Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,172 members, 7,811,410 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:08 AM

My Ordeal With The Nigerian Policemen - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Ordeal With The Nigerian Policemen (2431 Views)

Some Mechanics Cannot Make Heaven - Read AIT's Presenter Ordeal With A Mechanic / 2 Reasons Nigeria Policemen Like To Stop Suvs At Checkpoints / Policemen Cross Road With Rope In Minna When Trafficlight Turns Red (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Ordeal With The Nigerian Policemen by Nobody: 10:46pm On Nov 09, 2016
Firstly, let me state that I'm a graduate of Delsu and so I'm aware of how police harras students who used cars. As a student I used a Camry car which was fully registered. And also registered with the police, if you understand what I mean, you have to register with the police so as to avoid embarrassment by the police. Thus I never hard any problems with the officers of the law as a student until yesterday and then I really understood what people have really been complaining about the police.
So yesterday I decided to see a couple of friends and my cousin who was recently admitted in school. I used a newly purchased venza hybrid for the journey and I went alone. On my way I met like three police checkpoint, and went past them after the usual "Roger". On getting close to obiaroko I met another checkpoint and I was flaged to stop, which I did, on winding down, I was asked to park at the side of the road which I did, I pulled over, came down from the car. The officer looked at me from head to toe and asked if the car was mine and I said yes, he requested for my tinted glass permit, because the windows were tinted, I provided it, then he asked for my driving license, I provided that as well. He took it left me went to meet other officers then came back he requested for my insurance certificate and proof of ownership which I had. I knew he wasn't supposed to ask for proof of ownership but I didn't want problems with him so I showed him, then again he kept requesting for irrelevant documents like vehicle purchase document and receipt of number plate, which I provided. Upon providing all these documents he asked to search the car, which I allowed him to, then also he asked me how I was able to purchase such type of car at my age, I told him I'm into business, then he asked what business I was into I told him it wasn't his call to ask me such question. Upon saying that he then left and called the head of the team, who was an Hausa man. They kept interrogating me to extent of them asking me to give them my phone which I did, knowing that I had all important things encrypted, they found certain photos on the phone and then tagged me yahoo yahoo. I tried to passify them so as to let me go because I was in haste, they declined and then I was asked to drive them to Abraka police station where I was arrested and asked to contact my parent or sleep in cell. It was really embarrassing and downgrading. I contacted my mum and aunt who came immediately to the police station. Before they could arrive, I was already been manhandled by the police, so as to make me comprise and accept to been into yahoo yahoo. My mum and aunt came, we were taken to meet the DPO and to cut the long story short, after much pleading we where asked to settle the police with the sum of one hundred and fifty thousand naira which we did and I was finally set free, even though my face was already swollen by then. That was my experience with the police yesterday. Still recovering from the bruises and shock till now cry

1 Like

Re: My Ordeal With The Nigerian Policemen by ReneeNuttall(f): 10:55pm On Nov 09, 2016
Welcome to nija grin
Re: My Ordeal With The Nigerian Policemen by diportivo: 11:02pm On Nov 09, 2016
150k roger

Highest na 5k o

Hungry policemen for dat matter

Kpsheeeew
Re: My Ordeal With The Nigerian Policemen by Nobody: 11:06pm On Nov 09, 2016
diportivo:
150k roger

Highest na 5k o

Hungry policemen for dat matter

Kpsheeeew
My bro, at dat point we no get option dan to settle dem, b4 I go reach zone 4 embarassed
Re: My Ordeal With The Nigerian Policemen by Nobody: 11:08pm On Nov 09, 2016
ReneeNuttall:
Welcome to nija grin
Cry no let me Cary yesterday embarassed

1 Like

Re: My Ordeal With The Nigerian Policemen by dokyOloye: 11:23pm On Nov 09, 2016
U:definitely:have:a:cockroach:in:Ur:cupboard:for:U:and:especially:your:mother:to:agree:to:settle:and:for:such:a:large:amount.Mothers:that:I:know:will:hardly:give:even:2k:if:they:are:sure:your:hands:are:clean:

2 Likes

Re: My Ordeal With The Nigerian Policemen by mayor2013: 11:25pm On Nov 09, 2016
150k? Buhari must hear this. This is Complete kwaruption grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Ordeal With The Nigerian Policemen by oglalasioux(m): 11:26pm On Nov 09, 2016
Hmm.

sorry.

Mine was that they said my Toyota Corolla 2008 model was used for robbery. I practically heard one of them make a call telling someone to ask criminals in the cell to implicate me when they bring me in as a suspect. They also told me how my face will be swollen by the time anyone came for me. I forgot big grammar and parted with everything I had on me. I remembered I was in Nigeria. The most useless country in the southern hemisphere.

4 Likes

Re: My Ordeal With The Nigerian Policemen by Nobody: 11:34pm On Nov 09, 2016
dokyOloye:
U:definitely:have:a:cockroach:in:Ur:cupboard:for:U:and:especially:your:mother:to:agree:to:settle:and:for:such:a:large:amount.Mothers:that:I:know:will:hardly:give:even:2k:if:they:are:sure:your:hands:are:clean:

Ofcourse, he's a Yahoo boy. I no be Yahoo boy, I go come pay 150k like that unto say una torture me? Even the DPO go smell him anus - Yaasin!

Na this kind job sef my family lawyer dey like pass.

5 Likes

Re: My Ordeal With The Nigerian Policemen by Nobody: 11:43pm On Nov 09, 2016
oglalasioux:
Hmm.

sorry.

Mine was that they said my Toyota Corolla 2008 model was used for robbery. I practically heard one of them make a call telling someone to ask criminals in the cell to implicate me when they bring me in as a suspect. They also told me how my face will be swollen by the time anyone came for me. I forgot big grammar and parted with everything I had on me. I remembered I was in Nigeria. The most useless country in the southern hemisphere.
Yea. They just have a way making guilty even though you're not...They are really wicked people

1 Like

Re: My Ordeal With The Nigerian Policemen by Nobody: 11:47pm On Nov 09, 2016
Zoharariel:

Ofcourse, he's a Yahoo boy. I no be Yahoo boy, I go come pay 150k like that unto say una torture me? Even the DPO go smell him anus - Yaasin!

Na this kind job sef my family lawyer dey like pass.
Bro you just haven't met them yet. They will always look for ways to rope you into trouble.

1 Like

Re: My Ordeal With The Nigerian Policemen by afanide: 11:52pm On Nov 09, 2016
Sorry

1 Like

Re: My Ordeal With The Nigerian Policemen by Nobody: 11:59pm On Nov 09, 2016
afanide:
Sorry
Thanks embarassed embarassed
Re: My Ordeal With The Nigerian Policemen by Nobody: 12:00am On Nov 10, 2016
mayor2013:
150k? Buhari must hear this. This is Complete kwaruption grin
Walahi....Very big kwaruption cry
Re: My Ordeal With The Nigerian Policemen by Nobody: 12:01am On Nov 10, 2016
dokyOloye:
Ayam not understanding embarassed embarassed
Re: My Ordeal With The Nigerian Policemen by lonelydora: 12:38am On Nov 10, 2016
People always settle your problem on the road than police station. Once you reach station, whatever they say is the truth, and you may be in cell when the negotiation is going on.

I don't understand how policemen will just tag someone 'yahoo yahoo' without any evidence.

1 Like

Re: My Ordeal With The Nigerian Policemen by Kjnwancaro: 2:19am On Nov 10, 2016
Op I can't believe you admit to owning the car without a verifiable source of income. Like that is not enough you went on to leave tools on your phone.

1 Like

Re: My Ordeal With The Nigerian Policemen by JBUZZ: 4:42am On Nov 10, 2016
Before you step out every day pray that God protects you from Police wahala

1 Like

Re: My Ordeal With The Nigerian Policemen by Nobody: 5:20am On Nov 10, 2016
lonelydora:
People always settle your problem on the road than police station. Once you reach station, whatever they say is the truth, and you may be in cell when the negotiation is going on.

I don't understand how policemen will just tag someone 'yahoo yahoo' without any evidence.
Exactly, bro you so right, once you get to the station its an entirely more difficult problem you're about to face.

1 Like

Re: My Ordeal With The Nigerian Policemen by Nobody: 5:23am On Nov 10, 2016
JBUZZ:
Before you step out every day pray that God protects you from Police wahala
I will always do that from now henceforth, because what I went through was hell.

1 Like

Re: My Ordeal With The Nigerian Policemen by nams77: 6:05am On Nov 10, 2016
@op. I am speechless! Anyway, sorry for the kponsing. As original warri boy, you understand the language. But una no know any lawyer? I cannot cough 150k to any bloody uniform man. Lastly, try settle ya case before matter reach station.
Re: My Ordeal With The Nigerian Policemen by Nobody: 6:20am On Nov 10, 2016
nams77:
@op. I am speechless! Anyway, sorry for the kponsing. As original warri boy, you understand the language. But una no know any lawyer? I cannot cough 150k to any bloody uniform man. Lastly, try settle ya case before matter reach station.
The thing is that that point in time my reasoning was probably not normal, my mind didn't go anywhere near getting a lawyer. But in case of next time I would do just that.
Re: My Ordeal With The Nigerian Policemen by ReneeNuttall(f): 9:07am On Nov 10, 2016
Chepy1:
Cry no let me Cary yesterday embarassed
Everybody can testify to the Havocs committed by those hoodlums called police,just last week,my kid bro was arrested while buying suya ,reasons being that he wore red polo and palm slippers,so they tagged him a cultist.u can imagine that,we had to cuff out 15000 just to bail him.
Re: My Ordeal With The Nigerian Policemen by Nobody: 10:46am On Nov 10, 2016
ReneeNuttall:

Everybody can testify to the Havocs committed by those hoodlums called police,just last week,my kid bro was arrested while buying suya ,reasons being that he wore red polo and palm slippers,so they tagged him a cultist.u can imagine that,we had to cuff out 15000 just to bail him.
God will surely punish them embarassed embarassed
Re: My Ordeal With The Nigerian Policemen by obitryce(m): 4:38pm On Nov 10, 2016
Sorry about your ordeal but firstly you didn't mention the type of business you do and secondly know your rights. Police has no right to go through your phone.
Kindly find below a 24hr/365 days Police complaints contacts to call immediately, whenever you encounter such situation and have your issue resolved swiftly by well mannered and educated senior officers ciao.

1. 08057000001

2. 08057000002

1 Like

Re: My Ordeal With The Nigerian Policemen by Nobody: 3:00am On Nov 11, 2016
obitryce:
Sorry about your ordeal but firstly you didn't mention the type of business you do and secondly know your rights. Police has no right to go through your phone.
Kindly find below a 24hr/365 days Police complaints contacts to call immediately, whenever you encounter such situation and have your issue resolved swiftly by well mannered and educated senior officers ciao.

1. 08057000001

2. 08057000002
Thanks man
Re: My Ordeal With The Nigerian Policemen by fabienjoe: 4:12pm On Nov 11, 2016
obitryce:

1. 08057000001

2. 08057000002

We must understand that policemen have wide powers. They have powers to arrest under 'reasonable suspicion'. It is only they that can determine what the reasonable suspicion is. They however have no right to manhandle you. They can equally search your phone if they suspect it is used for criminal activities. It is only the courts that would determine when they overstep their bounds. The law also imposes a limit on how long they can keep you without charge. Even at points of entry in Europe and the US, immigration officials sometimes go through peoples' phone if they think it could be useful in their law enforcement activities. For the case in question, N150,000 is rather steep but it seems there is something you are not telling us, otherwise engaging a lawyer would solve that with less than one-tenth of that amount. And need I add, same day as well.
Re: My Ordeal With The Nigerian Policemen by symbianDON(m): 8:01pm On Nov 11, 2016
oglalasioux:
The most useless country in the southern hemisphere.
southern hemisphere abi the entire universe; jupiter, mars, mercury and even pluto inclusive
Re: My Ordeal With The Nigerian Policemen by sultaan(m): 9:10pm On Nov 11, 2016
Apparently some people here believe it is ok for the police to arrest you on suspicion of being a yahoo boy.

If that is applicable in the modern world then they should have arrested Mark Zuckerberg when he came into Nigeria being the biggest yahoo boy on the planet. Not a joking matter but those guys started from somewhere our society work to destroy; path of success.
Anytime they see young person on that path and we knock on them with the idea that they should not have any form of success young.
The society will end up full of older poor people no vibrant youth, no role models.

OP, if you have the names of the officers and their badge number post it and then your story will hold.

DPO's name station can be included too.

If at any point policemen are abusing their authority just note the names and badge number and post online or report to appropriate agency if any exists.
Re: My Ordeal With The Nigerian Policemen by fabienjoe: 10:00pm On Nov 11, 2016
sultaan:
Apparently some people here believe it is ok for the police to arrest you on suspicion of being a yahoo boy.

If that is applicable in the modern world then they should have arrested Mark Zuckerberg when he came into Nigeria being the biggest yahoo boy on the planet. Not a joking matter but those guys started from somewhere our society work to destroy; path of success.
Anytime they see young person on that path and we knock on them with the idea that they should not have any form of success young.
The society will end up full of older poor people no vibrant youth, no role models.

OP, if you have the names of the officers and their badge number post it and then your story will hold.

DPO's name station can be included too.

If at any point policemen are abusing their authority just note the names and badge number and post online or report to appropriate agency if any exists.

The police can arrest you if they suspect you are a criminal. However, you have your rights. They should not manhandle you and should not detain you beyond the stipulated time. That is the major reason many blacks are having running battle with the police in the US. It is called profiling. You look like a criminal so we should question you. Yes, they have such powers..Not sure how you got Mark Zuckerberg into the issue. Many people earn legitimate living online. That does not make them criminals. If the police suspects they are criminals, they should be questioned. If nothing untoward is found on them, they should be released. If their rights were abridged in the process, they can go to court to seek redress. However, if a policeman consistently arrests people he cannot sustain charges against in courts, his professionalism and competence would be called to question. He may face disciplinary procedure and could be sacked. The same applies if an arrested person successfully claims damages for incidents connected to his arrest.

2 Likes

Re: My Ordeal With The Nigerian Policemen by fabienjoe: 10:41pm On Nov 11, 2016
One case comes to mind here. A suspected terrorist was arrested in the US and his iPhone was seized by the police. However, they were unable to unlock the phone to access its contents. The suspect refused to unlock it. The police went to apple but they declined as well. They now went to court to obtain an order compelling apple to unlock the phone as a matter of national security. The case was still on when the police IT experts were able to hack into the phone and the case was discontinued. The problem is that our policemen here are poorly trained and therefore abuse the enormous powers they have.
Re: My Ordeal With The Nigerian Policemen by thegame(m): 10:05am On Nov 12, 2016
fabienjoe:
One case comes to mind here. A suspected terrorist was arrested in the US and his iPhone was seized by the police. However, they were unable to unlock the phone to access its contents. The suspect refused to unlock it. The police went to apple but they declined as well. They now went to court to obtain an order compelling apple to unlock the phone as a matter of national security. The case was still on when the police IT experts were able to hack into the phone and the case was discontinued. The problem is that our policemen here are poorly trained and therefore abuse the enormous powers they have.

You call someone that was implicated a suspect? I have nothing to say to you right now. That system is entirely different and I dont want to crack my brain with you right now.

@oP, you are a mad man for giving police 150k without committing any offense. What kind of business do you do? What kind of family are you from? Are you truly into a fully legitimate business? If any policeman detains me for being successful at a young age, he will prolly have himself to blame by the time my family is done with him. Cos after I'm released, we will be back for payback.

Do you even have a work ID? Is your business registered? Are you the CEO? Do you have a registered address/shop? All these come to mind. Maybe your parents support your illegitimate busineSs. The excesses of these policemen should not be tolerated and youths shouldn't engage in criminal acts too.

SARS once took me to their office for refusing to surrender my phone, we got there and they asked me to call my parents that ive been arrested. When I asked them on what charges, they started blabbing. I was with my friend though and we both had our work ID and I was ready to follow them anywhere that day, and report them to whoever. I will never call my mum if im arrested by these useless image spoiling few on suspicion of being a yahoo boy. When I call my bro and uncle that show up almost cussing their a$$ out, they will know they detained the wrong person.

I suggest you save police complaints hotline on your phone ASAP, unless of course you have something to hide.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Spotted: Classic Citroen / Welcoming The New 2013 Honda Accord / Why Are Aluminium Engines Difficult To Repair In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.