Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,622 members, 7,823,730 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 02:04 PM

Learn How To Create A Simple Forum Like Nairaland Using Wordpress - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Learn How To Create A Simple Forum Like Nairaland Using Wordpress (4075 Views)

Can't Log In To Nairaland Using UC Browser / How Much Would It Cost To Build A Forum Like Nairaland? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Learn How To Create A Simple Forum Like Nairaland Using Wordpress by Nobody: 5:44pm On Nov 11, 2016
The Broad Concept

Ladies and Gents, please join me as we go through this little tutorial that you may find useful in the nearest future.

Trust me, even if you are a beginner or a complete novice in the use of Wordpress, I will be patient to stall at various intervals to give extended explanations to your point(s) of confusion - with screenshots.

Yaaay! Oya Leggo. wink

It is fast becoming commonplace nowadays to integrate forums in a website. In the past, some webmasters, beginners and experts alike, made use of blogs as the de facto 'subdomain' especially when trying to make a distinction between their 'main' site and 'another part' of their site. ('Another part' = subdomain).

However, as time went by, there was a need for a more interaction 'admin-user' wise and 'user-user' wise. In other words, forums give more interaction to site owners and users.

Now, without too much stale gist, how do we create Forums (to probably compete with Nairaland....lol) using Wordpress plugins.

Outline (for now ==> will be expanded as we progress)

1. Understanding the difference between 'Pages', 'pages' and 'posts'.

*Don't be scared, believe me, I'll take you through these. Na small thing...lol.

2. Understanding Wordpress File Structure.
You may choose to call this 'File Arrangement' if you like. Pretty simple, but continue, has some fun complications.

3. What are the work of plugins?
No be exam bros/babe, but this will pinpoint a pathway for us.

4. Making our choice of plugins.

5. What are shortcodes?
This one sweet die....lol. Very simple stuff. Errm, what do you dial again to check your balance on MTN? *556# right? Okay, now you get an idea of shortcodes.

Okay, I know you are tired. Everything above is just theory. We are done with the theoretical aspect. Please can all University Graduates move to the polytechnics now? IT IS TIME FOR PRACTICAL!

For later use, please download the "bbPress Plugin" for pending use [url="https://wordpress.org/plugins/bbpress/"]here[/url].

cc: Lalasticlala, Mynd44, Seun. My ogas I hail una.

Let's go people, who is with me?
Re: Learn How To Create A Simple Forum Like Nairaland Using Wordpress by BiafranBushBoy: 6:35pm On Nov 11, 2016
present..

1 Like

Re: Learn How To Create A Simple Forum Like Nairaland Using Wordpress by Nobody: 7:53pm On Nov 11, 2016
BiafranBushBoy:
present..
Alright bros. Crowd na liability, make we yarn ourselves they go.
Re: Learn How To Create A Simple Forum Like Nairaland Using Wordpress by BiafranBushBoy: 7:57pm On Nov 11, 2016
Johnzzy:
Alright bros. Crowd na liability, make we yarn ourselves they go.
would really love to learn...
I be novice.. tried creating a basic blog, but I flopped big time.
Re: Learn How To Create A Simple Forum Like Nairaland Using Wordpress by Nobody: 8:19pm On Nov 11, 2016
*For the purpose of this tutorial, I will be using www.unodiscuss.com as a reference point. (you could go read some articles in your spare...lol wink)

Alright, let us seek an understanding between "Pages", "pages" and "posts"

*These 3 Ps represent the summary of the fundamentals of blogging with wordpress. Oya jot this down. I'm waiting.

Okay. The first picture I uploaded gives an instance of "Pages". Let me explain it this way. When you enter some sites, you see some links (or buttons, if you may) at the Header of the website. For example, - 'Home' - 'Contact Us', you get the point? Now by default, these links are called "Pages" - notice the capital 'P' right there. Oya repeat after me - 'Pages!'. Okay, stop shouting grin

(i) On 'Pages'

Pages are used to represent static content. Errm, big grammar right. See it this way. Think about a page you don't want to change in a while. For instance, 'Contact Us'. There is usually nothing to add in such a page na sad - at least for a while. That is why it is called static. It may have the potential of being dynamic o, that is, if you want to update it 23 times a day, that's the problem of your fingers and probably, eyes. Okay, I'm sure you get the gist now.

(ii) On 'posts'

Remember the 3 Ps. We are in the second P now, don't get lost. It is rather intuitive isn't it? Even without me telling you. When you want to create content in wordpress, you do so in form of short posts. Okay, you know the feeling of being in a whatsapp group, where people are just 'posting'? Now, look at that whatsapp screen as a 'Page', then look at each of those your messages as posts. 'posts' are dynamically created. We will see an example later on.

(iii) On 'pages'

Nice, please don't miss out on this. Can you imagine scrolling through Nairaland without stopping? Just imagine it for a moment. Scrolling through all the topics Nairaland has ever created since two thousand Abraham till now. It would bug you down na. Now what innovation was done? After some 'posts', the 'page' is normally truncated to make for a more orderly reading. You get the gist?

Okay, let's take a break, will be back.

Re: Learn How To Create A Simple Forum Like Nairaland Using Wordpress by Nobody: 8:23pm On Nov 11, 2016
BiafranBushBoy:

would really love to learn...

I be novice.. tried creating a basic blog, but I flopped big time.

grin I know the feeling bro, no worries, I'm thinking many others are in your position. Will do my best to simplify it completely.

Well, the aim of this thread is to create a basic forum. Maybe I would have to backup a bit. Let's see how it goes for now. smiley
Re: Learn How To Create A Simple Forum Like Nairaland Using Wordpress by Nobody: 8:45pm On Nov 11, 2016
Sorry for not mentioning this earlier, but for the purpose of this thread, please you should have a custom domain operated by YOU EXCEPT you have upgraded your free wordpress website to a premium (or paid) one. You get?

Errm, a custom domain is simply a domain that is just 'blabla.com' not like '.' or '..com'. Why? If you are using a free '.' kinda domain, you won't be able to install a custom plugin, as is needed for this tutorial. In any case, you can follow up and have the information for future implementation. See grammar. grin

Don't give up yet.

I uploaded the caveat below.

Re: Learn How To Create A Simple Forum Like Nairaland Using Wordpress by Jollyana(f): 1:08pm On Dec 09, 2016
Op please continue na

On a side note, how can I add my posts to pages instead of using categories
Re: Learn How To Create A Simple Forum Like Nairaland Using Wordpress by Nobody: 5:46pm On Dec 09, 2016
Jollyana:
Op please continue na

On a side note, how can I add my posts to pages instead of using categories
I have been EXTREMELY occupied, but I will take you through it tomorrow please.
Re: Learn How To Create A Simple Forum Like Nairaland Using Wordpress by Jollyana(f): 9:06pm On Dec 09, 2016
Johnzzy:

I have been EXTREMELY occupied, but I will take you through it tomorrow please.

Alright, I can wait
Re: Learn How To Create A Simple Forum Like Nairaland Using Wordpress by Nobody: 9:15pm On Dec 09, 2016
Jollyana:

Alright, I can wait
Perfect
Re: Learn How To Create A Simple Forum Like Nairaland Using Wordpress by Nobody: 4:59pm On Dec 11, 2016
Jollyana:

Alright, I can wait
Jollyana, you can start by [b]downloading this plugin, "Posts in Page" [/b]at: https://wordpress.org/plugins/posts-in-page/

1. I am sure you know how to install a plugin smiley (If you don't, please let me know)

2. After installing it, AND activating, click on SETTINGS, in your Admin Panel, you will see something like this (First Pic):

Re: Learn How To Create A Simple Forum Like Nairaland Using Wordpress by Nobody: 5:14pm On Dec 11, 2016
Take note of the first two(2) shortcodes:

i. [ic_add_posts]
ii. [ic_add_posts ids='1,2,3']

If you understand how the first 2 works, you should be able to understand how the rest works.

i. When you want to ADD or MODIFY a page, e.g. "About Us", adding this shortcode AS IT IS, [ic_add_posts] will make EVERY POST you publish appear in "About Us". You get?

ii. This shortcode right here means that you want to put some Selected Posts in a page. However, how do you get the IDs? Simple

When you click on the list of published posts. Click on one of the posts, and look at your address bar as shown in the pic below. That right there is your Post ID. You can select as many IDs as you want but be sure to separate with a comma. Don't forget also that this shortcode is added in the editor of a page.

Have a good evening Jollyana.

I think I have to stop my forum tutorial. A lot of plugins do that already.

Re: Learn How To Create A Simple Forum Like Nairaland Using Wordpress by directonpc(m): 7:22pm On Dec 11, 2016
All the stress for little or no flexibility! Hire a developer or learn to code if u want to do anything serious.
Re: Learn How To Create A Simple Forum Like Nairaland Using Wordpress by Nobody: 7:54pm On Dec 11, 2016
directonpc:
All the stress for little or no flexibility! Hire a developer or learn to code if u want to do anything serious.
How do you mean little or no flexibility? So in your opinion, to prove that you are a 'developer', you code EVERYTHING from the ground up? Why not in fact code the Wordpress platform to prove your mettle? Your opinion is skewed Sir.

Plugins are in fact bound to give more flexibility without going under the hood. And there is always an option of delving deeper if you really want to UNDERSTAND how 'under-the-hood' works.

Don't discourage anyone please.
Re: Learn How To Create A Simple Forum Like Nairaland Using Wordpress by Jollyana(f): 8:32pm On Dec 11, 2016
Johnzzy:
Take note of the first two(2) shortcodes:

i. [ic_add_posts]
ii. [ic_add_posts ids='1,2,3']

If you understand how the first 2 works, you should be able to understand how the rest works.

i. When you want to ADD or MODIFY a page, e.g. "About Us", adding this shortcode AS IT IS, [ic_add_posts] will make EVERY POST you publish appear in "About Us". You get?

ii. This shortcode right here means that you want to put some Selected Posts in a page. However, how do you get the IDs? Simple

When you click on the list of published posts. Click on one of the posts, and look at your address bar as shown in the pic below. That right there is your Post ID. You can select as many IDs as you want but be sure to separate with a comma. Don't forget also that this shortcode is added in the editor of a page.

Have a good evening Jollyana.

I think I have to stop my forum tutorial. A lot of plugins do that already.

Where do I add the IDs? And I don't know how to use the editor of a page.

Does that plugin work automatically or will I have to still manually add the posts to pages?
Re: Learn How To Create A Simple Forum Like Nairaland Using Wordpress by directonpc(m): 9:01pm On Dec 11, 2016
Johnzzy:

How do you mean little or no flexibility? So in your opinion, to prove that you are a 'developer', you code EVERYTHING from the ground up? Why not in fact code the Wordpress platform to prove your mettle? Your opinion is skewed Sir.

Plugins are in fact bound to give more flexibility without going under the hood. And there is always an option of delving deeper if you really want to UNDERSTAND how 'under-the-hood' works.

Don't discourage anyone please.
Plugins that load over 95% of functions u won't need. I am not hear for debate sha! Good luck with building Wembley in WordPress
Re: Learn How To Create A Simple Forum Like Nairaland Using Wordpress by Nobody: 9:03pm On Dec 11, 2016
Jollyana:

Does that plugin work automatically or will I have to still manually add the posts to pages?

First things first, do you know how to add a new Page to your blog? Like 'Contact Us', 'About Us', etc?
Re: Learn How To Create A Simple Forum Like Nairaland Using Wordpress by Nobody: 9:05pm On Dec 11, 2016
Jollyana:

It can work automatically, but you may have to edit your theme file. I will advise against doing that 'cos a little mistake will crash your website.

Are you on skype?
Re: Learn How To Create A Simple Forum Like Nairaland Using Wordpress by Nobody: 9:08pm On Dec 11, 2016
directonpc:

Plugins that load over 95% of functions u won't need. I am not hear for debate sha! Good luck with building Wembley in WordPress
It seems to me you know little or nothing about what you are talking about Sir. Lol.

Like I said earlier, be the great coder that works with Command Prompts and Consoles. However, leave simpletons like we who only make stuff with what people like you create. Gracias.
Re: Learn How To Create A Simple Forum Like Nairaland Using Wordpress by directonpc(m): 10:29pm On Dec 11, 2016
Johnzzy:

It seems to me you know little or nothing about what you are talking about Sir. Lol.

Like I said earlier, be the great coder that works with Command Prompts and Consoles. However, leave simpletons like we who only make stuff with what people like you create. Gracias.
sorry for derailing!
Re: Learn How To Create A Simple Forum Like Nairaland Using Wordpress by Jollyana(f): 11:56pm On Dec 11, 2016
Johnzzy:

First things first, do you know how to add a new Page to your blog? Like 'Contact Us', 'About Us', etc?
yes
Re: Learn How To Create A Simple Forum Like Nairaland Using Wordpress by Jollyana(f): 11:57pm On Dec 11, 2016
Johnzzy:

It can work automatically, but you may have to edit your theme file. I will advise against doing that 'cos a little mistake will crash your website.

Are you on skype?
No
Re: Learn How To Create A Simple Forum Like Nairaland Using Wordpress by Nobody: 9:50am On Dec 12, 2016
Jollyana:
yes
Alright, type this, [ic_add_posts ids='1,2,3'] in every page you want to Add.

For instance, if it is "About Us", just add the above code as a normal text into the " About Us" page.

I'm sure you can see '1,2,3'? Numbers separated by commas. Those are the post IDs. The commas mean you can have more than one post in a Page OR you can have only ONE.

So use my method above to get the post ID of each post you want on a page. Its that simple.

Read what I wrote very slowly. Implementation won't take you a minute.
Re: Learn How To Create A Simple Forum Like Nairaland Using Wordpress by Jollyana(f): 3:16pm On Dec 12, 2016
Johnzzy:

Alright, type this, [ic_add_posts ids='1,2,3'] in every page you want to Add.

For instance, if it is "About Us", just add the above code as a normal text into the " About Us" page.

I'm sure you can see '1,2,3'? Numbers separated by commas. Those are the post IDs. The commas mean you can have more than one post in a Page OR you can have only ONE.

So use my method above to get the post ID of each post you want on a page. Its that simple.

Read what I wrote very slowly. Implementation won't take you a minute.

Thanks. I'll try it out and give you feed back
Re: Learn How To Create A Simple Forum Like Nairaland Using Wordpress by Dapo92(m): 5:50am On Dec 03, 2022
The Broad Concept

Ladies and Gents, please join me as we go through this little tutorial that you may find useful in the nearest future.

Trust me, even if you are a beginner or a complete novice in the use of Wordpress, I will be patient to stall at various intervals to give extended explanations to your point(s) of confusion - with screenshots.

Yaaay! Oya Leggo. wink

It is fast becoming commonplace nowadays to integrate forums in a website. In the past, some webmasters, beginners and experts alike, made use of blogs as the de facto 'subdomain' especially when trying to make a distinction between their 'main' site and 'another part' of their site. ('Another part' = subdomain).

However, as time went by, there was a need for a more interaction 'admin-user' wise and 'user-user' wise. In other words, forums give more interaction to site owners and users.

Now, without too much stale gist, how do we create Forums (to probably compete with Nairaland....lol) using Wordpress plugins.

Outline (for now ==> will be expanded as we progress)

1. Understanding the difference between 'Pages', 'pages' and 'posts'.

*Don't be scared, believe me, I'll take you through these. Na small thing...lol.

2. Understanding Wordpress File Structure.
You may choose to call this 'File Arrangement' if you like. Pretty simple, but continue, has some fun complications.

3. What are the work of plugins?
No be exam bros/babe, but this will pinpoint a pathway for us.

4. Making our choice of plugins.

5. What are shortcodes?
This one sweet die....lol. Very simple stuff. Errm, what do you dial again to check your balance on MTN? *556# right? Okay, now you get an idea of shortcodes.

Okay, I know you are tired. Everything above is just theory. We are done with the theoretical aspect. Please can all University Graduates move to the polytechnics now? IT IS TIME FOR PRACTICAL!

For later use, please download the "bbPress Plugin" for pending use [url="https://wordpress.org/plugins/bbpress/"]here[/url].

cc: Lalasticlala, Mynd44, Seun. My ogas I hail una.

Let's go people, who is with me?

Built a forum like Nairaland here: https://www.alphawebtips.com/build-forum-like-nairaland-with-wordpress/

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

4 Things Bloggers Should Learn From Journalists / Error "Com.digitalpersona.onetouch.jni.jniexception" / How To Create Birthday Table/form In Php And Mysql?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.