Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,896 members, 7,814,031 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:12 AM

It's Official: Nigeria Not Among World's Most Corrupt Nations - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / It's Official: Nigeria Not Among World's Most Corrupt Nations (945 Views)

It's Official Nigeria Is Falling Apart / List Of The World's Most Corrupt Nations / Dangote Listed Among World’s 50 Most Influential Persons (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

It's Official: Nigeria Not Among World's Most Corrupt Nations by Nobody: 5:22am On Nov 02, 2009
We have issues with corruption make no mistake.

But we're hardly among the 'most corrupt' nations in the world.

According to the latest Transparency International rankings, Nigeria is LESS corrupt than the following nations:

Indonesia
Venezuela
Libya
Pakistan
Russia
Ukraine
Taijikistan
Iran
Philippines
Paraguay
Syria
Kyrgyzstan
Ecuador
Azerbaijan
Sao Tome and Principe
Belarus
Iraq
Ivory Coast
Angola
Kenya
Cameroon
Togo
Yemen
Laos
Viet Nam
Kazakhstan
Turkmenistan
Uzbekistan
Bangladesh
Eritrea
Papua New Guinea
Ethiopia
Guyana
Honduras
Mozambique
Uganda
Comoros
Cambodia
Nicaragua
Afghanistan
Timor-Leste
Myanmar
Liberia
Sierra Leone
Zimbabwe
Somalia
DRC Congo
Burundi
Sudan
Guinea
Central African Republic
Tonga
Haiti
Congo, Republic
Gambia
Guinea-Bissau
Equatorial Guinea
Chad

Considering that just a few short years ago, Nigeria was straight up NO 1 on this very list as ''the most corrupt nation in the world'', I would say we've made considerable progress in tackling this problem over the last few years.

Kudos to all concerned for the remarkable progress thus far made.   cool cool

http://www.transparency.org/policy_research/surveys_indices/cpi/2008

PS: To those who have a special problem with this post, please direct all queries to Transparency International, the officially recognised global corruption watchdog.

Many thanks!   wink wink
Re: It's Official: Nigeria Not Among World's Most Corrupt Nations by Fhemmmy: 5:48am On Nov 02, 2009
waoh, i guess it is time for Nigerians to be singing and be dancing on the street?
Please. . . . make i see road.
Re: It's Official: Nigeria Not Among World's Most Corrupt Nations by Nobody: 6:31am On Nov 02, 2009
Who asked u to sing and dance? 

I bet you would have eagerly posted the rankings had we been rated No 1 most corrupt.

I bet those rankings are just killing ya.   grin

Would u like a glass of water?

A handkerchief perhaps, to wipe your tears of disappointment?

Damn that Transparency International!!  grin
Re: It's Official: Nigeria Not Among World's Most Corrupt Nations by sjeezy8: 6:41am On Nov 02, 2009
lol guys are getting mad Nigeria isn't as corrupted as they expected.

smh Nigerian no want progress
Re: It's Official: Nigeria Not Among World's Most Corrupt Nations by THEAMAKA3(f): 6:52am On Nov 02, 2009
lmao!! almost every african country was named.
lolol
Re: It's Official: Nigeria Not Among World's Most Corrupt Nations by rasputinn(m): 7:33am On Nov 02, 2009
The list has been there for so long but I know there's hope for Nigeria,we wont remain this way forever
Re: It's Official: Nigeria Not Among World's Most Corrupt Nations by bibiking1(m): 7:59am On Nov 02, 2009
Rossike you are one optimistic fellow, you seem to me like one of those Akunyili apologists i had a discussion with a few weeks back. The lovely news of course is that we have a conscience and deep down we know things have really not changed that much! I have a couple of papers on my desk this morning and all i can still see is corruption! Just keep talking my friend, very soon we shall redden the land with the blood of tyrants and rancous fellows spewing panegyrics on the imperialists. It would be only be salutary to eradicate the praise singers also, as their use would be in doubt. Anyway, so much for praise singers i'll go get fuel first
Re: It's Official: Nigeria Not Among World's Most Corrupt Nations by princekevo(m): 8:05am On Nov 02, 2009
So we should start singing praises becoz we ranked 121 on group and we should be jubiliating becoz countries like Ghana, Namibia and common Niger republic are far ahead of us on the Rank.
Get real man that isnt the best position a great nation as Nigeria should be. if you think otherwise continue celebration over failure. Only Nigerian citizens believe that their country should remain the best failures and not among the best.
Re: It's Official: Nigeria Not Among World's Most Corrupt Nations by knight4u(m): 8:34am On Nov 02, 2009
ROSSIKE:

We have issues with corruption make no mistake.

But we're hardly among the 'most corrupt' nations in the world.

According to the latest Transparency International rankings, Nigeria is LESS corrupt than the following nations:

Indonesia
Venezuela
Libya
Pakistan
Russia
Ukraine
Taijikistan
Iran
Philippines
Paraguay
Syria
Kyrgyzstan
Ecuador
Azerbaijan
Sao Tome and Principe
Belarus
Iraq
Ivory Coast
Angola
Kenya
Cameroon
Togo
Yemen
Laos
Viet Nam
Kazakhstan
Turkmenistan
Uzbekistan
Bangladesh
Eritrea
Papua New Guinea
Ethiopia
Guyana
Honduras
Mozambique
Uganda
Comoros
Cambodia
Nicaragua
Afghanistan
Timor-Leste
Myanmar
Liberia
Sierra Leone
Zimbabwe
Somalia
DRC Congo
Burundi
Sudan
Guinea
Central African Republic
Tonga
Haiti
Congo, Republic
Gambia
Guinea-Bissau
Equatorial Guinea
Chad

Considering that just a few short years ago, Nigeria was straight up NO 1 on this very list as ''the most corrupt nation in the world'', I would say we've made considerable progress in tackling this problem over the last few years.

Kudos to all concerned for the remarkable progress thus far made. cool cool

http://www.transparency.org/policy_research/surveys_indices/cpi/2008

PS: To those who have a special problem with this post, please direct all queries to Transparency International, the officially recognised global corruption watchdog.

Many thanks! wink wink
Is this supposed to make us happy? We really need help in Nigeria: DEREGULATON, POWER PROBLEM, CORRUPTION, DILAPIDATING EDUCATIIONAL SYSTEM, ELECTiON MALPRACTICES ETC,
What is there to be happy about? shocked
Re: It's Official: Nigeria Not Among World's Most Corrupt Nations by texazzpete(m): 8:58am On Nov 02, 2009
bibiking1:

Rossike you are one optimistic fellow, you seem to me like one of those Akunyili apologists i had a discussion with a few weeks back. The lovely news of course is that we have a conscience and deep down we know things have really not changed that much! I have a couple of papers on my desk this morning and all i can still see is corruption! Just keep talking my friend, very soon we shall redden the land with the blood of tyrants and rancous fellows spewing panegyrics on the imperialists. It would be only be salutary to eradicate the praise singers also, as their use would be in doubt. Anyway, so much for praise singers i'll go get fuel first

grin
Re: It's Official: Nigeria Not Among World's Most Corrupt Nations by Nobody: 9:34am On Nov 02, 2009
Some of you guys are really weird. You actually expect Nigeria to shoot straight from World's most corrupt nation to  World's cleanest nation without it being an incremental process.

Almost as if by Magic.

What planet are you guys living on

What nation on earth has ever experienced that sort of instantaneous transformation?

YOU are the real dreamers. Keep on dreaming. In the meantime, please allow us SANE humans to celebrate our little successes, no matter how ''minor'' or ''insignificant'' they may appear to you ''oh so perfect souls''.

Mshewwwww!!!!
Re: It's Official: Nigeria Not Among World's Most Corrupt Nations by bibiking1(m): 9:41am On Nov 02, 2009
The same reason you have remained insignificant in the struggle to free the motherland! if you believe in tiny drops of water making the mighty ocean then you are an excuse for a rainy day. Simpleton
Re: It's Official: Nigeria Not Among World's Most Corrupt Nations by Nobody: 9:45am On Nov 02, 2009
BibiKing or whatever you call yourself, I think you are worse than a simpleton.

I think you are an extremely daft and ignorant excuse for a twerp.

Now run along and go queue at the embassy for a visa, pea brain.

You won't be missed.
Re: It's Official: Nigeria Not Among World's Most Corrupt Nations by bibiking1(m): 9:51am On Nov 02, 2009
I apologize for my earlier insult on your person, i guess i was out of line. However, what i want to point out is that these indices are not important if they have no reflection on the well being of the masses. The critical issues should never be substituted with indices and unassuming figures. Once again sorry for my earlier outburst
Re: It's Official: Nigeria Not Among World's Most Corrupt Nations by blacksta(m): 9:55am On Nov 02, 2009
This list has been doctored - The soul of nigeria is corrupt.
Re: It's Official: Nigeria Not Among World's Most Corrupt Nations by Bolarge(m): 9:57am On Nov 02, 2009
Sorry but, did we get better or others got worse? undecided
Re: It's Official: Nigeria Not Among World's Most Corrupt Nations by FBS: 10:02am On Nov 02, 2009
Yes, there is HOPE!
Re: It's Official: Nigeria Not Among World's Most Corrupt Nations by Nobody: 10:10am On Nov 02, 2009
Bibiking 1 said:

I apologize for my earlier insult on your person, i guess i was out of line. However, what i want to point out is that these indices are not important if they have no reflection on the well being of the masses. The critical issues should never be substituted with indices and unassuming figures. Once again sorry for my earlier outburst

Apology accepted.

This is not a question of substituting anything. First you have to understand exactly how Transparency International does its ranking. It's not about some guy sitting in a dark room basement somewhere, cooking up figures.

As I understand it, the rankings are based on a poll of international businesses, conglomerates,  multinationals, and financial agencies - the folks who know where the money is going, and who know which country's officials are demanding bribes, kickbacks, and siphoning funds into foreign accounts etc. If THEY say that corruption is reducing in Nigeria, then it IS reducing. Simple and short.

You all were quick to believe when they voted your country No 1 most corrupt a few years ago, based on the same criteria, so what gives?

Oh, and the reduction in corruption will not lead to a noticeable improvement in living conditions of the country right away either. It will still take YEARS for that to be accomplished, even if we suddenly came under the rulership of Jesus himself. It simply takes TIME for such changes to translate to real tangible benefits for the majority in a country as huge as Nigeria. What we MUST encourage and demand, is continued movement in the right direction, as shown by the report.

The rest will follow.
Re: It's Official: Nigeria Not Among World's Most Corrupt Nations by citizenY(m): 11:49am On Nov 02, 2009
I am running round and round like a beheaded chicken, Are u sure these Transparency guys did not make a mistake?

Or the brown envelope was finally slipped into the hands of somebody there?

Abi OBJ put in a word as an ex member, or is he still there? cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool
Re: It's Official: Nigeria Not Among World's Most Corrupt Nations by Mariory(m): 11:51am On Nov 02, 2009
ROSSIKE:

As I understand it, the rankings are based on a poll of international businesses, conglomerates,  multinationals, and financial agencies - the folks who know where the money is going, and who know which country's officials are demanding bribes, kickbacks, and siphoning funds into foreign accounts etc. If THEY say that corruption is reducing in Nigeria, then it IS reducing. Simple and short.

You all were quick to believe when they voted your country No 1 most corrupt a few years ago, based on the same criteria, so what gives?

Pure and Simple! Enough said really. smiley

(1) (Reply)

Revealed: Ibori, Saraki Plan Take Over Of Presidency / Wazobia / Jonathan To Pick Northerner As Campaign Chief

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.