Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,196 members, 7,818,652 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:52 PM

Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? - Events (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Events / Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? (17893 Views)

White People Dress As Blacks And Carry Nigerian Flag For Halloween (Pic) / Over 200,000 Lagosians Gathered To Celebrate 2014 Lagos Countdown (photos) / My Message To Nigerians As We Celebrate Independence In The Next Hour (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? by sayso: 7:58am On Nov 03, 2009
so much to talk about
Re: Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? by THEAMAKA3(f): 8:02am On Nov 03, 2009
@ agathamari
love you girl, you rock!!
who cares what people think.

when someone doesnt properly go into their culture and gets their culture all wrong they start fussing and getting pissed. yet they cant even look into someone else's culture and read the history on it and where it came from.
sheesh, these people. such hypocrites.
halloween is very similar to what the mexicans and brazilians do called El Dia De Los Muertos.
well thats how it originally was.
the church brainwashed you into believing it was worshiping the devil and thats not even how Halloween started off as.
shior, some people mehn.
Re: Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? by proudly9ja(m): 10:58am On Nov 03, 2009
THE-AMAKA:

@ agathamari
love you girl, you rock!!
who cares what people think.

when someone doesnt properly go into their culture and gets their culture all wrong they start fussing and getting pissed. yet they cant even look into someone else's culture and read the history on it and where it came from.
sheesh, these people. such hypocrites.
halloween is very similar to what the mexicans and brazilians do called El Dia De Los Muertos.
well thats how it originally was.
the church brainwashed you into believing it was worshiping the devil and thats not even how Halloween started off as.
shior, some people mehn.

I don't think its about the church brain washing anybody. The problem is whatever comes to Africa, we demonise. While some other parts of the world may take it as child's play and a way to have fun, we turn it into idol worshipping in Africa. For instance, the Eyo masquerade and other forms of masquerades in Nigeria, are events that people should partake in and have fun with friends and family but what have we turned it into? Ritual killings, etc. Women must not see them, you must not wear shoes, etc and when a king dies, we kill innocent people to bury their heads with the dead king. Whether that is true or not, the fact that the story is peddled has made these events non-friendly and thus 'demonised'.
Re: Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:10pm On Nov 03, 2009
Lol. . . I was certain I'd find a thread like this.
Re: Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? by joeoty(m): 11:43pm On Nov 03, 2009
We should Africanize it first and get what would interest accross,
Re: Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? by Olayinkaoj(m): 9:45am On Nov 04, 2009
It is satanic
Re: Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? by THEAMAKA3(f): 1:01pm On Nov 04, 2009
Olayinkaoj:

It is satanic
after this whole thread you couldnt come up with a better answer? who told you it was satanic?
go and read other people's culture before you talk about it and try and demonize it.
typical african.
you want to shout when someone gets your culture wrong and thinks it one way, yet you do the same to another person's culture.
just because kids may dress up in scary stuff doesnt mean anything.
halloween has changed from what it used to be. most peeps here in the states look at it as a time for parties and dressing up and eating candy, thats all.
not to gather around some fire and chant to the devil. what rock have you been living under?
Re: Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? by nich(m): 7:29pm On Nov 04, 2009
my my my. globilisation indeed! grin

singing: . . . e don do me . . .
Re: Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? by muffins(f): 2:33am On Nov 05, 2009
Nigerians are suffering too much, nobody has the time to receive annoying kids coming to beg for candies, they'll simply punch them to sleep. grin grin
Re: Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? by dolatiwa: 2:37am On Nov 05, 2009
curiousity is said that kills cats, mba!what are you up to that you thinking that the next thing for the country is festival of witches and wizards, or may be you start it make we see  lipsrsealed shocked shocked :oit oooo
Re: Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? by Nignog: 6:30am On Nov 05, 2009
I was a Nigerian for halloween. Instead of getting candy I got 419 letters.
Re: Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? by Kratos007(m): 10:59am On Nov 05, 2009
what a daft topic and an absolute wate of bandwidth.
Re: Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? by Nignog: 11:07am On Nov 05, 2009
I like cheese.
Re: Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? by Gamine(f): 1:59pm On Nov 05, 2009
We are also celebrating Guy Fawkes today in Naija!!
join us at Swe bar, 9pm for bonfire! cheesy
Re: Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? by romsky: 10:48am On Nov 06, 2009
Probably because A typical Nigerian could turn it to a means of robbing the innocent or partly same reason we dont believe in Santa
Re: Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? by tytylayor: 10:56am On Nov 06, 2009
@topic
dunno
Re: Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? by mykali(m): 7:39pm On Nov 06, 2009
Halloween in Nigeria?
yeah, we should also believe in Santa Claus right?
Re: Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? by Nignog: 5:06am On Nov 07, 2009
Only civilized countries get to celebrate Halloween.
Re: Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? by jamace(m): 6:50am On Nov 07, 2009
Don't mind him,eyes that can't see.Only oyinbo bullshit make sense to them.Christmas,halloween,valantine,easter,all the bullshit they copy without really knowing they have to do it.

Whiteman's traditions are flawless while african's are demonic,so they think.

Don't mind us Africans. I don't know whether to say inferiority complex is our bane or utter foolishness is our doom. angry
If Haloween was to be of African origin, some missionaries from oyiboland would have come to tell us to stop it because it is evil/ancestoral worship.
Re: Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? by ikennahill: 8:59am On Nov 07, 2009
it is not our culture
Re: Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? by k9ine(m): 12:33pm On Nov 07, 2009
@ogagusps3

DO YOU THE ORIGIN AND MEANING OF HALOWEEN?
WHEN YOU FIND OUT, YOU WOULD HAVE ANSWERED THE QUESTION YOURSELF.
Re: Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? by pipz(m): 4:41pm On Nov 07, 2009
yes we do, we see scary things everday here in nigeria, so, everday is halloween with diff custumes grin
Re: Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? by mccloud224(m): 5:23am On Nov 30, 2009
Halloween is every day life in 9ja.Everything around you is so unreal and inhuman and if you aren't' careful, it can claim your life.Maybe Americans should try being lagosians for just one day e.g have a holiday called LAGOSIWEEN.I promise you, people wey go die dat day go pass world war 2.
Re: Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? by cutechic1: 3:50pm On Nov 18, 2011
The story behind Halloween came alive on the night of 31st of Oct. Ages ago, it was believed that dead people appeared from their graves. Sice then, it had been celebrated every year in the US, Canada and Britain by children and adults. They dress as ghosts, witches and anything they imagine to be scary. The kids go trick or treat. They just do it for fun. Its not our culture here sha o. Adopt it and there'll be trouble. Abi u fit let ur kid, sis or bro collect candy from a stranger in ur village? Religious people, are ur villages heavenly santified?
Re: Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween In Nigeria? by patrickm5: 11:39am On Oct 27, 2013
If you haven’t picked your costume yet for this weekend, you better do it now before we run out of stock…..
Limited quantity left !!
Only at http://www.looksandbeyond.net
or
http://fb.com/LooksAndBeyondLagos

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

4 People Drowned In A River In Benue State Buried Amidst Tears(photos) / Top Events ‘Cancelled’ By COVID-19 / As A Woman How Much Are You Willing To Contribute To Your Wedding?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.