Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,725 members, 7,816,981 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:05 PM

Buhari To Inaugurate Onnoghen As Acting CJN Today - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari To Inaugurate Onnoghen As Acting CJN Today (14168 Views)

Yemi Osinbajo Swears In Onnoghen As CJN (Photos) / Onnoghen To Be Sworn In As CJN Today By Osinbajo / Buhari Swears In Onnoghen As Acting Chief Justice Of Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buhari To Inaugurate Onnoghen As Acting CJN Today by chemali: 8:26am On Nov 10, 2016
Buhari should thoroughly investigate the CJN before appointment. Once confirmed, it's almost an impossible task to let him go and he would be there till 2020. We are partially paying for the appointment of Emefiele whom Buhari cannot easily let go. North or South, the CJN tribe doesn't matter. What matters is his stand on matters of the law and his personal integrity. How does a Northern CJN change anything? Or a southern CJN?

1 Like

Re: Buhari To Inaugurate Onnoghen As Acting CJN Today by Nobody: 8:38am On Nov 10, 2016
Tribalism......coz he is not a northerner and a muslim

1 Like

Re: Buhari To Inaugurate Onnoghen As Acting CJN Today by DropShot: 8:39am On Nov 10, 2016
[s]
evilapc:

Did he also thoroughly investigated amechi and Co before making them ministers? Evil people just want to put another quota system judge as the CJN
[/s]
Work on yourself first. OK?
Re: Buhari To Inaugurate Onnoghen As Acting CJN Today by Kiakia(m): 8:40am On Nov 10, 2016
This is the first time in the history of the judiciary in Nigeria that a CJN will be appointed in acting capacity.

1 Like

Re: Buhari To Inaugurate Onnoghen As Acting CJN Today by kcnwaigbo: 8:42am On Nov 10, 2016
kahal29:

Gbam. On Onnoghen I stand. The man Justice Onnoghen has some landmark judgments to his credit some of which include Amaechi vs Omehia, Atiku vs INEC, FG; Peter Obi vs INEC that gave rise to scattered elections, Yar'adua vs Buhari and more recently CCT vs Saraki where Saraki was to go and face his charges.

Having said I still support the idea that Onnoghen should Act for now so that we Nigerians and PMB will access him.. .. if his performance during the acting capacity is impressive enough then the President will now forward his name to the Senate to be appointed in substantive capacity.
The NJC has recommended Justice Onnoggen.It is not subject to Buhari or any other set of Nigerians to decide otherwise. The only set of people who can stop the nomination are the senators

1 Like

Re: Buhari To Inaugurate Onnoghen As Acting CJN Today by kcnwaigbo: 8:43am On Nov 10, 2016
chemali:
Buhari should thoroughly investigate the CJN before appointment. Once confirmed, it's almost an impossible task to let him go and he would be there till 2020. We are partially paying for the appointment of Emefiele whom Buhari cannot easily let go. North or South, the CJN tribe doesn't matter. What matters is his stand on matters of the law and his personal integrity. How does a Northern CJN change anything? Or a southern CJN?
Only the NJC can discipline any judge. Justice Onnoggen will definitely be there till 2020 unless he dies or is suspended by the NJC

1 Like

Re: Buhari To Inaugurate Onnoghen As Acting CJN Today by kcnwaigbo: 8:45am On Nov 10, 2016
modath:

KC, nitori olorun, why must you always say things that can never be substantiated? Why? How do you even come to these conclusions? cheesy cheesy

It's "tradition" It's not "Law". How we do it not how it MUST be done.

To simplify it, traditions all over the world prefer a man marries a woman before putting a bun in her oven, there is nothing in the constitution that will consign him to a jail sentence if it's not done... again, how it's proper not what can't be changed!! You get?
It is not tradition!! Section 231 (4) specifically stated that only the MOST SENIOR judge should be appointed acting CJN in event of a vacancy!!! Buhari does not have a choice in this matter

2 Likes

Re: Buhari To Inaugurate Onnoghen As Acting CJN Today by S2kluv: 8:51am On Nov 10, 2016
kcnwaigbo:

It is not tradition!! Section 231 (4) specifically stated that only the MOST SENIOR judge should be appointed acting CJN in event of a vacancy!!! Buhari does not have a choice in this matter
Then why sending 3 names

Pls explain?
Re: Buhari To Inaugurate Onnoghen As Acting CJN Today by Nobody: 8:51am On Nov 10, 2016
Kiakia:
This is the first time in the history of the judiciary in Nigeria that a CJN will be appointed in acting capacity.
there is always a first time for everything grin,I guess it's part of the change grin grin,but jokes apart, I smell mischief somewhere, the president is probably reluctant to forward the names to the sanate because he has something up his sleeves, we are watching in 3D

1 Like

Re: Buhari To Inaugurate Onnoghen As Acting CJN Today by kcnwaigbo: 9:05am On Nov 10, 2016
S2kluv:
Then why sending 3 names

Pls explain?
Only justice Onnoggen's name was sent to Buhari by the NJC. Section 231(4) was talking about in acting capacity

1 Like

Re: Buhari To Inaugurate Onnoghen As Acting CJN Today by kcnwaigbo: 9:06am On Nov 10, 2016
cekhoe:
there is always a first time for everything grin,I guess it's part of the change grin grin,but jokes apart, I smell mischief somewhere, the president is probably reluctant to forward the names to the sanate because he has something up his sleeves, we are watching in 3D
He obviously planning mischief but will fail as usual

1 Like

Re: Buhari To Inaugurate Onnoghen As Acting CJN Today by S2kluv: 9:12am On Nov 10, 2016
kcnwaigbo:

Only justice Onnoggen's name was sent to Buhari by the NJC. Section 231(4) was talking about in acting capacity
The National Judicial Council was said to have earlier forwarded the name of Justice Onnoghen along two others for the President to pick any of the three justices as the new CJN based on the recommendations of the Federal Judicial Service Commission.
Re: Buhari To Inaugurate Onnoghen As Acting CJN Today by Nobody: 9:12am On Nov 10, 2016
kcnwaigbo:

He obviously planning mischief but will fail as usual
I sincerely hope it's turns out to be in the interest of Nigerians and not in the interest of certain cliques, as has been the norm with any thing politically related in this country

1 Like

Re: Buhari To Inaugurate Onnoghen As Acting CJN Today by kcnwaigbo: 9:14am On Nov 10, 2016
S2kluv:
The National Judicial Council was said to have earlier forwarded the name of Justice Onnoghen along two others for the President to pick any of the three justices as the new CJN based on the recommendations of the Federal Judicial Service Commission.
Only justice Onnoggen's name was forwarded to the president!!! The NJC picks from a shortlist of 3 and forwards only one to the president

1 Like

Re: Buhari To Inaugurate Onnoghen As Acting CJN Today by kcnwaigbo: 9:15am On Nov 10, 2016
CONSTITUTION OF THE
FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA

Chapter VII
The Judicature
Part I

Federal Courts

A - The Supreme Court of Nigeria
230. (1) There shall be a Supreme Court of Nigeria.
(2) The Supreme Court of Nigeria shall consist of -
(a) the Chief Justice of Nigeria; and
(b) such number of Justices of the Supreme Court, not exceeding twenty-one, as may be prescribed by an Act of the National Assembly.

231. (1) The appointment of a person to the office of Chief Justice of Nigeria shall be made by the President on the recommendation of the National Judicial Council subject to confirmation of such appointment by the Senate.
(2) The appointment of a person to the office of a Justice of the Supreme Court shall be made by the President on the National Judicial Council subject to confirmation of such appointment by the senate.
(3) A person shall not be qualified to hold the office of Chief Justice of Nigeria or a Justice of the Supreme Court, unless he is qualified to practice as a legal practitioner in Nigeria and has been so qualified for a period of not less than fifteen years.
(4) If the office of Chief Justice of Nigeria is vacant or if the person holding the office is for any reason unable to perform the functions of the office, then until a person has been appointed to and has assumed the functions of that office, or until the person holding has resumed those functions, the President shall appoint the most senior Justice of the Supreme Court to perform those functions.
(5) Except on the recommendation of the National Judicial Council, an appointment pursuant to the provisions of subsection (4) of this section shall cease to have effect after the expiration of three months from the date of such appointment, and the President shall not re-appointment a person whose appointment has lapsed.

1 Like

Re: Buhari To Inaugurate Onnoghen As Acting CJN Today by kcnwaigbo: 9:16am On Nov 10, 2016
Section 231(5) gives the NJC the powers to extended the tenure of the acting CJN beyond the three months!!

1 Like

Re: Buhari To Inaugurate Onnoghen As Acting CJN Today by BBPIA(m): 9:19am On Nov 10, 2016
It pains me to the bone when I see people defending Buhari's bigotry and nepotism.

The same President that didn't do thorough check before appointing the corrupt and incompetent inec chairman

He didn't perform underground work on Kyari and Dambazzu before their appointment...

But now, an Onnoghe would be demonized to pave way for their own to occupy the hallow seat...

My dumb brothers would still find excuse for such obvious balkanisation.

If my corrupt brother is not good for your appointment, why should your own corrupt brother be suitable for it?

2 Likes

Re: Buhari To Inaugurate Onnoghen As Acting CJN Today by ISTANDWITHBUHAR: 10:00am On Nov 10, 2016
Firefire:
"It will also be the first time in the history of Nigeria that a person will be appointed to the office of the CJN in acting capacity.

Under the Constitution, a person can only hold the office of the CJN in acting capacity for three months".

Buhary, well done, we dey gbadun your CHAIN-JI.

Thank God Buhari did not go against the contitution.
Re: Buhari To Inaugurate Onnoghen As Acting CJN Today by ISTANDWITHBUHAR: 10:00am On Nov 10, 2016
Firefire:
"It will also be the first time in the history of Nigeria that a person will be appointed to the office of the CJN in acting capacity.

Under the Constitution, a person can only hold the office of the CJN in acting capacity for three months".

Buhary, well done, we dey gbadun your CHAIN-JI.

Thank God Buhari did not go against the constitution.
Re: Buhari To Inaugurate Onnoghen As Acting CJN Today by seunmsg(m): 10:22am On Nov 10, 2016
modath:

No Seun, it would serve him better to honour the age old tradition & go with the flow.. He has no tangible excuse not to want him.

J. Onnoghen has no scandal attached to his name, (at least publicly) & for what it's worth, the judge sided with him when he had his election challenge runs.... That ought to count for something.

He should not listen to those "Aro Meta" that are hellbent on ruining his legacy & he too seems to be "helping" them achieve it.

I agree with you completely that it will serve him better to honour the old tradition and go with the flow. I only took that position in the extreme event that he has a reason that some of us are not privy to that will prevent him from nominating Onnoghen.

Again, the next two justices to Onnoghen in seniority are northerners and any attempt to make any of the two the CJN will be fiercely resisted. From the presidents body language, it's very obvious he's looking for a way not to nominate Onnoghen and bring in a northerner to occupy the position. That would be very disastrous. The earlier we all start telling him the truth, the better for the nation.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Buhari To Inaugurate Onnoghen As Acting CJN Today by kcnwaigbo: 10:47am On Nov 10, 2016
seunmsg:

I agree with you completely that it will serve him better to honour the old tradition and go with the flow. I only took that position in the extreme event that he has a reason that some of us are not privy to that will prevent him from nominating Onnoghen.

Again, the next two justices to Onnoghen in seniority are northerners and any attempt to make any of the two the CJN will be fiercely resisted. From the presidents body language, it's very obvious he's looking for a way not to nominate Onnoghen and bring in a northerner to occupy the position. That would be very disastrous. The earlier we all start telling him the truth, the better for the nation.
There is nothing like tradition here.The illiterate has got ni other choice!! The constitution spelt out the format through which the CJN or acting CJN can be appointed and the illiterate can't do anything about it
Re: Buhari To Inaugurate Onnoghen As Acting CJN Today by tinsel: 10:49am On Nov 10, 2016
We are avoiding asking the basic question here. Why is Buhari delaying the forwarding of Onoghen's name to senate for confirmation which warrants appointing him in acting capacity?
Re: Buhari To Inaugurate Onnoghen As Acting CJN Today by Chiboboski: 11:35am On Nov 10, 2016
kcnwaigbo:
Section 231(5) gives the NJC the powers to extended the tenure of the acting CJN beyond the three months!!
The fifth section is clear. The President can appoint a acting CJN and cannot re appoint the same person after 3 months. There is always a way to go around some provisions of the constitution lawfully. I like Onnogein and believe he could be ripe for the job but the President knows better.
Re: Buhari To Inaugurate Onnoghen As Acting CJN Today by kcnwaigbo: 11:41am On Nov 10, 2016
Chiboboski:
The fifth section is clear. The President can appoint a acting CJN and cannot re appoint the same person after 3 months. There is always a way to go around some provisions of the constitution lawfully. I like Onnogein and believe he could be ripe for the job but the President knows better.
The fifth section also gives the NJC the powers to extend the tenure of the acting CJN beyond three months!!There is nothing like the president knows better. That illiterate knows nothing and is only an ethnic irredentist
Re: Buhari To Inaugurate Onnoghen As Acting CJN Today by kcnwaigbo: 11:43am On Nov 10, 2016
tinsel:
We are avoiding asking the basic question here. Why is Buhari delaying the forwarding of Onoghen's name to senate for confirmation which warrants appointing him in acting capacity?
Because he is hoping to manipulate the judiciary and does not trust Onnoggen. He would prefer someone he can control!!! He will definitely fail
Re: Buhari To Inaugurate Onnoghen As Acting CJN Today by senatordave1(m): 11:45am On Nov 10, 2016
kcnwaigbo:

All is now set for the inauguration of Cross River state
born Justice Walter Onnoghen as the acting Chief Justice
of Nigeria, CrossRiverWatch has learnt.
The inauguration willl be done by President
Muhammadu Buhari today, (Thursday) at 2pm inside the
Council Chambers of the Presidential Villa, Abuja.
Watchers had express worry that hours to the exit of the
incumbent CJN, Justice Mahmoud Mohammed who has
attained the mandatory retirement age of 70, the
President has not sent a replacement to the Senate for
confirmation, sparking fears that a vacuum will be
created in the judiciary.
The National Judicial Council had earlier forwarded the
name of Justice Onnoghen who is the most senior
Supreme Court Judge as well as those of Justice Tanko
Mohammed and Justice Suleiman Galadima to the
President to pick any of the three justices as the new
CJN.
Advert by CRWatch :Place Yours
Re: Buhari To Inaugurate Onnoghen As Acting CJN Today by Wiseandtrue(f): 7:25am On Nov 11, 2016
kcnwaigbo:

He can only appoint the most senior supreme court justice. The constitution did not give him a choice
Then why is he reluctant?
Why appoint CJN in acting capacity
Why not go straight and appoint a CJN from the North who is the next in rank and stop wasting time already
Hahaha I guess it's called conscience, it's stinging him.
PMB, Trump made a similar speech
PMB: I am for everybody and belongs to nobody
TRUMP: I promise to be a president to ALL Americans.
PMB has failed in that regard. Let's see Trump and know if he can borrow a leaf from him
Re: Buhari To Inaugurate Onnoghen As Acting CJN Today by KingNom(m): 6:47pm On Nov 12, 2016
THE NIGERIA SOLUTION: A MIND RE-DRIVE
Greetings to You Dear Mr. President, our Political Office Holders and my Fellow Nigerians, I suggest we make the best use of this tenure to fix the basic FOUNDATIONAL PROBLEM to all our problems as an emerging Great Country: the AVERAGE NIGERIAN MINDSET! Here we can fix the many issues of our Country by using 'ONE STONE to kill a thousand birds'.
Nigeria was not as bad as this, we started becoming like this when we started *THINKING WRONGLY *
Let us use the MIND RE-DRIVE STRATEGY. This is by renewing the minds of Nigerians (as many are with respect to Integrity, corrupt) through an AGGRESSIVE value reorientation campaign using all forms of Public and Private Agencies and media; Tv, radio, internet Print media, even the movies, musical artistes etc.
If the President through his powers ( with our Governors and other Political office holders) together with the teeming population can reproduce an 'Integrity' mindset in the average citizen, his work will be made much more easy in fixing Nigeria, cutting down the giant tree of Nigeria problems from its MAIN ROOT.
'Get a person to think of doing a thing AND he will ACTUALLY and ENTHUSIASTICALLY do it.' Get the Nigerian person to think of doing the right thing righlty AND he will ACTUALLY and ENTHUSIASTICALLY do the right thing rightly.'
Then will we have many 'high integrity persons' almost everywhere, fixing Nigeria. This way, the 'REAL POSITIVE CHANGE' will be deeply entrenched and sustainable for future generations.
It will surely take us time and much sacrifice, but we will get there if we persist!
A tree cannot make a forest alone, BUT CAN, through reproduction. Just Imagine if every Nigerian was thinking and acting with integrity at the various levels of our society, how our Country will be, Paradise!
If we fix our 'Integrity' values as individuals and as a Country, God helping us; Nigeria will become Paradise! _St. Nom S.
Pls share till it reaches everyone, We can be Great again, even Greater than ever before!!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Gov. Peter Mba Flags Off Construction New Enugu City & Dual Carriageways / Elumelu - "My Mother Was Kidnapped After I Signed Fertiliser Plant Deal" / Why My Family, Folks And I Wouldn't Vote Come 2015

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.