Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,834 members, 7,813,788 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:24 PM

9 In 10 Nigerian Girls Smuggled To Europe From Edo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 9 In 10 Nigerian Girls Smuggled To Europe From Edo (1236 Views)

The Black Africans Who Ruled Europe From 711 To 1789 - Pics / Seized Containers Of Rice Linked To Senator Hope Uzodinma Smuggled As Yeast (Pic / Customs Seizes Senator’s 13 Cars Smuggled Into Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

9 In 10 Nigerian Girls Smuggled To Europe From Edo by tracychelsea13: 11:59am On Nov 08, 2016
A United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNDOC) report has shown that nine in 10 Nigerian women that are smuggled to Europe come from Edo State.

Edo is a predominantly Christian state with a population of 3 million.

In a report by Reuters – Cycle of exploitation turns Nigerian sex slaves in Italy into traffickers – traffickers in Nigeria are exploiting Europe’s migration crisis, moving girls to lawless Libya, before crossing the Mediterranean to Italy, anti-slavery activists say.

“Edo women started going to Italy to buy gold and beads in the early 1980s and saw a thriving market in prostitution,” said Kokunre Eghafona, a professor of sociology and anthropology at the University of Benin and a consultant researcher for the International Organization for Migration (IOM).

“They came back and started taking family and friends.”

These women, known as “madams” – who make up around half of Nigeria’s traffickers, UNDOC says – are mostly former victims-turned-brokers who prey on others to escape prostitution.

Many such traffickers believe they are being helpful rather than doing harm, calling themselves sponsors rather than madams, a more positive title, according to Eghafona.

Speaking from her home in the city of Warri with her one-year-old son crying in the background, madam “Mama Anna” said that with so many girls looking for traffickers to take them to Italy, she no longer needed to deceive or trick them into going.

“Some ask me what they will do when they get there,” said Mama Anna, boasting of her reputation as a broker who sends interested girls to Italy to work for her older sister, also a madam.

“I tell them they will go and hustle,” she said. “They ask: ‘What kind of hustle?’ I tell them. Some refuse to go, others agree.”

BONDED BY DEBT

For an insight into what drives young women to travel to Italy and sell sex, look no further than Uromi, with its pothole-ridden roads and derelict buildings with wells in front yards – evidence of the town’s lack of running water.

One neighbourhood stands out. Its nickname is “Little London” and it is known for sleek, modern houses behind imposing iron gates, many said to be funded from the proceeds of prostitution.

Faith, a 23-year-old hairdresser, travelled more than 300 km (almost 200 miles) to Uromi from her home in Akwa Ibom, dreaming of joining the ranks of thousands of sex workers smuggled to Europe each year.

“I want to go to Italy because I want to make money,” she said. “If it is prostitution, I’ll do it.”

In the past, girls like Faith would have been tricked into prostitution, promised jobs like hairdressing or supermarket before being forced to work for pimps.

“Before, nobody knew – it was a secret thing,” said 30-year-old Anita, who was sex trafficked to Italy in 2011, after being deceived into thinking she was going to work as a hairdresser.

“But now, even children know that when you get there, it is prostitution.”

After escaping her traffickers, Anita spent days on the streets. She was finally arrested and deported back to Nigeria.

Before arranging their passage through contacts in Libya, traffickers like “Mama Anna” make the girls sign a contract to finance their move – leaving them with debts that can spiral to tens of thousands of dollars and take years to pay off.

Girls are then taken to a spiritual priest, who conducts the “juju” rituals designed to bind them to their traffickers.

Such rites instil fear in victims, who believe that they or their relatives may fall ill or die if they disobey their traffickers, go to the police or fail to pay off their debts.

Fearful that the juju “spell” may be turned on them, many Nigerian parents become complicit, insisting that their daughters obey their traffickers, testimony from Italian court documents shows.

It’s then on to Europe via well-trod smuggling routes through Niger and Libya.

Re: 9 In 10 Nigerian Girls Smuggled To Europe From Edo by nicerichard05: 12:03pm On Nov 08, 2016
You Bleep for naija them pay you naira and tou Bleep for europe them pay you euros with one better pass? mcheww abeg mak una leave dem gals jor.
Re: 9 In 10 Nigerian Girls Smuggled To Europe From Edo by nicerichard05: 12:03pm On Nov 08, 2016
You Bleep for naija them pay you naira and tou Bleep for europe them pay you euros with one better pass? mcheww abeg mak una leave dem gals jor.

I still dont knw why its a crime to offer sex and be arrested.
Re: 9 In 10 Nigerian Girls Smuggled To Europe From Edo by thesicilian: 12:10pm On Nov 08, 2016
So? I see no difference between those who do it for money here and those who cross over to Europe to do their business. Or even those students here who run from one guy to the other because of money and iPhones
Re: 9 In 10 Nigerian Girls Smuggled To Europe From Edo by Metroescobar: 12:25pm On Nov 08, 2016
cheesy

Edo babe's too like _fuck runs! Haba....
Re: 9 In 10 Nigerian Girls Smuggled To Europe From Edo by Nobody: 12:43pm On Nov 08, 2016
nicerichard05:

I still dont knw why its a crime to offer sex and be arrested.
thesicilian:
So? I see no difference between those who do it for money here and those who cross over to Europe to do their business. Or even those students here who run from one guy to the other because of money and iPhones

To think I exist in the same generation with people like these is not only condescending but utterly disgraceful and barbaric.

If you can celebrate prostitution, you can as well push your daughter, sisters, nieces and female relatives into trafficking.

2 Likes

Re: 9 In 10 Nigerian Girls Smuggled To Europe From Edo by nicerichard05: 1:38pm On Nov 08, 2016
Bluetooth2:

To think I exist in the same generation with people like these is not only condescending but utterly disgraceful and barbaric.

If you can celebrate prostitution, you can as well push your daughter, sisters, nieces and female relatives into trafficking.

stale. can you swr that you have never fvcked a prostitute before?
Re: 9 In 10 Nigerian Girls Smuggled To Europe From Edo by able20(m): 2:19pm On Nov 08, 2016
Na their inheritance
Re: 9 In 10 Nigerian Girls Smuggled To Europe From Edo by thesicilian: 8:50pm On Nov 08, 2016
Bluetooth2:

The funny thing about life is, a mad man always thinks himself sane and others mad. No offence.
In other words, the ability to tolerate and even welcome diversity of opinions is a hallmark of intelligence that few can boast of.
Re: 9 In 10 Nigerian Girls Smuggled To Europe From Edo by BenBruce4Presdt(f): 9:32pm On Nov 08, 2016
Bluetooth2:

Why don't go and rest..

Leave mata for Mathias!
Re: 9 In 10 Nigerian Girls Smuggled To Europe From Edo by otukpo(f): 9:41pm On Nov 08, 2016
And the madam in the other room promised to fix this.
Re: 9 In 10 Nigerian Girls Smuggled To Europe From Edo by ojimbo(m): 10:55pm On Nov 08, 2016
Bluetooth2:

and those people have not been to Italy to see how terrible life is for those girls and how they go about diagracing and destroying The reputation of Nigeria

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Buhari Will Win In 2019 / SARS Invade Polling Unit, Kill Voter In Rivers Rerun. (Graphic Pics) / BREAKING: Senate Reject Confirmation Of Magu; Confirms Others...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.