Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,182 members, 7,818,574 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:07 PM

My Car Has Been Packed For 4 Months- What To Do Before Starting It Up Again - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Car Has Been Packed For 4 Months- What To Do Before Starting It Up Again (15211 Views)

Toyota’s New Self-driving Car Has Two Steering / Exotic Cars Packed In An Old House. Photo Shared By Yomi Casual / What Do You Do If Your Car Has No Custom Papers. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Car Has Been Packed For 4 Months- What To Do Before Starting It Up Again by Nobody: 7:44am On Nov 13, 2016
Tyche:
A thread so timely in nature. Mine is 2 months and counting.

Ayam just here to see comments grin
Ayam here to check the NAMES of the COMMENTERS
Re: My Car Has Been Packed For 4 Months- What To Do Before Starting It Up Again by MztrChukwu(m): 7:57am On Nov 13, 2016
africanusvu:
I parkd mine and went for NYSC in gembu.came bak after 1yr and went for job hunt for 6 months.i came bak open my car turnd the ignition.and off i zoomed.

Assin eh! I don't understand the rest of the comments.
My '06 Honda civic is parked in my villa and I happen to travel once a year. Once I replace the batt, i'm good to zoom o! No failures at all. Been like that for abt 3 years now and counting...

1 Like

Re: My Car Has Been Packed For 4 Months- What To Do Before Starting It Up Again by africanusvu(m): 7:58am On Nov 13, 2016
huntax:

please share with us, your Gembu experience. I also served in Taraba but didn't have the pleasure of visiting that cold region. Most especially, how bad is the road leading to Gembu.
Bros.gembu is d best place in nig.i was initialy scare.i even opted for kaiimlamido[snake island]bt i tank heavens 4 gembu.i was in GDSS mandaga.very hily.european weather.peaceful.humble and godly peple.i always mis gembu.guy u need to be dia.heaven on earth.too much bushmeat
Re: My Car Has Been Packed For 4 Months- What To Do Before Starting It Up Again by MarshalABS: 7:58am On Nov 13, 2016
Talk tru, Recession don hammer u abi.
Re: My Car Has Been Packed For 4 Months- What To Do Before Starting It Up Again by Nobody: 7:59am On Nov 13, 2016
Pour petrol on it and set it on fire if it is not a brand new 2016 model. I am sure it will be fine

1 Like

Re: My Car Has Been Packed For 4 Months- What To Do Before Starting It Up Again by omonnakoda: 8:05am On Nov 13, 2016
No biggie,just unpack it
Re: My Car Has Been Packed For 4 Months- What To Do Before Starting It Up Again by kingsley1971: 8:30am On Nov 13, 2016
Be very careful when opening the bonnet because reptiles like snake and rodents like rats may have taken over your engine compartment as shelter. If you are sure its ok, the following should be checked.
1. water level in your radiator
2. Engine oil
2. hydraulic level for breaks
3. Power steering oil level
4. Wind screen wiper water level
5. Check your Tyre.
6. Check your Battery voltage (11.5vlts) will surely start the car when you are ready.
7. Clean your wind screen properly
8. Check for broken wires ( rats may have eaten up some parts).. if you notice eaten up up wires, do not start the car, call in your electrician.

If all these are ok, start the car, do not do not rev, allow the car to run on slow for few minutes ( at least 3 minutes to allow for oil circulation within the engine block, test our wipers if its working, move slowly forward and tap your brake to confirm functionality, test your horn, head lamps and traffic lights, lastly check your vehicle papers and your license if its all up to date because one might forget its all expired.
Take the car to a shop and gauge all the tyres.

Take the car to your Mech for servicing within the week to keep up your engine grade.

Keep a servicing record.

Have a nice season and good luck.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Car Has Been Packed For 4 Months- What To Do Before Starting It Up Again by jahsson(m): 8:31am On Nov 13, 2016
seyicrown2008:

that is the best so that the Viscosity will come out

Nah wa... "So that viscosity will come out"... Come out from wer nah??..
Hehhehehe

2 Likes

Re: My Car Has Been Packed For 4 Months- What To Do Before Starting It Up Again by Tyche(m): 8:38am On Nov 13, 2016
dhtml18:
Ayam here to check the NAMES of the COMMENTERS
U want to epp count NL that yave cars.
Re: My Car Has Been Packed For 4 Months- What To Do Before Starting It Up Again by Eugenemoore: 8:42am On Nov 13, 2016
Do you know what, if your car has been parked for up to four months and you don't know what to do, its simple and the solution is at your finger tips. Just apply four teaspoon of salt solution right inside the engine then ganish it with four litres of fuel to support the ministry in the in body of the car, then go inside the car and start it but if it didn't work then apply matches. And you will see the wonders of the world.
Re: My Car Has Been Packed For 4 Months- What To Do Before Starting It Up Again by eezeribe(m): 8:47am On Nov 13, 2016
You wrote packed in the Heading of the post, then unpack the car

1 Like

Re: My Car Has Been Packed For 4 Months- What To Do Before Starting It Up Again by stpat1(m): 9:30am On Nov 13, 2016
Exponental:

Yoir connected battery was active without a recharge.
Is that why it went dead? Even after recharging, it still wouldn't hold charge.
Re: My Car Has Been Packed For 4 Months- What To Do Before Starting It Up Again by teemy(m): 9:43am On Nov 13, 2016
if you know you would be away for a long time always disconnect the battery terminals or in case of other appliances remove the battery after full charge.
Re: My Car Has Been Packed For 4 Months- What To Do Before Starting It Up Again by ricki: 10:08am On Nov 13, 2016
bulldoza:
Ha! shocked
Did you say 4 months shocked shocked shocked
You better call TB Joshua, Adeboye, Oyedepo and the rest to rain prayers on it before entering the car.
It's possible that Awon aye has been doing meeting on it. grin
I left my ford focus in same place for 2 years nd nothing happened. Just rodden, rain, sun and children for street tattoed de entire body.

Started 1st time on new battery.
Re: My Car Has Been Packed For 4 Months- What To Do Before Starting It Up Again by deliveryboy: 10:15am On Nov 13, 2016
seyicrown2008:

that is the best so that the Viscosity will come out
So that viscosity will come out? How can viscosity come out of a car. Guy mind ya sef this sunday morning.
Re: My Car Has Been Packed For 4 Months- What To Do Before Starting It Up Again by omron(m): 11:49am On Nov 13, 2016
Honestly this is not a joke
I parked my car with mechanic for good 9 years just becous I wanted to paint it
To my suprise after pitting fuel and battery I start the car and it answers once

1 Like

Re: My Car Has Been Packed For 4 Months- What To Do Before Starting It Up Again by steveyen(m): 12:22pm On Nov 13, 2016
pressplay411:

Call your pastor first.
Which kain question is this for Christ sake?

Pastor still busy casting it out the demon of recession from Nigerian folks. Cant wait till the demon will go out cause i heard it might take a while. grin
Re: My Car Has Been Packed For 4 Months- What To Do Before Starting It Up Again by steveyen(m): 12:34pm On Nov 13, 2016
eezeribe:
You wrote packed in the Heading of the post, then unpack the car
grin grin grin This is a typo ohhh guys !!!! I can see a lot of grammarians on my heels. Make I run pass then sharpaly cheesy
Re: My Car Has Been Packed For 4 Months- What To Do Before Starting It Up Again by johnsonjosbles(m): 12:40pm On Nov 13, 2016
steveyen:

Thanks so much
hmm, u r welcome, dnt mind dat guy oh, he stole my ideal frm my mind when i was sleeping and he got it right anyway, dats just it.
Re: My Car Has Been Packed For 4 Months- What To Do Before Starting It Up Again by LoveJesus87(m): 1:08pm On Nov 13, 2016
africanusvu:
I parkd mine and went for NYSC in gembu.came bak after 1yr and went for job hunt for 6 months.i came bak open my car turnd the ignition.and off i zoomed.
wow. Gembu in Taraba? shocked shocked
Re: My Car Has Been Packed For 4 Months- What To Do Before Starting It Up Again by erico2k2(m): 1:12pm On Nov 13, 2016
steveyen:
Folks,

I have been outta town for over 4 months now. My car has been parked for those months, though I removed the battery.

Please is there anything I need to do before starting the car again?

Just afraid if i turn the ignition something might go wrong having being parked for such number of months.

I will appreciate your nuggets on this.

Thanks all in advance.
Just check levels of all fluid in the car, if they all gauge start ,Observe exhust,dashboard l ight,check Engine compartment,check tyres if all OK then drive off
for those of you saying change Oil, do not forget it comes out better when warm, so why should OP drain Oil first grin grin grin
Re: My Car Has Been Packed For 4 Months- What To Do Before Starting It Up Again by erico2k2(m): 1:13pm On Nov 13, 2016
deliveryboy:

So that viscosity will come out? How can viscosity come out of a car. Guy mind ya sef this sunday morning.
grin grin grin grin grin grin Baba free the guy, nah Sunday lazyness grin grin grin
Re: My Car Has Been Packed For 4 Months- What To Do Before Starting It Up Again by DedeNkem: 1:13pm On Nov 13, 2016
steveyen:
Folks,

I have been outta town for over 4 months now. My car has been parked for those months, though I removed the battery.

Please is there anything I need to do before starting the car again?

Just afraid if i turn the ignition something might go wrong having being parked for such number of months.

I will appreciate your nuggets on this.

Thanks all in advance.

Do the following;

- Change oil and filter.
- Change the battery.
- Check tyre pressures.
- Check that nothing's nesting under the bonnet or has chewed through the pipes/hoses.
- Re-tighten any drive belts loosened when the car was put away.
- Check all fluid levels before starting – change the oil once the car's running.
- Stale fuel could be a problem – hopefully there's not too much in the tank so that fresh fuel can be added and can get through to the engine.
- Check the plugs.
- Check brake operation including the handbrake – the brakes will probably be seized on if the car's been left with the handbrake applied. Try engaging a gear and driving gently, otherwise dismantling may be necessary
- Start the car and ler it run for, at least, 2mins for the oil to circlate well in the engine before you drive off.

Next time do the following if you gonna park for more than 4 months;

- Carry out an 'oil and filter' service.
- Slacken auxiliary drive belts – alternator, power steering, air conditioning, etc. Don't slacken the camshaft drive belt.
- Lubricate locks with a suitable lock oil.
- Spray under the bonnet, around the battery box, under the wings and the metal in the boot area with WD40 (a penetrating oil and water-displacing spray) or similar.
- Lift the vehicle onto blocks or stands to raise the wheels clear of the ground and unstress the tyres.
- If you can, remove the wheels and store them flat in a cool dark place.
Re: My Car Has Been Packed For 4 Months- What To Do Before Starting It Up Again by erico2k2(m): 1:15pm On Nov 13, 2016
Dantee005:
No offense meant O.p but I think u should have simply asked for advice from a professional Nt an online forum...... undecided
Who tell u say pros nor dey this forum, Plz do not dis the Pros o n here
In Orubebe's voice"" We will not take it "" cheesy cheesy
Re: My Car Has Been Packed For 4 Months- What To Do Before Starting It Up Again by erico2k2(m): 1:17pm On Nov 13, 2016
DedeNkem:

Do the following;

- Change oil and filter.
- Change the battery.
- Check tyre pressures.
- Check that nothing's nesting under the bonnet or has chewed through the pipes/hoses.
- Re-tighten any drive belts loosened when the car was put away.
- Check all fluid levels before starting – change the oil once the car's running.
- Stale fuel could be a problem – hopefully there's not too much in the tank so that fresh fuel can be added and can get through to the engine.
- Check the plugs.
- Check brake operation including the handbrake – the brakes will probably be seized on if the car's been left with the handbrake applied. Try engaging a gear and driving gently, otherwise dismantling may be necessary
- Start the car and ler it run for, at least, 2mins for the oil to circlate well in the engine before you drive off.

Next time do the following if you gonna park for more than 4 months;

- Carry out an 'oil and filter' service.
- Slacken auxiliary drive belts – alternator, power steering, air conditioning, etc. Don't slacken the camshaft drive belt.
- Lubricate locks with a suitable lock oil.
- Spray under the bonnet, around the battery box, under the wings and the metal in the boot area with WD40 (a penetrating oil and water-displacing spray) or similar.
- Lift the vehicle onto blocks or stands to raise the wheels clear of the ground and unstress the tyres.
- If you can, remove the wheels and store them flat in a cool dark place.
some cars will go into secure mode if you raise all 4 tyres at once, they might think you are stealing them grin
Re: My Car Has Been Packed For 4 Months- What To Do Before Starting It Up Again by basadenet: 1:25pm On Nov 13, 2016
Change the oil and check the tyres.
Re: My Car Has Been Packed For 4 Months- What To Do Before Starting It Up Again by iyanuden(m): 1:48pm On Nov 13, 2016
efilefun:
Who else noticed the increase in numbers of front page TOPICS with grammatical errors in the past few days cry angry shocked
Birds of the same feather...... Pot calling kettle black mtchewwwwwwwwwww
Re: My Car Has Been Packed For 4 Months- What To Do Before Starting It Up Again by africanusvu(m): 2:03pm On Nov 13, 2016
LoveJesus87:
wow. Gembu in Taraba? shocked shocked
YES.MANDAGA AFTER NGOROJE TO BE ACTUAL.U KNW THERE
Re: My Car Has Been Packed For 4 Months- What To Do Before Starting It Up Again by Myrolemodel: 3:33pm On Nov 13, 2016
Ensure that the battery is charged. Then start the car without stepping on the throttle. Allow the car to steam in slow mode for at least ten minutes. Then drive it to the nearest mechanic for a change of engine oil.
Re: My Car Has Been Packed For 4 Months- What To Do Before Starting It Up Again by huntax(m): 4:52pm On Nov 13, 2016
africanusvu:
Bros.gembu is d best place in nig.i was initialy scare.i even opted for kaiimlamido[snake island]bt i tank heavens 4 gembu.i was in GDSS mandaga.very hily.european weather.peaceful.humble and godly peple.i always mis gembu.guy u need to be dia.heaven on earth.too much bushmeat
Haha! I guessed as much. I really missed the opportunity to go there. I was told the hilly road caused a lot of fatal accidents in the past, so I just opted out cowardly.
I regret not going. What time of the year were u there?

1 Like

Re: My Car Has Been Packed For 4 Months- What To Do Before Starting It Up Again by LoveJesus87(m): 5:07pm On Nov 13, 2016
africanusvu:
YES.MANDAGA AFTER NGOROJE TO BE ACTUAL.U KNW THERE
not really. I did my NYSC camp at Taraba November 2013 batch C, was actually posted to Adamawa state but due to book haram we were camped at jalingo with Taraba corpers. I would have been deployed there but I attempted to redeployed to delta but was thrown to Edo state which I regretted seriously as dat place was useless compared to Taraba. Heard d place so far its almost 7 hours from jalingo. And dat dey have got oil there too. Sometimes I look back and wished I had stayed where God put me then. So how was d place bro?
Re: My Car Has Been Packed For 4 Months- What To Do Before Starting It Up Again by Nobody: 5:11pm On Nov 13, 2016
austinbrown:
Take it to alaoji and change the gear box

WHAT THE HELL!!!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

A Visit To GAZZUZZ Workshop (With Pics) / Annoying Things Lagos Drivers Do On The Road By AutoReportNG / Peugeot Inching Back Into The US Market

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.