Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,112 members, 7,814,902 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:43 PM

Former NBA Star Is Broke And In Debt After Earning $60 Million In 12 Years - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Former NBA Star Is Broke And In Debt After Earning $60 Million In 12 Years (1342 Views)

(pic) See Why Nigeria Is Broke / Man Loses Belongings Over Wife’s N4k Bank Debt (pictured) / Ex-Billionaire Goddy Anabor Goes Broke: His Tragic Fall (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Former NBA Star Is Broke And In Debt After Earning $60 Million In 12 Years by NobiGod: 8:06am On Oct 31, 2009
Re: Former NBA Star Is Broke And In Debt After Earning $60 Million In 12 Years by NobiGod: 8:17am On Oct 31, 2009
"[Walker] liked to move in an outsized entourage; his mother estimates that, during his playing days, he was supporting 70 friends and family memb[ers in one way or another. And speaking of his mother, he built her a mansion in the Chicago suburbs, complete with an indoor pool, 10 bathrooms, and a full-size basketball court.

Living at the Bishops Forest condominium complex in Waltham during the Celtics season, Walker turned the pavement surrounding his home into a virtual luxury car lot — two Bentleys, two Mercedes, a Range Rover, a Cadillac Escalade, a bright red Hummer. Often, the vehicles were tricked out with custom paint jobs, rims, and sound systems at considerable added expense. He also collected top-line watches — Rolexes and diamond-encrusted Cartiers."
Re: Former NBA Star Is Broke And In Debt After Earning $60 Million In 12 Years by SeanT21(f): 8:35am On Oct 31, 2009
70 friends and family members?? Don't these fools have a job. Freaking leaches. I hate the "my family/friend is rich,so i don't have to work" mentality.I hope they did not drop him after the cash stopped rolling in.
Re: Former NBA Star Is Broke And In Debt After Earning $60 Million In 12 Years by NobiGod: 11:00am On Oct 31, 2009
SeanT21:

70 friends and family members?? Don't these fools have a job. Freaking leeches. I hate the "my family/friend is rich,so i don't have to work" mentality.I hope they did not drop him after the cash stopped rolling in.

They were certainly part of his down fall but he also developed bad habbits. He was soaked in gambling, lost 700- 800k to Jordan a night (I hope we won't be reading of Jordan's bankruptcy any time soon). Aside the generousity to his mum he was just plain stupid.
Re: Former NBA Star Is Broke And In Debt After Earning $60 Million In 12 Years by Fhemmmy: 5:37pm On Oct 31, 2009
NobiGod:

They were certainly part of his down fall but he also developed bad habbits. He was soaked in gambling, lost 700- 800k to Jordan a night (I hope we won't be reading of Jordan's bankruptcy any time soon). Aside the generousity to his mum he was just plain stupid.

Jordan is a smart athlete, you will never see nor read of his being broke . . . for every NIKE product you buy, Jordan is getting paid.
Re: Former NBA Star Is Broke And In Debt After Earning $60 Million In 12 Years by NobiGod: 6:10pm On Oct 31, 2009
Fhemmmy:

Jordan is a smart athlete, you will never see nor read of his being broke . . . for every NIKE product you buy, Jordan is getting paid.

I know Jordan is smart with investment in chains of hospitality business(restaurant) and Nike air deal. However, I don't know details of his Nike deal so I won't say much there but who says he still can't go broke with his gambling habbits?
Re: Former NBA Star Is Broke And In Debt After Earning $60 Million In 12 Years by Nobody: 11:25pm On Oct 31, 2009
@poster
it doesnt matter if it was 60mill or 500mill, that guy would have lost it all anyway. . . . . . . . . .
this is the poor mans syndrome which gives him a NEED to flash his cash the minute he gets any.
a smart educated person would have had advisors/bankers etc to help this nba star invest WISELY in different SAFE venture that would have made him double his money over time.
instead this guy had friends who advised him on what rides/house to get and which clubs to go to. . . . . . . and like always, when the money ran out, most friend did too.
Re: Former NBA Star Is Broke And In Debt After Earning $60 Million In 12 Years by chic2pimp(m): 3:04am On Nov 01, 2009
NobiGod:

That ain't gonna happen anytime soon. The dude earns about 50 million dollars yearly on endorsement & comercials.

Antoine Walker was just plain daft and stupid. It's as simple as that.
Re: Former NBA Star Is Broke And In Debt After Earning $60 Million In 12 Years by mbulela: 6:35am On Nov 02, 2009
the source o his problem is plain or all to see.
GAMBLING.

it can ruin anyone, from Jordan to Ronaldo to Yobo.
That habit is no respecter of persons and the richer the better.
Re: Former NBA Star Is Broke And In Debt After Earning $60 Million In 12 Years by suxes2005(m): 11:25pm On Nov 03, 2009
mbulela:

the source o his problem is plain or all to see.
GAMBLING.

it can ruin anyone, from Jordan to Ronaldo to Yobo.
That habit is no respecter of persons and the richer the better.

I never knew Yobo was/is a gambler. Well wat goes up comes down but it depends on what u realy throw up and d way u expect it to come down. IT would have come down for him in a guud way if he had invested at least little.

So money dey backet ball and i dey do internet marketing.

SHALOM
Re: Former NBA Star Is Broke And In Debt After Earning $60 Million In 12 Years by paddylo1(m): 3:49pm On Nov 04, 2009
Dude shoulda moved to naija, cant go broke in naija with that kinda money, no joke though it seems they set up the system here so u can loose your money very easily, especially rich peeps, ever heard the saying, "its cheaper to keep her", yea u can loose half your wealth in an instant if your wife decides to divorce u one morning, god bless u if u have kids on top, thats why NAS is paying a fortune to kelis monthly, something like $50,000 a month, fk that
Re: Former NBA Star Is Broke And In Debt After Earning $60 Million In 12 Years by Nobody: 11:30pm On Nov 04, 2009
Jordan is known to be a BIG gambler too but he has always been smart enough to play with money he CAN loose.

(1) (Reply)

How Can I Become A Clearing Agent? / Master Mind Group Join Now / We Need Zircon Sand Supply Contract:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.