Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,298 members, 7,822,481 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 11:44 AM

My Internship Experience: A Journey To Self Realization - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / My Internship Experience: A Journey To Self Realization (12420 Views)

My Internship In Unilever / Nigerian High Commission London Changes Staff Status To “self-employed” / Please Help! Continuing My Internship Program Or Opting For Factory Job? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Internship Experience: A Journey To Self Realization by Nobody: 11:37am On Nov 10, 2016
I'm glad everyone could learn something from this piece. I'm happy to answer any questions.
Re: My Internship Experience: A Journey To Self Realization by davide470(m): 11:38am On Nov 10, 2016
Beautiful write-up Missoreo.

Truth234:
Founded my own company after my Internship in the US, never looked back since then.
What's the name of your firm and what are you into?
Re: My Internship Experience: A Journey To Self Realization by Badgers14: 12:42pm On Nov 10, 2016
Justdulla:

lol
why are you deceiving him.@ see you after you graduate?? like there is a job readily available. isn't it that internship slavery ish that you guys still adhere to or has the brand changed.?

Mr.,
When do people go for IT? Before or after graduation?

For outstanding individuals in IT. Their performances creates a soft landing for them when they graduate, that's how the system work.

Mr. Don't be an enemy of progress.

Have a good day.

1 Like

Re: My Internship Experience: A Journey To Self Realization by year1186: 4:08pm On Nov 10, 2016
COMPUTER SCIENCE (not engineering) for multiple employment opportunities & great salary range.

All the best kid.

[John 3:16]
Re: My Internship Experience: A Journey To Self Realization by Lexusgs430: 6:00pm On Nov 10, 2016
missoreo:
The value of an undergraduate internship cannot be over emphasized. It broadens your horizon, deepens your connections and keys you into a state of mind that most graduates struggle to transition into after their studies. Getting a good grade is just the first step; the corporate world is another ball game entirely.

I was fortunate to have the unique experience of interning at 2 of the big 4 accounting firms over my summer internship period. Once I commenced my 3rd year at the university in September, I started applying aggressively for an internship position. I did some permutations and figured that if I applied for 20 internships, at least 5 would come through.

I wrote my first online assessment test for a reputable bank, however before I finished the second section, I received a notification that I had failed. I was distraught and my confidence shaken, but not for long. I sat down to strategize and asked myself a few questions: What was I doing wrong? How could I improve? Etc. I persevered and kept on applying but the rejection letters kept rolling in. My permutations seemed not so accurate anymore, but then something changed.

Early March, I got a mail from KPMG Nigeria to write an assessment test and that marked the beginning of a new chapter. I eventually passed the assessment and the subsequent interview. As I awaited the offer letter from KPMG, another offer letter rolled in. My aggression was eventually paying off and I began the countdown to my resumption date.

The 1st of June was a special day. I woke up bright and early to beat Lagos traffic and arrived for my first day of work in good spirits. First impressions right? Well, KPMG did a great job with first impressions, from its magnificent tower to its cultured people; it was a beauty to behold. The internship proved to be everything I imagined and more. I stepped into the induction room with over 100 bright eyed interns like myself and interactions with them was definitely inspiring. During my internship, I learnt the importance of teamwork and collaboration and served as a team lead on two separate projects. At the end of the internship, we were treated to a pleasurable outing at a lovely resort.

Soon after, I started another internship programme at PwC Nigeria, an experience that stretched me to new limits. I can liken the experience to being thrown into the deep end of a sea along with a life raft and tools to make a sail. The challenge would be to successfully build a boat and sail to the shore within a definite time frame. The internship was a 10 week intensive programme that intimated us with the practice of consulting and enabled us develop key competencies along the way. Our technical and leadership skills, business acumen, global awareness as well as ability to leverage on relationships were put to test. The experience presented a unique opportunity to learn, make mistakes and re-learn in a high pressure environment. The pressure allowed us to test our limits, discover our strengths, develop them and curb our weaknesses. Being in an environment with the best and brightest across the country, knowing your strengths and projecting them is key to being a star, however, it takes a lot more to be a superstar.

I was a part of a team of 6 interns from different universities comprising both undergraduates and graduates. Initially, the learning curve was painfully steep; we were racing against tight deadlines with deliverables due every week. However, with ample support and immediate feedback from team leads and senior management, our hard work began to pay off. We all began to demonstrate core competencies and imbibe the values of our organization. We even began to update our nomenclature with firm catch phrases like ‘this bit’ and ‘I can tell you this for free’. We developed a strong bond and the true meaning of team spirit became more evident.

At the end we made a final presentation to some of the firm’s partners and had a lover dinner outing with our line of service partner on the final day. It was a great experience to be able to get up close and personal with a great role model.

I now fully appreciate what teamwork, leadership, excellence and relationships mean and represent beyond mere words typed on my resume. Teamwork is recognizing that you are just as strong as your weakest link, and so you should build up your team so that there are no weak links. It is about situational leadership, allowing the person with the relevant core competency for a situation lead. Leadership is not just doing for others, but teaching them how to do, being responsible for how well they grow so that with or without you being there, they soar. Excellence is being a superstar, shining in the midst of brilliant minds. Having great interpersonal relationships is being able to manage the peculiarities of different personalities effectively by learning how each person likes being related with and giving them that exactly.

Beyond these values, applying yourself, thinking through and having a clear thought process is crucial. My values have been strengthened, I am more aware of myself, my purpose and my strengths. I am energized and ready to push myself even further, develop myself beyond my academics, add value in everything I do and have an amazing year.

https://www./my-internship-experience-journey-self-realisation-ore-onabowale?trk=prof-post
https://ng.linkedin.com/in/ore-onabowale-78a2aaa3

Missoreo, all I want is an oreo.........
Re: My Internship Experience: A Journey To Self Realization by ralph14(m): 7:54am On Jun 29, 2020
Badgers14:
@ OP,

I am glad you had a good time @ KPMG. Here at KPMG, we value excellence, teamwork and dedications. You need to have a passion for the job you are doing to be able to excel. In the words of Aristotle, "Pleasure in the work puts perfection in the job".

Thanks again for the good reviews, see you after you graduate.

Cheers!!

Hi, so i applied to write the KPMG test but I was told that recruitment had been put on hold due to COVID-19 and that I'd be contacted later on. Please I'd like to really bring my A game, could you give me some pointers on how to successfully apply and pass the exams and assessments?
Re: My Internship Experience: A Journey To Self Realization by AlphaTaikun: 11:37am On May 21, 2022
missoreo:
The value of an undergraduate internship cannot be over emphasized. It broadens your horizon, deepens your connections and keys you into a state of mind that most graduates struggle to transition into after their studies. Getting a good grade is just the first step; the corporate world is another ball game entirely.

I was fortunate to have the unique experience of interning at 2 of the big 4 accounting firms over my summer internship period. Once I commenced my 3rd year at the university in September, I started applying aggressively for an internship position. I did some permutations and figured that if I applied for 20 internships, at least 5 would come through.

I wrote my first online assessment test for a reputable bank, however before I finished the second section, I received a notification that I had failed. I was distraught and my confidence shaken, but not for long. I sat down to strategize and asked myself a few questions: What was I doing wrong? How could I improve? Etc. I persevered and kept on applying but the rejection letters kept rolling in. My permutations seemed not so accurate anymore, but then something changed.

Early March, I got a mail from KPMG Nigeria to write an assessment test and that marked the beginning of a new chapter. I eventually passed the assessment and the subsequent interview. As I awaited the offer letter from KPMG, another offer letter rolled in. My aggression was eventually paying off and I began the countdown to my resumption date.

The 1st of June was a special day. I woke up bright and early to beat Lagos traffic and arrived for my first day of work in good spirits. First impressions right? Well, KPMG did a great job with first impressions, from its magnificent tower to its cultured people; it was a beauty to behold. The internship proved to be everything I imagined and more. I stepped into the induction room with over 100 bright eyed interns like myself and interactions with them was definitely inspiring. During my internship, I learnt the importance of teamwork and collaboration and served as a team lead on two separate projects. At the end of the internship, we were treated to a pleasurable outing at a lovely resort.

Soon after, I started another internship programme at PwC Nigeria, an experience that stretched me to new limits. I can liken the experience to being thrown into the deep end of a sea along with a life raft and tools to make a sail. The challenge would be to successfully build a boat and sail to the shore within a definite time frame. The internship was a 10 week intensive programme that intimated us with the practice of consulting and enabled us develop key competencies along the way. Our technical and leadership skills, business acumen, global awareness as well as ability to leverage on relationships were put to test. The experience presented a unique opportunity to learn, make mistakes and re-learn in a high pressure environment. The pressure allowed us to test our limits, discover our strengths, develop them and curb our weaknesses. Being in an environment with the best and brightest across the country, knowing your strengths and projecting them is key to being a star, however, it takes a lot more to be a superstar.

I was a part of a team of 6 interns from different universities comprising both undergraduates and graduates. Initially, the learning curve was painfully steep; we were racing against tight deadlines with deliverables due every week. However, with ample support and immediate feedback from team leads and senior management, our hard work began to pay off. We all began to demonstrate core competencies and imbibe the values of our organization. We even began to update our nomenclature with firm catch phrases like ‘this bit’ and ‘I can tell you this for free’. We developed a strong bond and the true meaning of team spirit became more evident.

At the end we made a final presentation to some of the firm’s partners and had a lover dinner outing with our line of service partner on the final day. It was a great experience to be able to get up close and personal with a great role model.

I now fully appreciate what teamwork, leadership, excellence and relationships mean and represent beyond mere words typed on my resume. Teamwork is recognizing that you are just as strong as your weakest link, and so you should build up your team so that there are no weak links. It is about situational leadership, allowing the person with the relevant core competency for a situation lead. Leadership is not just doing for others, but teaching them how to do, being responsible for how well they grow so that with or without you being there, they soar. Excellence is being a superstar, shining in the midst of brilliant minds. Having great interpersonal relationships is being able to manage the peculiarities of different personalities effectively by learning how each person likes being related with and giving them that exactly.

Beyond these values, applying yourself, thinking through and having a clear thought process is crucial. My values have been strengthened, I am more aware of myself, my purpose and my strengths. I am energized and ready to push myself even further, develop myself beyond my academics, add value in everything I do and have an amazing year.

https://www./my-internship-experience-journey-self-realisation-ore-onabowale?trk=prof-post
https://ng.linkedin.com/in/ore-onabowale-78a2aaa3
That's a mad cool post by Oreo... Written in a very vivid and fluent style. wink

Internships done especially in world-class environments evoke a can-do spirit, and an aura or sense of positive work ethics.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

I'm Being Accused Of Theft At My Work Place. / Which Is Easier To Pass Toefl O Ielts / Ozak Esu Makes Telegraph’s “Top 50 Women In Engineering” List

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.