Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,638 members, 7,809,395 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:50 AM

Presidency To Probe Mass Failure In SSCE, NECO Exams - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Presidency To Probe Mass Failure In SSCE, NECO Exams (7021 Views)

Waec 2014 May/june Results Out. Mass Failure Recorded / NECO Records 50% Improvement In SSCE / Causes Of Mass-Failure In Public Examinations In Nigeria -By Tayo Demola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Presidency To Probe Mass Failure In SSCE, NECO Exams by agitator: 4:48pm On Nov 03, 2009
otukpo:

Why wont the students fail. Do they read their books?
They are always busy watching films and movies. The teachers wont teach them everything, they have to study on their own. Talk about poorly motivated teachers and poor academic conditions, that is another thing.
But our students shld learn to devote their time to studying. I remember when i was in secondary school, i study with the syllable, i dont wait for teachers to teach me b4 i study. in most cases, when the teacher enters the classroom, it wld be kind of a revision for me.

The students now rely so much on expo and help during exam, and when that expo or help is not forth coming, what do u get? Massive failure.

You were studying to gain knowledge, presently this is irrelevant, what is relevant is certificate (paper qualification). flow with the tide.

Actually some students even if they are allowed to use all available text books while writing exams they will still fail. sad
Re: Presidency To Probe Mass Failure In SSCE, NECO Exams by cvibe: 6:55pm On Nov 03, 2009
It is not the fault of the students. The teachers are the products of institutions which someone said are unemployable.

What do you think these teachers will pass on to the children? Garbage in garbage out!

Couple of years ago, my younger sister used to fail her exams in high school. We decided to investigate the reason for her constant failures. As it turned out, every time she went to school, the class teacher would ask them to place their head on the desk and sleep while she (class teacher) went about selling the lollipop, ice cream and all other sundry items she brought to school, and at the end of term, she would set exams for students she had hardly taught anything.

We had to change her school and there was marked improvement in her academic performance.
Re: Presidency To Probe Mass Failure In SSCE, NECO Exams by lyfe(m): 7:45pm On Nov 03, 2009
I can't remember the number of candles I burnt in my final year, I never read with light, angry , I still scratch my eyes till now.
My friend was using his Naija-compliant Nokia (Phone-with torchlight) to read in the night.
Re: Presidency To Probe Mass Failure In SSCE, NECO Exams by ojofu(m): 8:19pm On Nov 03, 2009
cvibe:

It is not the fault of the students. The teachers are the products of institutions which someone said are unemployable.

What do you think these teachers will pass on to the children? Garbage in garbage out!

Couple of years ago, my younger sister used to fail her exams in high school. We decided to investigate the reason for her constant failures. As it turned out, every time she went to school, the class teacher would ask them to place their head on the desk and sleep while she (class teacher) went about selling the lollipop, ice cream and all other sundry items she brought to school, and at the end of term, she would set exams for students she had hardly taught anything.

We had to change her school and there was marked improvement in her academic performance.

That's my point, If the students have not learnt then the teacher has not taught.

One of my lecturer will never come to lecture until two weeks to exam then he will give some handout so that you can use it to prepare for the exam, now tell me how can one read and pass his course. With some lecturer, It is cause to ask question in class. The most annoying part is that you cannot complain to anybody because if you do, those lecturer will victimise you.
Re: Presidency To Probe Mass Failure In SSCE, NECO Exams by ojofu(m): 8:29pm On Nov 03, 2009
The easiest job to do in Nigeria today is either to be a Lecturer in the University or to be a Teacher in Government school Because they are not supervised. They do what they like.

If you are lecturer, maybe you go to work by 8am, sign the attendance registrar and if you like, disappear till the following morning.
Re: Presidency To Probe Mass Failure In SSCE, NECO Exams by darqly(m): 8:37pm On Nov 03, 2009
Sack Sam Egwu, a real Ewu if ever there was one. Poor students, what a way to start a life, it's never easy FAILING any exam.
Re: Presidency To Probe Mass Failure In SSCE, NECO Exams by Holesher(m): 9:14pm On Nov 03, 2009
How come the the percentage of 5 credit pass (including english and mathematics) are so far apart for WAEC and NECO? Are those two exams not suppose to be testing the same knowledge and awarding equivalent certificates Huh
The mere fact that WAEC 25.99% has while NECO has 10.7% shows that even the institutions that are suppose to measure knowledge are dysfunctional and very unreliable.

The education system is bad but how bad?We can't determine because WAEC and NECO have figures that are too far apart.[/color]

Yes this post generates a lot of emotional reaction!

It is either we have a communication gap, or somebody is given a wrong information same exam 26%-11% there is no correlation.

The fact still remain, I will still blame the students and the teachers perhaps ages between 15-40years! because of lost of social order
The Yoruba adage says "if they do not train you, train yourself"

Before 1994, WAEC result is as bad as this but the military did not give a damn. But looking at the trend from 1995 to 2002 there was a drastic improvement I believe it was not the students that improved but the revolutionist from pre 1994 developed some cheating strategies like: slot-in, special centre, private school, mercenary, two forms, siting side by side and so on. These contributed to the improvement but the actual students are still dummy.

We should not deceive ourselves education standard has been deteriorating every year but the WAEC and NECO results are not given us the true pictures. We should not forget that many of us did not pass our SSCE at a sitting (except the brilliant ones). But now many of them pass it at a sit, not that they are brilliant but hand of God as Maradona said.

The Nigerian govt have never been there for Nigerian students, we have been carrying our cross. Let them provide schools, good roads, electricity, and others our parents we cater for education, May be!
Re: Presidency To Probe Mass Failure In SSCE, NECO Exams by Pharoh: 11:04pm On Nov 03, 2009
10 months from now the cycle will still repeat itself. sad and i would like to cheap in that everyone is to be blamed for this failure.

Government
Parents
Tutors
Society ( The Greatest )
Education Bodies.
Re: Presidency To Probe Mass Failure In SSCE, NECO Exams by adconline(m): 12:43am On Nov 04, 2009
these  clueless politrickians should  be asked  if they could send their kids to the secondary school they attended.
Re: Presidency To Probe Mass Failure In SSCE, NECO Exams by MrFox1(m): 9:11am On Nov 04, 2009
The essence of a probe or even its meaning is to "Find out". In this case, its to find out the cause of mass failure (obvious as that may seem to everyone). The use of statistical data is usually to provide a measure of performance, against the goals or expectations. Its a relief to know that the performance figures has struck the government and they realise that the cause should be found with a view to solving the problem.
However, the word probe in NIgeria has always implied a set negatively motivated actions against officers usually resulting in punishment of some sort.
I totally disagree with the Hadiya that said some heads of schools may be purnished for mass failure of students.
That is not the essence of the required kind of probe in education. The probe should not even be done by a committee, but be carried out by researchers in the universities by education lecturers and students at masters level accross the country over a period of time. So they can go all out to the grassroots and identify all causes.

Finally a committee should review the findings and recommendations of the research, develop and implement a solution project plan to conciously monitor and improve the education of students from JS1 to SS3. 

Many of factors that affect the performance of students and how to alleviate the factors will need to be identified and tackled. You cant expect a student that  has not learnt anything from JS1 to SS3 to pass SSCE. Failure does not start in the exam hall. Expo and mercenary are available at a price just out side the exam hall. Even though cheating is purnishable by 21yrs in jail. Strikes interrupt teaching, yes, but there are two sides to education, teaching and learning. Students are always waiting to be taught or dont even learn what they have been taught.
When a candidate that does not accept that he does not "know" but registers for SSCE, he knows not that he does not know; and as the saying goes "he is a compound fool".

There is a big difference in the way we handle problems in Nigeria and the way developed countries handle them. God help us to develop in our approach, mind set and thinking. Amen.
Re: Presidency To Probe Mass Failure In SSCE, NECO Exams by mireco(m): 9:35am On Nov 04, 2009
I have noticed with dismay that everytime a comment is posted we all get negative replies mostly. I think we should cultivate the habit of thinking positively and not condemning anyone at the slightest possible chance. If we begin to ask ourselves what we have contributed to the progress of this country. I don't mean contributing to ourselves but to others out there. change is a gradual process. I think its a nice move for Government to look into this issue as the result may fall back on them and then changes can be made to avert futher occurrence. Look around you and think of speaking positively about your country. So many comments like dead country, useless country, that's why the white helps on in singing this aloud since we started the song. I urge every nairalander to change from the way we see things and it would speak better of us. THINK POSITIVELY!!!
Re: Presidency To Probe Mass Failure In SSCE, NECO Exams by Witi(m): 9:43am On Nov 04, 2009
mireco:

I have noticed with dismay that everytime a comment is posted we all get negative replies mostly. I think we should cultivate the habit of thinking positively and not condemning anyone at the slightest possible chance. If we begin to ask ourselves what we have contributed to the progress of this country. I don't mean contributing to ourselves but to others out there. change is a gradual process. I think its a nice move for Government to look into this issue as the result may fall back on them and then changes can be made to avert futher occurrence. Look around you and think of speaking positively about your country. So many comments like dead country, useless country, that's why the white helps on in singing this aloud since we started the song. I urge every nairalander to change from the way we see things and it would speak better of us. THINK POSITIVELY!!!
Is our government mature and responsible enough to take blame for their failures?
I think comments about Nigeria on Nairaland is not the way people see things but the way things are, This country is useless.
Re: Presidency To Probe Mass Failure In SSCE, NECO Exams by ojofu(m): 10:33am On Nov 04, 2009
mireco:

The only people that can think POSITIVELY of these country are the POLITICIANS, GOVERNMENT OFFICIAL, GOVERNORS, LOCAL GOVERNMENT CHAIRMEN, COUNSELLOR, GOVERNMENT CONTRACTORS AND ANYBODY THAT IS CORRUPT.
How can one think POSITIVELY when you have, no water, no light, no good roads, poverty everywhere, you enrolled for a five years course in the university but graduated after ten years(no bi because you get carryover oh), general insecurity, industries are collapsing, fuel is imported, when we have more than enough,

I Feel like crying cry cry cry cry cry.

Imagine that you are the son of a richman but you are living like the son a poorman, won't you complain. angry angry

THE ONLY THING WE SHOULD REJOICE ABOUT IS THAT THEY DON'T CONTROL THE AIR WE BREATH IN. infact air for dey scarce too.
Re: Presidency To Probe Mass Failure In SSCE, NECO Exams by VALIDATOR: 10:33am On Nov 04, 2009
@texaxpete
Well, an explanation may be that [color=#990000]WAEC is typically taken exclusively by SS3 students of secondary schools, while anyone can get a NECO form and take the exam. It may just well be different sample spaces you're comparing.

I agree with you, though. It's an abysmal result.
[/color]

Both WAEC and NECO May/June are taken only by SS3 Students. The one anybody can pick the form and take are the November/December versions of both WAEC and NECO. The sample spaces compared are almost the same.

If a certificate is to be respected,it must first validate its own accuracy.
Re: Presidency To Probe Mass Failure In SSCE, NECO Exams by saintfrank(m): 12:08pm On Nov 04, 2009
((Otukpo )) there is an old say which implies… Dat no teacher gho every agree say em fail one day 4 skool…. If you don’t mind I would like to know where you graduated from school and where you are currently working for now. If you can answer dat I we also put what have you achieved so far
agitator:

You were studying to gain knowledge, presently this is irrelevant, what is relevant is certificate (paper qualification). flow with the tide.

Actually some students even if they are allowed to use all available text books while writing exams they will still fail. sad
Re: Presidency To Probe Mass Failure In SSCE, NECO Exams by greateliso(m): 12:12pm On Nov 04, 2009
the standard of education is going down due to insufficient facilities to run the system
Re: Presidency To Probe Mass Failure In SSCE, NECO Exams by becomrich15: 12:35pm On Nov 04, 2009
What do I need to get a university licence. post requirement
Re: Presidency To Probe Mass Failure In SSCE, NECO Exams by Ben13: 1:29pm On Nov 04, 2009
They are happy when they see students fail. shiooooooor sad
Re: Presidency To Probe Mass Failure In SSCE, NECO Exams by olanajim(m): 3:12pm On Nov 04, 2009
Government have problem admitting failure of our educational system. Maybe govt need to grant the "F" kids amnesty so that they will start reading their books and stop messing up the National resources and the good names of the FG at international level.

Someone should sue Yaradua for negligence. He should be hold responsible for everything,
Re: Presidency To Probe Mass Failure In SSCE, NECO Exams by kehindebad(m): 3:48pm On Nov 04, 2009
Hmmmm, My people, are we not missing something?

SOME STUDENTS PASSED!!!! shocked shocked shocked

So before laying all the blame at the foot of the government,
Think of the students that failed, did they actually read?
A lot of students will tell you the first eleven man u players who'll play on saturday
rather than recite the multiplication table

I dont even believe in blaming anyone for your circumstances,
Re: Presidency To Probe Mass Failure In SSCE, NECO Exams by manny4life(m): 6:28pm On Nov 05, 2009
First off, anyone going for an exam has to read so you can pass. Although it's true that the schools are less equipped, but plz how many of you classes actually require lab? And even those that do, how often do u use the lab? I can understand that if the students don't have text books, but here is a suggestion of what students do (photocopy). 70% of failures is pretty much on the student, yes the govt played its role, but the fault is from the students.
Re: Presidency To Probe Mass Failure In SSCE, NECO Exams by slimes(m): 2:11pm On Nov 06, 2009
It is an agelong problem that has accumulated right from the time Government neglected the grass root teachers.
Re: Presidency To Probe Mass Failure In SSCE, NECO Exams by kajadman: 7:04pm On Nov 09, 2009
salvation is a personal affair and so education what most of us dont know is that seventy% of the world leaders where people born into poor homes but they had to make a choice.what i see today in our schools today are children who concentrate more on gaining swagar and not academic excellence we have to be steight to our selves. if you want a place in the sun you have to be ready to put up with few blisters.
Re: Presidency To Probe Mass Failure In SSCE, NECO Exams by viaro: 8:02pm On Nov 09, 2009
It's obviously an experiment that failed. It didn't happen today or yesterday, the seed has been sown a long time. So, setting up an ad hoc committee to 'find out' anything here is to take the same result we already know back to the government corridors and divide more loot. Someone once quipped that in 'Africa's giant' (Nigeria), the best thing that ever comes through its doors is non-productive education. It's all an experiment, folks. . (and blimey. . did I spell that right)
Re: Presidency To Probe Mass Failure In SSCE, NECO Exams by Graceruth: 4:20am On Apr 18, 2012
Its not the student fault, infact is the neco body, dnt put all d blame on stdnts, if sum scripts are 2 b rmarkd, 80pacent culd jst makd it, Neco am begng u dis year mark my papers ryt if nt u wil ansa 2 God. U jst nid yearly customas.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Even With My Score Unilag Refused ME Admission / How Best To Decorate A Student's Room In The University / See What Caused The FUTA Fight (pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.