Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,304 members, 7,819,032 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:17 AM

What The Uk Thinks About The Killing Of Snakes In Nigeria And Africa - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / What The Uk Thinks About The Killing Of Snakes In Nigeria And Africa (1946 Views)

My Boerboel Dog Killed These 3 Snakes In 2 Weeks / How Can I Drive Away Snakes In My House / Top 10 Non-venomous Snakes In The World With Pictures. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What The Uk Thinks About The Killing Of Snakes In Nigeria And Africa by henrydadon(m): 10:11pm On Nov 09, 2016
I FOUND THIS ARTICLE ON THE DAILY MAIL UK WEBSITE
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3920746/Villagers-kill-GIGANTIC-swollen-snake-thought-eaten-livestock-discover-filled-scores-eggs.html#comments

Locals who killed a huge snake after suspecting it of having eaten a calf because of its swollen stomach discovered it was pregnant with dozens of eggs.
The incident happened in Nigeria where local media said the snake had been killed over accusations it had been feasting on farmers’ livestock.
However as these images show, the snake was not overweight because of its last meal, it was actually pregnant

After being cut open, dozens of eggs were found and removed by locals who regard them as a rare delicacy.
Although it was not clear what sort of snake it was, many snakes can produce up to 100 eggs at a time.
Online commentators seem to have little sympathy with the snake, with most pointing out that it was a good thing that around a hundred baby snakes would no longer be born.
Judging by the size of the snake, which appears to be almost a foot wide and several meters long, it looks like an anaconda.
But with the species of anaconda restricted to South America, it is likely the pictured snake is an African rock python.

Males are typically smaller than females, who can grow up to and beyond 4.8m in length.
There have been some reports of African rock pythons, which is the continent's biggest snake and one of the world's largest, growing up to a massive 6m in length.
Less reliable sources from back in the 1950s claim one 7m pregnant python was killed with a 1.5m infant inside it and a second beast - measuring 7.5m - was also shot dead.
Like all pythons, the African rock python is non-venomous and kills its prey by constriction.
After gripping the prey, the snake coils around it, tightening its coils every time the victim breathes out.
Death is thought to be caused by cardiac arrest rather than by asphyxiation or crushing.
The African rock python feeds on a variety of large rodents, monkeys, warthog, antelopes, fruit bats, monitor lizards and even crocodiles in forest areas,
and on rats, poultry, dogs and goats in suburban areas. Occasionally, it may eat the cubs of big cats such as leopards, lions, and cheetahs and puppies of big dogs such as hyenas and cape-hunting dogs

Re: What The Uk Thinks About The Killing Of Snakes In Nigeria And Africa by henrydadon(m): 10:13pm On Nov 09, 2016
these are comment found on the website and people opinion

Re: What The Uk Thinks About The Killing Of Snakes In Nigeria And Africa by Blakjewelry(m): 10:21pm On Nov 09, 2016
Left for Nigerians alone all animals would have become endangered species

2 Likes

Re: What The Uk Thinks About The Killing Of Snakes In Nigeria And Africa by talktonase(m): 10:24pm On Nov 09, 2016
With the hunger in this recession people will eat anything....
Re: What The Uk Thinks About The Killing Of Snakes In Nigeria And Africa by Namdeenero(m): 8:46am On Nov 10, 2016
I'm sure some zoo will pay a good amount of money for A African rock python. . Some people no just get sense
Re: What The Uk Thinks About The Killing Of Snakes In Nigeria And Africa by phranklyn92(m): 2:33pm On Nov 11, 2016
See this british people talking anyhow...i dont blame dem. They dont know the meaning of starvation
Re: What The Uk Thinks About The Killing Of Snakes In Nigeria And Africa by EdDave(m): 3:20am On Nov 12, 2016
Where the füç.k are all these snakes coming from? undecided
Re: What The Uk Thinks About The Killing Of Snakes In Nigeria And Africa by rawpadgin(m): 10:04pm On Dec 04, 2016
with the way the country dey go, hopefully human nor go start to eat human
Re: What The Uk Thinks About The Killing Of Snakes In Nigeria And Africa by Collenshy2020(m): 7:01am On Dec 05, 2016
Snakes delicacy seems yummy.
Ndi ocha na ko bull shitt.

Lala Lala hope you get lucky by killing ur own snake, dat day go gbasky gan.
Re: What The Uk Thinks About The Killing Of Snakes In Nigeria And Africa by iykofias(m): 10:40am On Dec 05, 2016
who have seen my crush,selenaqueensy
Re: What The Uk Thinks About The Killing Of Snakes In Nigeria And Africa by iykofias(m): 10:48am On Dec 05, 2016
for ds kin hardship , snake egg follow cum board oh grin
Re: What The Uk Thinks About The Killing Of Snakes In Nigeria And Africa by Nobody: 12:58am On Dec 29, 2016
why are they concerned that these snakes turned out like those "meals"
they should just let nature take its course.
Re: What The Uk Thinks About The Killing Of Snakes In Nigeria And Africa by EddyNumerouno(m): 7:52am On Dec 29, 2016
Stupid coments

(1) (Reply)

7 Months Old Female German Shepherd Slant Back / My New Baby / Top Notch Male Slant Back Gsd For Sale...biggest Bone...14weeks Old...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.