Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,079 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:41 AM

Rooney Overhyped? - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Rooney Overhyped? (1035 Views)

Wayne Rooney 'slept With Prostitute While Wife Coleen Was Pregnant' / Wayne Rooney Looks Like Shrek! / Martins Vs Rooney, Who Is The Best??? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rooney Overhyped? by nedu2000(m): 8:46pm On Nov 01, 2009
Has rooney ever scored in d range of 20 gols 4 man utd b4,in 2008,d sentiments started brewing when a tevez,who outscored &performed beta dan rooney waz made 2 play 2nd fiddle d following season.there is always d talk about his workrate but he doesn't gain as much assists,d stats r-drogba(9gls 5ast),torres(10gols 1ast),van per(7gols 6asts),rooney(7gols 0ast).my point is-he is a gud playa but nt in d class of eto'o,drogba,torres,ibra but can b put in d category of adebayor(although he has scored over 20gols),benzema,anelka,aguero,pato,RVP.can anyone bet on rooney becoming topscorer in either d league or d champs league?
Re: Rooney Overhyped? by MrCrackles(m): 8:47pm On Nov 01, 2009
Rooney is not overhyped. . . .The kid is top class, period!!!
Re: Rooney Overhyped? by Krayola(m): 9:01pm On Nov 01, 2009
Adebayor shits all over him cool
Re: Rooney Overhyped? by Sauron1: 9:03pm On Nov 01, 2009
nedu2000:

Has rooney ever scored in d range of 20 gols 4 man utd b4,in 2008,d sentiments started brewing when a tevez,who outscored &performed beta dan rooney waz made 2 play 2nd fiddle d following season.there is always d talk about his workrate but he doesn't gain as much assists,d stats r-drogba(9gls  5ast),torres(10gols  1ast),van per(7gols 6asts),rooney(7gols 0ast).my point is-he is a gud playa but nt in d class of eto'o,drogba,torres,ibra but can b put in d category of adebayor(although he has scored over 20gols),benzema,anelka,aguero,pato,RVP.can anyone bet on rooney becoming topscorer in either d league or d champs league?

He has outscored all the top strikers in Europe in the qualifying games to the World Cup.
I believe that is enough for you to know he's the best striker in the EPL.
What he contributes to Man Utd is peerless and i will have him ahead of Drogba or Torres.
Re: Rooney Overhyped? by chic2pimp(m): 9:09pm On Nov 01, 2009
Rooney is actually one of the very few Worldclass English players around.

~Sauron~:

He has outscored all the top strikers in Europe in the qualifying games to the World Cup.
What he contributes to Man Utd is peerless and i will have him ahead of Drogba or Torres.
Why Am I not suprised you said that? undecided
Re: Rooney Overhyped? by Sauron1: 9:17pm On Nov 01, 2009
chic2pimp:

Co-signed!!!

Why Am I not suprised you said that? undecided

Because i look deeper than the goals scored.
Rooney cops assists, he plays almost everywhere on the pitch.
I doubt Torres woulda done a good job raping Cissokho or Maicon as a winger. . . . .Those are the nitty-gritties(things STATS don't tell us).
He is a team player!!!
Re: Rooney Overhyped? by chic2pimp(m): 9:34pm On Nov 01, 2009
~Sauron~:

Because i look deeper than the goals scored.
Rooney cops assists, he plays almost everywhere on the pitch.
I doubt Torres woulda done a good job raping Cissokho or Maicon as a winger. . . . .Those are the nitty-gritties(things STATS don't tell us).
He is a team player!!!
Trust me both Torres and Drogba would it if & when required. I like rooney al lot but not sure I'll rate him above Torres & Drogba.
Re: Rooney Overhyped? by Sauron1: 9:36pm On Nov 01, 2009
chic2pimp:

Trust me both Torres and Drogba would it if & when required. I like rooney al lot but not sure I'll rate him above Torres & Drogba.

Torres will play on the wing?? Are you serious?
That Glass-man?? His shoulder-charge with Rio Ferdinand has damaged his groin and he's going to cost his team a CL's 2nd round ticket.
By Wednesday. . . .Liverpool would be out of Europe, EPL and Carling Cup. cheesy
Re: Rooney Overhyped? by jalether(m): 9:51pm On Nov 01, 2009
~Sauron~:

read the bolded part and tell me the relationship btw the two undecided, I just don't get it when people say he works hard for the team yada yada yada

and hence his unimpressive goal record, david Villa, Eto'o works just as hard for the team and still emerge highest goal scorers for club and country

whoever says you can't run around the pitch like an headless chicken and still bang in the goals consistently.
Re: Rooney Overhyped? by chic2pimp(m): 9:52pm On Nov 01, 2009
~Sauron~:

Torres will play on the wing?? Are you serious?
That Glass-man?? His shoulder-charge with Rio Ferdinand has damaged his groin and he's going to cost his team a CL's 2nd round ticket.
By Wednesday. . . .Liverpool would be out of Europe, EPL and Carling Cup. cheesy
Yes he can if given the opportunity. He has got both the skill & pace to play that position adequately.

Do ya think Liverpool would be out of europe by wednesday?  undecided I don't know man cuz you never can tell with Rafa.
Re: Rooney Overhyped? by Sauron1: 9:59pm On Nov 01, 2009
jalether:

read the bolded part and tell me the relationship btw the two undecided, I just don't get it when people say he works hard for the team yada yada yada

The relationship between the 2 is Rooney has outscored the big name strikers in Europe in the WCQ thus making him the best in EPL.
Torres, Robbie Keane, David Villa, Dzeko, Pavlyuchenko all played in the WCQ in Europe and they shoulda shown their goal scoring prowess.

and hence his unimpressive goal record, david Villa, Eto'o works just as hard for the team and still emerge highest goal scorers for club and country

Eto'o and Villa all start games as strikers for their clubs. Rooney has been shoved left, right and centre to neutralise opponents on the wings.
For instance, when United faced Barca in ROME. . . .Etoo started as an attacker while Rooney was on the left wing.
Those little things count against him when he doesn't score plenty for clubs but see his transformation now that Capello has stationed him as a striker. . . .

whoever says you can't run around the pitch like an headless chicken and still bang in the goals consistently.

Name one striker running around like a pitch and still bang goals in the other end consistently.
David Villa never crosses the half-way line to defend.
Re: Rooney Overhyped? by chic2pimp(m): 10:27pm On Nov 01, 2009
~Sauron~:

The relationship between the 2 is Rooney has outscored the big name strikers in Europe in the WCQ thus making him the best in EPL.
Torres, Robbie Keane, David Villa, Dzeko, Pavlyuchenko all played in the WCQ in Europe and they shoulda shown their goal scoring prowess.
When Baros outscored his Rivals during euro 2004,did that make him the best striker in the EPL? undecided

~Sauron~:

Name one striker running around like a pitch and still bang goals in the other end consistently.
David Villa never crosses the half-way line to defend.
I have seen Villa cross the halfway line on Numerous occasions to defend for both spain & valencia. I think you are just finding hard to admit that Rooney is not a consistent goalscorer.
Re: Rooney Overhyped? by Sauron1: 10:31pm On Nov 01, 2009
chic2pimp:

When Baros outscored his Rivals during euro 2004,did that make him the best striker in the EPL? undecided

That was a 2-week competition. . . .
The WCQ was for several months so there was no excuse for the likes of Villa, Torres, Henry, Benzema and Klose.
Rooney copped the highest assists throughout Europe while outscoring the names mentioned above. Give him his credits abeg.

I have seen Villa cross the halfway line on Numerous occasions to defend for both spain & valencia. I think you are just finding hard to admit that Rooney is not a consistent goalscorer.

Has Villa EVER played on the wing for Spain/Valencia?
Re: Rooney Overhyped? by chic2pimp(m): 10:54pm On Nov 01, 2009
~Sauron~:

That was a 2-week competition. . . .
The WCQ was for several months so there was no excuse for the likes of Villa, Torres, Henry, Benzema and Klose.
Rooney copped the highest assists throughout Europe while outscoring the names mentioned above.

Being the Top Scorer during qualification for a tournament means nada IMO. David Healy was the top scorer during the Euro 2008 qualification campaign(infact he is the highest ever goalscorer in the European Qualifiers campaign's history) and I don't see you lot hyping him up like you do with Rooney.

~Sauron~:

Give him his credits abeg.

chic2pimp:

~Sauron~:

Has Villa EVER played on the wing for Spain/Valencia?
He has certainly played on the wings for Valencia. He,Silva & Mata alternate positions.
Re: Rooney Overhyped? by Sauron1: 12:14am On Nov 02, 2009
chic2pimp:

Being the Top Scorer during qualification for a tournament means nada IMO. David Healy was the top scorer during the Euro 2008 qualification campaign(infact he is the highest ever goalscorer in the European Qualifiers campaign's history) and I don't see you lot hyping him up like you do with Rooney.

Did Healy cop the highest number of goal assists whilst he was the top scorer in Euro08 qualification?
Lemme repeat this. . . . .Rooney scored 9 goals n 5 assists in 10 WCQ games.
Give him his credits, abeg.
Re: Rooney Overhyped? by yousouph(m): 6:47am On Nov 02, 2009
No hyping. Rooney is GOOD. Plays many roles in the team. Like Sauron, GIVE THE GUY CREDIT. cheesy
Re: Rooney Overhyped? by nedu2000(m): 10:58am On Nov 02, 2009
2 score in da qualifiers against mediocre teams is 1 thing & 2 top score in d tornament proper is another I guess dat should be reserved 4 d likes of ronaldo,torres et al.scoring goals is long gruelsome competitons like league championships is even more respectableafter all even d likes of Baros, Klose has been top scorers in major short period competitions let alone qualifiers
Re: Rooney Overhyped? by HNIC(m): 3:40pm On Nov 02, 2009
Truth be told
The English Press thrives in overhyping their players
But. . . . . .
Rooney is not overhyped.
He is a damn good footballer!
Ask the defenders that have ever played against him!
Re: Rooney Overhyped? by tkb417(m): 5:20pm On Nov 03, 2009
hmm undecided

overhyped abi Hyped?
una go wound me for here

Rooney hyped?
una dey crase?
if Rooney is just a bit of hype, then there are no good footballers left in the universe

This is Rooney and not Martins abeg
Re: Rooney Overhyped? by A40(m): 2:59am On Nov 04, 2009
I don't think he is over-hyped he's definitely got skill and is the closest thing England have to a world-class striker
Re: Rooney Overhyped? by Nobody: 3:05am On Nov 04, 2009
Of course its easy to outscore others in WCQ if your oppnents are Belarus and Andora. grin Even Peter Crouch can boast of that too.
Re: Rooney Overhyped? by tkb417(m): 8:46am On Nov 04, 2009
Rooney is a good footballer

end of story
Re: Rooney Overhyped? by Sauron1: 11:12am On Nov 04, 2009
davidylan:

Of course its easy to outscore others in WCQ if your oppnents are Belarus and Andora. grin Even Peter Crouch can boast of that too.

Torres/Villa also played against Estonia, Bosnia and Armenia.
Van Persie played against Macedonia and Iceland.
Luca Toni played against Cyprus, Montenegro and Georgia.
Henry played against Faroe Islands, Austria, Lithuania and Romania
Miroslav Klose played against Finland, Wales, Liechtenstein and Azerbaijan.

No excuses. . . . . . .
Re: Rooney Overhyped? by andyty(m): 12:31pm On Nov 19, 2009
I don't believe Rooney is an overhyped player, he's a good player with high work rate

(1) (Reply)

Henry Is Staying / Nairaland EPL 2011/2012 Awards. / Clubs Pre-Season Tour Fixtures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.