Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,630 members, 7,813,086 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:44 AM

Yoruba And Eegun Clash In Ajah, Lagos As They Burn Houses - Crime (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Yoruba And Eegun Clash In Ajah, Lagos As They Burn Houses (43091 Views)

Revenge: Police Burn Houses In Aba, Properties Destroyed (Photos) / Fulani Herdsmen Attack Shimba In Adamawa By 12 Midnight. Burn Houses / Fulani Herdsmen Kill Adamawa Villagers, Burn Houses (Graphic Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba And Eegun Clash In Ajah, Lagos As They Burn Houses by 4peace(m): 5:45am On Nov 10, 2016
bigfrancis21:

Here is a video of an Ogu, Agbaosi Sevezun, from Badagry speaking on public TV where she reasserted her identity to be Ogu or Gunu/GNU.
Fast forward to 6:47 and enjoy.

https://www.facebook.com/princetoyinojora/videos/vb.100001095237509/1109481422431688/?type=2&theater

Please note, I did not say the Ogus are not Yoruba. They said it themselves. Please don't come here pointing fingers at me.

The Ogu people are beginning to restore their language and customs. Their ethnic consciousness is starting to rise in numbers. Lagos is their native homeland, [b]which makes up 15% of Lagos state. [/b]They are also found in Ipokia LGA of Ogun state.

Where did you get that figure?
Re: Yoruba And Eegun Clash In Ajah, Lagos As They Burn Houses by blueskies(f): 7:16am On Nov 10, 2016
bigfrancis21:

Ogus are not Yorubas. They have their own native language which is not a yoruba dialect. You are confusing native yoruba dialects such as Egba, ijesha etc with Ogu. In this case Ogu isn't a Yoruba dialect but a different language of its own. Just because they are bilingual in. Yoruba doesn't mean they are Yorubas. Their blood brothers are in Benin republic where they speak the Fon dialect of Gbe languages and the Ogu people speak the Gun dialect. Please educate yourself. They are not Yorubas.
am not talkin about whether they'r yorubas or not in dis context, wat am sayin is u tryin to prove an irrelevant point by askin him to interpret that dialet, like I said der ar many dialets in d yorua lang. I may understand one and b able to pen it down but I may nt b able with another. That doesn't make any of d folks dat speak dese dialets less yoruba. That point u made is invalid
Re: Yoruba And Eegun Clash In Ajah, Lagos As They Burn Houses by bigfrancis21: 8:03am On Nov 10, 2016
blueskies:
am not talkin about whether they'r yorubas or not in dis context, wat am sayin is u tryin to prove an irrelevant point by askin him to interpret that dialet, like I said der ar many dialets in d yorua lang. I may understand one and b able to pen it down but I may nt b able with another. That doesn't make any of d folks dat speak dese dialets less yoruba. That point u made is invalid

You are pushing your luck to hard. Don't teach me about ethnic groups and a collection of related dialects mutually intelligible to each other which I already know. Ogu native language is NOT a Yoruba dialect. That is the difference and this is where you are getting it all wrong. Their numeral counting system is DIFFERENT from Yoruba. Their names, words, are different from Yoruba. Ogu has 'z' and 'v' letters in their alphabet which Yoruba does NOT have. It is a different language from Yoruba. Their language has varieties of dialects including Thevi, Whla, Seto and Toli. According to your reasoning, it is just like claiming that Hausa is a dialect of Yoruba, even though you're unable to interpret nor understand Hausa, but 'it is a dialect of Yoruba solely because some Hausas speak Yoruba' when Hausa is a totally different language from Yoruba. That is what Ogu is to Yoruba.

Don't be close minded here. The Ogu people are spread across Benin republic and Nigeria. They start from Lagos and stretch westwards into Benin republic and they speak related Fon languages. Their brothers on the other side of the border do NOT speak Yoruba at all. Those on the other side are bilingual in Ogu and Yoruba but it does not make them Yorubas.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba And Eegun Clash In Ajah, Lagos As They Burn Houses by Wiseandtrue(f): 9:19am On Nov 10, 2016
shocked
Lajet:
Half of Lagos state land belong to Egun Tribe . Please my Yoruba brothers should stop causing trouble and respect there host.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba And Eegun Clash In Ajah, Lagos As They Burn Houses by mohemos: 9:44am On Nov 10, 2016
I am an Egun, we are not Yoruba although we are categorized under Yoruba in term of WAZOBIA just as south south are categorized under Igbo and Fulani under Hausa.
Our Language has no similarities with Yoruba. We dominate Badagry & some part of Ojo area of Lagos, we are also at some part of Ogun state. Our language is closer to Republic of Benin than Nigeria.
My Egun name is MIFIRINSO (Remember tomorrow in whatever you're doing) and HENNUHO ( The family's Speech )

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba And Eegun Clash In Ajah, Lagos As They Burn Houses by naijacampu(m): 9:59am On Nov 10, 2016
mohemos:
I am an Egun, we are not Yoruba although we are categorized under Yoruba in term of WAZOBIA just as south south are categorized under Igbo and Fulani under Hausa.
Our Language has no similarities with Yoruba. We dominate Badagry & some part of Ojo area of Lagos, we are also at some part of Ogun state. Our language is closer to Republic of Benin than Nigeria.
My Egun name is MIFIRINSO (Remember tomorrow in whatever you're doing) and HENNUHO ( The family's Speech )
Thanks for the clarification, Egun is Egun, Yoruba is Yoruba.

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba And Eegun Clash In Ajah, Lagos As They Burn Houses by bigfrancis21: 5:48pm On Nov 10, 2016
blueskies:

mohemos:

1 Like

Re: Yoruba And Eegun Clash In Ajah, Lagos As They Burn Houses by Nobody: 9:45pm On Nov 10, 2016
Bigfrancis21, So Lagos doesn't belong to Yoruba's indeed?
Indeed Yoruba's are limited to Ekiti, Ondo, Part of Kwara, Osun, Oyo and Ogun.
#Wonderful.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba And Eegun Clash In Ajah, Lagos As They Burn Houses by bigfrancis21: 5:43am On Nov 11, 2016
Funnicator:

#Wonderful.

I never said so. Please quote where I implied such, explicitly or implicitly. Or else you're just making stuff up.
Re: Yoruba And Eegun Clash In Ajah, Lagos As They Burn Houses by ariesbull: 8:00am On Nov 11, 2016
Funnicator:

#Wonderful.

Sir we have ijaws also in Ondo
We have Fulani , Nupe in Kwara also si it's not 100 ℅ Yoruba thing

1 Like

Re: Yoruba And Eegun Clash In Ajah, Lagos As They Burn Houses by Olu317(m): 8:14pm On Nov 11, 2016
Egu doesn't own Lagos at aaaalllll. Take it ,leave it or ignore it. It is up to you. Egu are practically a group of people at Badagry local government environment. And in that locality, comprises with them Yoruba people strategically Aworis. Abule APA a proper establish Yoruba settlement is even more older than Badagry which under the same local government . Badagry was a Yoruba word for the escapees of war that ran towards that location in those days .Primarily Yoruba people with Egu . That spot was where the two settled. And thereafter, the place continue to grow to this day. Abadagiri or agbeederigee was the original name of the place, a word used for war escapees that found their way to that spot(people who run toward a direction hurriedly).However some other view was that the name was coined out for farm and farm settlement .The was the name given to the Egu people that Yoruba resettled with . The King of Badagry has a Yoruba and Egu lineage.
Re: Yoruba And Eegun Clash In Ajah, Lagos As They Burn Houses by iamdotune(m): 10:43pm On Nov 11, 2016
CandyDiamond:

You are not an Awori,no Awori person claim to be yoloba,even Ijebus link their ancestry to Sudan, A Yoruba person can't hear Awori language. Egun language is entirely different from yoloba language.They have Awori and Egun news on LTV before, their language sound some how not related to Yoruba
you are a fool.. I'm awori, Aworis are Yoruba even the yoruba most ppl speak is a secondary awori... Aworis originated from Oyo which they settled in Lagos before the prince of Benin came to Lagos and they made him their leader.. They made Lagos their barracks and named it Eko which means barracks in Egun, before the Portuguese mercenaries named Lagos after a place in their country just cause it looks the same

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba And Eegun Clash In Ajah, Lagos As They Burn Houses by Olu317(m): 9:06am On Nov 12, 2016
Don't mind candyDiamond, he thinks like a proper Ibo boy who has no true knowledge of history but a fabricated one to suit themselves. I have hardly seen any group that the Ibos claim as part of their group or tribe and NOT DENY them. Nobody want to identify with Ibos of the south East despite the fact that some people bears Ibo names outside the south East. Yoruba will always be Yoruba from the central part of Nigeria either in Kabba region even around Lokoja to kwara Ilorin which has an Emir, still,the indigene always continue to lay claim to Yoruba Race, down to part of edo state ibiilo, part of Akoko Edo, Delta state, precisely olukumi's and environs as well as itsekiri land. Can't they see with their eyes?, Awori owns a large portion of Lagos. How come some people with Igbos will say Lagos is no man's Land. Stupid and unlettered Igbos' generation with no sense of projection for the future
Re: Yoruba And Eegun Clash In Ajah, Lagos As They Burn Houses by iamdotune(m): 10:45am On Nov 12, 2016
Olu317:
Don't mind candyDiamond, he thinks like a proper Ibo boy who has no true knowledge of history but a fabricated one to suit themselves. I have hardly seen any group that the Ibos claim as part of their group or tribe and NOT DENY them. Nobody want to identify with Ibos of the south East despite the fact that some people bears Ibo names outside the south East. Yoruba will always be Yoruba from the central part of Nigeria either in Kabba region even around Lokoja to kwara Ilorin which has an Emir, still,the indigene always continue to lay claim to Yoruba Race, down to part of edo state ibiilo, part of Akoko Edo, Delta state, precisely olukumi's and environs as well as itsekiri land. Can't they see with their eyes?, Awori owns a large portion of Lagos. How come some people with Igbos will say Lagos is no man's Land. Stupid and unlettered Igbos' generation with no sense of projection for the future

Very gullible ppl.. imagine saying awori isn't Yoruba grin
Then who else wants to be Yoruba, they think Yoruba is another tribe on its own not knowing it's the general name for a race which all tribes are categorised under it

1 Like

Re: Yoruba And Eegun Clash In Ajah, Lagos As They Burn Houses by bigfrancis21: 6:02pm On Nov 12, 2016
iamdotune:
you are a fool.. I'm awori, Aworis are Yoruba even the yoruba most ppl speak is a secondary awori... Aworis originated from Oyo which they settled in Lagos before the prince of Benin came to Lagos and they made him their leader.. They made Lagos their barracks and named it Eko which means barracks in Egun, before the Portuguese mercenaries named Lagos after a place in their country just cause it looks the same

False history. The binis conquered Lagos and gave it the name, 'ere eko' or 'eko' for short. Why do you people like re-writing history or what? Eko comes from bini and not Yoruba.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba And Eegun Clash In Ajah, Lagos As They Burn Houses by bigfrancis21: 6:04pm On Nov 12, 2016
Olu317:

Story for the gods. Itsekiris, Ogu and Igalas are not Yorubas. Aworis, Ijebus, Ikales etc deny being Yoruba. That's the status on ground.
Re: Yoruba And Eegun Clash In Ajah, Lagos As They Burn Houses by Olu317(m): 7:44pm On Nov 12, 2016
bigfrancis21:

Story for the gods. Itsekiris, Ogu and Igalas are not Yorubas. Aworis, Ijebus, Ikales etc deny being Yoruba. That's the status on ground.
.... Sorry for life, go and books written by itsekiri historians,not even Yoruba writers. Burry yourselves in shame. I didn't even know you didn't go to school, did I mention Igala or ogu?, you suffer from knowledge dehydration. I mentioned Kabba ..Get off this piece, you that's not compliant with reality.
Re: Yoruba And Eegun Clash In Ajah, Lagos As They Burn Houses by Olu317(m): 7:45pm On Nov 12, 2016
bigfrancis21:

.... Sorry for your life, go and read books written by itsekiri historians,not even Yoruba writers. Burry yourselves in shame. I didn't even know you didn't go to school, did I mention Igala or ogu?, you suffer from knowledge dehydration. I mentioned Kabba ..Get off this piece, you that's not compliant with reality. grin
bigfrancis21:

.... Sorry for life, go and books written by itsekiri historians,not even Yoruba writers. Burry yourselves in shame. I didn't even know you didn't go to school, did I mention Igala or ogu?, you suffer from knowledge dehydration. I mentioned Kabba ..Get off this piece, you that's not compliant with reality.
Re: Yoruba And Eegun Clash In Ajah, Lagos As They Burn Houses by iamdotune(m): 1:23am On Nov 14, 2016
bigfrancis21:

False history. The binis conquered Lagos and gave it the name, 'ere eko' or 'eko' for short. Why do you people like re-writing history or what? Eko comes from bini and not Yoruba.
your are daft and ur sensible to everything senseless only.. show me where I said Eko came from Yoruba.. you suffer from knowledge dehydration like Olu317 said, not surprised tho, u also quoted him senselessly and off point

Mumu!

1 Like

Re: Yoruba And Eegun Clash In Ajah, Lagos As They Burn Houses by sshy: 12:42pm On May 29, 2017
Hi, call me on this number: 08188588576, I gat a deal for u
mohemos:
Re: Yoruba And Eegun Clash In Ajah, Lagos As They Burn Houses by onagon7: 10:06am On Aug 19, 2017
Awori people resulted from a mixture of Ebira-Koto and Ugbo/Ilaje peoples. in 12th century, Igbira (Apa) people under their warlord called Odaudu (Oduduwa) migrated from ancient Ebira Kingdom of Opanda to Ife and conquered Ugbo/Orinsala aborigins of Ile-Ife. after he overthrew the Alafin/Olofin of Ugbo in Ife and Oyo, he and his Ebira warriors went to Benin (Igodomigodo) and overthrown the Ogiso and Uzama dynasties. Oranmiyan was not a son or grandson of Oduduwa. you have to know that Oduduwa is the same person which Yorubas called Oranmiyan/Oloko or Oranyan who was an Ebira warrior and conqueror from ancient Igbira Kingdom of Opanda which was called Kwararafa by Hausas. aboriginal Ugbos of Ife called him "Oduduwa". from Benin in 17th century, those Igbira warriors under their leader called Ado (Ada) migrates to Lagos Island and conquered and mix with Ugbo/Ilaje aborigins and some people called Fon. this mixture of Igbira with Ugbo and Fon people in Lagos area gave rise to Awori people and their language.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Television Thief Breaks Into A House To Steal. See What Happened After / Herbalist Storms Yahooboy's Home To Demand Her Share Of His "Collection" (Vid) / Nigerian Girls Saved From Prostitution In Ghana, Narrate Their Ordeal (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.