Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,942 members, 7,817,765 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:56 PM

Lagos Police Trust Fund @ N4.7b (voluntary Donations) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Police Trust Fund @ N4.7b (voluntary Donations) (1997 Views)

Nigerian Senate Set To Spend N4.7b On 120 Toyota Land Cruisers For Saraki, Other / Police IG, MD Abubakar In N4.7b Shares Scandal / Nigeria Spent N4.7B To Import Umbrellas & Headgear In 3 Months (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Police Trust Fund @ N4.7b (voluntary Donations) by babapupa: 4:30am On Nov 04, 2009

The Lagos State governor, Babatunde Fashola, on Thursday restated the need for State Police to supplement the inadequacy of the Nigeria Police.

"For me, the question of a State Police is no longer if, it is when," he said. "Should a State that has its own House of Assembly, university, and hospitals not have its own police? What are we afraid of?"

Mr. Fashola said this on Thursday at the third town hall meeting on security, which is annually held by the Lagos state security trust fund, a public private partnership for improvement of policing in Lagos State.

He made the statement against the background that about 33,000 police officers in the Lagos command of the Nigeria Police cannot effectively police about 18 million people.

The focus of the meeting, which was titled "sustaining and growing the security model," was to present an overview of the status of security in the state and launch the trust fund website with an e-donation capability which gives everyone the chance to donate any amount through the online/ATM portal.

He said the State has procured two helicopters, which are customised for emergency evacuation, aerial security survey, and quick response, from Bell Corporation.

"No country has ever been able to get away with reducing spending on law enforcement and security. I call on those who have contributed before to do so again in our collective interest. I particularly call on those yet to contribute, both corporate and private entities whose improved security could be said to have been subsidised by those who have donated, to do so now, in particular to the tank farm owners, Nigeria National Petroleum Corporation, Nigeria Ports Authority, and other agencies engaged in economic activity around Apapa and Atlas Cove area," Said Mr. Fashola .

About the fund

The law that established the Lagos State security trust fund was the first to be passed by the Lagos State house of assembly in September 2007; the agency was inaugurated in November, 2007.

"The objectives of the fund were to raise money through voluntary donations from government agencies, private organisations and individuals. The money thus raised is to be used for the acquisition and deployment of security equipment as shall be found necessary for the effective functioning of all federal, State, and local government and other security agencies operating in Lagos State," said Fola Arthur-Worrey, the Executive Secretary of the fund, while delivering the report of the board of trustees.

He disclosed that about N4.7b has been received in cash and kind, since inception till date

"Because of the cost and unending demands of maintaining law and order, the challenge of the Fund is sustainability. As at Sept. 1, the Fund has a balance of N175.9m," he said.

Security account

Marvel Akpoyibo, the commissioner of police, told the gathering, using charts and figures, that the command is winning the fight against crime in the State. This he attributed to the intervention of the Fund. He said some neighbouring states are now complaining of influx of criminals allegedly from Lagos State "because Lagos is now too hot for them."

The commissioner said the state reported a total of 6 kidnap cases in 2008 while 15 have been recorded so far in 2009.

Mr. Akpoyibo added that all of those kidnap cases were solved by the police without any ransom paid.

According to the members of the security trust fund, it has provided the Lagos State police command with: 10 armoured personnel carriers (10 more has been ordered), 300 patrol vans with communication gadgets, one million rounds of live AK47 ammunition, five patrol boats (for the rejuvenated marine police section), 10 BMW power bikes, payment of allowance for members of the RRS, and fuelling of the patrol vans.
Re: Lagos Police Trust Fund @ N4.7b (voluntary Donations) by babapupa: 4:31am On Nov 04, 2009
We'll get there, it's just a matter of time.
Re: Lagos Police Trust Fund @ N4.7b (voluntary Donations) by Fhemmmy: 4:34am On Nov 04, 2009
They make a blv out of me with this, but maintenance will tell if we are truly getting there.
Re: Lagos Police Trust Fund @ N4.7b (voluntary Donations) by babapupa: 4:59am On Nov 04, 2009
I just like the fact that these guys are coming up with ideas and pushing hard. Policing and taking care of 18 million people and 10, 000 daily new arrivals is not an easy task.

I think they're doing OK with maintenance so far.
Re: Lagos Police Trust Fund @ N4.7b (voluntary Donations) by Fhemmmy: 5:01am On Nov 04, 2009
i am glad they are finally thinking ou of the box, but i wont want them to lose sight of things that matters as well.
Re: Lagos Police Trust Fund @ N4.7b (voluntary Donations) by babapupa: 5:28am On Nov 04, 2009
Fhemmmy:

i am glad they are finally thinking ou of the box, but i wont want them to lose sight of things that matters as well.

I'm with you on that one,
Re: Lagos Police Trust Fund @ N4.7b (voluntary Donations) by Isuata: 9:20am On Nov 04, 2009
with pple like dese

political office makes it worthwhile to aspire to becos you know yu want to betta the lots of the pple by breaking development records set and achieved by the previous office holders

better days ahed

ps:hope oda political office holders lern and hope dis creates healthy competition amongst dem
Re: Lagos Police Trust Fund @ N4.7b (voluntary Donations) by babapupa: 3:14pm On Nov 04, 2009
Isu ata:

with pple like dese

political office makes it worthwhile to aspire to becos you know yu want to betta the lots of the pple by breaking development records set and achieved by the previous office holders

better days ahed

ps:hope oda political office holders lern and hope dis creates healthy competition amongst dem

Amen,
Re: Lagos Police Trust Fund @ N4.7b (voluntary Donations) by citizenY(m): 3:25pm On Nov 04, 2009
One thing I am happy about,

THERE IS NO KENNY MARTINS NEAR THIS PURSE cool tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue BRF NA OGBONGE LAWYER, SAN FOR THAT MATTER.
Re: Lagos Police Trust Fund @ N4.7b (voluntary Donations) by proudly9ja(m): 4:48pm On Nov 04, 2009
In addition, may I also suggest that training of officers especially when it comes to relating with the civilian populace whould be included in the model.

I just hope other state governments will take a cue cos if not, in the long run, all may be in vain.

Just maybe residents of other states will begin to task their governors rather than move to Lagos.
Re: Lagos Police Trust Fund @ N4.7b (voluntary Donations) by babapupa: 7:58pm On Nov 04, 2009
proudly9ja:

In addition, may I also suggest that training of officers especially when it comes to relating with the civilian populace whould be included in the model.

I just hope other state governments will take a cue cos if not, in the long run, all may be in vain.

Just maybe residents of other states will begin to task their governors rather than move to Lagos.

That's one thing I think they've been overlooking, there's little no emphasis or training in term of community policing and public relations. The current police mentality is "we are serving the IG in Abuja, not the general public as taxpayer.

There's a lot to copy and emulate, I just don't think other state are in any position to do so because most of these gov.'s don't care, they are clueless about their job descriptions and lack mental disposition to always go the extra mile.

You also have to factor in their level of exposure, education and basic social sophistication of most of these governors.

(1) (Reply)

Special Report: The Asaba Memorial Project / Corruption Is Not Nigeria’s Problem, Jonathan Says / Why Sanusi Lamido Should Be Left Alone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.