Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,242 members, 7,815,329 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:56 AM

Why We Won’t Reverse Power Privatisation – FG - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why We Won’t Reverse Power Privatisation – FG (12991 Views)

2019: Why We Won’t Support Buhari – South West Youths / We Won’t Tell Efcc To Arrest Jonathan – Osinbajo / Buhari: I'm In Dilemma Over Power Privatisation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why We Won’t Reverse Power Privatisation – FG by ijustdey: 10:12am On Nov 11, 2016
The Minister of Power, Works and Housing, Mr Babatunde Fashola yesterday said the Federal Government would not revoke the privatisation of the power sector done three years ago.

Fashola who spoke at the 5th European Union (EU)-Nigeria Business Forum in Lagos said: “The Federal Government will respect and uphold the contract it has been committed to and inherited from the past administration. I am not in charge of power sector to revoke the privatisation agreement signed three years ago.”

Fashola was reacting to recent calls especially from business mogul, Alhaji Aliko Dangote to reverse the privatisation for better performance. He maintained that government has no gain if its sends the investors away.

“If those calling for revisiting of the privatisation of the power sector meant to say improving the governance, performance and efficiency, then, I am here for that. If revisiting it will mean that Distribution Companies (DisCos) should open up and investments should come in, I am for that.

“If it means that the entire power sector will become very efficient, I will support it. But, I will not support cancelling of the contracts we had with them,” he explained.

The minister hinted that revoking the held private equity would send wrong signals to other investors and that could affect the flow of Foreign Direct Investments (FDI).

He urged the EU-business delegates to invest in the power sector, saying that no economy would grow without investment in infrastructure.

Meanwhile the Lagos state Governor, Akinwunmi Ambode in a report by the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) assured that the state is committed to providing critical infrastructures to support businesses.

Ambode who was represented by the Secretary to the State Government, Mr Tunji Bello, said SMEs have huge potential for jobs creation and improved productivity.

http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/general/why-we-won-t-reverse-power-privatisation-fg/171161.html#
Re: Why We Won’t Reverse Power Privatisation – FG by general111(m): 10:17am On Nov 11, 2016
But I am not enjoying any power na.Nigerians are tired of signing contracts,but results.

2 Likes

Re: Why We Won’t Reverse Power Privatisation – FG by zakim(m): 11:03am On Nov 11, 2016
ok
Re: Why We Won’t Reverse Power Privatisation – FG by idris4r83(m): 2:22pm On Nov 11, 2016
It is better to be left privatised for the following reasons
1. Discos are now more efficient than the defunct NEPA
2. No more political interference.
3. Government are raising more revenue than before.
4. More jobs have been created.

8 Likes

Re: Why We Won’t Reverse Power Privatisation – FG by Firefire(m): 2:23pm On Nov 11, 2016
Yeye people, bunch of jokers. cheesy grin

6 Likes

Re: Why We Won’t Reverse Power Privatisation – FG by symbianDON(m): 2:23pm On Nov 11, 2016
observers committee....we siddon de look

2 Likes

Re: Why We Won’t Reverse Power Privatisation – FG by Akinz0126(m): 2:24pm On Nov 11, 2016
Useless Minister of darkness Sha you were bashing Jonathan's Government now it's your oga that's @ the helm of affair No cause for alarm I guess Bunch of lunatics.

Walai everytyn for the nation self dey annoying ah swear.Bullshit

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why We Won’t Reverse Power Privatisation – FG by babyfaceafrica: 2:25pm On Nov 11, 2016
Noted
Re: Why We Won’t Reverse Power Privatisation – FG by LordAdam: 2:25pm On Nov 11, 2016
I am not understanding this Dangote sef.

Only you want government to sell NLNG but you want them to stop privatization in power.

Sometimes, when this guy talks (with all due respect for his business acumen), I begin to question his nationality.

NLNG that's been properly managed should stay under the government. Power where Nigeria before privatization had spent more than $35b to generate less than 3000MW should go to private hands. The power sector is like the refineries. If we hadn't privatized, we'd have continued dumping money to unseen cabals without noticeable improvements.

-Lord

13 Likes

Re: Why We Won’t Reverse Power Privatisation – FG by SirHouloo(m): 2:28pm On Nov 11, 2016
Privatization is the beat thing that has ever happened to discos. .. Those guys almost run the thing down when it was under the government.
Re: Why We Won’t Reverse Power Privatisation – FG by admax(m): 2:29pm On Nov 11, 2016
The minister hinted that revoking the held private equity would send wrong signals to other investors and that could affect the flow of Foreign Direct Investments (FDI).

Succinct!
I wonder where the FOREX will come from if not through FDI's. Those guys (DISCO's) should never have been allowed to buy those entities but since we have powerful politicians backing them up, the ineptitude Government sold them.

1 Like

Re: Why We Won’t Reverse Power Privatisation – FG by SamuelAnyawu(m): 2:29pm On Nov 11, 2016
cool cool cool cool
Re: Why We Won’t Reverse Power Privatisation – FG by lastmessenger: 2:29pm On Nov 11, 2016
Lord i dont know why we just cant seem to get it right in this country.
Lord please we need u to send us our own Syrus to deliver us from this ruins.
Amen
Re: Why We Won’t Reverse Power Privatisation – FG by Nobody: 2:30pm On Nov 11, 2016
grin grin grin grin
Re: Why We Won’t Reverse Power Privatisation – FG by kennykane1(m): 2:30pm On Nov 11, 2016
Excuse me, but which power are they actually talking about?

1 Like

Re: Why We Won’t Reverse Power Privatisation – FG by baski92(m): 2:30pm On Nov 11, 2016
Just give us the light

1 Like

Re: Why We Won’t Reverse Power Privatisation – FG by biggy26: 2:32pm On Nov 11, 2016
Fashe like big big grammar...hmmm

2 Likes

Re: Why We Won’t Reverse Power Privatisation – FG by HOMF: 2:33pm On Nov 11, 2016
they won't because it doesn't favour the common Nigerian
Re: Why We Won’t Reverse Power Privatisation – FG by Nobody: 2:34pm On Nov 11, 2016
Useless govt

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why We Won’t Reverse Power Privatisation – FG by emi14: 2:35pm On Nov 11, 2016
Allow Dangote to build private power station
Re: Why We Won’t Reverse Power Privatisation – FG by Nobody: 2:38pm On Nov 11, 2016
Big ups to you all!

My thoughts and prayers to all those Southerners that fell for the Scam courtesy of Tinubu and co.

The saying in Hausa Goes: Da bamu San hasalin balbela bane.....

Good luck to you all that support Buhari and co!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why We Won’t Reverse Power Privatisation – FG by Abusombody: 2:38pm On Nov 11, 2016
Come to think of it the FG has much gain now that's is private than b4, so y should they reverse it when they are receiving times 50 of what they where receiving when it was public owns firm. moreover we know those that bought the firm are the Oga @ the Top

1 Like

Re: Why We Won’t Reverse Power Privatisation – FG by jeeqaa7(m): 2:39pm On Nov 11, 2016
ok
Re: Why We Won’t Reverse Power Privatisation – FG by Sunnylink(m): 2:41pm On Nov 11, 2016
Real wisdom is needed to achieve something relevant in this administration.
Re: Why We Won’t Reverse Power Privatisation – FG by Nobody: 2:42pm On Nov 11, 2016
Dumb/incoherent response!...the privatisation was shabily executed, hence the under-performance! REVERSE THE SALE!

1 Like

Re: Why We Won’t Reverse Power Privatisation – FG by Diadala(m): 2:44pm On Nov 11, 2016
Wonderful feeling
Re: Why We Won’t Reverse Power Privatisation – FG by zangiff(m): 2:50pm On Nov 11, 2016
it better that way, we are not enjoying anything
Re: Why We Won’t Reverse Power Privatisation – FG by heftycul: 2:52pm On Nov 11, 2016
better private
Re: Why We Won’t Reverse Power Privatisation – FG by pansophist(m): 2:54pm On Nov 11, 2016
I do not know much about the details of power privatization, but if it was a lease for let's say 50 years, then it's okay. Monopolizing power, a key resource for growth to foreign investors is catastrophic. Many of this investors have imperialistic tendencies and controlled by their government that operate on capitalism and economical competition. I won't be surprised if Nigeria cannot solve its power issues to foster home grown industries.

1 Like

Re: Why We Won’t Reverse Power Privatisation – FG by masseratti: 2:54pm On Nov 11, 2016
Akinz0126:
Useless Minister of darkness Sha you were bashing Jonathan's Government now it's your oga that's @ the helm of affair No cause for alarm I guess Bunch of lunatics.

Walai everytyn for the nation self dey annoying ah swear.Bullshit

Jonathan Is the cause of it, he sold it to his friends, Ayeni and co,same dude that donated 2billion naira for his campaign, that said, ikeja disco billed me 14500 and 16k for the month of August and September respectively, meanwhile our transformer was faulty for the two months, how do you explain that, they were unaware, meter is there, and they still do estimated billing, is it rocket science to install meters? Why can't they take the meter readings like they use to do in the days of old NEPA? when u bring d bill for last month the marketer will take the reading and calculate your Bill for the day as against the last day of reading, thats not hard to do.
NERC and Fashola are failing on this one, this diacos are robbing Nigerians blind, how can I be paying such amount for darkness, even if there is 24 power, my bill cannot be up to 8k per month.
Ikeja disco is the no 1 culprit, big thieves, this does not happen anywhere in the world,
Fashola should resign if he cannot turn things around, to be a minister of power is not by force,
Btw am a fan of his but I don't think he is capable in that position, am a lere boy just like him, hang out in Itolo too if you know what i mean.

5 Likes

Re: Why We Won’t Reverse Power Privatisation – FG by nonjebose(m): 2:57pm On Nov 11, 2016
LordAdam:
I am not understanding this Dangote sef.

Only you want government to sell NLNG but you want them to stop privatization in power.

Sometimes, when this guy talks (with all due respect for his business acumen), I begin to question his nationality.

NLNG that's been properly managed should stay under the government. Power where Nigeria before privatization had spent more than $35b to generate less than 3000MW should go to private hands. The power sector is like the refineries. If we hadn't privatized, we'd have continued dumping money to unseen cabals without noticeable improvements.

-Lord
I think his request for govt to revisit the privatization of the power sector is not even for govt ownership, but for him to get a chunky bite of the cookie

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Tinubu Approved N3bn For National Social Register Verification – Bayo Onanuga / IGP Bans Use Of POS Machines In Stations, Force Facilities Nationwide / Lai Mohammed: ISWAP Behind Attacks On Christians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.