Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,161 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:03 AM

Best Ways To Politely Shut Down A Conversation During Work Time - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Best Ways To Politely Shut Down A Conversation During Work Time (16399 Views)

Sack: Pilots, Engineers Threaten To Shut Down All Airlines / The Way The Young Ladies Taking A Nap During Work Hour... / Unions To Shut Down Banks Nationwide From January 2, 2020 (2) (3) (4)

Best Ways To Politely Shut Down A Conversation During Work Time by Adekanyeope: 6:41am On Nov 07, 2016
It is no news that many of us are faced with the challenges of juggling several large life events, as well as handling a full workload. We often work with schedule in other to meet up with deadlines. However, we need not say, our time, and our attention span, is limited. Usually, we are up for a lively conversation with friends but more often than not, recently we have to cut it short and get back to work.

In other to do this, there are two things involved and our choice comes down to this two options: continue talking and suffer the stress of knowing we have many other tasks to accomplish today, or end the chat without offending or rejecting anyone.

The deal is that it is perfectly acceptable and awesome to limit your social interactions while at work. If you do it correctly, people will understand that you are not cutting them out of your life.They will know that you want to talk to them, but you really do have to prioritize in order to get things done. To strike a balance on this, here are a few tips that can help.

Excuse yourself.
Well you can listen for brief time to be polite and then simply say, “Excuse me, I’d really love to talk more with you on this, but I have a deadline to attend to.” If they continue the conversation anyway, you respond firmly with, “what about we set up a time to talk later”

Set an appointment.
You don’t want to risk offending someone with whom you are trying to establish a relationship, so if you are too busy at the moment to chat, suggest finding another time, like lunch or drinks after hours, that will work for the both of you. They will appreciate your acknowledgement of them and you’ll both look forward to a relaxed time together

Give visual signals.
When someone approaches you, pause but not for too long. Keep on working. Most people will get the message that you are busy. Another approach is to use headphones to give a visual signal that you are trying to concentrate. This may prevent others from interrupting you in the first place. If you work in an office setting, put up a "Please Do Not Disturb" sign on your door

Listen with distraction.
When someone really wants to talk and doesn’t get the message that you’re super busy, listen with one ear without fully engaging. Offer little feedback, or one-word answers, while distractedly looking back at your desk or at the project at hand. After a few minutes, excuse yourself by saying something like, “I’m sorry. I'd really like to give you my full attention but I have to finish up before the end of the day.”

Offer an apologetic smile as you say it, or use a smiley emoticon if you’re dashing off a quick email or text message.

The 'pass off.'
Okay this is funny but it works well , when you are trapped in a rambling conversation, pull in another person to join you if possible. Introduce the topic to the new person, and once the other two get a conversation going, politely excuse yourself and don't look back. Be smart about it

Do unto others.
When your workload slows down, you might find yourself in the situation where you want to raise some friendly conversation, but others are busy. Be as respectful of their time as you want them to be of yours.

When working with others, you must maintain a balance between a friendly atmosphere and getting the work done. With respect and consideration, you can create a congenial and productive work environment.

http://www.2000viewsng.com/2016/11/best-ways-to-politely-shut-down.html

Kindly Drop your Comment.

Have a nice week.

cc
lalsticlala
fynestboi
mynd44
seun

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Best Ways To Politely Shut Down A Conversation During Work Time by habbyy03: 7:04am On Nov 07, 2016
FTC.....

boring write up,

just b saying k k k k k k k
and kkk

Re: Best Ways To Politely Shut Down A Conversation During Work Time by 21Savagw: 7:04am On Nov 07, 2016
"I have a boyfriend"

To all the ladies on the street that shut our conversations down like that, I hope you married to said boyfriends.

don't be a little sissy, tell them flat out, you are busy or they are boring except they are your superior.

Even if they are telling you how their grandmother pet rat died, you have to nod your head and praise them, that's the only way for a promotion.

Re: Best Ways To Politely Shut Down A Conversation During Work Time by Emnyte(m): 7:05am On Nov 07, 2016
alright

Re: Best Ways To Politely Shut Down A Conversation During Work Time by sakalisis(m): 7:05am On Nov 07, 2016

Re: Best Ways To Politely Shut Down A Conversation During Work Time by freeamine: 7:06am On Nov 07, 2016
OK. Will try'em out.

Re: Best Ways To Politely Shut Down A Conversation During Work Time by saheedbadmus(m): 7:06am On Nov 07, 2016
Re: Best Ways To Politely Shut Down A Conversation During Work Time by DickDastardly(m): 7:06am On Nov 07, 2016
Nice cold therapy for omenka's nonsense here.

Cc: All Igbos

Re: Best Ways To Politely Shut Down A Conversation During Work Time by Nobody: 7:06am On Nov 07, 2016
[size=15pt]NICE[/size]

Re: Best Ways To Politely Shut Down A Conversation During Work Time by alabi0040(m): 7:07am On Nov 07, 2016
Nice write-up

Re: Best Ways To Politely Shut Down A Conversation During Work Time by kushfc(m): 7:07am On Nov 07, 2016
nice talk

Re: Best Ways To Politely Shut Down A Conversation During Work Time by Samiceman: 7:08am On Nov 07, 2016
Alright,noted for when I get a job... Now, how do I shut down a boring lecturer?

Re: Best Ways To Politely Shut Down A Conversation During Work Time by elitejosef: 7:08am On Nov 07, 2016
This part is really

Brb

Re: Best Ways To Politely Shut Down A Conversation During Work Time by Frabjous(m): 7:08am On Nov 07, 2016
Nice

Re: Best Ways To Politely Shut Down A Conversation During Work Time by yjgm(m): 7:09am On Nov 07, 2016
Yes. A lady was arrogant and names I can't call when I called her. I called the first time, she rejected without me knowing cos I tot it didn't connect. Only for me to call the second time and she picked and was like can't you see am busy. I never called her since then. I was also busy at work compared to her own work. I work within the security circle. Wanted to just pass a message. How rude she was. I cant take such a poo.

Re: Best Ways To Politely Shut Down A Conversation During Work Time by KillerBeauty(f): 7:09am On Nov 07, 2016
Erbody should know this

Re: Best Ways To Politely Shut Down A Conversation During Work Time by Nobody: 7:09am On Nov 07, 2016
Re: Best Ways To Politely Shut Down A Conversation During Work Time by AuroraB(f): 7:09am On Nov 07, 2016
DickDastardly:
Nice cold therapy for omenka's nonsense here.

Cc: All Igbos
Sighted grin cheesy

Re: Best Ways To Politely Shut Down A Conversation During Work Time by Bisjosh(f): 7:10am On Nov 07, 2016
Listen with distraction works best for me grin angry angry

The truth is that u cannot just tell people to f!ck off or you are busy because you never can tell what the other person wanna say to u

Also, u might be at the receiving end too one day and u might have burnt the bridge with your rude attitude. tongue embarassed

Re: Best Ways To Politely Shut Down A Conversation During Work Time by Unsad(m): 7:10am On Nov 07, 2016
Nice
Re: Best Ways To Politely Shut Down A Conversation During Work Time by Samiceman: 7:11am On Nov 07, 2016
yjgm:
Yes. A lady was arrogant and names I can't call when I called her. I called the first time, she rejected without me knowing cos I tot it didn't connect. Only for me to call the second time and she picked and was like can't you see am busy. I never called her since then. I was also busy at work compared to her own work. I work within the security circle. Wanted to just pass a message. How rude she was. I cant take such a poo.
Who gives a rat-ass?

Re: Best Ways To Politely Shut Down A Conversation During Work Time by Bisjosh(f): 7:12am On Nov 07, 2016
yjgm:

You could have sent a mail

There are several ways u can pass message across.

Re: Best Ways To Politely Shut Down A Conversation During Work Time by DickDastardly(m): 7:12am On Nov 07, 2016
AuroraB:
Sighted grin cheesy
Nwa nothing do you grin cool

Re: Best Ways To Politely Shut Down A Conversation During Work Time by Naff24(f): 7:13am On Nov 07, 2016
habbyy03:
FTC.....

boring write up,

just b saying k k k k k k k
and kkk

Guess you are not working yet, you might not understand undecided

Re: Best Ways To Politely Shut Down A Conversation During Work Time by Nonychinonso(m): 7:15am On Nov 07, 2016
Nice one

Re: Best Ways To Politely Shut Down A Conversation During Work Time by ayusco85(m): 7:15am On Nov 07, 2016
Re: Best Ways To Politely Shut Down A Conversation During Work Time by LEOSIRSIR(m): 7:18am On Nov 07, 2016
thanks for this OP
Re: Best Ways To Politely Shut Down A Conversation During Work Time by seunlayi(m): 7:19am On Nov 07, 2016
Nairaland mod will simply ban you, that is there way of saying shut up

Re: Best Ways To Politely Shut Down A Conversation During Work Time by omenka(m): 7:19am On Nov 07, 2016
I see what a terror I've become to some people.

Una never see anything yet. gringringrin

Cc: All Yellow Bleached Bonobos.

Please come and learn how to totally ignore Omenka just as one of your blothers have suggested. cheesy

Re: Best Ways To Politely Shut Down A Conversation During Work Time by emeijeh(m): 7:20am On Nov 07, 2016
G
Re: Best Ways To Politely Shut Down A Conversation During Work Time by Twaci(f): 7:22am On Nov 07, 2016
Samiceman:
Alright,noted for when I get a job... Now, how do I shut down a boring lecturer?
Stone him smiley

Origins Of Ten Common Professions / How You Are Killing Your Own Career / What Song Inspires You To Work Hard?