Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,757 members, 7,817,092 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:41 AM

20SACKS Experiment On Pumpkin(ugu) - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / 20SACKS Experiment On Pumpkin(ugu) (3462 Views)

Vegetable (fluted Pumpkin) Ugu Planting Learning Thread / Ugu (Fluted Pumpkin) seed, pod n seedling at affordable prices. / My Poultry Feed Formulation Experiment On Broilers. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

20SACKS Experiment On Pumpkin(ugu) by Munzy14(m): 12:51pm On Nov 07, 2016
Good day my people.having tried tomatoe, pepper and cucumber with sack farming, now am experimenting on pumpkin. and if it eventually yield a good result. then we are hitting dry season below belt.
Re: 20SACKS Experiment On Pumpkin(ugu) by hahn(m): 12:57pm On Nov 07, 2016
I dey with you cheesy

But is "our" pumpkin the same as the ones used for halloween? I have never come across someone who has eaten the pumpkin itself. Just the leaves undecided
Re: 20SACKS Experiment On Pumpkin(ugu) by Munzy14(m): 1:02pm On Nov 07, 2016
21 ugu seeds were purchased from the local market, dried for five days and planted.
soil preparation. two wheel barrows of sand three bags of manure.(poultry dungs). and filled into the perforated sacks. and arranged 10 per roll. on 20/10/2016.

Re: 20SACKS Experiment On Pumpkin(ugu) by Munzy14(m): 1:08pm On Nov 07, 2016
hahn:
I dey with you cheesy

But is "our" pumpkin the same as the ones used for halloween? I have never come across someone who has eaten the pumpkin itself. Just the leaves undecided
Ok.
I don't know o.
In my area we eat the both leaves and the fruit. The frut can be cooked and eaten raw when its not that very matured. The seed can also be cooked, fermented and used in cooking so IBO soup (oha soup). its serves same purpose as the yoruba locust beans(Iru) or the anambra/enugu (ogiri) for making bitterleaf soup.
Re: 20SACKS Experiment On Pumpkin(ugu) by Munzy14(m): 1:17pm On Nov 07, 2016
Germination started on 27/10/2016. and I only had 18/20. dats a good germination rate recorded. and so far the stems are climbing very well. kudos to the rich soil they have. watering is done three times in a week.
pictures of the trellis for them to climb is coming in later in the evening. I adopted my trellis in my cucumber thread. but this time i did link it up with the two rolls so dat the ugu will climb up and form a bed like structure above 6ft.

1 Like

Re: 20SACKS Experiment On Pumpkin(ugu) by hahn(m): 2:03pm On Nov 07, 2016
Munzy14:

Ok.
I don't know o.
In my area we eat the both leaves and the fruit. The frut can be cooked and eaten raw when its not that very matured. The seed can also be cooked, fermented and used in cooking so IBO soup (oha soup). its serves same purpose as the yoruba locust beans(Iru) or the anambra/enugu (ogiri) for making bitterleaf soup.

O
K

Cool.

I am with you on this one smiley
Re: 20SACKS Experiment On Pumpkin(ugu) by Emempaul(m): 5:25pm On Nov 07, 2016
Munzy14:
Germination started on 27/10/2016. and I only had 18/20. dats a good germination rate recorded. and so far the stems are climbing very well. kudos to the rich soil they have. watering is done three times in a week.
pictures of the trellis for them to climb is coming in later in the evening. I adopted my trellis in my cucumber thread. but this time i did link it up with the two rolls so dat the ugu will climb up and form a bed like structure above 6ft.
gud work but u made one mistake, u used rope trellis. Once d ugu mean buiness d rope will not b able to hold d weight of the ugu as it will bcome thick n heavily branched so i ll advice bamboo stake and bamboo trellis, secondly no need for trellis if u are not staking for seedry ( ugu pod)
Re: 20SACKS Experiment On Pumpkin(ugu) by Munzy14(m): 9:20pm On Nov 07, 2016
Emempaul:

gud work but u made one mistake, u used rope trellis. Once d ugu mean buiness d rope will not b able to hold d weight of the ugu as it will bcome thick n heavily branched so i ll advice bamboo stake and bamboo trellis, secondly no need for trellis if u are not staking for seedry ( ugu pod)
Thanks.Its experiment though. results will be used to harness your advice.
Re: 20SACKS Experiment On Pumpkin(ugu) by biggal: 9:25pm On Nov 07, 2016
Pls mumzy how did your tomato and pepper do I want to start by January am in rivers state
Re: 20SACKS Experiment On Pumpkin(ugu) by kennysympathy(m): 10:00pm On Nov 07, 2016
Will try this out, it seems amazing.
Re: 20SACKS Experiment On Pumpkin(ugu) by Munzy14(m): 10:14am On Nov 08, 2016
biggal:
Pls mumzy how did your tomato and pepper do I want to start by January am in rivers state
The did wonderfully well. I got 4.3kg so far from the 30sacks of tomato,and am still harvesting since 3rd week of october. Then the pepper is doing well.
Re: 20SACKS Experiment On Pumpkin(ugu) by biggal: 11:10am On Nov 08, 2016
Which variety did you plant pls.
Re: 20SACKS Experiment On Pumpkin(ugu) by Munzy14(m): 11:17am On Nov 08, 2016
ok. This what the vegetable looks like as at yesterday. Also tip cutting was done. in other to allow them to develope more branches.
Attached is the pepper in sacks its a local variety from the kitchen. The long fruit specie.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 20SACKS Experiment On Pumpkin(ugu) by FRESHFOOD: 3:48pm On Jan 30, 2017
may i know if your ugu is ready on sack farming
Re: 20SACKS Experiment On Pumpkin(ugu) by Munzy14(m): 2:23pm On Jan 31, 2017
FRESHFOOD:
may i know if your ugu is ready on sack farming
soo sorry the project was suspended. due to logistics.
I promise to come with a better package in new topic.
thanks
Re: 20SACKS Experiment On Pumpkin(ugu) by mima247(f): 4:49pm On Feb 24, 2017
Actually they're both related. Ugly is gotten from the fluted pumpkin while the other type is from the round fat type

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Strawberry Seed For Sale / FEASIBILITY STUDY/BUSNIESS PROPOSAL For Your Intend Agribusiness (myagricworld) / Duck Breeding & Marketing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.