Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,430 members, 7,846,785 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 11:42 PM

Rhema For Living Devotional-the Relevance Of The Old Testament Law. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Rhema For Living Devotional-the Relevance Of The Old Testament Law. (417 Views)

Are We Truly Not To Obey The Old Testament Laws Anymore? / Rhema For Living Devotional 2018 By Ken Macaulay / Rhema For Living Devotional By Ken Macaulay - How To Fight Spiritual Warfare. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Rhema For Living Devotional-the Relevance Of The Old Testament Law. by Ken4Christ: 4:36pm On Nov 07, 2016
Friday, November 4th.
The Relevance of The Old Testament to Us Today - 1

"For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope". (Romans 15:4).

We have established the fact that the Church is not under the Law of Moses but under grace. Christianity is a revelation of the grace of God. What then is the relevance of the Old Testament to us if we are not under the Law of Moses?

First, the law of Moses is only contained in four books (Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy) out of the 39 books of the Old Testament. The Law started with Moses in the wilderness. Abraham was not under the Law of Moses. So, there are wealth of information you can find in the other books that is still useful to us. However, any information you find that is not consistent with the teachings of our Lord Jesus and his Apostles should not be taken as a doctrine.

Second, the study of God's dealings with the Saints in the Old Testament gives us an understanding of the nature and character of God. It also reveals the weakness of the unregenerated man in meeting up with God's righteous requirements. The Old Testament also reveals the power of God through his mighty acts especially in his dealings with the Jews.

In addition, there are several lessons we learn from the heroes of faith and the exploits they did. We are familiar with the story of David and how he slew Goliath with a sling and a stone. What about great heroes like Samson, Elijah, Elisha, Daniel etc? You can't read about these men without getting inspired.

There are a few more reasons space will not permit me to include today. So, the entire Bible has relevance to us but you don't make a doctrine out of every thing you see in the Bible. For anything to be a doctrine, it must be in line with what Jesus and his Apostle taught. Most of the instructions Moses gave under the Law are no longer tenable in our days.

The Old Testament Saints had a limited knowledge of God. Our Lord Jesus came to reveal God to us in his true light. The Old Testament tried to show the Saints of old the way and Jesus is the way. The Old Testament was a shadow of the New Testament. The reality has come which is Jesus. You cannot fully describe an object by looking at the shadow. You also have no business focusing on the shadows when you have the reality starring at you.

Follow the truth that Jesus brought and don't subject yourself to dos and don'ts derived from the law. The Law of Moses puts men in bondage but the grace Jesus brought brings liberty. "Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage (Law of Moses)". (Galatians 5:1).

Prayer/Confession: Heavenly Father, I thank you for the opportunity to know you and your ways as revealed throughout the Bible. I am much more grateful for given me the opportunity to receive the truth of your word through the teachings of our Lord Jesus Christ and his Apostles. I pray that this truth will guide me in your will for my life and cause me to triumph in life over every evil schemes of darkness in the mighty name of Jesus. Amen.

Further Study: Colossians 2:20-22; Galatians 5:13.
Daily Scripture Reading: Philemon 1 - Hebrews 1-2; Numbers 23.

Saturday, November 5th.
The Relevance of The Old Testament to Us Today - 2.

"For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope". (Romans 15:4).

Yesterday, we mentioned a few reasons why the Old Testament is still relevant to us even though we are not subject to the Law of Moses. We will examine a few more reasons today.

In the Old Testament, there are several statement of facts that reveals spiritual truths which has not changed. For instance, a statement like, "... it is the blood that maketh an atonement for the soul" (Leviticus 17:11b), has not changed in principle but cleansing is obtained by a better sacrifice; the blood of Jesus (Hebrews 9:12, 10:19).

Moreover, there are quite a few promises in the Old Testament you can still lay claim on as they do not conflict with the New Testament revelations. For instance, the promise of divine healing in the Old Testament still applies to us but it is received by faith today. Under the Law of Moses, you can't receive your healing by faith. Healing was received by obeying the laws.

Finally, the fulfillment of a lot of prophecies made in the Old Testament in our days has helped to strengthen our faith in the word of God. If we didn't have the Old Testament to make reference to, we would not have basis for most of our claims and the skeptics will have the right to contest them. For instance, we believe Jesus is the Messiah because he's fulfilled most of the the prophecies spoken about him. Even the exact day of his death was foretold and it happened that same day.

In spite of all these relevance, the teachings of our Lord Jesus and his Apostles are still the word of God to us today. The Church should stop using some instructions or statements in the Old Testament not consistent with the foundation Jesus laid to establish doctrines. There are are too many doctrines today that have brought confusion into the body of Christ because they are based on Old Testament practices and revelations.

Revelation knowledge is progressive and our Lord Jesus has come with a new light of God's word we should live by. Those who still build doctrines based on Old Testament revelations are putting new wine in old bottles. The wine will not be preserved. New wine must be put in new bottles. A progressive journey is always forward and not backward. Live the Old behind, embrace the new. Hence Paul says, "But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in NEWNESS OF SPIRIT, and not in the OLDNESS OF THE LETTER (LAW OF MOSES)" (Romans 7:6).

Prayer/Confession: Lord Jesus, I am grateful for the new life I have in you and the new way of living you have brought through your teachings. Heavenly Father, I ask for more understanding of your word so I will not be tossed to and fro by the present wind of doctrines that are derived from the Law of Moses in the name of Jesus. Amen.

Further Study: Galatians 2:20-21; 5:1-6; Romans 3:23-28.
Daily Scripture Reading: Hebrews 3-4; Numbers 24.

(1) (Reply)

Things To Do Every Friday For Jumu'ah / God Cannot Lie,but... / Activating The Glory Of God

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.