Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,951 members, 7,817,793 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:50 PM

Special Report: The Asaba Memorial Project - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Special Report: The Asaba Memorial Project (1997 Views)

The Asaba Central Hospital And State Library Complex Projects By Okowa / New York Times Special Report On Buhari's Inauguration / Reuters Report : The Fuel Subsidy Removal Is Imf Policy For Africa ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Special Report: The Asaba Memorial Project by EzeUche0(m): 8:37pm On Nov 13, 2010
Special Report: The Asaba Memorial Project

October 1967. In Nigeria, on the west coast of Africa, civil war raged. Ethnic and cultural differences fueled the fighting, which followed the secession of the mostly Igbo region to the east of the Niger River, an area renamed Biafra.

Nigerian government troops had arrived in Asaba, an ethnically-Igbo town on the west bank of the Niger that remained part of Nigeria. On Oct. 7, 1967, federal troops gathered up men and older boys, accusing them of Biafran sympathies. They opened fire on the terrified group, and as many as 700 people were slaughtered. The bodies were buried in several unmarked, mass graves. Little historical documentation exists about the killings and for decades it appeared the massacre would remain forgotten.

But in 2001, a few witnesses told their stories to a Nigerian Truth Commission, and the Nigerian head of state during the civil war made a public apology to the people of Asaba.

Now a movement to create a permanent memorial to those killed in the massacre is gathering interest, and several researchers at the University of South Florida are involved.

The USF team, in conjunction with supporters in Asaba and Lagos, Nigeria, and the USF Center for Holocaust and Genocide Studies, are spearheading an Asaba Memorial Project initiative. The goal is to break the silence, honor the dead, develop a historic record of the event and secure funding to build the permanent memorial.

Erin H. Kimmerle, a forensic anthropologist in the USF Department of Anthropology, initiated the project, and first visited Nigeria in 2008. In 2009,S. Elizabeth Bird, professor of  Anthropology, and Fraser Ottanelli, professor and chair of the USF Department of History, traveled to Nigeria to initiate the historical documentation through eye-witness testimony.

Bird and Ottanelli visited Asaba again in June 2010, where more video interviews were conducted with witnesses and survivors of the 1967 shootings and meetings held with community leaders to further the discussion around building a permanent memorial and museum. They are currently writing grants to make that vision a reality.

While Bird and Ottanelli are now leading the historical reconstruction efforts, Kimmerle, along with Chuck Massucci, a Tampa police homicide detective and adjunct instructor in the anthropology department, has been focusing on a project funded by the National Institutes for Justice in which they are working with Lagos State University to provide teaching and training on forensic anthropology to medical staff in the nation largest city. A forensic examination of the Asaba graves is a future possibility.

The group blogged during the June 2010 trip, and their observations, photos and videos are included in the blog, which can be viewed by clicking here.

An overview of the Asaba Memorial Project, can be viewed in this link. It includes historical information, interviews, resources on the project, how to help support the project and contact information.

http://asabamemorial.org/news/press/
Re: Special Report: The Asaba Memorial Project by EzeUche0(m): 8:39pm On Nov 13, 2010
We will never forget.
Re: Special Report: The Asaba Memorial Project by Afam4eva(m): 8:41pm On Nov 13, 2010
EzeUche0:

We will never forget.

We shall forgive but not forget.
Re: Special Report: The Asaba Memorial Project by aljharem(m): 8:42pm On Nov 13, 2010
EzeUche0:

We will never forget.

but they have apologize na cry cry
Re: Special Report: The Asaba Memorial Project by EzeUche0(m): 8:42pm On Nov 13, 2010
afam4eva:

We shall forgive but not forget.

Some of us will. Can't forgive until people show remorse and recognize the many atrocities that were committed against our people.

I am still looking for an apology from northerners about the Pogroms in the North.
Re: Special Report: The Asaba Memorial Project by SapeleGuy: 10:19pm On Nov 13, 2010
How can people forgive when the perpetrator of this crime is immortalised on our currency?
Re: Special Report: The Asaba Memorial Project by EzeUche0(m): 10:20pm On Nov 13, 2010
SapeleGuy:

How can people forgive when the perpetrator of this crime is immortalised on our currency?

Gbam!
Re: Special Report: The Asaba Memorial Project by Dede1(m): 10:29pm On Nov 13, 2010
SapeleGuy:

Splendid indeed and could not have been stated any better.
Re: Special Report: The Asaba Memorial Project by Nobody: 10:33pm On Nov 13, 2010
SapeleGuy:

Even tho a lot do not support the starvation of the Biafrans, Awolowo IS a hero for many.
So that's not going to change anytime soon. Don't be surprise if your hate for Awolowo provokes each Yoruba states to start naming one of their towns after Awolowo. Bi o se n bere ni yen.
Re: Special Report: The Asaba Memorial Project by chyz(m): 10:43pm On Nov 13, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Even tho a lot do not support the starvation of the Biafrans, Awolowo IS a hero for many.
So that's not going to change anytime soon. Don't be surprise if your hate for Awolowo provokes each Yoruba states to start naming one of their towns after Awolowo. Bi o se n bere ni yen.

You all can name whatever you want till kingdom awolowo as long as it is done in your own land that's your business.
Re: Special Report: The Asaba Memorial Project by Nobody: 10:44pm On Nov 13, 2010
chyz:

You all can name whatever you want till kingdom awolowo as long as it is done in your own land that's your business.
Was there any question about that before?
Re: Special Report: The Asaba Memorial Project by chyz(m): 10:46pm On Nov 13, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Was there any question about that before?

You bring up awolowo but the person he was talking about on the currency is Murtala Mohammed. I guess you haven't been back home in a while.
Re: Special Report: The Asaba Memorial Project by Nobody: 10:51pm On Nov 13, 2010
chyz:

You bring up awolowo but the person he was talking about on the currency is Murtala Mohammed. I guess you haven't been back home in a while.
Alright wink
Re: Special Report: The Asaba Memorial Project by EzeUche0(m): 11:08pm On Nov 13, 2010
chyz:

I told you all about her! lol

You can tell she hasn't been back home. Everyone knows he is on ₦ 20 Naira.
Re: Special Report: The Asaba Memorial Project by Beaf: 11:17pm On Nov 13, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

I am quite sure SapeleGuy was talking about Murtala Muhammed who slaughtered all males above the age of 10 in Asaba (I might be mistaken though). Murtala is emblazoned on our currency.
Also, I think the support for Awo might not be felt as strongly outside Yoruba land as it is within; indeed, sometimes people speak the truth when they condemn a couple of things Awo did (afterall, he was human). Some others however, say stup!d things, because they are tribal lords. It is only the latter that heat should be turned on.
Re: Special Report: The Asaba Memorial Project by Nobody: 11:22pm On Nov 13, 2010
Beaf:

I am quite sure SapeleGuy was talking about Murtala Muhammed who slaughtered all males above the age of 10 in Asaba (I might be mistaken though). Murtala is emblazoned on our currency.
Also, I think the support for Awo might not be felt as strongly outside Yoruba land as it is within; indeed, sometimes people speak the truth when they condemn a couple of things Awo did (afterall, he was human). Some others however, say stup!d things, because they are tribal lords. It is only the latter that heat should be turned on.
Thanks, no you're not mistaken. I only assumed they were yarning about awolowo again because he's their main man and no one mentioned the amount of currency they were talking about.
As for the support and criticism of Awolowo, it's not my affair. He was human, he did bad and he did good is all I've been hearing.
Re: Special Report: The Asaba Memorial Project by Dede1(m): 11:37pm On Nov 13, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

You are a big disappointment and believe me it is an understatement. Granted you have the tendency to grab Nigerian history at the wrong end, you should have ingested the theme of the post before embarking on your tribally tinted rant. People who cry wolf are really incarnates of the beast.
Re: Special Report: The Asaba Memorial Project by Dede1(m): 11:39pm On Nov 13, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Thanks, no you're not mistaken. [b]I only assumed they were yarning about awolowo again because he's their main man and no one mentioned the amount of currency they were talking about.[/b]As for the support and criticism of Awolowo, it's not my affair. He was human, he did bad and he did good is all I've been hearing.

Assumption is a code word for losers.
Re: Special Report: The Asaba Memorial Project by Nobody: 11:41pm On Nov 13, 2010
Dede1:

[b]You are a big disappointment and believe me it is an understatement. [/b]Granted you have the tendency to grab Nigerian history at the wrong end, you should have ingested the theme of the post before embarking on your tribally tinted rant. People who cry wolf are really incarnates of the beast.  

Dude shut up. Let the likes of Beaf talk, stand in the corner. Have you had your latest dose of awolowo and fabricated history  today? wink
Can you imagine?

Dede1:

Assumption is a code word for losers.
LOL! You, of course, would know.
Re: Special Report: The Asaba Memorial Project by Katsumoto: 11:51pm On Nov 13, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Thanks, no you're not mistaken. I only assumed they were yarning about awolowo again because he's their main man and no one mentioned the amount of currency they were talking about.
As for the support and criticism of Awolowo, it's not my affair. He was human, he did bad and he did good is all I've been hearing.

O lon be. Be very careful.   angry
Re: Special Report: The Asaba Memorial Project by Nobody: 11:54pm On Nov 13, 2010
Katsumoto:

O lon be. Be very careful.   angry
Somehow, I was expecting you to show up. Anytime someone mentions Awolowo, Dede1 jumps in. Anytime Dede1 wants to start his garbage prophecy, you jump in.

Well, eku igbadun. mi tie fe le sibe.
Re: Special Report: The Asaba Memorial Project by EzeUche0(m): 11:56pm On Nov 13, 2010
My dearest Ileke-Idi, you have a lot to learn about Nigerian history I am sad to say.  cry If something pertains to Asaba and massacre, people will bring up Murtala Mohammed. . . Not Awolowo!  angry

Do not soil this memorial thread to the people who lost their lives in that incident.
Re: Special Report: The Asaba Memorial Project by Nobody: 12:01am On Nov 14, 2010
EzeUche0:

My dearest Ileke-Idi, you have a lot to learn about Nigerian history I am sad to say.  cry If something pertains to Asaba and massacre, people will bring up Murtala Mohammed. . . Not Awolowo!  angry

Do not soil this memorial thread to the people who lost their lives in that incident.
Ok, can you guys then discuss, so that I can "learn"?
Abi, what am I supposed to learn from "We will never forget" or from Dede1's usual garbage undecided
Re: Special Report: The Asaba Memorial Project by EzeUche0(m): 12:04am On Nov 14, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Ok, can you guys then discuss, so that I can "learn"?
Abi, what am I supposed to learn from "We will never forget" or from Dede1's usual garbage undecided

Read this. . . http://usfweb3.usf.edu/absoluteNM/templates/?a=1762&z=40

I hope it explains everything. Asaba brings out a lot of emotions. Especially, amongst the Delta Igbo themselves who suffered I believe the most of any Igbo group. 2/3 of their population was wiped out during the war.
Re: Special Report: The Asaba Memorial Project by Nobody: 12:05am On Nov 14, 2010
EzeUche0:

I hope it explains everything. Asaba brings out a lot of emotions. Especially, amongst the Delta Igbo themselves who suffered I believe the most of any Igbo group. 2/3 of their population was wiped out during the war.

Thanks. . . .
Re: Special Report: The Asaba Memorial Project by aljharem(m): 12:32am On Nov 14, 2010
cry cry cry cry cry cry
murtala did a great disservice to the hausa and nigeria as a nation cry cry cry
kill people as if they are not people is very very sad and painful cry cry cry
please my fellow country men should never allow people in power to do indiscriminate killing of people anyhow

EzeUche0:

ezeuche,

how is it 2/3 of there population, where did u get this information from
i would like sources please because the link above says otherwise
Re: Special Report: The Asaba Memorial Project by kettykin: 11:58am On Nov 14, 2010
Those who committed such crimes against humanity should be brought to book no matter how highly placed . It is obivous the murdered people didn't forgive Nigera their blood could be crying for vengeance , that is why Nigeria is in such a big mess today.

Those who killed innocent people in Odi and zakibiam should be tried too.

Enough of shedding innocent blood by an inept , over bloated and incompetent soldiers whose only achievement was taking 3 years to quash a local rebellion inspite of world super power supportm
Re: Special Report: The Asaba Memorial Project by SapeleGuy: 12:12pm On Nov 14, 2010
^^^ Very well put.
Re: Special Report: The Asaba Memorial Project by redsun(m): 12:20pm On Nov 14, 2010
Unfortunately no lesson was leant from nigerian civil,the whole bloodletting was in vain.Same mediocrity,same backwardness,same corruption,same tribalism,same blind loyalty and prejudices are the order of the day in today's nigeria.
Re: Special Report: The Asaba Memorial Project by seanet02: 12:31pm On Nov 14, 2010
Its a pity easterners dont like telling the truth!! Though i will never support killing of innocent people, but a situation whereby docile posters like dede come here to post junks can not be condoned. Why could you be blaming AWOLOWO when he was not the person that started the war, AWOLOWO diplomatically wanted ibos to win the war in the early stages, but have to change sides when the rather blood thirty ojukwu the bingo wanted to overrun his people or its only Gowon that lives in lagos? Didnt YORUBA people got killed by the invading biafra troops at ore? So you ethnic bigots expect AWOLOWO in his capacity as the undisputed leader of YORUBA land fold his arms and let ojukwu the bingo override his people? The fact remains ojukwu is the remote cause of any bereavement unleashed on ibos during the war.

1 Like

Re: Special Report: The Asaba Memorial Project by redsun(m): 12:37pm On Nov 14, 2010
He who fights and run away lives to fight another day.The war is not over yet because the problem is getting worse.Nigeria is disintegrating on a very fast pace.
Re: Special Report: The Asaba Memorial Project by Dawgpound: 1:33pm On Nov 14, 2010
A nation led by vicious bloodthirsty men. If I'm igbo ppl hausa-fulani ppl won't be finding life easy in the East.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Corruption Is Not Nigeria’s Problem, Jonathan Says / Why Sanusi Lamido Should Be Left Alone / EBOLA: Funny Reactions Of A Cross Section Of Nairalanders..lol

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.