Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,075 members, 7,821,706 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:02 PM

Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? - Events (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Events / Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? (17908 Views)

White People Dress As Blacks And Carry Nigerian Flag For Halloween (Pic) / Over 200,000 Lagosians Gathered To Celebrate 2014 Lagos Countdown (photos) / My Message To Nigerians As We Celebrate Independence In The Next Hour (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? by THEAMAKA3(f): 9:11pm On Nov 01, 2009
phuck_NL:

I seriously hope you didn't fall the previous posters joke oo. Otherwise you've been had big time.
It is a pity that you claimed so much patriotism on another thread yet you don't know one of the most important dates in Nigerias history.
June 12 was when we had the fairest election in naija's history which MKO abiola won. IBB annulled it. You can google the rest jare.
just because i dont know everything that goes on/went on in nigeria doesnt mean i still cant be proud of my roots.
but anyway there is a first time for everything and a learning process that goes along with it.
so THANKS for the brief history review, it was well appreciated.
Re: Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? by DemmyDaat(m): 9:37pm On Nov 01, 2009
@Posakosa

Halloween is not only big in the US,but mostly in every Western part of the World.

Yesterday was a special day with different kinds of Costume to those that reckoned with Halloween.
Re: Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? by agathamari(f): 9:41pm On Nov 01, 2009
@SapeleGuy
halloween is the english name for samhain (pronounced sau win).  it is the celtic new year/harvest festival.  the day when the viel between the spirit world and the living world thins and those who died over the last year are able to pass over.  the thining also allows the demons and bad spirits to roam the earth. the american form of holloween also includes aspects of el dio de los muertos of mezoamerica.  holloween is generaly only celebrated in countries with a large irish/scotish imigrant population though there are similar festivals in other cultures being it falls on the equinox.

every custom from the jack-o-lanters, the trick or treating the costumes all have a meaning that dates back over thousands of years.  it is the most holy day in traditional irish culture.  the whole evil whitch and demond satanic thing was added by the church durring the roman expansion trying to destroy the old religions.  that is why all sts day falls on nov 1.  it was an alternative holiday in an attempt to get the "pagans"to abandon thier old ways.  not the only european holiday that this "pairing" of alternate holidays was done to either

with the strong belief in whitchcraft here i would not sugest this holiday be celebrated.  last we need is a poor child being attacked for dressing like a whitch or mummy or somthing while trick-or-treating.
Re: Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:45pm On Nov 01, 2009
the day I carved a scary face on a gourd in Nigeria (for halloween) my dad warned me never to do it again.
Re: Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? by xxcarolxx(f): 9:49pm On Nov 01, 2009
Halloween did not originate in the states, but from ireland, its to do with the pagans, & druids. The druids & the celtic priests also worshipped samhain lord of the darkness, on the eve of samhain the boundary between the living & the dead disappeared. Evil spirits were condemned to the body of animal those spirits which died in the preceding 12 mths returned to earth looking for human bodies. Believing these spirits were harmful people feared them. On the eve of samhain people would extihguish there hearth fires & druids would light bon fires. In the bonfires crops, animals even humans were burned as sacrifical offering to protect them from returning evil spirits. People would also dress in costumes so the spirits would mistake them as another evil spirit, they also left food on the door steps so the evil spirits wouldnt enter the house.
Re: Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? by Remii(m): 9:55pm On Nov 01, 2009
Why Americans do not celeberate Eyo?
Re: Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? by webgenius(m): 9:56pm On Nov 01, 2009
wetin concern us with halloween? Please don't waste our time with this kind of thread.
Re: Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? by ETIANGEL: 10:35pm On Nov 01, 2009
I do not think halloween and it eventual celebration should be a topic that gives any normal Nigerian troubles. Whether this  fetish Celtic  celebration is celebrated in Nigeria or not should not be an issue. Rather we should be wasting our energies to get the Federal Government to liberalise the power (electricity) subsector so we can have constant power supply and moved on from our present stagnation.

Privatisation may never solve this seemingly difficult problem, but rather is very capable of complicating the situation thereby worsening the problem. I really wonder why the World Bank is advising the poor African Nations (especially Nigeria) to embark on privatisation as a solution to their power problems when it (Privatisation) could not solve those of the Developed Nations!

Electricity is one useless thing that you do not need just on  its own: its usefulness is derived from what you can do with it and what you can not do without it. It is the oil that lubricates the wheels of any well meaning nation; it is one of the essential services that the government should be actively involved in managing. In strong terms it is a utility that should not be liked with.

Privatisation simply means selling out of the state's assets with the state merely being there to provide an enabling environment for the successful operations of the sold out assets. What this means in the case of Nigeria is that privatising this utility is never going to be the solution to the erratic power problems but a clear case of ignorance and lacking in a simple common sense national culture on the part of our helpless leaders.

Mr President Sir, break the monopoly power you are still having in that sector, allow new entrants into the sector so you can have competition and efficiency will come knocking. This is simply called liberalisation!  Additionally, develop other sources of power generation in the country to
have good mixes and complement your present efforts.

Our enemies have laughed at us for too long. We have a choice not to continue to be that proverbial fool at forty. Or do we not?
Re: Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? by ezeagu(m): 10:36pm On Nov 01, 2009
skfa1:

Is of the Devil angry

Help! Somebody accidentally stepped out the 19th century.
Re: Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? by THEAMAKA3(f): 10:38pm On Nov 01, 2009
ETIANGEL:

I do not think halloween and it eventual celebration should be a topic that gives any normal Nigerian troubles. Whether this fetish Celtic celebration is celebrated in Nigeria or not should not be an issue. Rather we should be wasting our energies to get the Federal Government to liberalise the power (electricity) subsector so we can have constant power supply and moved on from our present stagnation.

Privatisation may never solve this seemingly difficult problem, but rather is very capable of complicating the situation thereby worsening the problem. I really wonder why the World Bank is advising the poor African Nations (especially Nigeria) to embark on privatisation as a solution to their power problems when it (Privatisation) could not solve those of the Developed Nations!

Electricity is one useless thing that you do not need just on its own: its usefulness is derived from what you can do with it and what you can not do without it. It is the oil that lubricates the wheels of any well meaning nation; it is one of the essential services that the government should be actively involved in managing. In strong terms it is a utility that should not be liked with.

Privatisation simply means selling out of the state's assets with the state merely being there to provide an enabling environment for the successful operations of the sold out assets. What this means in the case of Nigeria is that privatising this utility is never going to be the solution to the erratic power problems but a clear case of ignorance and lacking in a simple common sense national culture on the part of our helpless leaders.

Mr President Sir, break the monopoly power you are still having in that sector, allow new entrants into the sector so you can have competition and efficiency will come knocking. This is simply called liberalisation! Additionally, develop other sources of power generation in the country to
have good mixes and complement your present efforts.

Our enemies have laughed at us for too long. We have a choice not to continue to be that proverbial fool at forty. Or do we not?

true!
wetin concern us with halloween?
Re: Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? by Fhemmmy: 10:45pm On Nov 01, 2009
Another madness.
Re: Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? by pixiechic(f): 11:18pm On Nov 01, 2009
because everyday is haloween embarassed
Re: Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? by agabaI23(m): 11:30pm On Nov 01, 2009
Halloween is a celebration of pagans that started so many years ago. I think it is Irish in Origin. They believed that on the last day of october, dead people come and mix with the living and may cause harm. As a result they wear scary stuff so that the dead people will be scared away, if they looked at them because the dead people will think they are devils, dracula etc . They shoot guns also like we do on the new year in some part of Igboland.

Presently, it is a different ball game. They use fireworks and wear fancy dresses lol.

Why should we be celebrating it? No reason.
Re: Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? by Redman44(m): 12:02am On Nov 02, 2009
This thread should not have made it to the front page of Nairaland sad It is really sickening. Pure Rubbish!!!
Re: Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? by ebonyz: 12:04am On Nov 02, 2009
Because its evil tongue
Re: Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? by paddyboi: 12:06am On Nov 02, 2009
because halloween is bull sh**t, only kids really celebrate it here sha, we dont need that crap in naija,
p.s i believe privatisation will solve our power problems, government has no business providing power, over here most power utility companies are private, (though well regulated due to the sensitive nature), and trade on the stock market,
Re: Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? by agathamari(f): 12:07am On Nov 02, 2009
ebonyz:

Because its evil tongue
how is it evil?  you have no concept of what it is other then the propaganda the church puts out
Re: Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? by ebonyz: 12:11am On Nov 02, 2009
Yes. and i blv it
Re: Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? by babaowambe: 12:13am On Nov 02, 2009
haloween is a cover for all things satanic, it is an oppurtuniy for all enemies of the lord jesus christ to lure countless souls to hell, but the lord jesus and all who beleive and stand for him shall prevail in the end
Re: Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? by agathamari(f): 12:16am On Nov 02, 2009
ebonyz:

Yes. and i blv it
then your yam festival and masqurade must be evil as well since samhain (hall'oween) is similar to the combination of the two  
babaowambe:

haloween is a cover for all things satanic, it is an oppurtuniy for all enemies of the lord jesus christ to lure countless souls to hell, but the lord jesus and all who beleive and stand for him shall prevail in the end
  halloween is short for all hollows eve. hollow is old english for saint so since the name translates to all saints evening how is it satanic? 

yall bitch and moan that outsiders (weterners) make asumptions on you and your culture by what they see without researching it but its ok for you to do the same.  what a bunch of damned hipicrits
Re: Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? by THEAMAKA3(f): 12:21am On Nov 02, 2009
babaowambe:

halloween has losts its meaning from what it was all those years ago.
most kids and people dont know what halloween actually means and where it comes from.
most kids/people, like myself, see it as a day to dress up, a day to party, and a day to get free candy!
well thats how i see it.
and when i was little not once was my costume demonic or anything like that.
i used to wear cute girly costumes.
one year i dressed up as black barbie or the kelly doll when i was about 7 years old.
it was soooo cute!!
i was black barbie/kelly doll for a day.

not once did i see it as a demonic holiday, neither do most kids see it that way.
its just a day to dress up and get free candy.
Re: Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? by ebonyz: 12:24am On Nov 02, 2009
@agathamari
if u want to celebrate halloween then gud 4 u, i think its evil and thats my opinion. simple!
Re: Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? by THEAMAKA3(f): 12:26am On Nov 02, 2009
halloween is not evil!
OMG, where are you people getting this from?
look at the history of halloween and how it started, even the peoeple posted it here on this forum.
they used to dress up WARDING OFF EVIL!! NOT PROMOTING IT!
the irish or whoever were scared that on the last day of october that the evil will come back to get them.
so everyone dressed evil to disguise themselves from the actual ghosts.
halloween started out of the fear of evil, not to promote it.

and do you see dia de los muertos from the mexicans?
they honor the dead in their own type of halloween.
they honor loved ones that have passed on.
its not exactly demonic, now is it?
Re: Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? by agathamari(f): 12:28am On Nov 02, 2009
ebonyz:

@agathamari
if u want to celebrate halloween then gud 4 u, i think its evil and thats my opinion. simple!
  before you judge something as evil do your research and find out, otherwise you loose all right to whine when someone calls part of your heritige/country/race/gender/or anything else evil or wrong.  be repectful of other religions and cultures
Re: Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? by agathamari(f): 12:30am On Nov 02, 2009
THE-AMAKA:

halloween is not evil!
look at the history of halloween and how it started, even the peoeple posted it here on this forum.
the irish or whoever were scared that on the last day of october that the evil will come back to get them.

japan and india have similar holidays this week but the church says its evil because its different and you know some people would believe anything the church says even if they said the moon was made of cheese.
Re: Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:31am On Nov 02, 2009
Re: Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria?

Will it put food on my table?
Re: Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? by THEAMAKA3(f): 12:32am On Nov 02, 2009
stillwater:

Will it put food on my table?
lmao!!!great answer.

agathamari:

japan and india have similar holidays this week but the church says its evil because its different and you know some people would believe anything the church says even if they said the moon was made of cheese.
true true.
i think people need to read into the history of it.
cause its true some people may see voo doo and think all africans are crazy and demonic without looking into voo doo.
some is demonic, but some of it is just a culture thing.
Re: Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? by stancozy(m): 12:36am On Nov 02, 2009
halloween my small ass !
THE-AMAKA:

halloween is not evil!

if all what you said are truth, so do you expect us to start wearing ojuju clothes cos the irish are are afraid of their evil blohaha? pls ! if this poster was jobles while doing this thread, he /she should go and join them in the UK to actualize their evil fears ! angry angry
Re: Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? by THEAMAKA3(f): 12:49am On Nov 02, 2009
^^^

WHAT?
Re: Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? by agabaI23(m): 1:09am On Nov 02, 2009
agathamari:

then your yam festival and masqurade must be evil as well since samhain (hall'oween) is similar to the combination of the two    halloween is short for all hollows eve. hollow is old english for saint so since the name translates to all saints evening how is it satanic? 

yall bitch and moan that outsiders (weterners) make asumptions on you and your culture by what they see without researching it but its ok for you to do the same.  what a bunch of damned hipicrits

I had to ask not the church but the Irish locals who claim to have started it.

Did you read my reply above?
Re: Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? by alhajiy2k(m): 1:10am On Nov 02, 2009
Halloween is nothing but remnant of oyibo paganism. We dont need it here. Afterall we equally have the remnant of our paganism here to contend with. They call it culture here. grin grin grin
Re: Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? by dinggle: 1:12am On Nov 02, 2009
Halloween are for those who can manage their evil ways, can we manage ours??, If halloween is celebrated in Nigeria, it will be a day of rituals and killings, a day that children go missing etc, noway Nigeria isn't fit for halloween celebration.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

4 People Drowned In A River In Benue State Buried Amidst Tears(photos) / Top Events ‘Cancelled’ By COVID-19 / Do You Need A Dj/liveband For Your Event

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.