and get a small amount of $2 for my troubled. On the flip side, if I pushed dollar lower, say to N300/$, that same loot of N900 will fetch me $3.

2. Those items were not bad from been imported, only that, no Forex will be allocated to it. Plus, these importers did not run to black market to get dollars at higher rates just because they love to do it. It is merely because the demands for these items by Nigerians like myself and you for these items are higher and there is no comparable local alternatives for the suppliers or that, we Nigerians have strictly dictated to these suppliers that, we want the foreign ones. So, if you want to help, stop eating eggs, fish, etc.

3. Fuel importation is merely about 30% or so of our Forex demands. You would have scored a huge point is you indicated that, this situation was given raise to buy corrupt politicians. They killed our refineries, so that they will be room to import fuel, thereby lining up their pockets.

You are not rubbish!

Re: Egypt Devaluation To Test CBN Resolve On Naira by mrvitalis(m): 9:48am On Nov 06, 2016
CuteTj:

I disagree. Nigeria is a peculiar country!!

If the CBN dare allow a true float, then Nigeria will be doomed and everything will grind to a halt in the short run. Is it now that we still don't produce anything and all we do is import or the speculators who have warehoused dollars waiting to further attack our Naira. Are you aware that Nigerians have almost $20b in their domiciliary accounts? With that amount to play around with, then the naira is going to be totally murdered. Or is it the price of fuel that will shoot so high? Or the terrific spike of inflation beyond levels we have never witnessed before?

In as much as your advise is truly the best way out but with how Nigeria is currently, it is going to be the worst way out. We should get out of recession first, start producing something in Nigeria for export, decrease dependence on the dollar then can we now allow the naira to float to heaven or to hell.
U are looking at short term.. the high price of goods will draw in investors and this will creatw employment... And people will sooner than later begin to source raw materials here this will alao create employment
Re: Egypt Devaluation To Test CBN Resolve On Naira by mrvitalis(m): 9:50am On Nov 06, 2016
WinningSun:

if Dollar is out of reach for manufacturer. how will they buy their equipment. CBN should only sell to real investors.
If naira is allowed to get its true value what will be the need to hide dollars or acquire it and store??
Buying from cbn and black market will be the same... we don't have short dollars supply the people who have are not selling
Re: Egypt Devaluation To Test CBN Resolve On Naira by obiageIi(f): 10:02am On Nov 06, 2016
Nigeria's problem is not devaluation or floating, the problem is trade in balance. We don't earn as much as we consume or produce. Even if we devalue to 1000 Nairal to a dollar, there will still be a parallel market selling at 1200.

Till we reduce imports and increase exports, we are just moving around in circles

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Egypt Devaluation To Test CBN Resolve On Naira by CuteTj(m): 10:06am On Nov 06, 2016
mrvitalis:

U are looking at short term.. the high price of goods will draw in investors and this will creatw employment... And people will sooner than later begin to source raw materials here this will alao create employment
Let's say I'm looking at medium term and not short term. You and I know that long term can take like forever or never in Nigeria especially when another government gets into power.

My point is let's take considerable steps (medium term steps) as we work towards the long term.

Nigeria is not yet an ideal society where all things are equal/will be equal.
Re: Egypt Devaluation To Test CBN Resolve On Naira by onatisi(m): 10:16am On Nov 06, 2016
CuteTj:

I understand your point but you think its as easy as just increasing price without putting something in place? Importation isn't bad in it self but reliance on importation is what is bad, which is the position we find ourselves in.

In an ideal situation, your strategy is the way out but Nigeria's situation is not normal. The way you have painted it on paper is sweet but you and I know that putting it in reality is the difficult part.

We have just semi-floated a while ago (then we got into a recession. Although that's not the cause of the recession but you and I know it had an impact on it) we should wait for that to bring the desired and expected results and when that has happened we can then move on to the next stage.

Once again I agree with you but what I don't agree with you on is the timing. In my opinion, a free float should be carried out say in the next 18 - 24 months depending on how this semi float and the market responds (coupled with ending the recession, less dependency on importation as a result of us starting to produce many things).
Bros ,believe me the only problem Nigeria has is her political leadership. And this isn't limited to buhari alone but since the time of independence. I must confess this is the first time I am witnessing a nation having 2 separate exchange rates for the dollar and with a difference of 150, the FG rate is 320 while the black market that satisfies the majority is 470,that is a whooping 150 naira gain for any government official with access to government fx
Re: Egypt Devaluation To Test CBN Resolve On Naira by onatisi(m): 10:23am On Nov 06, 2016
mrvitalis:

If naira is allowed to get its true value what will be the need to hide dollars or acquire it and store??
Buying from cbn and black market will be the same... we don't have short dollars supply the people who have are not selling
That is because of the price disparity between the FG and black market rate and secondly the inconsistent nature of policy making by the FG . believe me if I have 10 million dollars in cash ,I wont sell it all because I know the FG will 90% change its policy ,investors never like putting money in an unstable economy

1 Like

Re: Egypt Devaluation To Test CBN Resolve On Naira by CuteTj(m): 10:23am On Nov 06, 2016
@ onatisi,

I tire for our governments. From one government to the other, we are continually sinking.

Why there is a wide disparity between FG exchange rate and black market is as a result of government's invisible hold of its own exchange rate. They claim to have floated but that's not totally correct. What we have is a semi float.
Re: Egypt Devaluation To Test CBN Resolve On Naira by onatisi(m): 10:28am On Nov 06, 2016
CuteTj:
@ onatisi,

I tire for our governments. From one government to the other, we are continually sinking.

Why there is a wide disparity between FG exchange rate and black market is as a result of government's invisible hold of its own exchange rate. They claim to have floated but that's not totally correct. What we have is a semi float.
And that is a big problem. The bank rate for dollars and the street price rate for dollars in Ghana is almost the same . So noone even bothers about bank rate or black market rate . But imagine 320 to 470 !!!
Government should just hands off totally,then those who have stored it will pump their dollars into the market after sometime the price will balance itself. This thing isn't rocket science

3 Likes

Re: Egypt Devaluation To Test CBN Resolve On Naira by mrvitalis(m): 10:58am On Nov 06, 2016
onatisi:

That is because of the price disparity between the FG and black market rate and secondly the inconsistent nature of policy making by the FG . believe me if I have 10 million dollars in cash ,I wont sell it all because I know the FG will 90% change its policy ,investors never like putting money in an unstable economy

But if the naira is floated u would sale
Re: Egypt Devaluation To Test CBN Resolve On Naira by Nobody: 11:00am On Nov 06, 2016
What's the use of Nigeria belonging to member countries like ECOWAS and AU if they can't all put their moronic heads together and float a single African currency that would compete with US dollars, British pounds and Yen. They should have done this since.
Re: Egypt Devaluation To Test CBN Resolve On Naira by onatisi(m): 11:06am On Nov 06, 2016
mrvitalis:

But if the naira is floated u would sale
definitely. That is what ppl are saying. Investors want to make profit ,they wont sell when their profit is regulated . But let the market determine their profit
Re: Egypt Devaluation To Test CBN Resolve On Naira by pulsa(m): 11:08am On Nov 06, 2016
sekundosekundo:
God I can't thank you enough. You hv blessed me without measure. I SAY THANK YOU. As I aged with GRACE.
dude are you serious or joking, did that arawarawa tale really take place.
Re: Egypt Devaluation To Test CBN Resolve On Naira by grandstar(m): 11:21am On Nov 06, 2016
Ijaya123:

You were making sense until you mentioned Buhari. Is it Buhari that is handling the forex market? And who are the technocrats that are not allowed to do their jobs?

Who said, "I don't believe in devaluation"? Buhari's has never hidden his meddling into the affairs of the forex market. The first thing he did upon assuming power was to fix the rate at 197 to the $ without regards to market forces. This was the height of economic hubris

He then followed it up by barring access to CBN forex windows for the importation of 41 products. These are all well known and he was even the one that revealed so.

I am apolitical. I just say things as they are

2 Likes

Re: Egypt Devaluation To Test CBN Resolve On Naira by APCHaram: 11:24am On Nov 06, 2016
ZainabOs:
Donno what this means. Can someone explain plsss

Naira will be auctioned freely which will see its true value under the dullard hover around 1,000 to a dollar.
Re: Egypt Devaluation To Test CBN Resolve On Naira by onatisi(m): 11:24am On Nov 06, 2016
grandstar:

Who said, "I don't believe in devaluation"? Buhari's has never hidden his meddling into the affairs of the forex market. The first thing he did upon assuming power was to fix the rate at 197 to the $ without regards to market forces. This was the height of economic hubris

He then followed it up by barring access to CBN forex windows for the importation of 41 products. These are all well known and he was even the one that revealed so.

The government meddling I'm fx rate and trying to determine the rate is what is making the fx business lucrative
Re: Egypt Devaluation To Test CBN Resolve On Naira by AreaFada2: 11:33am On Nov 06, 2016
Flexherbal:
Naira never devalue reach?

I bow o.

So what is the economically reasonable rate then? $1 to N1500 or what?

What will a bag of rice or a bag of cement cost then? shocked shocked
Re: Egypt Devaluation To Test CBN Resolve On Naira by Nobody: 12:02pm On Nov 06, 2016
sylvar02:
So this Shiii is allover Africa

ok

[size=20pt]E kú rècéssìon èní ooo grin grin grin[/size]
Sha, Yoruba and greeting
Re: Egypt Devaluation To Test CBN Resolve On Naira by sylvar02(m): 12:16pm On Nov 06, 2016
Oma307:
Sha, Yoruba and greeting

Abi... e bad?
Re: Egypt Devaluation To Test CBN Resolve On Naira by sekundosekundo: 12:21pm On Nov 06, 2016
pulsa:

dude are you serious or joking, did that arawarawa tale really take place.

Yes, I was a kid but my parents and the people in the community told me as I was growing up. They told me what happened to me while I was a kid.
Re: Egypt Devaluation To Test CBN Resolve On Naira by XaintJoel20: 12:29pm On Nov 06, 2016
sekundosekundo:

Very true dear.
Glory be to God Almighty for sparing your life....

1 Like

Re: Egypt Devaluation To Test CBN Resolve On Naira by chibuzorAbia: 12:32pm On Nov 06, 2016
dumo1:
What's the use of Nigeria belonging to member countries like ECOWAS and AU if they can't all put their moronic heads together and float a single African currency that would compete with US dollars, British pounds and Yen. They should have done this since.

Funny you!!!

Bunch of weak countries that produce nothing? Spending their meagre $ income on extreme luxuries?

1 Like

Re: Egypt Devaluation To Test CBN Resolve On Naira by Ijaya123: 1:06pm On Nov 06, 2016
grandstar:

And what does the country gain from devaluation?
Re: Egypt Devaluation To Test CBN Resolve On Naira by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:21pm On Nov 06, 2016
emeijeh:
Where are the experts in this field?
Pls come and explain the writeup for us

You heard about the floating of the naira. It meant that the CBN will allow the demand and supply of dollars determine its exchange rate.

Unfortunately, the CBN did not do a full float but a partial one. Meaning like before, the CBN intervened to keep the price of the dollar low. The CBN did this by using some money from our reserves to make dollars available. Causing an imbalance in the true state of the economy.

Egypt did a partial float after us but they need inflow of dollars into their system. With limited resources of $16 Billion in their reserves, the Egyptians did a full float recently. This will make other bodies comfortable in investing in Egypt. Bodies like the IMF can make proper forecast before loaning.

It is only time that will tell if the CBN follows the same route of the Egyptians and do a full float of the naira.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Did The Attitude Of People Towards You Change When You Became Rich? / Recession: EU Advises Nigeria To Devalue Naira. / Throwback Photo Of Nana And Femi Otedola

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.