Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,808 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:52 AM

Balancing The Prosperity Message - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Balancing The Prosperity Message (549 Views)

The Impact Of Benny Hinn’s Rejection Of The Prosperity Gospel In Africa / Benny Hinn Repents Of The "Prosperity Gospel" - Daddy Freeze Reacts / Why It Is Wrong To Tell Nigerians To Dump God Because Of The Prosperity In China (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Balancing The Prosperity Message by God2man(m): 8:19pm On Nov 15, 2016
In Nigeria today, messages on prosperity have been overpreached, so many books, so many tapes, so many sermons, so many cds, still counting. Then we begin to ask ourselves with all these sermons, books, tapes, cds so many Nigerians and of course some christians are strugling to make it in life.
Yet, it is not that the message is not Biblical, it is scriptural but the question is, does God want all christians to be rich?
The answer to this question is Yes to some extent and also No to a certain degree, do not get me wrong, i am not saying God wants you to be poor, No! Far from it . What i am discussing is that God is all kmowing, he knows the danger of trusting in uncertain riches, God knows that we can put too much trust in wealth that the enjoyment will be so much that we forget him.
I believe God prefers to give us those things we need now and continue to teach us on how to be contented with the little we have until we are now mature for the harvest.

Let's be scriptural. 1 Timothy 6:6-10 "But Godliness with contentment is great gain
For we brought nothing into this world and it is certain we can carry nothing out
And having food and raiment let us be therewith content
But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolosh and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition
For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith and pierced themselves through with many sorrows"

Again, Philippians 4:11-12 " Not that i speak in respect of want: for i have learned, in whatsoever state i am, therewith to be content.
I know both how to be abased, and i know how to be abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need."

So the bottomline is contentment and not getting rich by all means.
The truth is money is good. The temptation to be wealthy is too much for some christians but money is not the only thing the devil can use to make you fall, he can use women to seduce you.

We need to be watchful and be very careful with the wind of the desire to be rich by all means.
It is a form of satanic diversion. This desire will make christians to loose focus from so many heavenly treasure.

Christianity nowadays seems to me to be focusing on the earthly things, very few people are concerned with spiritual growth.
, Are there no other things to pursue again apart from money?

Have we forgorteen what the book of colosians said Colossians 3:1-2 " if ye be risen with christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God.
Set your affections on things above, not things on the earth."

There are wonderful spiritual gifts above we can earnestly covet. What are we doing to pray them into our lives.
To be continued.
Re: Balancing The Prosperity Message by peacesamuel94(m): 9:09pm On Nov 15, 2016
God2man:
In Nigeria today, messages on prosperity have been overpreached, so many books, so many tapes, so many sermons, so many cds, still counting. Then we begin to ask ourselves with all these sermons, books, tapes, cds so many Nigerians and of course some christians are strugling to make it in life.
Yet, it is not that the message is not Biblical, it is scriptural but the question is, does God want all christians to be rich?
The answer to this question is Yes to some extent and also No to a certain degree, do not get me wrong, i am not saying God wants you to be poor, No! Far from it . What i am discussing is that God is all kmowing, he knows the danger of trusting in uncertain riches, God knows that we can put too much trust in wealth that the enjoyment will be so much that we forget him.
I believe God prefers to give us those things we need now and continue to teach us on how to be contented with the little we have until we are now mature for the harvest.

Let's be scriptural. 1 Timothy 6:6-10 "But Godliness with contentment is great gain
For we brought nothing into this world and it is certain we can carry nothing out
And having food and raiment let us be therewith content
But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolosh and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition
For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erref from thebfaitb, and pierced themselves through withany sorrows"

Again, Philippians 4:11-12 " Not that i speak in respect of want

So the bottomline is contentment and not getting rich by all means.
To be continued.

One thing I've noticed, is that the prosperity message is usually misinterpreted.
The prosperity message is an all encompassing message and should not be mistaken for just Financial prosperity.

I've seen people criticizing preachers for overemphasizing on the message of prosperity instead of teaching more on salvation of souls, such people are ignorant of the fact that salvation is in fact "spiritual prosperity"

The word Prosperity is gotten from the word "prosper", so when a pastor preaches on how to prosper in your health, finances, academics, spiritual life etc, such a pastor is a prosperity preacher and should not be mistaken for someone that promotes the doctrine of wealth over that of salvation.
Re: Balancing The Prosperity Message by God2man(m): 9:28pm On Nov 15, 2016
peacesamuel94:

One thing I've noticed, is that the prosperity message is usually misinterpreted.
The prosperity message is an all encompassing message and should not be mistaken for just Financial prosperity.

I've seen people criticizing preachers for overemphasizing on the message of prosperity instead of teaching more on salvation of souls, such people are ignorant of the fact that salvation is in fact "spiritual prosperity"

The word Prosperity is gotten from the word "prosper", so when a pastor preaches on how to prosper in your health, finances, academics, spiritual life etc, such a pastor is a prosperity preacher and should not be mistaken for someone that promotes the doctrine of wealth over that of salvation.

You are correct but you need to know that God may not want to harm his children who are still babies or unregenerated by entrusting them with uncertain riches that will eventually lead to their destruction.

You see my brother, if you see the way the ungodly people are looking for money now you will be sorry for this generation.
The truth is, some christians are now forsaking the cross to seek for the milk and honey the devil is presenting before them.

Some so called christians are now involved in dirty deals that bring quick money.

Quick money is quick death.

I am aware that without money the gospel will be downgraded but the bottomline of this message is to be careful then prayerfully seek for God's divine provision instead of pursuing uncertain riches.
Re: Balancing The Prosperity Message by peacesamuel94(m): 9:34pm On Nov 15, 2016
God2man:

You are correct but you need to know that God may not want to harm his children who are still babies or unregenerated by entrusting them with uncertain riches that will eventually lead to their destruction.

You see my brother, if you see the way the ungodly people are looking for money now you will be sorry for this generation.
The truth is, some christians are now forsaking the cross to seek for the milk and honey the devil is presenting before them.

Some so called christians are now involved in dirty deals that bring quick money. Quick money is quick death.

I am aware that without money the gospel will be downgraded but the bottomline of this message is to be careful then prayerfully seek for God's divine provision instead of pursuing uncertain riches.

OK Now I get your point.

(1) (Reply)

Please Any Good Ministerial College In Anambra/Enugu? / Is Devil Really A Lair? / Check Out Uniuyo Student Who Died Today In Reigners Bible Church Collapsed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.