Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,923 members, 7,835,086 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 03:35 AM

Your Phone Will No Longer Support Whatsapp In December - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Your Phone Will No Longer Support Whatsapp In December (1767 Views)

Android Phones Will Soon No Longer Support Installation Of APK Files, See Why / What 40K Phone Will You Recommend / Does The New Nokia 3310 Support Whatsapp And Facebook? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Your Phone Will No Longer Support Whatsapp In December by Areolad: 10:49am On Nov 12, 2016
WhatsApp is to end support for a number of operating systems including Blackberry 10, Nokia Symbian S60 and Windows Phone 7.1.
The company said it wanted to focus development "on the mobile platforms the vast majority of people use".
Facebook-owned WhatsApp, which is used by a billion people worldwide, will stop working on the named operating systems by December 2016.
But it will still work on Blackberry's latest smartphone which runs Android.
Legacy
Most of the operating systems that WhatsApp is dropping support for are legacy operating systems, which are no longer updated or installed on new devices.

The exception is Blackberry 10, which was launched in January 2013 and is still being developed by Blackberry.
Blackberry 10 was launched in January 2013
However, the operating system has failed to gain traction with smartphone users and now accounts for less than 1% of the market.
There had been speculation that the handset-maker would wind down support for Blackberry 10 after it released a smartphone running Android, and closed its "Built for Blackberry" programme for app developers.
But the company told the BBC: "BlackBerry is committed to our BlackBerry 10 operating system, and we work closely with developers to create and deploy solutions to bring apps to our consumer and enterprise fans.
"While the app landscape continues to evolve, our commitment to BlackBerry 10 and our developers is unwavering.
"We are actively exploring alternatives for BlackBerry users once support of WhatsApp Messenger for BBOS and BlackBerry 10 ends in late 2016."
The full list of operating systems WhatsApp will stop supporting is:
Android 2.1 and Android 2.2
Blackberry OS 7 and earlier
Blackberry 10
Nokia S40
Nokia Symbian S60
Windows Phone 7.1
"While these mobile devices have been an important part of our story, they don't offer the kind of capabilities we need to expand our app's features in the future," WhatsApp said in a blogpost.
"When we started WhatsApp in 2009... about 70 percent of smartphones sold at the time had operating systems offered by BlackBerry and Nokia."
The firm said mobile operating systems offered by Google, Apple and Microsoft accounted for 99.5% of sales today

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-35686613
Re: Your Phone Will No Longer Support Whatsapp In December by DaddySLY(m): 10:50am On Nov 12, 2016
if na curse...i reject am grin
Re: Your Phone Will No Longer Support Whatsapp In December by Areolad: 11:10am On Nov 12, 2016
DaddySLY:
if na curse...i reject am grin

Wake up, you've been dreaming

1 Like

Re: Your Phone Will No Longer Support Whatsapp In December by lonelyisland(m): 11:22am On Nov 12, 2016
got this msg from mtn this morning...

Re: Your Phone Will No Longer Support Whatsapp In December by Joshkid(m): 11:28am On Nov 12, 2016
lonelyisland:
got this msg from mtn this morning...
what's your phone's model?
Re: Your Phone Will No Longer Support Whatsapp In December by lonelyisland(m): 11:51am On Nov 12, 2016
Joshkid:
what's your phone's model?
windows 8.1... i just went through the phone section and i saw that it's for windows 7 and secondly mtn is sending it to all there ntwrk users
Re: Your Phone Will No Longer Support Whatsapp In December by Joshkid(m): 12:29pm On Nov 12, 2016
lonelyisland:

windows 8.1... i just went through the phone section and i saw that it's for windows 7 and secondly mtn is sending it to all there ntwrk users
another case I heard was that the guy was using infinix hot note lollipop but mtn sent him the same msg because he's using bb imei
Re: Your Phone Will No Longer Support Whatsapp In December by directonpc(m): 12:41pm On Nov 12, 2016
Why panic when you can get a super android phone like Xiaomi-redmi 4a for an affordable price.
Re: Your Phone Will No Longer Support Whatsapp In December by donMIG(m): 3:26pm On Nov 12, 2016
No b only me dem send d msg abi...thank God
My fone na android 5.1 na....wasnt mentioned....but yet i got d msg
From mtn sef ooo....dia papa
Whatsapp oo or no whatsapp we go still keep in touch....fucktards!
Re: Your Phone Will No Longer Support Whatsapp In December by donMIG(m): 3:28pm On Nov 12, 2016
Joshkid:
another case I heard was that the guy was using infinix hot note lollipop but mtn sent him the same msg because he's using bb imei
shocked lol
So accurate but i suppose its not me
I have a rooted infinix hot note android 5.1...rcvd d msg today
Re: Your Phone Will No Longer Support Whatsapp In December by Dandsome: 6:45pm On Nov 12, 2016
Areolad:

WhatsApp is to end support for a number of operating systems including Blackberry 10, Nokia Symbian S60 and Windows Phone 7.1.
The company said it wanted to focus development "on the mobile platforms the vast majority of people use".
Facebook-owned WhatsApp, which is used by a billion people worldwide, will stop working on the named operating systems by December 2016.
But it will still work on Blackberry's latest smartphone which runs Android.
Legacy
Most of the operating systems that WhatsApp is dropping support for are legacy operating systems, which are no longer updated or installed on new devices.

The exception is Blackberry 10, which was launched in January 2013 and is still being developed by Blackberry.
Blackberry 10 was launched in January 2013
However, the operating system has failed to gain traction with smartphone users and now accounts for less than 1% of the market.
There had been speculation that the handset-maker would wind down support for Blackberry 10 after it released a smartphone running Android, and closed its "Built for Blackberry" programme for app developers.
But the company told the BBC: "BlackBerry is committed to our BlackBerry 10 operating system, and we work closely with developers to create and deploy solutions to bring apps to our consumer and enterprise fans.
"While the app landscape continues to evolve, our commitment to BlackBerry 10 and our developers is unwavering.
"We are actively exploring alternatives for BlackBerry users once support of WhatsApp Messenger for BBOS and BlackBerry 10 ends in late 2016."
The full list of operating systems WhatsApp will stop supporting is:
Android 2.1 and Android 2.2
Blackberry OS 7 and earlier
Blackberry 10
Nokia S40
Nokia Symbian S60
Windows Phone 7.1
"While these mobile devices have been an important part of our story, they don't offer the kind of capabilities we need to expand our app's features in the future," WhatsApp said in a blogpost.
"When we started WhatsApp in 2009... about 70 percent of smartphones sold at the time had operating systems offered by BlackBerry and Nokia."
The firm said mobile operating systems offered by Google, Apple and Microsoft accounted for 99.5% of sales today

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-35686613

Thank God am still married to my Tecno phone
Re: Your Phone Will No Longer Support Whatsapp In December by KingBelieve: 3:46am On Nov 13, 2016
I no fit buy phone for January because of Whatsapp, no I can't

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Glo Data Overload Benefit / Binatone Bac-200 Air Cooler For Sale / Neat Apple Ipad2 Wifi Only For Sale At N30k

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.