Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,850 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:11 PM

Is Courtship Biblical? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Courtship Biblical? (537 Views)

Hello My Spiritual Brethren. Is 1 Year Too Much For A Christian Courtship? / Faith And David Oyedepo During Their Courtship Days (Throwback Photo) / It's Biblical To Reject Drugs When You're Sick (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Courtship Biblical? by Nobody: 12:04am On Nov 13, 2016
Someone asked me this question and I was unable to answer. Is there anywhere in the bible that tells us about courtship. Isaac didn't court rebbecah, Jacob didn't court any of his wives.

So why do some churches ask couples to have a courtship period of six months or more. Please, bible scholars help me.

Uncle lalasticlala, please take our ministry to the permanent site.
Re: Is Courtship Biblical? by DoctorAlien(m): 12:10am On Nov 13, 2016
I believe courtship gives one opportunity to find out things about his/her potential spouse. During such a period, one can know how compatible he/she is with the person with whom he/she intends spending the rest of his/her life.

The Bible does not forbid getting to know the personality(not carnal knowledge) of your spouse-to-be.
Re: Is Courtship Biblical? by Nobody: 9:51am On Nov 13, 2016
DoctorAlien:
I believe courtship gives one opportunity to find out things about his/her potential spouse. During such a period, one can know how compatible he/she is with the person with whom he/she intends spending the rest of his/her life.

The Bible does not forbid getting to know the personality(not carnal knowledge) of your spouse-to-be.

The bible does not talk about courtship, so I believe it's more of a personal belief. My question is, why do churches make the whole courtship stuff compulsory?

1 Like

Re: Is Courtship Biblical? by Ajinoride(m): 10:37am On Dec 01, 2016
Queenbeee:

The bible does not talk about courtship, so I believe it's more of a personal belief. My question is, why do churches make the whole courtship stuff compulsory?

courtship is a repackaged term for betrothal.
most churches opted for courtship, because if the city life we found ourselves in. there is a lot of deceit in the air.
Re: Is Courtship Biblical? by ifenes(m): 11:25am On Dec 01, 2016
Queenbeee:

Religion itself is a creation of a society to reform or contain their society. The only way they could make it accepted by their people is to add God. The addition of an all invincible man who watches you all the time even when you are alone makes people reluctantly do bad deeds.

And as you can see Courtship is another invention that is meant to let the couple get used to each other to avoid family breakdown. It was a good invention of humans but years and years down the line the flaws gets exposed.

The church is an institution of indoctrination. It's job is to impose the ideas given to it and not to check if they made sense or not. The Church is gonna make Courtship compulsory because that is what it has been programmed to....even when it has stopped working and outdated.

3 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Can A Reverend Father Go To A Native Doctor?. / The Chosen Daily Devotional 14th Dec. 2016 / The SCIENTOLOGY Breakthrough.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.